// I dont want to sell t-shirts
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.  - Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I dont want to sell t-shirts  (Read 3477 times)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« on: Nov 27, 2008 04:29 PM »

Assalam Alaikum friends,

So i'm wanting to use my website, that i previously launched as an ads service, for selling something online. The website has started attracting good traffic which was my first target, now iI'm planning to target a niche store for Pakistan only, it could be bakras but that wont run throughout the year.

I'm having serious thoughts about selling stuff people shy away from buying off regular stores on my side of the pond, like the sensual apparels married couples might want to buy for bedroom stuff.

Any suggestions?

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2008 06:33 PM »

wsalam,

could be a good idea... i'd do some research into like companies and then do some marketing to see if you have a target audience. do credit cards work over there? and mailing stuff to people's houses? i wonder...

good luck
ws
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2010 03:37 AM »

Salaams,

Yeah, credit cards and couriers work. There are like 10 different courier services here.

Just revamped my site, would appreciate some feedback from you guys Kiss

Wifey is helping me this stuff...

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
lucid
Bro

lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2010 08:37 PM »

I'm having serious thoughts about selling stuff people shy away from buying off regular stores on my side of the pond, like the sensual apparels married couples might want to buy for bedroom stuff.

that is just hilarious. why would you want to sell that?  why don't you see stuff which is particular to pakistan?  like stuff that is totally unique.  i doubt anybody would be interested in the deshi version of victoria's secret

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2010 09:09 PM »

Salaams,

Yeah, credit cards and couriers work. There are like 10 different courier services here.

Just revamped my site, would appreciate some feedback from you guys Kiss

Wifey is helping me this stuff...

Maybe provide a entire wedding / marriage package - including Islamic books on the rights of husbands and wives in addition to ... umm... your product line... and candles... and include an out of box solution to carry the first few days... maybe even sell other packages suchs as a 1 year anniversary package 5 years... whatever...

So maybe it could be purchased like a gift registry style ... hey if home depot has a wedding gift registry, so can you!

Also, offer gifts so that Expats / NRs who can't attend the weddings of their family member can send a gift through your web site from over seas

Partner with a sweet company that can deliver sweets and you deliver the ummm... product line...together (okay maybe not)...

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2010 11:15 PM »

What is the deshi version of victoria's secret? like shalwar kameez with see thru sleeves? ok maybe i shouldn't go there!!

Ubab's ideas are nice... you should tap into the Pak wedding market... those ppl have bazillions of dollars to spend.. just check out how much they spend on designer wedding dresses!!

k ws
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2010 06:23 AM »

EDIT: Link to my site: http://dealer.com.pk/

Salaams,

Yea definitely, we are planning on expanding the products and services. I recently added the gifts section which was a major revamp.

As for your Q, lucid. Running an online business is a tricky area especially in third world countries. A continued challenge is to offer a productline that's either not easily available in stores, or is costly at regular stores, OR many people want those products but feel embarrassed to order face to face (which is the case with the type of products we've added so far, considering pakistani culture and all).

The two orders i've got so far, both the guys asked me not to put the product name on the box. One buyer asked me to use a fake name instead of his real name, and asked me to send it to his office address. Keeping further details aside, the way they ordered products is the case in point.

Oh and i'm doing sms marketing for my site too. Had to write a small desktop automation script to make the software that came with my X820, send unlimited text messages. I've hired a part timer to add cell numbers to a DB from various news papers. This bit sounds unethical but i have my arguments for it shadyguy

Thanks for the suggestion though, really appreciate them Smiley

lucid
Bro

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2010 05:17 PM »

assalamualaikum

H2H

some advice:  i went to your linked website and here were my thoughts:

1) the dealer.com.pk site linked to a page which seemed very boring and low-tech.  i would never order from there because it seems too unprofessional and i would be a bit paranoid about giving my cc# to such a site.  

2) i clicked on the "my products" link and something boring seemed to come up. but, i looked on the side of the page, and holy cow!  pictures of women's underwear on headless mannequins were there.  i immediately crapped myself and killed the page.

so some advice:  if you want to sell stuff like that, don't put it in people's faces so easily.  give them pictures or whatever, but make sure they really want to see what it is by requiring them to click through several pages.  otherwise people will think it is a very dodgy site run by a bunch of wierdos looking to take advantage of them.

another thing, make the site is a lot more visually attractive.  people trust attractive sites because they know dodgy people usually don't have the resources and time to put up wickedly cool looking sites.

my mother has been bugging me for ages to make a website for her non-profit handicrafts store (the money goes to the destitute women who make the handicrafts).  being mentally retarded at web design (and virtually everything else) i haven't.  so maybe you could point me in the right direction on how to make a site where you can buy stuff with paypal, etc..  i would be grateful for that.

anyhow....

assalamualaikum
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2010 05:54 PM »

Salaams,

Dude, the site is advertised by telling people whats it for, so naturally they would be prepared for what they'll encounter, perhaps?

And i've intentionally made the Services area the default landing page, so that the sharmeelay bachay/kids dont crap themselves.

In fact, you should have been prepared about the shop section, taking into account your lovely remarks above Wink

And I personally like sleek and simple websites, I can easily dump more modules/widgets into it, but that doesn't look nice IMO. To each their own... And BTW, I thought the shop section was pretty colorful  Grin

But i'll give it more thought, i can't just ask for suggestions and not consider them when I get them! Oh and another thing, we first deliver the products to people's home and collect money there and then, not sure if that would be considered dodgy (We dont ask for CC#).

As for your mums project, I can easily help you with that. All you need is to get a domain name and hosting server, both of which cost like 50$ a year. I can make a basic shopping website for you with templates and all. Rest of the configuration you'll have to learn and apply yourself, 'cause look'n'feel is a tricky area and takes alot of time to finalize.

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2010 09:44 PM »

Ummm...

Suggestion: "These products would be delivered to your doorstep, where these can be tried in the comforts of your home, and then charges will be collected there and then" .... Maybe you should put up size charts online - and help on how people should measure themselves, to minimize return/exchange scenarios ... and please don't let people return or exchange certain somethings - that's just... gross...

Kinda NOT understanding how your payment situation is working - a salesperson will show up at the client's doorstep - wait while they try it on and then receive payment???  Sounds very un-anonymous, kinda defeating the merits of online shopping.

For the stuff on the main page ... maybe you can sell packages - like flower and chocolates together...

Hope that was constructive...

Also, I appreciate simple designs as well - but why does it have a message board feel to it?
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2010 11:01 PM »

salam

I just had a cursory glance at the website, but seriously you exchange or refund everything???

As Sr JO says that's really rather unhygienic.

I used to work as a sales girl in womens clothing stores many years ag,o and we never ever exchanged or refunded underwear bottoms, and all bathing suits had a hygiene strip which was not to be removed unless the item was bought and then if removed the item was non returnable, we also had warnings on labels stating that people should try on certain items over there underwear....I mean otherwise it really is just ewwww.

Size charts are a good idea, have a look on websites that sell similar items in the west to get an idea.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2010 10:20 AM »

Salams, no no there are no exchanges or refunds after using those products. But yeah i can imagine how just  trying something before buying it can be unhygenic, i didnt think of that earlier.

And waitng outside to let the buyer try them is one happy path that hasnt been traversed by anyone as of yet. we'll add guidlines for that though. And im skeptical that many would go this route once we put up size charts and measuring guidelines. Great suggestions!

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2010 08:57 PM »

salaam

haha Jannah your funny.

I think its a good idea! But right now in pakistan its not embarassing like it used to be. I hear there have been many shops that have opened up with lady employers.
The only thing with this is if they are ashamed, you wonder if they are getting it for people that are not their wives. I hear lots of shady business going in pak these days like that
lucid
Bro

« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2010 04:06 PM »

As for your mums project, I can easily help you with that. All you need is to get a domain name and hosting server, both of which cost like 50$ a year. I can make a basic shopping website for you with templates and all. Rest of the configuration you'll have to learn and apply yourself, 'cause look'n'feel is a tricky area and takes alot of time to finalize.

jazaks for your offer.  when i'm ready and get through my dreamweaver tutorials and stuff, i'll ask you for help.

assalamualaikum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: