Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A rakah a rakah! My kingdom for a rakah!'

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Got Snow? Anyone? Yet?  (Read 1658 times)
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« on: Dec 14, 2008 11:32 PM »

Jannah? Kathy?
Have you gotten any snow up your way yet?
You know me by now, always one to post about snow each year. Grin
Finally got a little snow this week, not much to talk about and I have to admit,
a little disappointed. I'm such a snow bunny and even in the 19 degree weather was out
breaking the ice in the water trofts so the goats and horses can drink.
Been having to do that 4 or 5 times a day this week.
They're calling for a temp of 5 degrees tonight. Shocked
I'm ready for a snowmobile ride, a horseback ride in the mountain across the snow
and a snowball fight.  Cheesy
Anyone else getting snow yet?
salma
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
salma has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008 12:43 AM »

We did!!
In Houston!!!!!!
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2008 01:03 AM »

in Houston!!!
How much did you get?
Doesn't Se7en live in Texas?
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2008 04:20 AM »

salam,

we got ICE STORM. everything was covered with this thick layer of ice. the trees look AMAZING. it's like a winter wonderland!  however, a number of ppl have no power!! so sux for them, but inshallah they'll have power soon.

ws
CambridgeSister
Sis

CambridgeSister has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2008 02:47 PM »

salam,

Oh I'm not in USA but in UK Cambridge and we got a nice light dusting of the stuff two weeks ago. Looked pretty mashallah but its soooooooo cold!

Lately the weather has become so freaky here in UK, with high winds and snow,  two people died this week due to flash flooding.

The climate change is becoming more and more obvious each year. Inshallah I hope we can all do our bit which can reduce CO2 emissions.

For example:

At home only boil the water that you need for your cup of tea. If everyone boiled just the water they needed, the energy saved could power more than three-quarters of the UK's street lights. De-scaling your kettle can also reduce the amount of energy you use.

When travelling try to walk, cycle or use public transport, instead of driving, whenever you can. If you have to travel by car then consider car-sharing. Exercise gets those thighs and wobbly bits into shape Smiley Nowadays we rely so much on the car and hardly move ourselves, we are becoming like the robot controlled people in Wall E  Embarrassed

If you replace your car, consider buying a 'green' car or downsize to a smaller, more fuel-efficient model. I get annoyed when I see 4 cars in a driveway for a family of 3. Or people that drive huge 4 by 4's in the city, and need 3 of them for each member of the family, why?!

Sorry to sound so depressing, but snow is nice Smiley

wa'salam
Ode
Sis

Ode has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2008 06:28 PM »

salam...
no snow yet in damascus. but locals told me (who's just a newcomer) that this year's weather is strange indeed. there has been much less rain than previous years, so may be this is climate change problem as well.
it's sooooo...cold, though!
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2008 09:29 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Doesn't Se7en live in Texas?

I used to live in TX for a short time after I got married, but we presently live in Cairo, Egypt Smiley  It gets pretty chilly here in the winter, but no snow of course Smiley  I can't say that I miss it, growing up in upstate NY I remember having to shovel the stairs, sidewalk, dig my car out of the snow to go to class.... yayy for warmer climates  island but hmmm I guess I do miss the snowball fights and forts and making snow angels snowflake

Ode that's awesome that you're in Damascus!  Are you studying?  I lived there for some time and loved it.  I remember the winters were pretty bitter cold, and there was a light dusting of snow one year while I was there.  Yes apparently the winters are usually quite rainy, but for the last few years there has been somewhat of a drought, subhan'Allah.

(I wrote about it on my old blog, damascusdreams.wordpress.com, the entry is called 'rain'. )

salaam,

bebzi
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2008 05:58 PM »

Jannah? Kathy?
Have you gotten any snow up your way yet?

So much... I am already sick of it....
It was on the news the other day...we get more snow than Albany!

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2008 08:45 PM »

My daughter-in-law sent me some holiday pictures of the girls and their street with all the snow
and titled it, "I'll never pray for a white Christmas again'
They got 13 to 18 inches in an area that doesn't ever get half that much in a whole winter.
Where I live there's only been maybe 8 to 10 inches, and it's so beautiful. snow
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2008 10:29 PM »

Got snow; got warm and rainy; snow washing away.  I am so glad because naturally the snow plow blocked the end of my driveway (annual ritual it seems) and I was forced to bus it for a week - thought I was gonna "die" because the ability to drive one's car equates to freedom in my book.  Of course by not driving for a week I didn't use any gas and so still have half a tankful.

Snow is not my favorite thing because it means I have to shovel; got to move to a place that doesn't get snow - not that I want hurricanes or tornados or earthqukes etc. but I don't want snow either.

Fa'izah
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2008 09:51 AM »

i miss snow - a lot.  winter was SO my season.

and i really don't enjoy these bitterly cold saharan winds. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: