// Lesbian's Gang Rape Shocks San Francisco Community aka About what we post...
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet. - Plato
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lesbian's Gang Rape Shocks San Francisco Community aka About what we post...  (Read 1920 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Dec 23, 2008 04:58 PM »

Lesbian's Gang Rape Shocks San Francisco Community

LISA LEFF | December 22, 2008 09:24 PM EST | AP

SAN FRANCISCO — A woman in the San Francisco Bay area was jumped by four men, taunted for being a lesbian, repeatedly raped and left naked outside an abandoned apartment building, authorities said Monday.

Detectives say the 28-year-old victim was attacked Dec. 13 after she got out of her car, which bore a rainbow gay pride sticker. The men, who ranged from their late teens to their 30s, made comments indicating they knew her sexual orientation, said Richmond police Lt. Mark Gagan.

"It just pushes it beyond fathomable," he said. "The level of trauma _ physical and emotional _ this victim has suffered is extreme."

Authorities are characterizing the attack as a hate crime but declined to reveal why they think the woman was singled out because of her sexual orientation. Gagan would say only that the victim lived openly with a female partner and had a rainbow flag sticker on her car.

The 45-minute attack began when one of the men approached the woman as she crossed the street, struck her with a blunt object, ordered her to disrobe and sexually assaulted her on the spot with the help of the other men.

When the group saw another person approaching, they forced the victim back into her car and took her to a burned-out apartment building, where she was raped again inside and outside the vehicle. The assailants took her wallet and drove off in her car. Officers found the car abandoned two days later.

The woman sought help from a nearby resident, and she was examined at a hospital. Although the victim said she did not know her attackers, detectives hope someone in the community knows them. One of the men went by the nickname "Blue" and another was called "Pato," according to authorities.

Richmond police are offering a $10,000 award for information leading to the arrest of the attackers.
Story continues below

Gay rights advocates note that hate crimes based on sexual orientation have increased nationwide as of late. There were 1,415 such crimes in 2006 and 1,460 in 2007, both times making up about 16 percent of the total, according to the FBI.

Avy Skolnik, a coordinator with the New York-based National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, noted that gay, lesbian and transgender crime victims may be more reluctant than heterosexual victims to contact police.

"Assailants target LGBT people of all gender identities with sexual assault," he said. "Such targeting is one of the most cruel, dehumanizing and violent forms of hate violence that our communities experience."

Skolnik said the group plans to analyze hate crime data to see whether fluctuations may be related to the gay marriage bans that appeared on ballots this year in California, Arizona and Florida.

"Anytime there is an anti-LGBT initiative, we tend to see spikes both in the numbers and the severity of attacks," he said. "People feel this extra entitlement to act out their prejudice."

___

Associated Press writer Haven Daley in Richmond contributed to this report.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2008 07:56 PM »

Salam,

blackrose no offense but can you post less of these types of stories unless they directly involve muslims. it's just depressing to read every day on here story after story of rape and abuse. we already read these in our regular yahoo news and other news sources.

jazakiAllah khair  flowersis
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2008 08:33 PM »

salaam

I thought I was posting a wide variety of topics.. This is the first time I put up something that directly doesnt affect Muslims. This is happening so much nowadays, its all the latest news. The reason I put it up is because we need to be informed and aware and accept that we are not the only ones that go through hate crimes.  I see that you removed the 'sex slavery in america' I think that was very important considering they are doing that in every town in america. It affects all of us. Its very widespread and we should be alert and careful. It actually so common but not reported enough. we have to protect our kids. and should be informed. kair, I had a wide variety of other stuff I was going to post but I think Ill take a break from posting. I have to work on the malaria project anyway.

oh yah and I wish you leaved the muslim kids with autism in the health section. and not in the madinan parenting because I think its important that guests get access to the info because many do not have resources for muslim kids with autism
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2008 12:59 AM »

Asalamualaikum
I mean honestly it would be quite unfair to say that is what Ive been posting. its definately not been the majoriy. If you go through the ummah center then you will realize that 'sex' and abuse' have def not been the majority of my topics. My topics range from the gazans suffering, to the elections, to the injustice toward muslims (such as hijab) to what going on with american muslims  and information on health.  Maybe that came up the last two days because those are the top news of the day. I guess we dont like to hear it but that is whats happening lately. And yes I was going to post tips but on a day where there wasnt too much top important news. Anyways like I said Im taking a break from here so no worries. And another thing I think if people werent intersted they wouldnt be viewing it but there were more than enough views.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2008 06:21 AM »

wsalam,

I don't think we need to replicate yahoo news or cnn here. We all read those so re-posting those types of general articles doesn't make us more aware, just more negative and depressed... ie crimes, thefts, rapes, slavery, abuse, etc we get a full boat of already and read those from our local newspapers and news sites everyday.

It's better if we post here articles of interest towards Muslims and perhaps rare articles that show the 'other side' of things such as what's really going on in the world like at Guantanamo, articles about Islam or Muslims, things that would be of benefit to us.

DOnt STOP posting.. let's just have more variety and balance inshaAllah!!!

jazakamullahu khairan

ps let us not speak about people when they are not here.

ws

pss i'm going to theorize why we don't have a lot of brothers here. they keep feeling like we are so negative towards them. who would come on a board where every article, comment, question is anti-brother, just going on about their abuses towards us, our bitter experiences, how they're jerks etc etc.. why don't we have any positive articles/experiences about muslim men. there are good ones out there (i think Wink)

psss i've been thinking about turning off the 'latest topics' section down there at the bottom. that way ppl could go into the sections they're interested in. sometimes people don't want to read like all articles on news. maybe they just want to read islamic articles or history and they would just go into those sections. that's how i wanted the board originally. maybe we could try it for a week as an experiment and see how it goes!! yes i know ppl would hate it but i think it would be interesting to try.

lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2008 01:41 PM »

wsalam,

I don't think we need to replicate yahoo news or cnn here. We all read those so re-posting those types of general articles doesn't make us more aware, just more negative and depressed... ie crimes, thefts, rapes, slavery, abuse, etc we get a full boat of already and read those from our local newspapers and news sites everyday.

not everybody watches cnn or looks at yahoo news or google news.  after the election ended i stopped paying attention to the news.

It's better if we post here articles of interest towards Muslims and perhaps rare articles that show the 'other side' of things such as what's really going on in the world like at Guantanamo, articles about Islam or Muslims, things that would be of benefit to us.

that's a pretty narrow focus.  in the end everything affects muslims though.  i suspect jannah is not pleased about a lesbian story.  personally, i didn't know about it, and when i saw it, it was like "wow!"

DOnt STOP posting.. let's just have more variety and balance inshaAllah!!!

i think blackrose is the only one who still posts anything.  everybody else is largely either totally dead or pretty boring.
i think she's pretty cool. i don't know anything about her personal situation. but i think everybody should lay off of her (and this is coming from someone who had an argument with her when she was silver instead of black).

pss i'm going to theorize why we don't have a lot of brothers here. they keep feeling like we are so negative towards them. who would come on a board where every article, comment, question is anti-brother, just going on about their abuses towards us, our bitter experiences, how they're jerks etc etc.. why don't we have any positive articles/experiences about muslim men. there are good ones out there (i think Wink)

yur wrong!!  more guys aren't on this site because the layout is really girly.  i am only on this site because of a freak of nature accident.   otherwise, i wouldn't even be caught dead here. 

there is very little anti-guy or guys are jerks focus on this site.  as far as i know, i am the biggest proponent of the "guys are jerks line" here.  all the girls are total pansies from my point of view.  they never stand up for anything.  and the only reason why i have "seen the light" that guys should really care about women's rights is because my mother is a woman's rights activist and one of my sister is really big on woman's rights and she has me edit her feminist theory papers and other papers on the abuse of women.  only after reading her essays did i realize how much of an idiot guys and even i am.

and just accept it, many, many so-called pious muslim guys are jerks.  its a fact. instead of hiding from this, try to change it sisters.  many of you sisters are just as responsible for so many guys being jerks because you accept ladish behaviour from your brothers and let your brothers take advantage of their mother. you never try to educate your brothers or dads about woman's rights.  never, never, never, ever, ever....!

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2008 04:46 PM »

Jannah, you're so right about the Recent Topics section.  That's how I navigate the site, and normally, I forget to follow up on certain topics that I want to follow up on.  Except, if you take that section out, then I would find the whole site too confusing, because there are too many sections (what can I say - I'm a bit of a minimalist)

I think online confrontations are so easy and can spiral out of control so easily, that it's usually best not to take them to heart.  I remember a brother (who used to be on this site way back when) once said to me that he hates me "for the sake of Allah and his Messenger"....  My initial reaction was anger (and like...jeez isn't that how you're supposed to feel for people who outright reject Islam??), but then, being the non-confrontational pansy that I am, I just kinda had a "mehh" attitude, and I stopped any further e-interactions with the guy.  Interestingly, he left, and I'm still heeeeaaa.

Also, blackrose, commendably so, you are very forthright with your opinions, and I suppose people who disagree with your opinions feel....well, that you're very forthright.   

Don't stop posting.  By all means, take the break if you feel you need it ("everybody needs a little time awayyyyyy, i heard her sayyyyy")
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2008 05:02 PM »

salam

I think Sr Blackrose posts up pretty balancing articles both about the Muslim and non-muslim worlds.

I also think, to blame bad news on her personal circumstances is really mean!

It reminds of early last year, when I was left in charge at work whilst the boss was away, and the girl I work with, who is usually very nice, but has always been a control freak with a rather inflated view on her own importance (well its got to be inflated when she is not an accountant knows nothing about accountancy and doesn't ever read the newspapers so has no idea whats going on in the immediate time!) but wants to be in charge.
Anyway that day, I had to make a decision it was imperative and given the resources I had I used my judgement and asked her if she was OK with it, to which she insisted no, so I offered two other alternatives which she also refused but she never gave me any alternatives. In the end I just went ahead and made my decision, and she sulked.

The next day however, she did this whole saccharine routine, where she expressed concern, and added she understood I would over react about stuff because of my personal circumstances....I was so mad I walked away from her.
When I calmed down I emailed her, and amongst other things told her calmly and firmly that I felt deeply insulted that she felt justified in blaming my perfectly rational reaction to her histrionics on my personal circumstances. Given that she knew what I had gone thro, and that I felt her to be a friend, that she felt it reasonable to project her own less than reasonable behaviour on me was completely disgusting, especially given the fact that had I not made the decision I had to, it would have been my neck on the line at work not hers. She never ever replied to me. I take it that she had no reasonable come back. I ensured my reply was calm rational and professional.

The only time I'm in danger of over reacting, is when I read/hear about women who are clearly being abused by their husbands, in that case I want to scream run run as fast you can, he ain't gonna change, and he'll utterly ruin you if you try and sit it out. Once a hole in the derriere always one!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2008 08:06 PM »

yur wrong!!  more guys aren't on this site because the layout is really girly.  i am only on this site because of a freak of nature accident.   otherwise, i wouldn't even be caught dead here.

jeez bro!! this template was designed by a GUY! hmm ok maybe i'll install the one where you can choose which template you want.

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2008 09:27 PM »

i think blackrose is the only one who still posts anything.  everybody else is largely either totally dead or pretty boring.
i think she's pretty cool. i don't know anything about her personal situation. but i think everybody should lay off of her

Thanks Lucid!!! and fozia and all the others who stood up for me!

salaam

Like I said I believe I have been posting a wide variety of balance for one person.  If you need more balance maybe other people need to post. I post what I think interests others. 
Looking at the lesbian post I guess noone can say I dont post variety;)  Anyhow I just thought we needed one, atleast one  post like this, I wasnt going to post anymore on it.
If you had just deleted the post or asked me too I would have.. But when you say Ive been posting this or that or only this or that its just not true.

I dont get my news from yahoo or cnn

haha Lucid you remember. as you can see I have changed, am a different person. 

On the men Im not sure what this has anything to do with all this but I would say I have posted many concerns for the men, just go the brothers section and all the pages. Although its not my responsiblity to do so. From my assessment there has been more brothers showing up and more views and more guests (there usually isnt this many if its not ramadan). this is just from my assesment . Plus men like the news and stuff

on posting honestly my hearts not in it for now. plus this was a place i could have gone to to ask duas to talk bout my problems. but now i feel like i would have to think twice before posting.. even a dua request..thas realy hard bc there really isnt newhere else to go.

and because Im not sure what I would do different because I probly wont do anything different.
Because even if I posted today it would be on 'growing number of children sold in Afghanistan' which I guess is kind of like slavery.  and it would be on Iraqi children becoming drug addicts and selling drugs which was nonexistent before the US invaded. So yah these things are depressing but they are the top news of the day. and I was going to post some things on antibiotics, and video on 'healthy marriage' but the news would come first for the day. Ive been trying to stick with 2or 3 new aday
If these are ok then its fine..

Just one you are right. I have become very forthright. I wasnt like that before. It was all on purpose honestly.  I could have ignored and kept the peace... somethings I still believe you should ignore. Well after publicly insulting me many times (and im not talking about someone whos not here, he is here lurking)  I could have ignored and he would go away eventually but maybe find somebody else.
yah everyone has their moods once in awhile and we should understand that and let things go but if its consistent we need to stand up. not for ourselves for for them. Maybe it was time to stand up, maybe its time we all stand up and stop ignoring. because ignoring is just not the solution.. and people are acting worse and worse (not talking bout u Nuh) maybe sometims people deserve to be stood up including myself.  maybe we let people get away with too much.

There should be a study done on this. So girls are standing up for themselves and the consequences. She is told it would have been easier to ignore, and I think maybe this thread wouldnt have come right after if I didnt stand up for myself. Since she defends herself she is being critiqued rather than sympathized with after being insulted
Was it really wrong what I did?.  .. So basically maybe we all need to stand up alittle, it might help the communtity be a little better place in the long run.

maybe we need to be alittle firmwhile being nice, maybe we can learn from ea other this way. or maybe the constitutiuon which is a good one should be implemented. .. atleast one warning should be give after the second or third of being insulted, no?

maybe Its time we accept our wrong and apologise. Like if someone tells me. Dont accuse me of this, this is not what I said. then I say your right.. I apologise.. So Im going to apologise to CHEESE because I think I went a little overboard there. Sorry cheese! I should have been nicer..
By the way I apologise to anyone whom I have hurt intentionally or unintentionally. Plz accept my forgiveness:)
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2008 11:06 PM »

jeez bro!! this template was designed by a GUY! hmm ok maybe i'll install the one where you can choose which template you want.

its actually more the flowers and stuff.  and sometimes you click on something and everything becomes PINK! and you like have a heart attack. 

also guys are a lot more into confrontational stuff.  the more a forum is "bang your fist on the table" type the more guys there are and the fewer girls there are.  just go to the hizbut tahrir or any any other such site and see that is all full of guys, many of them angry and bored.

i don't think you actually want guys like that do you?

(btw, as you know, i have a tendency to be over melodramatic, so don't (always) take everything i say literally)
Tabriz
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
Tabriz has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2008 11:35 PM »

Assalamu alykum,

Being forthright in one's opinions is not necessarily a bad thing. If it involves abuse and downright disrespect, then that's wrong. In fact, I believe there's nothing wrong with a heated debate either, with healthy limits, of course..
Most people go through many changes in their lifetimes. Hopefully, at the end of it we come out better and wiser people.

Sometimes we notice that we are going through a change, other times we don't.
Thinking back on my life, I have gone through a very dramatic change. I used to be make decisions in a second and act on it. Now, I am more clam and think things through--most of the time. There was a time, where I no longer had an opinion on anything, be it the top news of the day, or a decision within the family. Now, I am my opinionated old self again. Although, a bit more calm. At least I like to think I am!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: