// Saudi Arabia Rejects Divorce Plea From 8-Year-Old Girl Married To 58YrOld Man
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "No legacy is so rich as honesty." - William Shakespeare
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saudi Arabia Rejects Divorce Plea From 8-Year-Old Girl Married To 58YrOld Man  (Read 3210 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Dec 22, 2008 12:06 AM »

Asalmualaikum
Is this Islamic?
-------------------------
Saudi court rejects divorce plea from EIGHT-year-old girl married to 58-year-old man

By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 8:24 PM on 21st December 2008

A Saudi court has rejected a plea to divorce an eight-year-old girl married off by her father to a man who is 58, saying the case should wait until the girl reaches puberty.

The divorce plea was filed in August by the girl's divorced mother with a court at Unayzah, 135 miles north of Riyadh just after the marriage contract was signed by the father and the groom.

Lawyer Abdullar Jtili said:"The judge has dismissed the plea, filed by the mother, because she does not have the right to file such a case, and ordered that the plea should be filed by the girl herself when she reaches puberty."
Mass wedding in Riyadh

Grooms take part in a mass wedding ceremony in Riyadh in June. Governor of Riyadh Prince Salman and a local group organized a mass wedding for about 1600 couples to help people unable to afford expensive ceremonies

"She doesn't know yet that she has been married," Jtili said then of the girl who was about to begin her fourth year at primary school.

Relatives who did not wish to be named said that the marriage had not yet been consummated, and that the girl continued to live with her mother.

They said that the father had set a verbal condition by which the marriage is not consummated for another 10 years, when the girl turns 18.

The father had agreed to marry off his daughter for an advance dowry of £5,000, as he was apparently facing financial problems, they said.

The father was in court and he remained adamant in favour of the marriage, they added.

Mr Jtili said he was going to appeal the verdict at the court of cassation, the supreme court in the ultra-conservative kingdom which applies Islamic Sharia law in its courts.

Arranged marriages involving pre-adolescents are occasionally reported in the
Arabian Peninsula, including in Saudi Arabia where the strict conservative Wahabi version of Sunni Islam holds sway and polygamy is common.

In Yemen in April, another girl aged eight was granted a divorce after her unemployed father forced her to marry a man of 28.
nuh
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2008 02:30 AM »

As salaam alaikum.

Is this Islamic?
-------------------------
Saudi court rejects divorce plea from EIGHT-year-old girl married to 58-year-old man

By Mail Foreign Service

To answer your question --

No the Mail Foreign Service is not Islamic. Rather, another example of anti-Islamic journalism.

I really question your judgement when it comes to some of the outright propaganda you post here.

Regarding these sorts of newspapers here is what one scholar has said --

If the newspaper is as you describe it, then dealing with it by purchasing, using, or distributing it is a means of encouraging and financially strengthening those who publish them, an encouragement that is forbidden. I advice everyone not to participate in its sale or distribution. By boycotting it, we can force the editors and publishers to change their stance and their policy.

Ibn Jibreen

May Allah make it easy for us to avoid what is forbidden and may He protect us from evil.

nuh
 bro
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2008 02:47 AM »

How do you define what is "Islamic" journalism and what is "anti-Islamic"? If it is a positive view of Islam or if it has a negative one? If it sweeps some things under the rug or it doesn't? Owned by Muslims? Not owned by Muslims? Written by a Muslim? Not written by a Muslim?

Regardless, this story is very common in the Muslim world, no matter the source or place or location even. But I do have to wonder why we keep asking if things are Islamic.... whether it's a newspaper or a case like this. Is Saudi Arabia Islamic? Really, is it? Is living in the United States? I mean there's no end to this kind of rhetoric and debate.

Best to avoid these declarations/fatwas and concentrate on things which benefit us.

Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2008 03:16 AM »

As salaam alaikum.

I really question your judgement when it comes to some of the outright propaganda you post here.

Goodness Br. Nuh, I have always enjoyed your posts and your wisdom,
however I must admit this type of critical statement
kind of took me by surprise. If Blackrose or any of us read things and want to know more
or question it, isn't good judgement to ask rather than assume something?
I mean.... wow.
As Jannah says this kind of thing happens, and sweeping things under the rug does no justice.
Better as Muslims to take stands on that is right and just that to put our heads in the sand as an ostrich.  purplehijabisis
nuh
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2008 03:48 AM »

As salaam alaikum.

"Help you one another in virtue, righteousness and piety." (Al-Maidah 5:2)

I stand by what I said.

Cutting and pasting article after article of western media propaganda that shines an unbalanced and unfair light on the Islamic world is damaging to the collective spirit of our ummah. I am not sure where the child-beating, wife-beating, child bride, dinosaurs were stay-at-home dads and Lebanese women want to wed foreigners articles are going, but they make me uncomfortable because of the way they are being presented.

Muslims are better to take a stand on what is right. Further, we have a duty to stand for what is right based on the Quran, sunnah and our ulema.

"The believers, men and women, are Awliya of one another, they enjoin (on the people) Ma'ruf (good), and forbid  (people) from Munkar (evil)." ( At-Taubah 9:71)

I echo the words of Shaykh Abd al-Aziz ibn Baaz:

We ask Allah to improve the situation of the Muslims, to give them understanding in religion, to guide them to help one another in the promotion of good, to unite them upon guidance, and to guide those who are in charge of them. Indeed, He Almighty is the best to ask.

And Allah knows best.
nuh
 bro
Tabriz
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
Tabriz has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2008 04:55 AM »

Assalamu alykum,

Muslims should be the first ones to stand up for injustice. It is sad when stories like these fail to move Muslims to compassion. This story is about a helpless eight-year-old girl and the least someone can do it sympathize with the girl and her  mother, instead of going on a rant against the newspaper and the journalist.

Muslim media should be the first one to report on injustice.

A couple of months back, I saw a smiliar story reported by GEO, a Pakistani news organization. The police broke up a marriage ceremony between two six-year-olds. I am not sure about the age, to be honest, they could have been even younger. Anyhow, they arrested the fathers of both children. Pakistani law does not allow the marriage of children under a certain age.

It is sad when you rob children of their childhood like that. We need more laws to protect the vulnerable in our society and that includes children. When the parents are the abuser of their children's rights, then the government and society need to provide that protection. It is sad that the Saudi court system failed in it's duty. May Allah guide them.

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2008 12:34 PM »

salam

Just one thing, isn't the dowry the girls to do with as she wishes, so should not the dowry amount be put in a trust for her till she is able to spend it, not given to any other persons to spend....

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2008 01:08 PM »

Sr. Fozia, that's exactly what I was thinking when I read this article.  If what they write in the article is true, then the father is basically selling his daughter, and that is certainly not Islamic.
nuh
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2008 01:42 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

If

Ma'as salaama,
nuh
 bro
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2008 06:13 PM »

salaam

The reason I asked if it was Islamic is because I did hear that this was allowed in Islam but at the same time Fozia makes a good point.

Nuh maybe you should go look back at your posts, they arent exactly articles written by Muslims.  At the same time you chose to ignore all the articles/news I have posted showing the oppression Muslims face
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2008 06:24 PM »

A
Cutting and pasting article after article of western media propaganda that shines an unbalanced and unfair light on the Islamic world is damaging to the collective spirit of our ummah. I am not sure where the child-beating, wife-beating, child bride, dinosaurs were stay-at-home dads and Lebanese women want to wed foreigners articles are going, but they make me uncomfortable because of the way they are being presented.

this is wrong bro nuh.  it is not all damaging to the collective spirit of the ummah.  the ummah is far to big and strong to be disturbed by fresh air.  what is damaging is when people hide things like this and when people suppresss these things thinking it is destructive.  they are the ones who cause real long term damage to islam

I echo the words of Shaykh Abd al-Aziz ibn Baaz:

isn't it eerie that every salafi seems to think in the same exact way?  is it programming?  hard wired or soft? i have always found it impossible to argue with a hardcore salafi.  they never accept a differing view.

We ask Allah to improve the situation of the Muslims, to give them understanding in religion, to guide them to help one another in the promotion of good, to unite them upon guidance, and to guide those who are in charge of them. Indeed, He Almighty is the best to ask.

yes of course we all pray for better things.  i used to be impressed by the religiousity of people when they would end with flowery language like this -- it seemed to give credance to their patently false ideas.  now, i am very cynical and think it is just religious flaunting and an attempt to put a very islamic, emotional gloss on something very unislamic.

i am very sorry bro nuh for being so harsh.  you are a very good person with a very good heart. but the salafi crowd seems to have eaten your brain and issued you a new one.  (oh i am sooo mean, but not intentionally Smiley )

assalamualaikum
nuh
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2008 07:16 PM »

As salaam alaikum.

For the record. I am a Muslim.
Alhamdulillah!

Ma'as salaama,
nuh ibn zbigniew
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2008 08:56 PM »

salaam

NUH DONT MESSAGE ME EVER AGAIN (UNLESS IT IS TO APOLOGISE) ESPECIALLY TELLING ME THAT IVE BECOME CLOSE TO SATAN!

YOUR MESSAGE WAS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!

SINCE YOU LIKE TO PREACH ALOT MAYBE YOU SHOULD START PRACTICING WHAT YOU PREACH BECAUSE IN THE MANNER IN WHICH YOU HAVE OPENLY ACCUSED ME AND HAVE BEEN DISRESPECTFUL AND RUDE IS UNISLAMIC, DID YOU HEAR THAT? UNISLAMIC!

HERE ARE SIMILAR ARTICLES WRITTEN BY MUSLIM SOURCES SO BECAREFUL WHEN YOU ACCUSE ME POSTING PROPOGANDA!

From Arab business news:  http://www.arabianbusiness.com/541658-saudi-court-rejects-divorcing-8-year-old-girl

from Muslim News:  http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=15335'

from Arab Herald: http://www.arabherald.com/index.php/ct/10/id/84856ec8d48070cb/

from Arab News: http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=117401&d=22&m=12&y=2008

For the record. I am a Muslim

dont act ignorant, you know that you have not wrote all the articles and news that you posted. go back to the ummah center to refresh your memory,.

here are just a few (you even posted from fox news for Gods sake!)

http://jannah.org/madina/index.php?topic=1812.0

http://jannah.org/madina/index.php?topic=1839.0

http://jannah.org/madina/index.php?topic=2035.0

So basically you can post an article from wherever as long as it suits your purpose huh?
Tabriz
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2008 01:30 AM »

Salams,

Sometimes the best way to fight ignorance that is childish, coming from an adult, is to just ignore it. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink it.

Allah will not change the condition of a people until they change themselves. Sadly many Muslims today turn a blind eye to the ills plaguing the Ummah.
nuh
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2008 02:44 AM »

As salaam alaikum.

Audhu Billahi Minashaitan ir Rajeem, I seek refuge from the accursed Satan.

Before slandering me I would like you to post your proof. There was nothing evil, wrong or untrue in my private correspondance to you sister blackrose. Your response shows what a bully you are.

If I could, I would post the information to this thread so everyone could see how how evil you really are.

May Allah improve all of our conditions.

Ma'as salaama,
nuh
 bro
Tabriz
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2008 02:50 AM »

Assalalmu alykum,

Brother Nuh, you just called her "evil." That's a pretty strong word isn't it? May Allah guide you.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2008 04:25 AM »

salaam

well Nuh if you look in your outbox you might see it.  here is the proof that you requested I post. Tell me where exactly did I slander you? Its outrageous that instead of apologising you are now accusing me of slander. Its scary, weird, and a concern to me that someone who posts so much hadith and Quranic ayah does this. Do you deny you wrote this?  And Im evil now ok lol. Im not even sure why you messaged me. you were so mad or so concerned for me because I posted some muslim concerns so now im close to Satan? What did I ever do to you?
Here is your message to me:
As salaam alaikum.

Islam is the gentle and wise. Try to remember that when dealing with your brothers and sisters.

In addition, beware shaytan -- I am sincerely concerned for your well being sister I don't think you know how close he is.

Or maybe you do?  lahawlawalaqawataillabillah

I ask Allah (swt) to benefit His servants through you, to grant you patience and sincerity, for He is Most Generous.

Ma'as salaama,
nuh ibn zbigniew
Admin
Administrator

Reputation Power: 107
Admin has an aura about them. :)Admin has an aura about them. :)Admin has an aura about them. :)Admin has an aura about them. :)Admin has an aura about them. :)Admin has an aura about them. :)Admin has an aura about them. :)Admin has an aura about them. :)Admin has an aura about them. :)Admin has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2008 04:28 AM »

wsalaam,

OK enough. Everyone needs to have some adab here. Yes, we will disagree. Yes, you can post your information and debate and refutations in a calm manner. NO you cannot attack anyone or bring anything personal into it.

I highly suggest not personally messaging anyone you disagree with. Things can only get ugly in private.

I'm closing this thread, please cool off everyone.

ws
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: