// September 11 defendants ask to plead guilty
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Riches without faith are the greatest poverty. - Ali ibn Abi Talib (May Allah be pleased with him)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: September 11 defendants ask to plead guilty  (Read 508 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Dec 08, 2008 08:19 PM »

September 11 defendants ask to plead guilty

Mon Dec 8, 10:00 am ET

An image reviewed by the U.S. military shows journalists heading to the Reuters – An image reviewed by the U.S. military shows journalists heading to the courtroom for a pretrial session …

GUANTANAMO BAY U.S. NAVAL BASE, Cuba (Reuters) – The self-styled mastermind of the September 11 attacks and four co-defendants sent a note to a military judge at Guantanamo on Monday saying they wanted to confess and plead guilty.

The judge said he would question the five, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the suspected planner of the September 11 attacks, to ensure that was their wish.

The judge, Army Col. Steven Henley, read from the note, which began: "We all five have reached an agreement to request from the commission an immediate hearing session in order to announce our confessions ... with our earnest desire in this regard without being under any kind of pressure, threat, intimidations or promise from any party."

The note said all five wished to plead guilty and withdraw any pending motions filed by their military-appointed lawyers, whom they do not trust and have tried to fire.

The surprise move by the five defendants came as the U.S. military resumed pretrial hearings at the Guantanamo naval base, in a remote U.S.-controlled corner of Cuba, for the accused plotters of the September 11 attacks.

The hearings went forward as scheduled, even though the pending change in the U.S. administration made it unlikely defendants' trials would ever be held at the base.

U.S. President-elect Barack Obama. who takes office on January 20, has said he will shut down the widely condemned Guantanamo prison camp and try detainees in the regular U.S. civilian or military courts rather than the special Guantanamo tribunals created by the Bush administration.

(Editing by Tom Brown and Jackie Frank)

[attachment deleted by admin]

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: