I often read about the benefits of drinking water for the body both internally and externally So when I read this article I was both saddened and wary: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3708380/Mother-dies-after-drinking-four-litres-of-water-in-two-hours.html
Mother dies after drinking four litres of water in two hours
A woman died from drinking too much water while following a controversial new diet, an inquest has heard.
Jacqueline Henson, 40, was determined to slim from 14 stone and was "over the moon" at shedding over 11 pounds in the first week of using the LighterLife diet.
But after drinking four litres of water in less than two hours, the mother-of-five collapsed in the bathroom of the home she shared with husband Brian, 40.
Attempts to revive Mrs Henson, of Huddersfield, West Yorks, failed and she was pronounced dead the next day. A post mortem found she died from swelling to the brain.
The inquest heard that the liquid-based diet is aimed at people three or more stone overweight, and involves consuming four litres of water a day.
LighterLife's plan advises consuming just 500 calories a day for a 12-week period - just a quarter of a woman's normal intake. It has been linked with water poisoning, hair loss and disrupted periods.
Mr Henson told the inquest that his wife came home at 5pm on November 14 and drank two large bottles of water before consuming more from a pint glass while watching television.
He said: "At 11pm she stood up and said her stomach was solid. She was walking across the room and was sick.
"At 11.15pm she said she had a headache and went upstairs to the toilet. My 18-year-old daughter Chantelle went upstairs and I heard her saying 'mum, mum'. I knew something was wrong.
"Her eyes were closed and she didn't appear to be breathing."
Joanne Neville, from LighterLife, said the company recommended drinking four litres of water a day, and the target weight loss was three stone in 14 weeks.
She said the firm "clearly" reinforced the message that participants should drink the water in small amounts at a time.
Mrs Henson was given the all-clear to begin the diet after visiting her GP for a check-up, the inquest heard.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, West Yorkshire Coroner Roger Whittaker said: "No-one should drink water in the quantity that Mrs Henson did over that short a period. Little and often."