Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Apr 17, 2014 02:00 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: when you hear the adhan ...  (Read 2108 times)
timbuktu
« on: Nov 21, 2008 07:16 AM »

peace be upon you

Living in a place where the adhan is heard inside the mosque, or at Eid prayers in open grounds, you go to a place where the call to prayers is over the loudspeaker. You are in the market, in a house, at work, strolling through the park, or in the midst of any in/activity, and you hear the call. What is your feeling then?

when you hear the adhan …
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2008 06:08 PM »

i don't know.  i hear it about 20 times a day.  its actually pretty weird.  the first time you hear it, you say a dua, but then some other mosque gives out its athan, and you just ignore it.  eventually, you start to ignore it more and more...

strange, eh? 

if you lived in non-muslim country, you'd like never ignore it.  but in a muslim country, the repetition causes you to kindof ignore it?

am i weird or what?

timbuktu
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2008 01:45 AM »

peace be upon you

I wouldn't say you are weird. Familiarity breeds ignorance, I guess.

It is only once for each time of Salah that one is required to answer and say the dua. That is five times a day. After that, one is supposed to get busy into preparation for the actual Salah. In the Muslim countries, since adhan from different mosques sometimes overlap, the answering may be confusing, but I do manage to get through it. For me hearing it again after many years was like being set free.

It is indeed the declaration which sets you free:

Woh ik sajda jisay tu graan samajhta haey
Hazaar sajdon sey deta haey nijaat

That one prostration that you consider difficult (to perform)
Gives you relief from a thousand prostrations (to false gods)

--- Iqbal

P.S. I thought you were in the US. Is the adhan said over the loudspeaker in your mosques?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: