// The Sacrificial Animal: Cruelty or Mercy?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sacrificial Animal: Cruelty or Mercy?  (Read 2335 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Dec 08, 2008 04:16 AM »

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1157365872995&pagename=Zone-English-HealthScience%2FHSELayout
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2008 09:47 AM »

assalamualaikum

the blood on the streets and competition to buy a more expensive cow than your neighbor's is really gross in the muslim world.   its almost enough to turn you into a vegetarian.

muslims just pervert what is supposed to be a very special day.  its slaughter, slaughter, slaughter, in the morning.  near noon its blood, blood, blood. in the afternoon, its eat meat, drink meat, eat more meat, breathe meat, drink meat, and eat some more.

i don't think this is what the prophet and the sahaba had in mind when celebrating eid. 

the streets will be red tomorrow and i think i am going to try to sleep as late as possible.  i can't handle the blood and smell.

but then again i am an idiot...
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2008 12:59 PM »

I really don't understand those people who think Islamically slaughtering animals is cruel.  You're supposed to be kind to the animal beforehand and not even let it see the knife.  Cut the jugular vein and the animal goes quickly unconscious.  I've read some descriptions of what goes on in slaughterhouses.  Now THAT'S cruel.   Shocked  If I were an animal, I'd rather be killed Islamically...

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2008 08:56 PM »

salaam

there was interesting site I posted about vegetarian Muslims Lucid. You should check it out. It had info on the slaughter also.

The one thing I really like and noticed is that people really do treat the animals very well before they slaughter them.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2008 10:43 AM »

wsalam,

i know a lot of muslim cities turn bloody overnight with blood running in every corner and courtyard haha which is kind of gross. maybe they should have designated areas for it just to keep everything hygienic. i think it's kind of beautiful that muslims are still close to nature. they don't just go to the supermarket and buy meat wrapped in cellophane. we know we are allowed to eat animals and that the animals themselves do not suffer during the zabiha and the whole idea is to commemorate the sacrifice of Ibrahim, Ismail and Hajer with our own sacrifice.

for most muslims even until now it is extremely rare to be able to eat meat. everyone is so happy and it's such a tradition to do the sacrifice and cook fresh meat and eat it. the kids run around all day excited and the boys get to be real "men" and go with their fathers to do it and bring back the meat. it's divided up and the kids run to different neighbors houses to distribute the meat. the poor actually get to have a good meal for once along with the rich. the women end up cooking and the whole family partakes in a very expensive meal. a real festival. i think living in the west we really completely miss out on this whole aspect of eid-al-adha due to to modern life.

so yeah blood everywhere, meat everywhere, but i think you can appreciate it if you look at it in context! Smiley
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2008 11:46 AM »

wsalam,

i know a lot of muslim cities turn bloody overnight with blood running in every corner and courtyard haha which is kind of gross. maybe they should have designated areas for it just to keep everything hygienic.

i think the problem is that everyone buys a huge animal to show off and slaughters it in the street.  if it were just a bunch of small sheep, it would still be different.

i think it's kind of beautiful that muslims are still close to nature. they don't just go to the supermarket and buy meat wrapped in cellophane. we know we are allowed to eat animals and that the animals themselves do not suffer during the zabiha

beautiful?

and the whole idea is to commemorate the sacrifice of Ibrahim, Ismail and Hajer with our own sacrifice.

i don't think eid had anything to do with ibrahim, ismail, etc..  it's even more christmasy than christmas -- all show and no substance (at least here).
for most muslims even until now it is extremely rare to be able to eat meat. everyone is so happy and it's such a tradition to do the sacrifice and cook fresh meat and eat it.

a lot of the beggars actually sell the meat. 

the kids run around all day excited and the boys get to be real "men" and go with their fathers to do it and bring back the meat. it's divided up and the kids run to different neighbors houses to distribute the meat.

real men Smiley ? yur obviously a girl!

the poor actually get to have a good meal for once along with the rich. the women end up cooking and the whole family partakes in a very expensive meal. a real festival.

i think its only a real festival for the middle and upper class.

i think living in the west we really completely miss out on this whole aspect of eid-al-adha due to to modern life.

so yeah blood everywhere, meat everywhere, but i think you can appreciate it if you look at it in context! Smiley

i think we in the muslim world also miss out on it...and by the way did i tell you how much the eid khutba sucks?  a large fraction of it is just about how to physically pray it -- since there are lots of confusing takbirs....

in the west, at least you get the message of eid, and the khutbas are cooler, and there is real comaraderie.  here nobody gives a toss about anybody (in the cities) and you just go home after the khutba.

i mean look at me? it's eid and i'm writing on jannah.org.  how screwed up am i? Smiley
timbuktu
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2008 07:20 AM »

peace be upon you

my two paisas

Many, many people do get to eat meat only on Eid. Some of them are lucky, and get enough meat from different sources to be able to store. In Islamabad, for many years I used to have my animal salughtered by a group and take the meat home for distribution. There were many people, mostly young ones, who would hover and keep asking everyone for meat, even the pyayas and the head, which most people threw away. I noticed a girl, collecting a lot of meat and heads and keeping them with her younger brother while she went around for more. These children asked me for a lift to her block of flats, and I gave them one. They lived in run-down government flats in what is called Karachi Company in Islamabad. I asked the girl why was she collecting so much meat and heads. It would rot in the heat and would be useless. She told me that they will dry these after putting salt, and store for later consumption. Then she confided: We are so poor this is the only meat we get.

So it was a real treat for them.

In Islamabad at least, and also in Rawalpindi, the Municipal Administration made very good arrangements, and there was no smell.

For many years now, I no longer go to buy animals or to get someone here to slaughter them. Instead  give money to a welfare organization for slaughtering animals in Kashmir and other parts where there is a disaster or acute poverty.

It works for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: