Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Apr 17, 2014 07:57 AM

News:

Alas, poor imam.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I haven't read a book in 4ever!!  (Read 20938 times)
faatimahbintabdullah
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
faatimahbintabdullah has no influence :(

Love your brother and sister for the sake of Allah

« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2009 01:39 PM »

Don't feel bad Jannah I haven't read a book for myself since I got married just kiddy books to my 5year old lol
And I don't think I will have time to read to myself no time soon with my baby  mommy  another on the way storkboy and a 5year old queen
man I need a vacation island

My Allah guide my son to the righteous path
Mohammed AbdulMaged Elsayed 10/19/08 2months and three weeks
shareislam
Sis

shareislam has no influence :(

« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2009 02:36 AM »

Salams--
I absolutely loved loved loved The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
I agree The Memory Keepers Daughter is good.
Recently reread The Great Gatsby and enjoyed immensely.
Hated the Time Travelers wife although I admit that I couldn't make it past the first few chapters due to the vulgar language.
I've just started reading There are gods in Alabama which is quite enjoyable.
The book I've been trying to read for like 2 years is Moby Dick.

Happy reading
Stephanie
shareislam
Sis

« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2009 02:39 AM »

Oh yeah I was gonna say that when I'm trying to decide what book to read I sometimes go on Amazon and read the customer reviews to see how other readers like the book.
Even so, I'd say I don't finish about half the books I start usually because it fails to hold my attention.
Salams
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2009 09:56 AM »

Just read this on a blog recently and thought it might be helpful Smiley

How to Read More:

1. Have a book on hand at all times. Mine is in my purse. I whip it out when waiting for a friend, or even in a long line at the register.

3. Read for 15-30 minutes before bed, sometimes it ends up being a bit longer!

4. Watch less TV. I'd rather read words in a book than passively view television, cutting down on TV consumption has upped how many books I read drastically.

5. CD Books. I have a long commute so it helps the time go by. You could also put this on the house stereo when cleaning up or cooking.

6. Mix it up. If I read three heavy classics I need a break, but if I mix it up with a light read I find the motivation to keep going.

7. Get your books via e-mail. Tee introduced me to dailylit where you can get daily portions of a book e-mailed to you. This is a great way to get 15 mins of reading on your break, or when you'd be surfing the web anyways.

8. Learn how to read faster. I'm a fast reader. If you read slower, some tips that I heard work are putting a card under the words you read, and don't read with your lips moving, it slows you down.

9. 50 page rule. If I read in 50 pages and still don't like the book, I stop. I know many people who will sit with a book for months because they want to finish what they started, but this ends up delaying the consumption of books you might love! I say, cut your losses early and move on, if you can't get into it, stop reading!

10. Go to the library! I read so much more now that I go to the library, buying books is costly and makes you very careful what you choose to read. With going to the library you increase the amounts of books you can bring home plus you read things you may otherwise not have.
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2009 12:45 PM »

1. Have a book on hand at all times. Mine is in my purse. I whip it out when waiting for a friend, or even in a long line at the register.

3. Read for 15-30 minutes before bed, sometimes it ends up being a bit longer!

4. Watch less TV. I'd rather read words in a book than passively view television, cutting down on TV consumption has upped how many books I read drastically.

6. Mix it up. If I read three heavy classics I need a break, but if I mix it up with a light read I find the motivation to keep going.

10. Go to the library! I read so much more now that I go to the library, buying books is costly and makes you very careful what you choose to read. With going to the library you increase the amounts of books you can bring home plus you read things you may otherwise not have.

I do these!  Cheesy I tend to have a book in my bag so I can pull it out whenever I get the time to manage a few mins worth of reading in, like for instance, whilst waiting for friends to turn up when they're running late.  I even used to have a book with me in my last job, so if I'd had a pretty stressful morning, I could switch off and relax with a read for a few mins during my lunchbreak.  I always have a book on me when travelling by train (and in the past when I was using the tube).

Bedtime reading is a must, although I don't always manage it every night.

We don't have a tv, though we do tend to watch stuff on bbc iplayer and the like.  I think it's really helpful actually not having a tv, because instead of sitting down in front of a box in the evenings, we tend to go out more/meet up with friends/spend time together/get more work done/and of course, read Smiley (though I do miss having the background noise of a t.v. when I'm doing other things Sad).

I am currently mixing up my reading, as like I said before, I'm reading a heavy book and need to break my attention up with something else.

Deifnitely make use of libraries.  There have been so many times that I have bought books and after reading them have felt I've justed wasted my money because they weren't such a good read.  Now what I tend to do is, I still buy books that I'm really interested in, but those that I'm unsure about, I tend to get out from the library first.  And once I've finsihed reading it, if I liked it, I will then tend to go buy it from a bookstore to add to my book collection Smiley.

5. CD Books. I have a long commute so it helps the time go by. You could also put this on the house stereo when cleaning up or cooking.

I keep meaning to do this!  Still haven't got around to it.  As we live so far from our families, it'd be really good to occasionally listen to a book on the drive down and back up. 

Happy reading all  Smiley (maybe we should have a book smiley?) 

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
shareislam
Sis

« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2009 08:50 PM »

Salam Alaikum
I actually do alot of "reading" with audiobooks these days. My local library has free digital books that you can download to your mp3 player. I listen when i'm sorting laundry, doing dishes, and all those other monotonous tasks. If I get into a good book I actually get alot more cleaning done since I don't want to turn it off! They're also great to listen to when working out. you can see if your library has something similar on their webpage or on www.overdrive.com.

Stephanie
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2009 07:52 PM »

ooh, I like this thread. 

I've started to read a lot more now.  I actually visit the library which I love, cos in these credit crunch times, it's to be able to pick up a stack of books and know you aren't paying for all that reading enjoyment.  It's like giving gifts to yourself, hee hee.

Anyways, the books I'm reading now are:

Ghost Girl, Helena McEwen - only just started it.  It's a coming of age tale of two Irish sisters.  The writing style is great so far.

I have the right to destroy myself, Young Ha Kim - just finished it actually.  I liked the book cover (duh! I know) but that was it.  Tried to be too 'clever, clever' but never convinced me of the far fetched plot. A guy basically encourages people to off themselves and he's the clean-up guy.  Bizarre stuff.

A Thousand Splendid Suns - about 150 pages in.  It's not capturing my imagination, the narrative has a childlike, simplistic feel to it which I understand becos he writing about 2 young girls but gah, it's grating on me.  I'm sticking with it tho cos I think there is some major dramatic plot twist coming...

Also, to people curious of the Time Traveller's Wife, I say don't bother. That book was hyped to the skies and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.  Like a sister upthread mentioned, the language is a little crude at times and I thought the lead characters were cool and pretentious types that I wud avoid like the plague if I ever met them in real life.

I do enjoy a good romance novel though.  Twilight is a recent fave of mine (sad, I know) but I liked the twist on vampire lore.

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
shareislam
Sis

« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2009 11:14 PM »

Salama Alaikum,
Jannah did you ever find a book to start?
Anyway, I just finished reading Water for Elephants by sarah gruen. It was a really great read. I couldn't put it down. Very touching.
Happy reading
Stephanie
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #33 on: Jan 17, 2009 09:36 PM »

wsalam,

been very busy lately and haven't been able to go to the library Sad the one near my house is closed for 2 years so the only other one is downtown. but i borrowed a few books from my friend: The House on Mango Street and Life of Pi so hopefully that should keep me going.

jazaks for all the suggestions they're great ma'shallah!! i'll definitely be looking out for those titles flowersis
Traveller
Sis

Traveller has no influence :(

« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2009 12:14 AM »

I've decided not to get The Time Traveller's Wife in the end. I'm currently reading Moazzam Begg's 'Enemy Combatant' again.

Has anybody read 'The Oath' by Khassam Baeiv? And where in the UK one can get it?
Been lookin for this book for a long time.
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2009 10:49 AM »

I read 'The Oath' a few years ago.  It's really good, a bit harrowing as it's about Chechnya and the conflict there.  Very interesting to read about some of the infamous events that the media covered, which the book shows were very one-sided (i.e. the Russians had their own spin on them) and to read more about what was really going on at the time and the stuff that the Russians conveniently hid from the public eye.  It's amazing to read about how he worked at the most diffcult times within the conflict (I know it's still ongoing), making do without basic medical equipment at times and how he had to improvise.  I actually had bought my copy from a bookstore whilst on holiday abroad.  Have you tried Waterstones or Borders? Maybe you could get it from amazon?  Or if you don't want to buy it, perhaps go to the library,a nd if they don't have it, get them to order you a copy?  There might be a small charge for ordering though.

My husband bought Enemy Combatant last year I think.  He started reading it, but just like he does with most books now, he never got around to finishing it  Wink.  He used to love reading but masha'Allaah, doesn't seem to be able to get back in to it now.

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2009 08:10 PM »

ws,

I read Life of Pi. It was interesting and weird... and just when you think there's a happy ending there's a WTH?!! ending that makes you doubt your sanity and views on life. That must be why people love it Smiley Anyways... our new library is coming this summer inshallah so I hope to read more then...
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2009 11:45 PM »

salam

oh oh oh 'The alchemist', have you ever read that, I loved it, its weird and thoughtful and makes you think, and everyone I've ever leant my rather battered copy to, has always liked it too, regardless of whether they like reading in general.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

« Reply #38 on: Feb 09, 2009 11:32 AM »

I've finished reading The Cellist Of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway.  Although his cellist is fictional, the character is inspired by an event that happened in real life.  I found the conclusion of the first chapter to be intriguing and gripping and I knew I had to finish reading the book because of it.  It focuses on 3 characters and how their lives are affected by the war.  Such simple everyday tasks, like crossing the street, and going to collect water in order for your family to survive, can cost you your life, but it's through these acts that we can see how people are psychologically being affected through fear, uncertainty and also becoming normalised to the shootings and people dying so someone being shot dead in front of you doesn't shock you like it once would have before.  It also makes you wonder as the reader if this was happening to you, which group of people would you fall in to- the ones who run out and risk their lives trying to help the injured, or the ones who do nothing, for whatever reason, and just stand to the side and watch these other people trying to help? I'm sure loads of people would like to say the former, but I don't think you can know for sure until you're in such a situation.

It also touches on how those who want to defend their city feel that they are doing something right and that they are justified to do this, but when you are then driven by hate, are your actions still justified?  This point made me think about how our intentions change, so initally we do something for the sake of Allaah ta^ala, but then later that's no longer our reason for doing what we're doing, and going back to the novel, how hard it is to consciously not let yourself be driven by hate (this is in reference to the character Arrow).

There's a particular scene in the book when I read it, it made me reflect on it briefly, but then I carried on reading.  However, now that I've finished it, it's staying in my mind.  I normally try hard not to give things away so people won't know too much before they can read/see something for themselves.  However, I might let that slide here  Wink. The scene was of one of the characters Kenan, the father who had to risk his life to go to the other end of the city to get some water.  When he closes the door behind him, on his family, he slides to the ground because he's afraid he will get killed, and he thinks about all the things he wants to do with his children.  He hears a noise behind him, from within his family's apartment, and he quickly gets back up, just in case his family open the door and see him there.  The reason?  Because if he is killed, he doesn't want his children's last memory of him to be of him on the ground, seeing him scared.

Powerful.  Made me think how strong parents really are, even when they feel anything but, just in order to protect their children.

sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #39 on: Feb 11, 2009 12:58 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum,

So I mentioned it in another thread, but my next read, insha'Allah:

A Whole New Mind (by D. Pink). Also really want to finally finish the Shifaa (Qaadi Iyaad). It's taken me a few years, but I'm getting into it again.

Btw, I read the Alchemist. I totally didn't get it. ??
I really really need some right-brain therapy.

Roll Eyes

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
orangetree
Sis

« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2009 01:52 PM »

ws,

I read Life of Pi. It was interesting and weird... and just when you think there's a happy ending there's a WTH?!! ending that makes you doubt your sanity and views on life. That must be why people love it Smiley Anyways... our new library is coming this summer inshallah so I hope to read more then...

ooh, I read a quote from Life of Pi and it sounded very profound and deep.  Although I can't remember the quote exactly.  Dang, I should have saved it.  I do love a good quote Smiley  Anyways, it's piqued my interest.

BTW, it's World Book Day this Wednesday.  I hope everyone has a good book to read!  In my Islamic school where we work, we always hve lots of activities including one hour spent reading; staff and pupils. I've already got my book ready!

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2009 10:30 PM »

salam

The alchemist is about pursuing your hearts desire...that's what I got from it anyway. It may not be to your taste. I love it because its simple, easy to read, and actually you dont want to try and read it in one go because it's too much.

I just finished reading the witch of portobello, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I'm now on page 20 of War and Peace (seriously), it's so difficult to keep track of everyone in it. Is the movie worth seeing?

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #42 on: Mar 04, 2009 11:58 AM »

loved the alchemist. if it was a meal, it would be daal chawal -- good ol comfort food.

okay so here's a list from the BBC:

The BBC figures most people will have read about 6 of the 100 books here.

Instructions:
Copy and past into notes. Look at the list and put an 'X' before those you have read. Tally your total below. Movies don't count!

x 1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
x 3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling
x 5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
6 The Bible
x 7Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
x 8 Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell
9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
x Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
X 11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott
12 Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
x 13 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
14 Complete Works of Shakespeare
15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
X 16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
X 18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
x 19 The Time Traveller’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
20 Middlemarch - George Eliot
21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell
X 22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens
24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
25 The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
26 Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
x 28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
x 33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
34 Emma - Jane Austen
35 Persuasion - Jane Austen
x 36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis
x 37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
38 Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Berniere
39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne
x 41 Animal Farm - George Orwell
x 42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
X 44 A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery
47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
X 48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood
49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding
50 Atonement - Ian McEwan
51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel
52 Dune - Frank Herbert
53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
x 54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
x 55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
x 57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
x 61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt
64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
66 On The Road - Jack Kerouac
67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
68 Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen Fielding
69 Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie
70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville
X 71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
72 Dracula - Bram Stoker
x 73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson
75 Ulysses - James Joyce
76 The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
78 Germinal - Emile Zola
79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
80 Possession - AS Byatt
81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker
84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
X 86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
x 87 Charlotte’s Web - EB White
88 The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom
89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
X 94 Watership Down - Richard Adams
95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare
x 99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl
100 Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

I think that's 30 for me.

Wasalaam.
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #43 on: Mar 04, 2009 02:00 PM »

You've got me beat.  I only got 26 (altho several of them I read back years ago in grammar/high school and don't remember them much).

4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling
5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
7Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
8 Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis
37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
41 Animal Farm - George Orwell 
52 Dune - Frank Herbert     
73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett   
94 Watership Down - Richard Adams
99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl

PS:  I can't believe you didn't read the Color Purple.  That was a great book...
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #44 on: Mar 04, 2009 02:51 PM »

salam

1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen   x
3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte   x
4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling  x
5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
6 The Bible
7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
8 Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell  x
9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman  x
10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens  x
11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott  x
12 Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy  x
13 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
14 Complete Works of Shakespeare  x
15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier  x
16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien  x
19 The Time Traveller’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens
24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy  -I'm reading it Undecided
25 The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams  x
28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll  x
32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens  x
33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis  x
34 Emma - Jane Austen  x
35 Persuasion - Jane Austen  x
36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis  x
40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne  x
41 Animal Farm - George Orwell  x
42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown  x
44 A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery  x
48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood  x
52 Dune - Frank Herbert
54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen  x
55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon  x
61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov  x
65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens  x
72 Dracula - Bram Stoker  x
73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett  x
75 Ulysses - James Joyce
78 Germinal - Emile Zola
80 Possession - AS Byatt
81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens  x
86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
87 Charlotte’s Web - EB White  x
90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton  x
98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare  x
99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl  x

34 for me

Memories of a childhood spent lost in other worlds.....

Wassalaam

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #45 on: Mar 04, 2009 10:05 PM »

Does it count if you saw the movie lol? I'll put an O for seeing the movie Wink

1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen   xo
2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien  o
3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte   xo
4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling  x
5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee xo
6 The Bible
7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte xo
8 Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell  xo
10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens 
11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott  xo
12 Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy  o
14 Complete Works of Shakespeare  xo
15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier  xo
16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien  o
21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell o
23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens o
32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens  o
33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis  o
34 Emma - Jane Austen  xo
35 Persuasion - Jane Austen  xo
36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis 
37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini x
39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden o
40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne 
41 Animal Farm - George Orwell 
42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown  xo
46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery  o
48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood  x
49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding xo
50 Atonement - Ian McEwan o
51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel x
52 Dune - Frank Herbert o
54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen  xo
57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley xo
61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck x
65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas xo
68 Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen Fielding o
71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens  o
72 Dracula - Bram Stoker  o
73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett  o
75 Ulysses - James Joyce
78 Germinal - Emile Zola
80 Possession - AS Byatt
81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens  o
83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker o
87 Charlotte’s Web - EB White  o
90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton 
92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery o
97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas o
98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare  xo
99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl  xo
100 Les Miserables - Victor Hugo xo

22 books 36 films... guess that means im a movie buff Wink
a_desert_rose
Sis

a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #46 on: Mar 04, 2009 11:27 PM »

x 1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
x 2The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
x 3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
x 4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling
x 5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
6 The Bible
x 7Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
8 Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell
x Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
X 11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott
12 Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
14 Complete Works of Shakespeare
15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
X 16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
x20 Middlemarch - George Eliot
X 22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
x23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens
x25 The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
x29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
x30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
x32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
x 33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
x34 Emma - Jane Austen
x35 Persuasion - Jane Austen
x 36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis
x40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne
x 41 Animal Farm - George Orwell
x 42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
x45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
x46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery
48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood
x49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding
52 Dune - Frank Herbert
x 54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
x 57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
x 61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
x63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt
x65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
X 71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
72 Dracula - Bram Stoker
x 73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
x74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson
75 Ulysses - James Joyce
78 Germinal - Emile Zola
80 Possession - AS Byatt
x81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
x 87 Charlotte’s Web - EB White
x90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare
x 99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl

38 books for me  Cool They've missed out some great books though.
orangetree
Sis

« Reply #47 on: Mar 05, 2009 10:48 AM »

Here's my rather modest book list of 10.

4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling x
x5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Leex
7Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte x
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens x
11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott x
19 The Time Traveller’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger x
41 Animal Farm - George Orwell x
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton x
The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery x
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl x

I just bought The Curious Incident book yesterday so I'll get cracking on that. 

I wonder who made the list up because there are some classics on it but also some clangers in my opinion.  I mean, the Da Vinci Code purrrrlease!   I have terrible taste in books so I'm at peace with the fact that I havent read many of the books listed.

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #48 on: Mar 05, 2009 11:53 AM »

salam

I think the list is made up of bestsellers over the past decade possibly longer.

I read the Da vinci code, friend at work read it and as she's an agnostic she was raving about it as it validated her opinion on organised religion. I didn't think so, the book is easily refuted.

Still a fun whodunnit!

I rather like that list, I may refer to it next time I want to go book shopping.

Wassalama

cat
Sis

cat has no influence :(

« Reply #49 on: Mar 06, 2009 11:18 AM »

Slm, i read Da Vinci code a couple of weeks ago and found it interesting.  What actually got me interested in the book, aside from a friend who had read and raved about it, was that Islamic scholar, Rafik Shah, discussed it at a moulood lecture the one time.  Trust me, no one has ever done that (discussed or reviewed a book) before in any khatum function / moulood i have ever attended! 

I recently acquired an old hard copy of Oliver Twist which i will get to eventually.

Also a hard copy of Treasure Island was going at a bargain price which i bought to read to my son.

Otherwise, i have had no time to actually sit and read a book.  The thing is i cannot put a book down once i start reading and i can go an entire weekend without actually talking to anybody and just sitting glued to a book.  Not very healthy...hubby and the kids feel neglected.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: