// Top 10 places to see before you die - Mozlim style

Peace be upon you,

Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the City Constitution. Read them carefully before moving in.

P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish.
    P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 10 places to see before you die - Mozlim style  (Read 7877 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 313
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Nov 30, 2008 08:58 AM »

So I read this article: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-23247426 which is atrocious. I mean seriously who would want to see those things!!

Here is my top 10:

(of what i have seen and would recommend and what i'd like to see)

Seen (highly recommend u see!)

10. A Souk in Aleppo

9. Adirondack mountains/ Mediterranean Sea

8. 96th Street Mosque, Manhatten

7. Palmyra

6. Salahuddin's Castle

5. The Pyramids

4. The Taj Mahal

3. Great Mosque of Damascus

2. The Prophet's mosque

and.........................

1. The Kabah

Unseen: (inshallah one day...)

10. London's Regent Park Mosque

9. Petra

8. Tangier's Old City

7. Dubai's Man-made Islands

6. South African Safari

5. Zanzibar/Samrkand

4. Malaysian Rainforest

3. The Blue Mosque

2. Andalusian Valley from the Alhambra

and...........

...........probably never possible Sad

1. Inside the Kabah and to see the Prophet(s) Grave

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2008 11:13 AM »

okay so yes it's an atrocious list, but i would looooove to see the rothko chapel.... i am a big mark rothko fan - i think he was psychotic, but in a non-threatening way.  it might not make my top 10, but maybe my top 25. 
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2008 11:41 AM »

i want to hear your top 10 justone!!

ws
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2008 06:36 AM »

C'monnnn I need to hear more places....... too much snow here... at least I can dream about these places!!

snow
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 56
Shahida is on the verge of being a madinan :)Shahida is on the verge of being a madinan :)Shahida is on the verge of being a madinan :)Shahida is on the verge of being a madinan :)Shahida is on the verge of being a madinan :)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2009 06:20 AM »

Salam alaikum

I am in a holiday-planning mood!  (when am I not, it is one of my favourite things to do! lol)

But I just wanted to let you guys know about my African Safari!!!  You HAVE to come to Africa and go on Safari, it is a once in a lifetime-type experience.

I would recommend South Africa (duh! Wink ) but last December I went to Zambia/Botswana/Zimbabwe/Namibia, and mashaAllah, it was soooooooo wonderful.  We got to ride on Elephants and walk with lions...

i will post a pic inshaAllah.

So definitely add safari up on your list!!! 

Off to plan the next trip
Salam
bon voyage,
S.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2011 03:26 PM »

I recommend also the Old City of Damascus. Such a beautiful historical place. I wish I could go there again, but the restrictions now and issues are much worse than the worse they were before. I haven't heard of any foreign students going there any more Sad Sad

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/travel/05hours.html
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 127
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2011 08:04 PM »

salam

Dubai's artificial islands are errr sinking last I heard, so you better go and see them quick, whilst there's anything to see!!!

I actually want to go to Timbuktu, mostly so when asked I can reply in all honesty I went to Timbuktu.

I want to Visit

• Petra
  • Russia (for the architecture)
  • Australia, and go diving off the barrier reef
  • I actually do ocassionally want to see New York (but mostly the mere thought of American customs scares me)
  • Botswana, I would love to go there..OK its a lot to do with the lady detective books but there we go!
  • Guess I ought to do a bit of Europe too, what with living in it and all sooo ummm Italy, apparantly you can visit Vesuvius the volcano), I want to see pompeii. It's also Allah's sign isn't it, of what He can do, a lesson to learn...
  • Jerusalem, the dome of the rock (altho my old boss said of all the places he's ever been israeli's were horrendous, and he's been around, and he's not religious and is white....so not holiding out much hope on nice treatment there either...but should the oppurtunity arise I will visit inshallah).

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 23
Hard2Hit barely matters :(Hard2Hit barely matters :(

Taubah

« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2011 11:12 PM »

A.A.

Anybody ever had this wild thought of lying in an empty grave before you die? I do think about doing it at times.

I stood in a couple of empty graves though, before the dead body was rested in them. Its spiritually uplifting!

Places, there are too many to list...

Hi Smiley
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 54
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2011 11:58 PM »

Cool thread!

Aw (wo)man!, Sis J - once again, you're making me jealous!!! I've only been to one place on your "Seen" list - Taj Mahal.

I can claim one "victory" as I've been to Regent's Park Mosque - it's a really nice walk through the Park leading up to the masjid with the wild life in the pond/lake that is located within the park.
My top 10 "Want to see"

1. Kaabah
2. Prophet's Mosque
3. Jerusalem
4. Blue Mosque/Hagia Sophia
5.Alhambra - Was supposed to go with my mom some years back, but due to pre-medical education issue that came up, we had to cancel :'-(.
6. Pyramids/Egypt
7. Kashmir
8. Isfahan
9. Paris
10.  Greece

I'll def hit up Hyderabad bhaya - I've got my bro/cousin-in law from there as YOU know, hehe, so I have an insdie chance I think!

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 44
Halima might someday be someone..:)Halima might someday be someone..:)Halima might someday be someone..:)Halima might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2011 01:55 AM »

Seen: (for the USA and Canada, not including cities traveled through by road)

1. New York City, Buffalo, Amherst (NY),
2. Detroit, Dear Born, Lansing/East Lansing, Ann Arbor (MI)
3. Chicago (IL)
4. Minneapolis, St. Paul, Eden Prairie, Rochester, Shakopee (MN)
5. Windsor, Toronto, St. Catherine, Niagara Falls (Canada)
6. London (UK)
7. Amsterdam, The Hague, Alkmaar (Netherlands)
8. Milan, Turin (Italy)
9. Djibouti (Djibouti) transiting through Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
10. Lusaka, Livingston (Zambia)
11. Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe)
12. Johannesburg, Pretoria (South Africa)
13. Kinshasa (DRC -  Democratic Republic of Congo)
14. Kampala (Uganda)
15. Mogadishu, Marka, Brava, Jilib, Jamame, Kismayo, Balad, Jowhar, Baidoa, Luuq, Beled Hawa (Somalia - before the
      civil war - was such  a beautiful country).

Would love to see, Insha-Allah:

1. Makkah (the Grand Masjid)
2. Madina (the Prophet's Masjid, SAW)
3. Benghazi (Libya)
4. Alexandria, Cairo (Egypt)
5. Rabat, Tangier (Morocco)
6. San Fransisco, Los Angeles, Miami and Hawaii (USA)
7. Manchester, Liverpool (UK)
9. Dubai, Abu Dhabi (UAE)
10. Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
11. Jakarta (Indonesia)
12. Wellington (New Zealand)
13. Sydney, Melbourne and Perth (Australia)
14. New Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Ahmedab and Goa (India)
15. Karachi and Lahore (Pakistan)
16. Cape Town and Durban (South Africa)
17. Bamako (Mali)
18. Lagos (Nigeria)
19. Banjul (Gambia)
20. Paris (France)

If wishes were horses... beggars would ride them..... sigh!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2011 08:50 AM »

ws,

wow great lists you guys!! fozia i have to agree about botswana just to see the no.1 ladies detective agency Wink wcoastbaba isfahan sooo interesting! that would definitely be a gorgeous place to visit... akhan andaman islands i heard are reallly nice and so close to u so goo! halima your list is so diverse! looks like u've been all over africa too!

i miss traveling sooooo much!! but post 9/11 i don't think i can take all the stares/hassle/questioning/harassment against muslims.  but maybe it's worth it just to see some of these amazing places!!

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 110
akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)

« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2011 09:22 AM »

I like beach places sis Jannah, I mean not the bikini ones but those with coral reefs and stuff, the scuba diving is what attracts me the most Smiley
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 44
Halima might someday be someone..:)Halima might someday be someone..:)Halima might someday be someone..:)Halima might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2011 07:28 AM »

Minor correction - NYC (which is in NY State); Tangier which is in Morocco and Benghazi in Libya.

And I haven't added Kenya because it my home country which is beautiful and breathtaking by itself - Nairobi, Mombasa, Malindi, Kilifi, Kisumu, Kericho, Nakuru, Naivasha, Eldoret, Kitale - not forgetting to mention the amazing Great Rift Valley, Mount Kenya and the wonderful Game Reserves like the Masai Mara - among many. Lake Victoria, Lake Nakuru with its colorful flamingoes, Lake Naivasha, Thompson Falls, etc., etc., etc.

halima your list is so diverse! looks like u've been all over africa too!

I still haven't been to west and north africa - yet. I hope, I will, INSHA-ALLAH.

i miss traveling sooooo much!! but post 9/11 i don't think i can take all the stares/hassle/questioning/harassment against muslims.  but maybe it's worth it just to see some of these amazing places!!

Yeah, it will be worth it.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 28
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2011 07:36 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

How about trekking in Nepal?

I can imagine being around the Himalayas would be awe inspiring!!!

Personally, I love the scenery around Switzerland and the Alps and fully understand why George Clooney has a place on Lake Como bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2011 07:48 AM »

I can't remember if I went to Oman or Bahrain when I was younger but I remember it being sooo beautiful and so clean, very different from everywhere else. I think it might have been Oman..

I would definately recommend Kabah, amazing

I want to go to Egypt and I want to go to a rainforest inshAllah
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 110
akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)akhan is leading the good life alhamdulllah! :)

« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2011 05:02 PM »

I am back!!!
Sadly enough, we had to skip Agra for various reasons, but the rest of the tour was AWESOME!!!
Pics will be up in a few days InshAllah Smiley
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 54
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2011 07:39 PM »

@akhan *coughshowoffcough*

Wink

I just wanted to add my "seen" places, though they are not so impressive

1. Hawaii (twice, most time was spent on the island of Kaua'i)
2. Prague (for those who don't know, been studying here for the last 5, nearly 6 years) and also the town of Brno,
3. Karachi, Pakistan (family)
where the father of genetics, did his famous research with peas and flowers (Mendel)
4.India:  Bangalore/Delhi/Mumbai/Agra (my abba's family is in Bangalore, or as it is now known, Bengaluru;Agra = Taj Mahal)
4. Chicago (once with people from my high school, along with 2 teachers and had a very memorable time, including doing a teasure hunt type thing, were we had to use clues to find different locations around the city)
5. Orlando (of course, including Disney World)
6. Washington DC (was about to enter the White House, when Pr. Clinton got into the helicopter and we waved at him once he was airborne, so that was kinda of cool)
7. NYC (I was also born in a NY town, called White Plains)
8. Seattle (only a 3 hour drive from home)
9. San Francisco/Los Angeles/San Diego/Santa Barbara (SB is a small beautiful town on the coast - went to a lovely resort where Britney Spears almost got married at, lol; a cousin-sister of mine did her graduate studies there, so made several trips there)
10. London (many trips, as I have extended family there)
11. Canada: Vancouver, Toronto

I think that's all.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 56
Shahida is on the verge of being a madinan :)Shahida is on the verge of being a madinan :)Shahida is on the verge of being a madinan :)Shahida is on the verge of being a madinan :)Shahida is on the verge of being a madinan :)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2011 11:18 AM »

Salam alaikum

I just got back from Cape Town, South Africa.  Seriously guys, the city is a MUST SEE for anyone, Muslim or not.

The southern-most tip of Africa is picturesquely-perfectly-awesomely-beautiful-beyond-expectation mashaAllah.  plus, you get to see where the first Muslims arrived to South Africa! and see one of the ayaat from the Quraan:  The 2 oceans meet there (see Surah Ar-Rahmaan)...

Twas awesome, alhamdulillah.  Had I not been stuck in conference talks the entire day, I'd have been out every single day sightseeing!

So save your money and make a trip to Cape Town (and dont forget to visit me on your way there!)
Salam
S.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: