Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

All the world's a dars.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bush gets a farewell gift in Baghdad  (Read 2190 times)
timbuktu
« on: Dec 15, 2008 11:20 AM »

peace be upon you

Iraqi Journalist Insults President Bush
Video

2 shoes thrown at Bush

Minister Nouri al Maliki to mark the signing of a U.S.-Iraq security agreement.

Posted December 14, 2008

The Iraqi journalist who was sitting in the third row 'jumped up' shouting "It is the farewell kiss, you dog," the report says.

See also : In Praise Of Muntather Al Zaidi

Please sign the following petition:

Free Muntather Ali Zaidi
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008 02:14 PM »

Fantastic reflexes.... he dodged the shoes in style. 
Worthy opponents, the pair of them.  Very impressed am I.
nuh
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2008 02:23 PM »

As-salaamu 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakaatuh.

Golly, he can dodge quicker than Oscar de la Hoya. Maybe he should take up boxing in his retirement -- I hear Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao is looking for someone for his next bout.
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2008 03:59 PM »

salaam

herez an update, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/14/bush-visits-iraq-for-fina_n_150832.html
(Bush says the guy did it to get attention)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2008 05:10 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

The funniest thing I heard about this today was that at least they finally found some WMD in Iraq  Wink

Oh and the fact that the journalist missed by two feet!!

*shakes his head....who writes this stuff*  bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2008 10:58 PM »

wsalam,

Sorry to say extremely funny

I think he has the worst rating of any president in history.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2008 06:37 PM »

It was only a matter of time... but poor guy is in jail now all beaten up and probably tortured Sad

===========

Bored at work?

http://sockandawe.com/

Throw the shoe at George Bush - see how many times you can hit him!

Cheers,

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2008 04:15 PM »

Jannah you maybe right bc now it says the man apologised and wants pardon:

From AP
A spokesman for Iraq's prime minister says the journalist who threw his shoes at President George W. Bush has asked for a pardon.

Spokesman Yassin Majid says that in a letter sent Thursday to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki the journalist described his behavior as "an ugly act" and asked to be pardoned.

Majid says that Muntadhar al-Zeidi in the letter recalls the kindness the prime minister once showed him during an interview in 2005 and asked for al-Maliki to show him kindness once again.

Al-Zeidi, a correspondent for an Iraqi-owned television station based in Cairo, Egypt, could face two years imprisonment for insulting a foreign leader.

Reuters goes into more detail about the letter that Muntadhar al-Zeidi sent to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki:

"Zaidi said in his letter that his big ugly act cannot be excused," Majeed said...

...One of Zaidi's brothers said he had no information about him but found the idea he sent Maliki an apology unbelievable.

"This information is absolutely not true. This is a lie. Muntazer is my brother and I know him very well. He does not apologize," Udai al-Zaidi said. He added: "But if it happened, I tell you it happened under pressure."

Zaidi was brought before an investigating judge on Tuesday and admitted "aggression against a president," a crime that could incur a 15-year sentence, judicial officials said. He could face trial soon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/18/iraq-shoe-thrower-wants-p_n_152021.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Who is the man who threw the shoe? Islamonline investigates:

Muntazer Zaidi…Proud Iraqi, US Critic

Hazem Mostaf, IOL Staff
Zaidi is well-known for his hard-hitting reporting on the Americans and the Baghdad government.

Zaidi is well-known for his hard-hitting reporting on the Americans and the Baghdad government.
CAIRO — Muntazer al-Zaidi, who shot to instant fame after hurling his shoes at US President George W. Bush, is a proud Iraq and an outspoken critic of America's invasion-turned-occupation of his country.

"He is an ordinary Iraqi driven by a national sense of pride and pained by the heartbreaking tragic situation in his homeland," Ahmed Alaa, a close friend and colleague at al-Baghdadia television, told IslamOnline.net.

Zaidi, 29, threw his shoes at Bush during a joint press conference with Iraqi Premier Nouri Al-Maliki Sunday, December 14.

"This is a goodbye kiss from the Iraqi people, dog," he shouted in Arabic while throwing the shoes.

* Iraqis Celebrate Bush Shoe "Hero"
    * Was the action justifiable or not? (Vote)

Zaidi was immediately wrestled to the ground by Iraqi and American security guards and frogmarched from the room.

He remains in custody and faces a minimum of two years in prison if convicted of insulting a visiting head of state.

"He was not a member of any political organization nor any religious group," Alaa told IOL.

"He is recognized for his non-sectarian approach while reporting on the sectarian violence which hit his country following the US invasion."

Zaidi, a Shiite, is a star in the Sunnis-run, Cairo-based Al-Baghdadia TV.

The station named one of its studios after him after he was abducted by militants in Iraq in 2007. He was released a week later without ransom.

Zaidi was detailed by American troops earlier this year, but released the next day.

Outspoken Critic

Zaidi, who lives alone in a furnished two-room apartment in Baghdad's historic center, is well-known for his hard-hitting reporting.s

"He was very critical of the US occupiers and Iraqi officials who were supporting them," said Alaa, his colleague.

"One of his best reports was on Zahra, a young Iraqi school girl killed by the occupation forces while en route to school," he recalls.

Zaidi documented the tragedy in his reportage, complete with interviews with her family, neighbors and friends.

"This report earned him the respect of many Iraqis and won him many hearts in Iraq," says Alaa.

After making a name for himself, Zaidi was approached by many rivals, including the US-funded Iraqi Al-Hurra.

Zaidi snubbed the offer.

"I can not work for a pro-occupation channel," Alaa quoted him as telling one of his friends.

"It is a matter of principle."
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2008 05:13 PM »

salaam

so one man  from Egypt was so awestruck about what the journalist did that he offered his daughter in marriage:)
read here:

The Times
December 18, 2008

Protests rise over alleged beating of 'shoe man' Muntadhar al-Zeidi
Catherine Philp, Diplomatic Correspondent

The furore over President Bush’s shoe-throwing assailant spread through Iraq and across international borders yesterday, claiming its first political casualty as protests grew over his continued detention and alleged ill-treatment.

The brother of Muntazar al-Zaidi, who secured his place in infamy with his outburst against Mr Bush at a press conference in Baghdad, claimed that the Shia journalist had been so badly beaten in custody that police were unable to produce him in court.

Mr al-Zaidi’s family were told that a court hearing had been held in his jail cell instead and that they would not be allowed to see him for at least another eight days. “That means my brother was severely beaten and they fear that his appearance could trigger anger at the court,” Dargham al-Zaidi said, adding that his brother had been treated for a broken arm and ribs at the military hospital in the green zone.

Anger at Mr al-Zaidi’s treatment erupted in the Iraqi parliament, provoking stand-up rows and prompting the resignation of the assembly’s notoriously hot-tempered Speaker. “I have no honour leading this parliament and I announce my resignation,” Mahmoud al-Mashhadani said after quitting the assembly amid chaos created by Shia politicians.

In three days Mr al-Zaidi has gone from minor television presenter to a hero of Islamic resistance. Thousands of Iraqis, both Sunni and Shia, took to the streets in cities from Mosul to Nasiriyah yesterday in a second day of protests demanding his release. Smaller groups gathered in the Paki-stani cities of Lahore and Karachi. In Beirut university students threw footwear at an effigy of the American President before setting it on fire.

In Egypt Muntazer al-Zaidi was so struck by Mr al-Zaidi that he offered his daughter in marriage, a proposition she wholeheartedly supported. “This is something that would honour me. I would like to live in Iraq, especially if I were attached to this hero,” Amal Saad Gumaa, 20, said.

In Afghanistan, Mr al-Zaidi has become the subject of aSaturday Night Live-style television comedy show that used actors to reconstruct the scene.

Mr al-Zaidi has not been seen in public or by his family since he was hauled out from Sunday’s press conference by the bodyguards of Nouri al-Maliki, the Iraqi Prime Minister. He is under investigation pending charges of insulting a visiting dignitary, a crime punishable with a jail sentence of up to seven years.

At the press conference, Mr al-Zaidi, a reporter for the Iraqi al-Baghdadia television channel, rose to deliver a question before pulling off his shoes, one after the other, and hurling them at Mr Bush. “This is your farewell kiss, you dog!” he shouted in Arabic, combining two of the harshest insults in Middle Eastern culture. Mr Bush was uninjured but his press secretary, Dana Perino, appeared before reporters in Washington yesterday sporting a faint black eye, the result of a collision with a microphone in the mêlée.

Mr Bush has laughed off the incident, claiming not to understand the implied insult. It was “just a shoe”, he insisted. But nerves were rising in Washington at Mr al-Zaidi’s continued nonappearance, especially after the official spin that Mr Bush had brought Iraqis the freedom to register such protests without risking imprisonment or torture. The State Department said that it would issue a condemnation if it were true that Mr al-Zaidi had been beaten up.

Mr al-Zaidi’s protest has spawned a rash of viral internet games. One, from Dubai, called “Sock and Awe” gives players 30 seconds to hurl as many shoes as they can at Mr Bush, scoring a point for each direct hit.

lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2008 08:47 PM »

salaam,

It may be funny, but it still doesnt make it right. I guess I'm not a big believer in hamurabi's code of law...an eye for the eye is fair game...that kind of thing.  I guess this is another proof of how bad society has tumbled. From the state sponsored terrorism of our good ol USA to now shoe throwing at heads of state. Next thing you know we'll be making paupers princes. Although ,that's not a bad thing ;-)

Okay, I guess I'll leave now. I think I'm putting my foot in my mouth (no pun intended).

-peace
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2008 12:46 AM »

I found this whole deal with a judge having to go to the jail and the man not being able to go to court worrisome,
I feel bad and also wonder if this man hasn't been badly beaten.
It's not like the man had a gun or knife, he wasn't out to hurt Bush, just insult him.
I'm not justifying the mans actions but admire his bravery to take a stand for what
was in his heart.

Tell you what, Old Bush sure can duck can't he  Cheesy Tongue
I was quite impressed and wonder how much practice he's had.  Grin
Maybe Mrs. Bush has given the old man a lot of practiced in evasive maneuvers hehe

Another thought, why didn't Bush intervene and make sure the man was not arrested?
Taken to jail? Beaten? He could of shown much compassion in light of all that has happen.
I'm quite disappointed with my President. Sad (And have been for a long time.
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2008 02:11 PM »

Indeed.  He was apparently beaten:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081219/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq_shoe_tosser

Probably why he wrote the apology letter....
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2008 02:26 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

It may be funny, but it still doesnt make it right. I guess I'm not a big believer in hamurabi's code of law...an eye for the eye is fair game...that kind of thing.  I guess this is another proof of how bad society has tumbled. From the state sponsored terrorism of our good ol USA to now shoe throwing at heads of state.

This reminded me of a CD series by Shaikh Abdul Hakim Murad where he was discussing the issues associated with people being oppressed and how the manifestation of that oppression sometimes resulted in them doing things which were outside the scope of the shariah.

A true test of patience indeed!!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2008 02:36 PM »

Walaikum Salaam Wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatahu

It may be funny, but it still doesnt make it right. I guess I'm not a big believer in hamurabi's code of law...an eye for the eye is fair game...that kind of thing.  I guess this is another proof of how bad society has tumbled. From the state sponsored terrorism of our good ol USA to now shoe throwing at heads of state.

This reminded me of a CD series by Shaikh Abdul Hakim Murad where he was discussing the issues associated with people being oppressed and how the manifestation of that oppression sometimes resulted in them doing things which were outside the scope of the shariah.

A true test of patience indeed!!!

This is what Shaykh Yasir Qadhi said:

One wonders the depth of anger that must have been present in him to be driven to such a drastic move: completely ineffective on the one hand, yet so symbolic on the other. The journalist knew he had nowhere to hide; he knew he would be facing at the minimum a prison sentence. It was nothing but sheer disgust that he felt, and millions of people around the world along with him, that drove him to commit such a trivial yet symbolic deed.

------------------------------------
well this man seems to me getting more and more proposals;) (last paragraph in this latest update on msnbc:
--------------
Iraqi judge: Shoe-tossing reporter was beaten
Court files complaint on behalf of journalist involved in incident with Bush
Image: Muntadhar al-Zeidi
AP

Iraqi TV reporter Muntadhar al-Zeidi
 View related photos

updated 5:16 a.m. CT, Fri., Dec. 19, 2008

BAGHDAD - The Iraqi journalist who threw his shoes at President George W. Bush was beaten after the incident and had bruises on his face and around his eyes, a judge said Friday.

Judge Dhia al-Kinani, the magistrate investigating the incident, said the court has filed a complaint on behalf of journalist Muntadhar al-Zeidi, and added that court officials "will watch the footage to identify those who have beaten him."

Al-Zeidi was wrestled to the ground after throwing his shoes during a Sunday news conference by Bush and Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, and there had been conflicting claims on his condition since then. One of his brothers claimed he was harshly beaten, but another said he seemed to be in good condition.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Al-Zeidi remained in custody and was expected to eventually face charges of insulting a foreign leader.

"He was beaten and we filed a case for that," Judge Dhia al-Kinani told The Associated Press. "Al-Zeidi did not raise a complaint and he can drop this case if he wants to."

Request for a pardon
Al-Kinani also confirmed that the journalist had written a letter of apology to al-Maliki. Under the Iraqi constitution, the president can grant pardons that are requested by the prime minister.

A spokesman for al-Maliki said Thursday that the letter contained a specific pardon request. But al-Zeidi's brother Dhargham told The AP that he suspected the letter was a forgery.

The incident, a vivid demonstration of Iraqis' dismay over the U.S.-led invasion and occupation of the country for more than five years, turned al-Zeidi into an instant folk hero. Thousands of Iraqis have demonstrated for his release.

The judge said the investigation would be completed and sent to the criminal court on Sunday, after which a court date would be set within seven to 10 days.

Click for related content
Vote: What should happen to the shoe-tosser?

Overblown attention?
Al-Zeidi's action was broadcast repeatedly on television stations around the world. U.S. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack suggested that worldwide attention to the shoe-tossing was overblown.

"We would hope that the fact of a U.S. president standing next to a freely elected prime minister of Iraq who just happens to be Shia, who is governing in a multi-confessional, multiethnic democracy in the heart of the Middle East, is not overshadowed by one incident like this," McCormack told reporters in Washington.

McCormack said he believed that in the coming years "the fact of the president making that visit under those circumstances will probably overshadow any memory of this particular gentleman and what he did."

'Shoe Intifada'
In the Iranian capital Tehran, hard-line Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati praised the act at Friday prayers, calling it the "Shoe Intifada."

Jannati proposed people in Iraq and Iran should carry shoes in further anti-American demonstrations. "This should be a role model," said Jannati.

Also Friday, the head of a large West Bank family said it is willing to offer one of its eligible females as a bride for al-Zeidi. The leader, 75-year-old Ahmad Salim Judeh, said that the 500-member clan had raised $30,000 for al-Zeidi's legal defense.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2008 04:52 PM »

salaam

Do Something: Sign the petition for his release:  http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/montather/

and/or Call the White House (202 456-1111) and Iraqi Embassy in Washington (202 742-1600)

----------------
He was Viciously Beaten, Here is the latest from the Guardian:

---------------------------
Baghdad Clogger' suffered brutal beating after arrest
Muntazer al-Zaidi has not been seen in public since he hurled his shoes at President George Bush. In Baghdad, Afif Sarhan talks to witnesses who claim that a series of savage attacks left him with a broken rib and serious damage to his eye

* Afif Sarhan
    * The Observer, Sunday 21 December 2008
    * Article history

The Iraqi journalist who hurled his shoes at President George Bush was viciously beaten after being taken into custody, according to a police officer who accompanied him to prison.

Wrestled to the ground and then buried under a frantic mound of security officers, Muntazer al-Zaidi was last seen being dragged into detention. Controversy has since raged over what treatment was meted out to the man hailed a hero in many parts of the Arab and Muslim world for his protest against the invasion of Iraq. Yesterday there were further demonstrations in the Middle East calling for his immediate release.

Witnesses to his arrest and imprisonment have told the Observer Zaidi was badly beaten, during and after his arrest last Sunday, and that he risks losing the sight in one of his eyes as a result.

He is expected to be charged with insulting a foreign leader, which carries a prison sentence of up to two years. His family have received offers from hundreds of lawyers across the region willing to represent him.

An Iraqi judge appointed to investigate his treatment, and who has seen him in his prison cell, said Zaidi has bruises on his face and around his eyes. These, said the judge, had been sustained during his arrest at the Baghdad news conference during which Zaidi threw both his shoes at Bush, shouting: "This is the farewell kiss, you dog."

His family, who have been denied access to him, have claimed he suffered far more extensive injuries and was subjected to a prolonged and vicious beating, suffering a broken arm, broken ribs and internal bleeding. The allegations appear to be borne out by those who have seen him since his arrest.

One police officer, who accompanied him to prison, said the journalist, a Baghdad correspondent for the Cairo-based Al-Baghdadia TV, had been subjected to violence throughout the journey. The officer, who asked not to be named, said he witnessed security forces beating Zaidi in the car with such force that his ribs were broken. "I felt sorry when I saw them beating him. His mouth was badly injured and he did not utter a single word throughout until one of the guards hit him in his left eye with a gun. Then he cried out that he couldn't see, and I saw blood inside his eye. I am a police officer but even I have to say I felt proud of what he did."

A doctor called to examine Zaidi said his right arm had been broken and he had haematomas - indicative of internal bleeding - all over his body, particularly on his left leg, shoulders, face and head. The doctor, who also asked to remain anonymous, said specialists called in to treat him warned security guards that they must make sure his eye was protected for fear of a further haemorrhage which could cause him to lose his sight.

Zaidi's family allege that it is because of the severe nature of his injuries that he has not been called before a public court. As calls for his release were continuing, details of how he planned his extraordinary protest have begun to emerge.

Born into a traditional Shia family, Zaidi made no secret of the fact he was vehemently against the US-led occupation of Iraq and, according to family and friends, had said many times he would like revenge on Bush. A younger brother, Haythem, said Zaidi had unexpectedly found himself called on to cover the press conference held by Bush and Iraqi prime minister Nouri al-Maliki. His first action, it seems, was to return home immediately to change his foreign-made shoes into Iraqi-made ones.

A colleague at the TV station said Zaidi mentioned just before going home that "if something had to be done, it had to be 100 per cent Iraqi".

"Muntazer had repeated many times that if he had the chance, he would take revenge against the US president," said the colleague. "He held him responsible for the deterioration of the conditions we were living in. He just didn't have the chance before, and being asked to cover the conference was an opportunity for him. I am proud of him because he did what all of us have dreamed of doing, but were too scared to do."

Yet there is some confusion over whether the world's most famous shoes were indeed Iraqi. While another brother, Durgham, has insisted they were from the Baghdad factory of Iraqi shoemaker Alaa Haddad, cobblers from Turkey, Lebanon and even China - where most of Iraq's shoes are produced - have lodged rival claims.

Istanbul producer Ramazan Baydan insists the brown thick-soled shoes are his and currently known as Model 271 but soon to be renamed the Bush Shoe, or the Bye-Bye-Bush Shoe. He has hired an agency to promote them, claims to have taken 300,000 orders since the protest and plans to employ 100 extra staff to meet demand.

The originals, however, have been destroyed by investigators trying to determine whether they had contained explosives, which may come as a blow to Zaidi when he learns that Saudi Arabian Mohamed Makhafa had, reportedly, offered $10m for his 'shoes of dignity' and their 'high moral value'.

Friends of Zaidi speak of a dedicated journalist who lives in a small flat filled with books, many of them religious, and who was deeply interested in humanitarian issues. His political beliefs, however, remain unclear.

One colleague alleged he had been a Baathist under Saddam Hussein's rule and after the US-led invasion turned into a defender of religious cleric Muqtada al-Sadr's ideals. "I know people are seeing him as a hero, but he would do anything to become famous," said the colleague. "He said many times that he would like to become president of Iraq." Others, however, vehemently disagree with these claims.

Ahmed Ayssam, who graduated with him at the Communication College in Baghdad, described him as hard working and preferring to spend time with his books and family rather than going out. "He wanted to make a difference since he was a student, and he did it,' said Ayssam. "He is an example of faith and strength. He is a loyal friend, a hard worker, and if the Iraqi government allows it, a brilliant journalist without limits."

Zaidi, according to the prime minister's spokesman, has since written a letter begging for a pardon and regretting his "ugly act". His family are sceptical about this, believing it either to have been written under duress, or to be a straightforward fake. "I am suspicious ... because I know my brother," said Durgham.

The family believe his actions may have placed both them and himself in danger and claim to have received threatening calls. "There are thousands of supporters out there who applaud what he did, but there are also thousands that regret his actions and it has put his life in danger," said another brother.

"I am worried this has become dangerous for him, and about how long he will be alive for when he comes out of prison. It is a very delicate situation. I believe we will have to fight to stop him becoming a martyr."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: