// why do islamic dvds and cds cost so much?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Say the truth even if it may be bitter. - Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why do islamic dvds and cds cost so much?  (Read 2559 times)
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« on: Jan 21, 2009 10:14 PM »

assalamualaikum

can somebody tell me why dvds or cds of islamic lectures cost soooooooo much.

i mean if you live in london, you have to like pay 50 pounds for a single lecture series.   if you live in the states, its like 50-90 bucks.

can somebody tell me why this isn't highway robbery?

i have bought so much islamic stuff in the past, but the ridiculous prices prices really puts me off nowadays.

i mean this stuff should be on youtube for free. 

btw: what is the place called www.meccacentric.com  ? 
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2009 06:37 AM »

Wa Alaikum Assalam dost

If you haven't already, check this out: www.islamictube.net

Hope you'll find some muqallideen stuff there ;-)

Wasalam.

PS: I once wanted to start this project of making audio translations of lectures of great contemporary ulema of our time, and make them available for free. But then i got lazy *sigh*

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2009 07:05 AM »

wsalaam wrt,

in past years whenever different scholars spoke at conferences/lectures etc sometimes it would be recorded, sometimes it wouldn't. no one could obtain the audio cassettes, nothing was available, quality was extremely bad. some scholars had jobs as imams here or there or would be studying overseas, but too busy to do anything else. over time many of the scholars with the ppl around them established foundations/schools... ie hamza yusuf has zaytuna, muhammad al shareef has almaghrib, faraz rabbani established sunnipath, sh mokhtar maghraoui has zawiyah and so on. so now the people around them try to record things professionally, edit and digitize them, they design the cd covers, pay for the reproducing, packaging, making them quality and sell them at perhaps a slightly higher rate than their cost to support their foundations. these foundations are non-profit.

so in one sense you are supporting the foundation, also the concept of imams/knowledge passed this way, and you are also supporting the whole industry of making quality recordings for dissemination and posterity.

i'd also say if you walk into any store and buy a cd -- instrumental or spoken it will cost you upwards of 15 bux, but for an islamic cd your average price will usually be less than that and it does go to a good cause.

as for those people who think "knowledge should be free" blah blah... i'd like you to support your family/foundation/projects with "free". k thanks Smiley

ps we've spoken about this topic at length...if anyone wants to dive into archives and search around...
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009 02:44 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
I remember when we were in PHilly Sheikh Zaid Shakir said about this that people  always ask that when you go to some other religious conferences their cds,lectures and even most of their conferences are free, why does Muslim charge ? His reply was that because most people of other religion donates alot to their religious organisation where as for Muslim's the money is always short and most of the time the prices of Islamic book,cds just cover basic production/printing costs.

Wasalam
tq
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: