// Michael Jackson converts to Islam (Finally) - Innah lillah...
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Accountability: The Prophet said: 'The burden of proof is upon the plaintiff and the taking of oath is upon the defendant.' (Sunan Al-Bayhaqî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Jackson converts to Islam (Finally) - Innah lillah...  (Read 5853 times)
nuh
« on: Nov 21, 2008 11:48 PM »

London, Nov 21 (PTI)

Pop singer Michael Jackson has converted to Islam and changed his name to Mikaeel.
The 50-year-old star, pledged his allegiance to the Koran in a ceremony at a friend's mansion in Los Angeles, the Sun reported.

Jackson sat on the floor wearing a tiny hat after an Imam was summoned to officiate -- days before the singer is due to appear at London's High Court where he is being sued by an Arab Sheik, the paper said.

The star decided to adopt the new religion while he was recording a song at the home of his friend where a Jehovah's witness was brought up to help him through the ceremony.

Apparently the star of hits like 'the Way You Make Me Feel-was convinced by his producer and songwriter friends David Wharnsby and Phillip Bubal.

"They began talking to him about their beliefs, and how they thought they had become better people after they converted. Michael soon began warming to the idea.

"An Imam was summoned from the mosque and Michael went through the shahada, which is the Muslim declaration of belief," the source revealed.

Mikaeel is the name of one of Allah's angels.

"Jacko rejected an alternative name, Mustafa meaning "the chosen one", the source added.

The singer, who rarely ventures out without a mask, is due to give evidence on Monday in a 4.7 million pound lawsuit brought by Prince Abdulla Al-Khalif of Bahrain for defaulting on an exclusive recording contract. PTI

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/3494296/Michael-Jackson-converts-to-Islam-and-changes-name-to-Mikaeel.html
nuh
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2008 11:49 PM »

Indo-Asian News Service

Troubled pop star Michael Jackson has converted to Islam and changed his name to Mikaeel.

Jackson, 50, was dressed in the Islamic garb as he pledged his allegiance to the Koran at a friend's house in Los Angeles. He sat on the floor as an Imam was called to officiate the ceremony.

Jackson, who was raised a Jehovah's Witness, decided to convert after discussing religion with a music producer and songwriter on his new album - both of them converts to Islam.

"They began talking to him about their beliefs and how they thought they had become better people after they converted. Michael soon began warming to the idea. An Imam was summoned, and Michael went through the shahada, which is the Muslim declaration of belief," a source was quoted as saying.

Mikaeel is the name of one of Allah's angels.
nuh
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2008 11:51 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

96 other links...

http://news.google.ca/news?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&tab=wn&ncl=1272831787&hl=en
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2008 03:15 AM »

ws,

I remember discussing this topic way back when... I dunno... I kind of have to see the video of him saying the shahada to believe it. Let's hope if he did, it brings some peace and guidance to his life.

ws
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2008 11:34 AM »

Assalamualaikum,

The 50-year-old star, pledged his allegiance to the Koran in a ceremony at a friend's mansion in Los Angeles

Should have thought the media knew at least the basics of Islam by now.

Michael Jackson is such a controversial figure, let's hope he is sincere in his beliefs and doesn't add to Islam's already tarnished image.

Wassalam

a_desert_rose

nuh
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2008 12:06 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

Congratulations to our dear brother Mikaeel.  He has done well to follow the truth, and seek success in the afterlife.  May Allah guide him and give him beneficial knowledge to help complete his entrance into Islam and stay on the path of truth.  We should all feel happy for our new brother in Islam, since Islam erases what came before it.  I make dua that Allah makes him firm on the deen.  Ameen.

May Allah also shower His rewards on brother Dawud Wharnsby, who has inspired so many through his dawah work and nasheed.  May Allah give him the highest level of Jannah, and accept his efforts.

And Allah knows best.

Well said and Ameen!

nuh
 bro
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2009 12:28 AM »

Inna lillah wa inna ilaihi rajeoon.

Just heard that he passed away from cardiac arrest. This is so sad. I pray he did say shahada before he died. I hope they do janazah for him as well Sad

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090625/ap_on_en_mu/us_obit_michael_jackson

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2009 06:51 AM »

too sad  :'(

Innalilahi wa inaelayhi raajioon
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2009 07:03 AM »

Innalilahi wa inaelayhi raajioon.  Its indeed very sad.  

He once said he was afraid of dying.  I don't remember when but I read it somewhere.

He was truly handsome in his original form before the nose surgery and change of colour.

And was truly a musical legend.  

During my recent US visit, we (my nieces and I) spent a day in Chicago and passed through Indiana to and from Chicago.  On the return leg we stopped in Gary, Indiana, where he was born,  to re-fuel.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2009 07:07 AM »

Jermaine his bro mentioned at the end of his address 'May Allah be with you.."
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2009 09:34 AM »

innalillah

Truly sad. I have to many memories of his music in my younger days, listening to his songs in the car or at home. I even have that movie called "Moon walker" and all of his 5 hit albums. So sad. Indeed I hope he was able to say the Kalma and that his Shahahad was sincere and that he, like his brother, realized the Truth. May He Rest in Peace. He had quite a life.

desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Jun 26, 2009 05:23 PM »

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raajiun.

Sad he was one of those people that almost seem as if they don't belong on earth.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #12 on: Jun 26, 2009 09:12 PM »

Makes one almost thankful they're not rich and famous. Such troubled lives.

================================

Upon The Passing of Michael Jackson
By Imam Zaid on 25 June 2009
Category: Civility

Like the light of a meteor streaking across the crisp, cold, clear sky of a winter’s night, Michael Jackson, streaked across the sky defining this country’s cultural horizons. None of us coming of age in urban America will forget Michael’s debut onto the public stage with his brothers as part of the phenomenally successful Jackson 5. Hit after hit, “I Want You Back,” “ABC,” “The Love You Save,” “I’ll Be There,” rocketed up the Billboard Charts to number one. I can still reel them all off from memory some forty years later. For better or worse, they are indelibly etched into my mind, and have played a part in defining my soul.

Although I was a couple of years older than Michael, I joined the ranks of unsuccessful Michael Jackson wannabes. At the time it seemed worth the effort as all of girls had gone head over heels for Michael, and just a fraction of his dynamic appeal could reap huge dividends in terms of one’s popularity. The ‘hood was in love with Michael and he apparently had the talent to fulfill the lofty and ever increasing expectations placed upon his slim young shoulders.

However, as the sixties rolled, or limped, into the seventies and the Jackson 5 began to cool off, eventually leaving the Motown label that had launched their incredible success, many of my friends, as well as myself, were attracted to different musical genres, more mature fare. Topping my personal list was WAR, Stevie Wonder, Santana, and Mandrill. I also began to listen to a lot of jazz, and accumulated quite a large album collection. Whenever, I received my weekly wages from whatever job I was engaged in at the time, and I had many in my youth –security guard, lathe operator, UPS warehouseman—I would head straight to the record store and add to my collection.

What I couldn’t afford to buy, I would get from the radio, my preferred listening hours were three and four o’clock in the morning, when the brother manning the controls at an FM station coming out of Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut would put out some serious jazz. I would stay awake listening until just before dawn, sleep a couple of hours and drag myself off to work.

As the years went by I lost that passion for music. Perhaps my waning interest was aided by my little nephews who turned part of my album collection into a stack of customized frisbees when I went off to the Air Force in 1976. It was definitely aided by Islam. After my conversion in 1977, there was no one around to tell me that music was Haram (forbidden). However, as I grew in the religion, the enchanting melodies of the Qur’an became far more appealing than the increasingly commercialized musical fare. For example, George Benson’s offerings starting sounding more like Muzak than the rifts of a jazz purist who rivaled Wes Montgomery.

I would eventually give away what was left of my record collection. At the time I had left the Air Force and was studying in Washington DC at American University. However, I lived a few blocks from Howard University. I drove over to one of the used music vendors on the edge of the campus and made his day as I unloaded a box of cassette tapes and albums.

During those years I had lost touch with what Michael Jackson was doing. I knew he had “blown up” as the young folks say today and that as a solo performer he was reaching heights of fame and popularity that not even Elvis had obtained. I would also read in the tabloids that caught my eyes as I waited to check out at the grocery store of the increasingly strange exploits Michael was involved in, the plastic surgeries, something about the bones of the Elephant Man, sleeping in a transparent, refrigerated crypt, the allegations of sexual abuse, the fantasy ranch in California, and on and on.

It was obvious that Michael was troubled. For sure the physical and psychological abuse visited upon him by a sick father was a large part of the problems that were plaguing Michael as he moved further into his adult years. Surely, the childhood that was denied him as he was thrust into the sinful rigors of show business at the tender age of eight, opening for strip tease acts on the “Chitlin’ Circuit,” in smoke-filled rooms wreaking of alcohol, was part of his troubles. Surely, the confusion of being caught between a devout mother struggling to raise her children as Jehovah’s Witnesses and a fanatically strict, violent and profligate father was part of Michael’s problem.

But I was only able to catch glimpses and snippets of Michael’s life from a distance, hearing a bit here from a well-meaning niece, or catching a bit there on television, before I would take Jerry Mander’s advice and relegate my television to the garbage heap. If Michael was becoming a side show he wasn’t performing for me. Caught up in Islamic activism, during a time my friends and I refer to as “the heady days of the revolution” I had little time to reflect on such matters, I was too busy doing my part to change the world.

However, last year Michael’s name came up again. A good friend who is a reliable source of information called and said that Michael had become Muslim.  Allah knows best if he did or did not. However, Michael was no stranger to the religion, having been exposed to it by his brother Jermaine, who had converted to the faith in 1989.*

Now Michael is gone. Hopefully, he had found peace in Islam. Hopefully, the tears he cried in the privacy of his oftentimes lonely world, tears described by Smokey Robinson as those of a clown, shed when no one’s around, had dried. Michael was an icon, a pain-filled, troubled icon, and like many of comparable stature before him, and inevitably many after him, his fall was sudden and unexpected. Hopefully, his faith, if he did indeed convert to Islam, helped to cushion that fall.

* An earlier version of this article mentioned that Dawud Warnsby had assisted in Michael Jackson’s conversion to Islam. He has denied that. This article has been amended to exclude that claim. In writing this essay, I was given information from sources I considered reliable that Michael had indeed become Muslim. Obviously, the part about Dawud Warnsby is not true. However, there have been many reports throughout the media concerning Michael becoming Muslim. Allah knows best as to their veracity.

http://www.newislamicdirections.com/nid/articles_comments/upon_the_passing_of_michael_jackson/
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2009 09:36 PM »

Dawud Wharnsby from his blog reiterates that the article in the SUN reported incorrectly and Michael did not take shahada with him ;(
http://wharnsby.com/blog1/2009/06/26/the-passing-of-michael-jackson/
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2009 09:07 AM »

From Zaytuna website:

Shock Dead, Everybody’s Gone Mad: Reflections on the Death of Michael Jackson
By Hamza Yusuf

On the news
Everybody’s dog food
Bang bang
Shock dead
Everybody’s gone mad…

From “They Don’t Care About Us” by Michael Jackson

As a little boy, Michael Jackson had an extraordinary charisma — as well as an absolute innocence — that was disarmingly charming. It captivated millions of Americans and eventually people around the world.

As the years went by, his career took strange turns and he slowly turned white, transforming his face eerily into a pale and ghastly masque, perhaps to conceal the pain of alienation from his own self and family. He was also rumored to have unsavory predilections that would never have been suggested if one used the rigorous criteria of Islam before hurling an accusation. Despite the rumors, he appeared to have had a genuine concern for children, wanting to provide them with a world that was denied to him as a child due to the abuses he claimed to have suffered.

I was very happy for him last year when he reportedly became a Muslim. He had apparently followed the footsteps of his dignified and intelligent brother, Jermaine, who converted to Islam 20 years ago and found peace. It seemed befitting that Michael sought refuge from a society that thrives on putting people on pedestals and then knocking them down. He was accused of many terrible things, but was guilty of perhaps being far too sensitive for an extremely cruel world. Such is the fate of many artistic people in our culture of nihilistic art, where the dominant outlet for their talents is in singing hollow pop songs or dancing half-naked in front of ogling onlookers who often leave them as quickly as they clung to them for the next latest sensation.

In the manner of Elvis or the Beatles, Michael is unwittingly both a cause and a symptom of America’s national obsession with celebrity, currently on display in the American Idol mania. Celebrity trumps catastrophe every time. Far too few of us make any attempt to understand why jobs are drying up, why mortgages are collapsing, why we spend half-a-trillion dollars to service the interest on the national debt, why our government’s administration, despite being elected on an anti-war platform, is still committed to two unnecessary and unjust wars waged by the earlier administration, wars that continue to involve civilians casualties on an almost daily basis. Instead, we drown in trivia, especially trivia related to celebrity. And the response to Michael’s death is part of the trivial pursuits of American popular culture. The real news about death in America is that twenty Iraq and Afghan war veterans are committing suicide every day. But that does not make the front page nor is it discussed as seriously as the King of Pop’s cardiac arrest.

Nevertheless, Michael’s very public death notice is a powerful reminder that no matter how famous or talented or wealthy one is, death comes knocking, sometimes sooner than later. Michael has now entered a world of extraordinary perception, a world that makes his “Thriller” video seem mundane. It is a world of angels and demons, and questions in the grave, a world where fame is based upon piety and charity. Given Michael’s reported conversion to Islam last year, Muslims count him as one of our own, and we pray that he can finally find the peace he never found in this world and that he is in a place, God willing, of mercy, forgiveness, and solace.
moe19x
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
moe19x has no influence :(

« Reply #15 on: Jun 28, 2009 04:45 PM »

WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #16 on: Jun 28, 2009 07:47 PM »

Dawud Wharnsby from his blog reiterates that the article in the SUN reported incorrectly and Michael did not take shahada with him ;(
http://wharnsby.com/blog1/2009/06/26/the-passing-of-michael-jackson/

While he may not have taken his shahadah with DW, it does sound like he still did convert: an old article of course, so for what its worth: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/3494296/Michael-Jackson-converts-to-Islam-and-changes-name-to-Mikaeel.html

lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: Jul 01, 2009 06:32 AM »

if he did convert, it seems like more of nation of islam type stuff...

i can't believe the incredible outpouring of michael jackson support.  a month ago all of these people were making nasty, snide and really horrible jokes about him.

i've never been into music at all, and by default always followed the overly rigid music is haram line, but even a loser like me appreciated how unique he was.

sad...
anisa
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
anisa has no influence :(

« Reply #18 on: Jul 01, 2009 02:31 PM »

Sheikh Salih Al-Munajjid on Michael Jackson’s Death

The original Arabic can be found here: http://www.fileflyer.com/view/781tKAl

Question: Asalamu alaykum. I feel sad about what some Muslims are saying […] after the death of the singer Michael Jackson. Some people are praying forAllah’s mercy on him…

Answer: Wa alaykum as-Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu. Ok.. Look, this is one of the ways Allah tests His slaves. The death of Michael Jackson is a test for people. A trial. “Indeed we tried Sulaiman…”

Are we greater than him so that we will not be tested? If Allah tried the Prophets, will he not test normal people? So.. what is the test? This is it.. “So that He can see what they will do.” What will they say?

This person.. it is said that he accepted Islam… and that his brother accepted Islam… and that he invited him to Islam… and so he accepted.. and that he was going to live in Bahrain… and that he went there to live, blah blah blah…

But has this been confirmed? Yes there were rumors. Strong rumors? Yes. Have there been various sources for this? Yes, in this matter, this did occur. But has this been confirmed? Allah knows best. Did the man really accept Islam? Allah knows best. Did he remain a Muslim after he accepted Islam? Allah knows best. His brother who accepted Islam, did he accept Sunni Islam, or did he accept Ahbash, Qadiani or […]? Allah knows best.

The matter is that those who have… I mean there are some people, if one were to come to them and say, “By Allah he accepted Islam!” Have you heard him recite the Shahadah? You yourself.. have you heard him recite the Shahadah? Have you heard from anyone who heard him? Is there anyone you trust that heard him recite the Shahadah? “No.” Allah knows best! We cannot delve into this topic. Maybe… But what is apparent? What is apparent? That the person died in a state of blatant sin. At the very least, he died as a sinner. Because by consensus, or by various reports, he sold about 100,000 tickets worth 80 million dollars for his concert in London.. So he was still sinning. They said that he wanted try to make a comeback after his setback in singing.. and now.. Allah knows best. But the general ruling is that he was a blatant sinner. The person continued this blatant sin. It has not been confirmed to me personally that he repented from music, or that he stopped, or that he rectified his affairs. Allah says… “Those who repent, rectify, and clarify...” Has it been confirmed that he repented? No. This has not been confirmed to me. Rather, the apparent fact is that he continued in his state of blatant sin. Ok. Is he a sinning Muslim? Meaning that he accepted Islam and continued to sing… because.. money! Money! Money! So.. Allah knows best.

So the least we can say that what was apparent was that he was a sinner. What is apparent and clear that he continued to sell tickets for the sin of music.

But what is the general principle? The general principle is that he is an infidel. It is his disbelief that is apparent.  If it is confirmed that a person accepts Islam, he can pray for his forgiveness and mercy. But for those who it is not confirmed, we do not wash him, shroud him, nor do we pray the funeral prayer for him. We do not pray for his forgiveness or mercy.

Some people say that he changed the way Allah created him. Ok, maybe.. something which happens before.. ok for example, someone goes and changes his color to white, do we say to him if he repents, “Go turn it black again”? This will require operations, problems, etc. Its over. If he repents he repents. Finished. We are finished. We don’t say, “Change your color back to what it was,” or do this and that. Its over.

So the death of Michael Jackson is a trial for people. There are some people who even passed out! The problem with these infidels is that once a person dies, they start to bring out his songs, which increase the dead in their torture in their graves. They do not have any mercy! Actually they think that this is being loyal to him - to spread his heritage, ideology, accomplishments, blah blah blah.

So what is our stance? All praise and thanks be to Allah, a singer has died. This is a blessing. A person who was a trial for people, one they call, the “King of Pop”. The King of Pop! Alhamdulillah… This King of Pop died, for us this is good news. Even if he accepted Islam and died in a state of blatant sin. A sinner such as this  has died. Alhamdulillah. The King of Pop died. Good! One of the leaders of music in the world left. He perished. The leader of music perished… maybe he was the most famous… I don’t know if there was anyone more famous than him. He may be the most famous.  He perished! A lesson to those who say, “O people, this person died, he was only 50.” He perished! Did his wealth help him? No. Did his music help him? No. Did his fame help him? No. Where is he now? In a lab, getting an autopsy! Getting an autopsy! So that they can find out the reason for his death. Did he die from drugs or something else, blah blah blah… Allah knows best. He had a heart attack…blah blah blah. Its over.

Anyways, do we say he is in Hellfire? No. Do we say he is in Paradise? No. Its over. His death is  lesson. The least one can say is “O Allah give us a good end. Alhamdulillah. We ask Allah to take us in a state of Iman. We ask Allah to take us in a state of obedience. See how this one met his end? See in what state he died? You know his death is a lesson.”

As for feeling sympathy… you know soon there will be many articles written. I am sure that the secularists in the newspapers [in Saudi]… there will be tons of things written about Michael Jackson.   Some people will defend him, others who sympathize… So soon, those who liked Michael Jackson will say, “You know maybe he accepted Islam, why are you happy he died.” Soon will see people sympathize. Those who follow their desires will start to sympathize with him. Of course they will give examples. For example, they will bring some people who have suffered a breakdown, people in streets who fell, some who passed out.. blah blah blah. A leader from the leaders of evil has perished for us is news which brings us joy. That’s it. As for his end, he has  a Lord who will judge him, we have not say in this. We do not delve into this. We do not delve into this. 

www.islamqa.com
www.islaam.com
www.islaam.net
www.islamway.com
www.kalamullah.com
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #19 on: Jul 01, 2009 05:56 PM »

Wow. I really have to wonder if sh. munajjid goes around saying "infidel" and "blah blah blah".  Talk about a bad translation. Anyway with all due respect we've heard from many scholars and da'ee about this issue. The above fatwah assumes all music is a sin. And seems to refuse to speculate on whether he is Muslim or not but goes ahead and judges him on things that haven't happened and as if he was even! and calls him a 'blatant sinner' 'sinning only for money money money' and then at the end says we can't delve into judging him! I don't know if scholars should encourage that line of thinking Allahu alam.

I do believe anyone's death is a trial and test for the rest of us, but to not have sympathy for anyone doesn't follow along Islamic principles and to rejoice over someone's death is not right either unless they were a blatant opressor or something. Maybe they don't get much news over there or can't figure out what's verified or not, but it is verified that Jermaine Jackson is a sunni Muslim and converted 20 years ago. And even if they don't bury him MJ in the Muslim way we can't deny that while he was in Bahrain or somewhere else he *might* have said Shahadah one time or another when he was trying to find some peace in his life, but ended up not following through. As Muslims we *should* be sad when anyone dies not in a state of perfect Islam. Our hope should be that if this person lived longer they could have become Muslim, or a good Muslim, just like that hope should be for ourselves.

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #20 on: Jul 01, 2009 06:11 PM »

Well said Sis Jannah.

desibro
BABA

Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2009 06:51 AM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah, and peace be upon the Prophet Muhammad.

1.)  Sh. Munajjid is one of the well known and respected scholars of Islam.  He hosts multiple programs on Shariah on various network channels, and is known throughout the world as a da'ee and caller to Islam, and he has spent most of his life immersed in Islamic knowledge, over 60 years learning and teaching Islam.

2.)  This translation is bad and inaccurate and obviously intended to make the Shaykh look bad and turn Muslims away from the guidance and light of the Shaykh.

3.)  Many Muslims in the Middle East and elsewhere are infatuated by Western pop-culture:  singers, music, dance, movies, clothes, drinking, smoking, drugs, sex, and culture, although much of this culture is in contradiction to the beauty and guidance of Islam.

4.)  It is imperative that the Muslims look to the pious predecessors for role-models and 'stars'.  The icons of this age will all face death, and they will perish.  In this is a lesson for Muslims.   No matter how great a person is, king, actor, or average man.

5.)  Students of knowledge should have respect for the scholars, in fact, we must all follow the scholars, who teach Islam based on its sources, and not follow opinions and philosophies.

Finally, the four Madhabs are all in agreement that musical instruments are haram.  Those who came later who permitted some forms of singing all set forth a number of conditions for its permissibility, none of which are might by Mr. Jackson's works.

For example, they said:

. The subject matter of songs should not be against the teachings of Islam. For example, if the song is in praise of wine, and it invites people to drink, singing or listening to it is haram.

2. Although the subject matter itself may not be against the Islamic teachings, the manner of singing may render it haram; this would be the case, for example, if the singing were accompanied by suggestive sexual movement.

3. Islam fights against excess and extravagance in anything, even in worship; how, then, can it tolerate excessive involvement with entertainment? Too much time should not be wasted in such activities; after all, what is time but life itself? One cannot dispute the fact that spending time in permissible activities consumes time which ought to be resaved for carrying out religious obligations and doing good deeds. It is aptly said, "There is no excess except at the expense of a neglected duty."

4. Each individual is the best judge of himself. If a certain type of singing arouses one's passions, leads him towards sin, excites the animal instincts, and dulls spirituality, he must avoid it, thus closing the door to temptations.

5. There is unanimous agreement that if singing is done in conjunction with haram activities—for example, at a drinking party, or if it is mixed with obscenity and sin—it is haram. The Prophet (peace be on him) warned of a severe punishment for people who sing or listen to singing in such a situation when he said, Some people of my ummah will drink wine, calling it by another name, while they listen to singers accompanied by musical instruments. Allah will cause the earth to swallow them and will turn some of them into monkeys and swine. (Reported by Ibn Majah.) This does not mean that they will be physically transformed into the bodies and outward form of monkeys and swine but rather in heart and soul, carrying the heart of a monkey and the soul of a pig in their human bodies.

Finally, the scholars say:  Certainty is not nullified by doubt.  It is known and established that Mr. Jackson was not Muslim in the past, and any subsequent rumors have been denied or remain ambiguous at best.  Thus, we stick with the original ruling.

In Islam, we judge by the outward, and thus we cannot say:  Maybe he was Muslim on the inside, so we should pray for him.  Rather, the scholars say:  We judge by the outward, and we cannot pray for a person who was outwardly a non-Muslim.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Tabriz
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
Tabriz has no influence :(

« Reply #22 on: Jul 03, 2009 07:03 AM »

Assalamu alykum,

Whether Michael accepted Islam or not, you  have to realize he meant a lot to the black community in America. He broke racial barriers that made possible for many people to accept blacks, not just on the entertainment level, but on many other levels as well.

That is no small accomplishment.

His life was sad in many respects, his childhood was riddled with physical and emotional abuse from his father, Joe Jackson. I hope he is able to find peace now. He was a very nice person. He gave billiions away in charity. Very few people, much less Muslims, can match that.

There are Muslim singers, who, when they pass away, other Muslims say prayers for them. Not much is made of their sexual lyrics or their haram lifestyles, or their overtly sexual moves in dancing. No one really gives out fatwas on how to pray, or if to pray, or if to even just feel sad over their deaths.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2010 11:07 PM »

Some interesting last thoughts from his brother Jermaine:

MUSLIM WORLD: King of Pop was about to convert to Islam

latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2010/01/muslim-world-king-of-pop-was-on-verge-of-converting-to-islam-michael-jacksons-brother-tells-arab-new.html

Michael’s Jackson’s brother Jermaine Jackson reached out to the Muslim world in a long, controversial interview with the Dubai-based pan-Arab news channel Al-Arabiya aired Thursday night.

See below the jump for the videos of the interview, Jermaine Jackson’s first ever with an Arab news network.

During his nearly hourlong talk, he spoke out about his brother’s death, the conspiracies he believed were behind the singer’s downfall – and how he believes the King of Pop was on the verge of converting to Islam.

After spending time in the Gulf (Michael Jackson lived in Bahrain for a while in 2005), “Michael hired a team that was all Muslim,” Jackson told Al- Arabiya, dressed in a red Arab Keffeyeh scarf. “His behavior at the time also showed that he was very close to converting.”

Jackson went on to recount to Arab households how the King of Pop was drawn by Islam, saying his brother loved hearing the Muslim call to prayer and eagerly read books on Islam.  Jackson said Islam  would have protected his brother from harm.

“I felt that Michael was looking for that divine feeling …. I brought him books from Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, from a lot of mosques. He read all of them. He was studying … he was ready to make that journey. His protection would have been Islam … he had a very tough life,” he said.

When asked by his interviewer whether Michael Jackson ever suggested that he would convert, Jackson implied his brother may have been a Muslim in his heart.

“I wished he would have made that announcement. Maybe he made it in his soul … but at the same time we want to hear it,”  he said.

He added that the amount of time Michael spent in the Middle East and the number of friends he had there also indicated he had embraced Islam.

Jermaine Jackson, a composer and former member of the Jackson 5, himself developed an interest in Islam during a trip to the Persian Gulf in the late 1980s and later became a Muslim.  When asked to share his travels with the viewers, he said he  “never felt a connection” until he became a Muslim and how he believes his ancestors were Muslims and that Christianity was imposed on them through slavery.

At one point, he explains his emotional and spiritual journey in his pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia.

“We drove from Bahrain to Riyadh (the capital of Saudi Arabia) and then took a flight to Mecca.  It was the most wonderful feeling. It felt so pure, so special. I knew that was the connection,” said Jackson.

He only wishes his brother had followed his example and become a Muslim too. Islam, says Jackson, would have saved the King of Pop from many hardships.

“I believe that Islam would have helped him a lot. Had he converted, he would have been spared all the problems he had been subjected to throughout his life,” he said.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: