Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Apr 23, 2014 11:26 PM

News:

A rakah a rakah! My kingdom for a rakah!'

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I haven't read a book in 4ever!!  (Read 21059 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Dec 23, 2008 10:50 AM »

salam,

yeah i haven't read anything in like ages... i think my brain is turning to mush...what's cool and new out there?

i'm thinking about getting:

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
The White Tiger: A Novel (Man Booker Prize) by Aravind Adiga
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell
Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time
by Greg Mortenson
A Mercy (Hardcover) by Toni Morrison

any yays or nays/?
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2008 11:11 AM »

Sorry Jannah, haven't heard of any of them.

In the past one year, I've started 4 books, and finished ... ummmm .... 1.  (Mush mush mush)

Maps for Lost Lovers (Nadeem Aslam) seemed like it would be a good read, but about halfway through the book, I got utterly disgusted, and it's been sitting on my bedside table since early November, collecting dust.

Snow (Orhan Pamuk) just got really boring.

The Time Traveller's Wife reminded me of a movie I'd already seen, and the girl I borrowed it from wanted it back, so I pretended that I had finished it, read the spoiler online, and had one heck of an intellectual conversation on it with her Smiley  (shhh, don't tell her).

The only one I finished was Tuesdays With Morrie.  I can't say I particulary liked it, it was too mushy and life-lessony, but it was a short, quick read, and I was getting frustrated with my no-reading track record.

My new thing is to take baby steps to get back into reading... I've started with Archie comics hahaha!!
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2008 01:14 PM »

salam

Okaay, I wasnt going to contribute, because my current reading matter is embarrassingly lowbrow, but hey ho, I'm currently three quarters of my way through the twilight saga, it's pleasant non intellectual stuff, and heck I have 11 years of reading ot catch up on dontcha know.

Having looked at Sr, Jannah's list, it would cost me too much mental capacity to jump straight into anything on her list!

I've also got to read Huckleberry Finn to vet its suitability for Fatimas school and war and peace is also awaiting my attention (seriously).

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2008 08:04 PM »

ws,

I was thinking about Snow...he won the nobel prize this last year didn't he? They said that was his most 'readable' book but when I read the description it didn't seem too appealing. Sad
The Time-traveller's Wife seems like it would be interesting! Which movie did it seem like?

The Twilight series is like on all the best-sellars lists right now, probably because of the movie. I'm trying to figure out the attraction?? I remember reading Anne Rice when I was younger but I'm all vampired out now...maybe I'll try it later on.

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2008 08:12 PM »

salam

This will probably illustrate exactly how utterly wrapped up I am in my own little world. I had no idea Twilight the movie was anything to do with the the books Embarrassed I had a rather confusing conversation with a friend who thought I was reading twilight because of the film, and only then did it click! I had seen the movie posters and completely ignored them, and as I don't have a TV, I was blissfully unaware!

I don't think Stephanie Meyer is anything like Anne Rice, I remember vaguely I couldn't stomach her (Anne Rices) books, I did see interview with a vampire tho way back when, and that's about as close as I got to her!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Traveller
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Traveller has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2008 08:26 PM »

Aaahh books.

The last book I read was 'To Kill A Mocking Bird' because my younger brother said he'd read it and it was interesting. Turned out to be alright, gets abit boring near the end.

Before that I read 'The Places in Between' by Rory Stewart. He travelled form one end of Afghanistan to the other, by foot, in winter, through the mountains and during a war. I'd recommend it.

I've read Khalid Hosseini's 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' and 'Kiterunner' twice now. They tend to depress you less each time you read it. Come to think of it, all books I've read on Afghanistan slightly depress me..

Can't wait till Hosseni's next book comes out! Ain't watched the film yet, I've got a feeling it'll just ruin the book for me.

'The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night' is really funny. I'd recommend that as abit of light reading.

'Khalid bin Walid: sword of Allah' - I'd started reading this about 6 months ago, but it got abit heavy so I left it for a while; its still sittin on my bedside table, gonna read it soon inshaAllaah.

Anybody recommend any other good ones?

Traveller
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2008 08:29 PM »

salam

This will probably illustrate exactly how utterly wrapped up I am in my own little world. I had no idea Twilight the movie was anything to do with the the books Embarrassed I had a rather confusing conversation with a friend who thought I was reading twilight because of the film, and only then did it click! I had seen the movie posters and completely ignored them, and as I don't have a TV, I was blissfully unaware!

I don't think Stephanie Meyer is anything like Anne Rice, I remember vaguely I couldn't stomach her (Anne Rices) books, I did see interview with a vampire tho way back when, and that's about as close as I got to her!

Wassalaam

I think Stephanie Meyer's a good storyteller, but not a very good author.

Twilight's alright, but I think its abit overrated (but then thats probably because my friend is completely and totally obsessed with it, and doesn't stop raving on about it..lol)

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2008 06:07 AM »

I saw A thousand splendid suns but I'm a little traumatized by KiteRunner so don't want to go through that again!!

I read an excerpt from Jhumpa Lahri's new book. Looks like a collection of short stories...want to get that but it's still in hard cover $$! And of course it's never available at the library!
CambridgeSister
Sis

CambridgeSister has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2008 10:48 AM »

The Time Traveller's Wife reminded me of a movie I'd already seen, and the girl I borrowed it from wanted it back, so I pretended that I had finished it, read the spoiler online, and had one heck of an intellectual conversation on it with her Smiley  (shhh, don't tell her).

I thought there is a movie based on the book? I don't know if its already been made, it has the guy that starred as the Incredible hulk as the time traveller.

Shantaram by Gregory Roberts was not bad (does have rude bits though)

A fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry oh that made me cry  Sad

The Godfather by Mario Puzo very violent but the language and the way its written is so good.

White Tiger - Oh just ordered it from amazon was half price, am excited to read it Smiley
JustOne
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2008 12:21 PM »

I read A Fine Balance... you're right, that's a seriously depressing novel.  Like if you're borderline suicidal, and you want something to send you over the edge, that's the book to read.  I'm not even kidding.  It was too much of a mirror for that crooked side of humans. 

The TTW movie thing -- there is a movie with Keanu and Sandra Bullock that has a similar (not exact) concept.

The Kite Runner was not my favorite book either.  It had so much potential, but it crashed and burned when that kid turned out to have good aim with the slingshot.  That was when I rolled my eyes...toooo theatrical for such a real book.

Man, I'm such a critic.  Ooh, but To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorites Smiley Atticus Finch makes my Top Ten List of Fictional Men. 

salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2008 03:04 PM »

Sis JustOne, I wasn't impressed by the Kite Runner either.  However, I really liked A Thousand Splendid Suns, wayyy better than Kite Runner.  I know some ppl were offended by the way Hosseini portrayed the husband and said that it showed Muslims in a bad light, and I may have felt the same way a few years ago.  However, this time, reading something like this was a different experience for me, as I read it as simply a novel.  If you read it as anything other than a novel, I think sentiments will fly, but as a story, it is definitely a good read.  Disturbing but good.

The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani is good too.  It started off so well, had me really captivated, but then once she gets married, the story didn't remain as strong for me, though it did continue to peak every so often.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards is such a beautiful book.  I really love the way it's written, there was something almost poetic about it and I feel like I haven't read this kind of writing in such a long time.  Once I realised I was nearing the completion of the book, I actually put it aside for a few months because I didn't want it to end!  Even when I went back to it, it still stayed a wondeful read until the end.

The Yacoubian building by Al Aswany was good too, though I feel like it is too similar to many other books which touch upon the same kind of themes. 

Currently reading The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein.  It's very interesting but a bit heavy so I'm reading other books in between.

Will be starting soon Dreams from my Father by Obama and Shadow of the Silk Road by Colin Thubron which seems like it'll be definitely an interesting read.  Kiss

Btw, I loved To Kill A Mockingbird  Smiley

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2008 04:23 PM »

Hmm, I read maybe once a year. But do try  ' Bel Canto' It's a nice book. A bit not happy, but good read. Not utterly depressing either. I have left The thousand splendid suns on the bookshelf. NO desire to read it at all. I hear if you read that, you may temporarily hate men...

I'm in the process of reading the Time Travelers wife. I think it has potential.

lastly, for i've been reading Anna Karenina for like 5 years (no joke). I should pick it up and finish it already. (I suppose I'm not recommending that one) Smiley

Oh wait, I read one more book this year, Fatima Mernissi: Dreams of Trespass : Tales Of A Harem Girlhood or something like that. About harem life in early 1940's Morocco ...It was pretty good. Someones autobiography...
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2008 06:05 PM »

Get yourself a copy of Taqwacores : http://www.amazon.com/Taqwacores-Novel-Michael-Muhammad-Knight/dp/1570271674
hehe
JustOne
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2008 09:33 PM »

Once I realised I was nearing the completion of the book, I actually put it aside for a few months because I didn't want it to end!  Even when I went back to it, it still stayed a wondeful read until the end.

I do the exact same thing with good books.  That's how I know they've made an impact on my life - I put them down for a few weeks!!!

Another amazing book I would recommend if you haven't read it: Catch-22 .... It was simply...great ... too much swearing, but still great.
Tabriz
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
Tabriz has no influence :(

« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2008 11:45 PM »

Assalamu alykum,

Currently reading "The Duel, Pakistan on the Flight Path of American Power." by Tariq Ali.

Read two chapters so far. Interesting book. Very different from the "oh pakistan was such a beautiful thing to be created" kind of sentimentality that I have been reared up on, but always suspected something was amiss though. This book is confirming those sentiments and questions.

This book is the first on my journey about learning what really happened before and after the partition of India. I started a blog and I think I want to make my blog where I sort of review and critique and question the various themes and view points of the book I read.

Everyone around me has read The Kite Runner. I am feeling left out. That is definately going on my amazon wish list now.
Traveller
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2008 12:21 PM »

Another book that's worth mentioning.. 'Catcher in the Rye'; this I found interesting, an insight into the mind of a young lad who seems to hate everyone and everything. The one thing I find abit annoying about this book tho is the repeated use of certain words that reflect the character's anger. Does ma head in!

Also, abit on the academic side, 'The man who mistook his wife for a hat' by Oliver Sacks. A neurosurgeon's reflections on some bizarre cases of certain diseases and their effects on the patient's daily life, such as amnesia, autism, schizophrenia etc. Very interesting.

Oh and Atticus Finch is top! We don't come across a character like that very often, but when you do - warms the heart, lol.  Kiss I think one other book where I discovered the same characteristics is in Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry..the father (I think it was), he was a quality person on the page, aswell.

I've read Shantaram..its an interesting read, can't believe its based on a true story! I found it abit dark and depressing in some places.

Re: Godfather - that (and the LOTR trilogy!) is the only only book where the film is better than the book, I find. Its well written, but Puzo should've limited the use of bad language etc, innit  Roll Eyes

Anyways, I think I might get The Time Traveller's Wife' now..

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2008 10:00 PM »

What's shantaram about?

I was also thinking of getting the sequel to The Twentieth Wife, 'Feast of Roses' I think it is. The first one was an interesting read.

These look adorably cute too:

Imaginary Men by Anjali Bannerjee
Almost Single by Advaita Kala
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2008 01:48 AM »

Also, abit on the academic side, 'The man who mistook his wife for a hat' by Oliver Sacks. A neurosurgeon's reflections on some bizarre cases of certain diseases and their effects on the patient's daily life, such as amnesia, autism, schizophrenia etc. Very interesting.

Hey, I read that too and really liked it, though some of the terminology I just tended to skip over (though worryingly some of it is related to my field somewhat, so I should have paid more attention!  Tongue) .  He's got another one out called Musicophilia, which I've not read.

Jannah, I've read the Twentieth wife and really enjoyed it, and I've also kept meaning to get ahold of the other one.  You might be interested in reading Empress Orchid by Anchee Min.  It's one of the better books I've found on the Far East and it's about a girl who tries to become one of the wives of the Emperor of China, and once she does, how she tries to compete for his attention from his other wives and concubines.  The story continues in The Last Empress but is different as it is about her trying to keep the Dynasty alive through young Emperors who clearly aren't cut out out for it and how the West is also responsible for the downfall of the Empire.

Another book I would really recommend is The Rice Mother by Rani Manicka.  I read it last year, which tells you how much I must love it that I can still remember it now!  It is grim but well written that you can just about bear the misery.  There are some themes in it, such as rape and torture/violence that I found really hard to stomach at parts, but seriously, this is an absolute must read.  There were times that I exclaimed out loud, and I even had a nightmare based on a specific scene in the book!  My hubby told me to stop reading it as it was clearly affecting me, but I just couldn’t stop.  I loved the writing style of the author, and plus, much of the story is set in Malaysia (think it begins in Sri Lanka initially).  Malaysia’s a country I totally love, having spent some months living there in the recent past, and so it was great to read bits of the country’s history, particularly under the Japanese occupation. The story focuses on particular characters from different generations within one particular family.  I read her other novel Touching Earth and thought it was awful.  I just didn't find it a good read and didn't feel that it was written well.  The author herself said at the beginning of the book that those looking for something similar to The Rice Mother won't find it in Touching Earth and perhaps shouldn't read it.  I almost wish I'd taken her advice  Roll Eyes

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2008 06:02 AM »

There are some themes in it, such as rape and torture/violence that I found really hard to stomach at parts, but seriously, this is an absolute must read.  There were times that I exclaimed out loud, and I even had a nightmare based on a specific scene in the book!

ahhhhghhh!!! ur kidding!! i would never be able to stomach something like that. i just hate watching/reading stuff like that on purpose. life is already too depressing!  :'( i get nightmares from things too and then for life i'm freaked out walking to my car or something!!
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2008 01:35 PM »

Assalaamu Alaykum, all.

I have a dumb question:  The Time Traveler's Wife--is it science fiction?  Or is it just one of those books that sounds like it's scifi and it's not...

(Just noticed the hobbit hole at the top of this board!  I love it!)

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2008 07:02 PM »

ws,

I love watching scifi but somehow I can't get into it reading it. Just seems so crazy and out there reading it...like fantasy... which is another genre I can't really get into either. I think I needssss a trip to the library sooon!!  reader
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2008 05:04 AM »

salam

Started reading Hope and Despair by Monia Mazigh (wife of Maher Arar).  It was released just in november.  Very captivating.  Especially that I have been following the story from the beginning.

wassalam
JustOne
Sis

« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2008 09:48 AM »

i think it falls under scifi... but there are no aliens Smiley  it's kinda very icky gooey romantic  loveshower

the concept is scifi... that time isn't as linear as we perceive it to be, at least not for everyone. 
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2008 06:11 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum,
My reading list is incredibly boring to my family members, but I'm a big fan of memoirs, health & and informational books.
Like:

1) Seven Habits of...(finally read it)
2) Three Cups of Tea (gotta read it, inspirational)
3) In the Footsteps of the Prophet (by Tariq Ramadan, haven't finished it yet).
4) And some books on Chinese medicine, Tibb, etc...

Not so into fiction, but the last one I read was "Change of Heart" by J. Picoult

All I can think of for now...

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2009 10:53 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

In the Footsteps of the Prophet (by Tariq Ramadan, haven't finished it yet).

Interesting, this is on my to read list. Let us know what you make of it.

On a side note, where do you guys read?

In London, I used to read all the the time on the Tube but now that I tend to drive more I find my reading time cut down drastically!!

Maybe I should invest in that Amazon Kindle thingymejig....anyone got one of those yet??

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: