Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land. - Jon Stewart
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crying during salat  (Read 2025 times)
Anonymous
« on: Dec 06, 2008 09:43 PM »

assalamualaikum

lately i have had trouble controlling my emotions during salat. especially during the first two raka.

my voice is very shakey, i am overcome by tears (sometimes joyful sometimes sorrowful), my chin does that uncontrollable wiggly-thing. masha'allah, i am not sure if i'm cracking up or this just happens sometimes.

please advise.

has this condition ever been described in sunnah?

Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2008 03:55 AM »

many sahaba, particularly abu bakr used to cry during prayer.

it's like the seal of approval with respect to sincerity.

but i want to ask one extremely idiotic question.  nowadays when i hear imams or people crying while leading the prayer, it usually seems contrived and faked, particularly when it becomes uncontrolled blathering.

please advise me whether i beat myself on the head for my excessive cynicism.

-mr potatohead
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2008 04:03 AM »

mr potatohead yes ur faaar too cynical! u need to eat some optimism pop tarts.  some reciters u can just hear their sincerity and emotionalness, when certain verses are read. my favorite is abu bakr ash-shaatri who always gets emotional while reading verses about how ppl will be thrown into the hellfire and their punishment.

crying during salah should be normal and good. if you can't cry, make yourself cry - that is what i heard a good scholar say once.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: