Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Your hope in my heart is the rarest treasure / Your Name on my tongue is the sweetest word / My choicest hours / Are the hours I spend with You - Rabi'a al-Adawiyya
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IS IT RIGHT?  (Read 1229 times)
Bobseed
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
Bobseed has no influence :(

« on: Dec 10, 2008 11:13 PM »

Assalamu alaikum.

My cousin came home some few days ago to report his Arabic Teacher snuffing a substance, I summoned up courage to face the teacher on this allegation.

This respected teacher in our neighbourhood did not deny it, he laughed and told me its true and that he would want me to know that what he snifes is a stimullant which actually draw him closer to Allah, he asked me whether I have not read of sufis using hashish and that there is nothing wrong in stimulants, that it is only intoxicants Allah forbids.

Is this right? Huh?
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2008 06:18 AM »

wsalaam,

He's definitely been smoking something to come up with that convoluted excuse  Roll Eyes How ridiculous. A drug is a drug, alcohol is just as much a drug as whatever he's doing. They're all haram. No self-respecting sufi that follows the shari'ah would ever do such a thing! Closer to Allah when you're drugged up and not in your senses?? NO it doesn't work like that...you can't come close to Allah with doing Haram. Please ask your cousin to find a different teacher. People like that self-justify everything they're doing. Better to protect your family.

ws
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 23
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Ahla Haya

« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2008 06:00 PM »

This is a bunch of bull and it's disrespectful to Sufis. That is where the confusion lies, because people do not realize that the law is for our benefit, not for our harm. Therefore, if the law harms you, you no longer have to abide by it, because it's there for your maslaha, not for your destruction and that is our fiqh.

"Whoever does not memorize the Qur'an and write hadith is not fit to be followed in this matter. For our science is controlled by the Book and the Sunnah." [Junayd al-Baghdadi® on following the Sufi path]

"...Surely my prayer and my sacrifice, my life and my death are for Allah, the Lord of the Worlds..." (Qur'an, 6:162)
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2008 12:24 AM »

Walaikum salam wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

Dear brother Bobseed,

It is very nice to hear from you.  I am sorry I didn't get a chance to write back to your post.

As for the drug Ketamine , it appears that the drug causes intoxication, hullicinations, etc, and the Prophet, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, said as reported by Bukhari and Muslim: "Every intoxicant is a type of wine, and every intoxicant is haram."

So the ruling on its use is haram.

As for his attribution of the use of this drug to the Sufis, then we must differentiate between the various paths and practices that have evolved in some of the present day practioners of sufism, and the righteous Zuhd and asceticism of the early generations.

Sh. Ibn Baz mentions that Sufism started out as zuhd and piety and scrupulousness, like that of Hassan al Basri, and Imam Junaid, but after the 3rd century of Islam, many foreign ideas crept in amongst its practioners.

The result is what you have today of the World Order of Sufism founded by Inayat Khan that in fact claims to unite all religions under the banner of Sufism, 'audhu billah.

The balanced and middle way is that those who wish to focus on the spiritual sciences must avoid innovations in the religion and stick to the Sunnah and ways of the pious predecessors.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2008 11:12 PM »

Thanks dear brother for your kind reply, I have discussed further with him based on your reply, he however said that ketamine does not intoxicate, rather it is a stimulant for him based on the doses he snorts, he even contends that ketamine is being used to cure drunkards. He now poses a question as to whether stimulants are haram.

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

Dear brother Bobseed,

Firstly, There is no doubt that drugs such as stimulants befog the mind and take away reason by causing hullucinations.

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said: The general meaning of the words, “Every intoxicant is haraam,” is taken as evidence that whatever causes intoxication is haraam, even if it is not a drink. So that includes hashish and other things. Al-Nawawi and others were certain that it is an intoxicant, and others were certain that it dulls the senses, and it is arrogant to say otherwise, because its visible effects are the same as those of khamr, such as euphoria and addiction.

Even if we assume that it is not an intoxicant, it is proven in Abu Dawood that all intoxicants and relaxants are haraam. And Allaah knows best. End quote from Fath al-Baari, 10/45.

Al-Khattaabi said: Relaxants are those drinks that cause relaxation in the muscles and numbness in the extremities, which is the precursor to intoxication. It is forbidden to drink them lest they be a means that leads to intoxication.

As for claiming that Ketamine is merely a stimulant, like caffeine, than this person is only fooling himself.  He should also realize that the many harmful affects of this drug make it fall into the category of Khabaaith (disgusting things), like cigarettes, which make them haram in and of themselves, as Allah says: "He (the Prophet) permits you the Tayyibaat (pure wholesome things), and forbids for you the Khabaaith".

The scholars say:

They cause harm to the person himself, to his family and children, and to his society and nation.

With regard to the personal harm caused, they cause serious harm to both the body and the mind, because intoxicants and drugs destroy the health, nerves, mind, reasoning, the digestive system, and other negative effects which impact the entire body, and it damages his dignity and honour, as his personality becomes fragile, and he becomes a laughing-stock and suffers from numerous diseases.

With regard to the harm that is caused to the family, this is the mistreatment of his wife and children, so the house is turned into an unbearable hell because of tension, anger, arguments, insults, repeated utterance of divorce (talaaq), breaking of things, neglect of the wife, and not spending properly on the home. Intoxicants and drugs may even lead to the birth of children who are deformed or mentally handicapped.

The harm that is caused to society is evident in the huge destruction of wealth with no positive return, which affects the man’s interests and leads to the failure to fulfil duties and loss of public trusts, whether that has to do with the interests of the state, institutions or individuals. This is in addition to the damage caused by criminal acts against people, property and honour. The harm caused by drugs is worse than that caused by intoxicants, because drugs destroy moral values. End quote from al-Fiqh al-Islami wa Adillatuha by Dr. Wahbah al-Suhayli, 7/5511.

To conclude, no wise person would doubt that drugs are haraam, because of the textual evidence that points to their prohibition, and because of the extensive harm that they cause.

My advice to you dear brother Bobseed, is to advise this person to abandon innovations in religion and follow the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, as taught by the rightly guided scholars of the Sunnah.

I understand that it is very common amongst certain Sufi tariqas to permit taking recreational drugs.  The leaders of these groups are evil and wicked people who do not follow the teachings of the Sunnah, rather they are obeying their nafs, passions, and wanton desires.

Please understand that I am not saying this to look down upon these people, who may have the sincerest intentions.  However, in Islam, sincere intention must be accompanied by following the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him.

I have also heard from some leaders of the Shadhili tariqa, such as Muhmmad Yaqubi of Syria, that it is permissible to go to the graves of saints and call on their occupants and seek their help and blessings.

This is absolutely contrary to the Tawheed of Allah, and rejected by the Ulema, and it is the vilest form of shirk, or associating partners with Allah.

Let me tell you I have many beloved friends from Turkey, and I love them for the sake of Allah, and there are many good brothers there.  However, I must point out that some of those who claim to be "shaikhs" are not really shaikhs, they are gurus that do not follow on the footsteps of the pious predecessors, and go against the Sunnah, no matter how much knowledge they have.

Finally, let me remind you of the words of Badiazzaman Said Nursi, who said that "Tassawwuf is the fruit of the tree of Islam, but now is not the time to reap fruit."  He said this because this because secularism and the enemies of Islam are undermining the very foundations of our religion, and thus we need to focus our attention there. 

So beware of false Sufi shaikhs who innovate in the religion, and take your deen from reliable sources.

And Allah knows best.

You can also look here for more information:

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/66227/drugs

I pray my words find a place in your heart.

Your brother.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: