Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Once more into the quran, dear friends, once more.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Eid al-Adha is around the corner insha'Allah  (Read 1700 times)
nuh
« on: Nov 17, 2008 02:01 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

With Eid al-Adha right around the corner, I am curious about the different customs and traditions members of this board do to celebrate the day.

What are some of the differences with regards to the celebration of Eid ul-Fitr?

Ma'as salaam,
nuh
 bro
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2008 10:35 AM »

wsalam,

Over here Eid al Adha is a little more downkey than the Ramadan Eid because we don't have the big buildup of fasting/last 10 days and stuff. We end up doing the usual, going to the eid prayer, hugging/salams,taking pics, then going out to eat then visiting someones house or hanging out during the day. At night we usually have a family dinner out. On the weekend we usually have a big community dinner which is nice.

One Eid we decided to go out to a farm which this palestinian couple bought, actually she's palestinian, He's connecticut old-money convert guy who decided to buy a farm in the boonies! So it was very interesting and wayyy fun. The bros did the qurbani and we just ran around the farm hanging out and having a picnic. Then we came home got dressed up in the mosque bathroom and had a good community dinner that night  Grin
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2008 05:28 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

I am curious about the different customs and traditions members of this board do to celebrate the day.

Well my brother was born on Eid ul Adha and our daughter was born on the day of Arafah so we spend the time celebrating their bir…..ermm jk Wink

But seriously, nowadays I find myself wondering what the Hujjaj are doing in Makkah, Mina, Arafah etc and recalling what I was doing when I was there.

It’s a shame but the whole tradition of going out and slaughtering an animal to commemorate the sacrifice of Ibrahim as and his son Ismail as is a bit lost in this modern age.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2008 12:54 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
Cant believe its almost here Smiley
The big difference for us is Qurbani Smiley .

It has been our tradition since last 6 or 7 years that we go for Eid prayers, meet everyone there, eat Smiley and then go for Qurbani and almost rest of the day is dedicated to the goat Smiley - since we wait for the meat to take home and its usually couple of hours , then after coming home making small packets and using our "tetris skills" to fit everything in freezer Smiley. I usually cook biryani and sheer khorma(desert)  the night befroe  so that once we come back we have something to eat.
Since last year we found a wonderful farm where its more fun(before that it was just a slaughter place where you can barely touch goats). Last year my kids ran among the goats(ofcourse after changing their Eid clothes Smiley ) and they were catching goats. My husband (and two other brothers ) were the designated slaughter guys Smiley and their was a team of brothers for taking the skin and making comparatively small pieces. We took some snacks( chik peas, dahi baray, sandwhiches cookies , chips and ofcourse tea)  and had our picnic there. Inshallah we are planing on going this year also( if I could I will post pic of our goat also Smiley).
And ofcourse before Eid , there is always a confusion of which day to fast the day of Arafah or 9 at our local place Smiley

Wasalam
tq
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2008 06:51 PM »

salaam

Here is another perspective:  http://www.islamveg.com/sacrifice.asp

What do you think?
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2008 06:16 AM »

ws,

It's allowed for Muslims to be vegetarians but not everyone is into that! It would be interesting to see someone try to zabiha a tofu for Eid al adha  Lips Sealed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: