Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Apr 23, 2014 05:59 PM

News:

A dua on both your houses.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I haven't read a book in 4ever!!  (Read 21047 times)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #75 on: Dec 05, 2013 01:19 PM »

I need a bedside floor lamp, I can't read books in bed as we're all piled in to the same room during winter to keep warm. And a kindle is not the same as a lovely book.

Love the picture you paint.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #76 on: Dec 05, 2013 09:00 PM »

I've been reading a lot of non-fiction lately, and I can recommend 'They Boy with the Topknot' by Sathnam Sanghera.  It's about a Sikh journalist and his upbringing in Wolverhampton.  It's an absolute hoot and also sad becos it deals with his father who he discovers has schizophrenia.  It's funny and poignant.

'Bad Blood' is another memoir by Lorna Sage and her childhood of poverty in a vicarage.  It's really interesting and it's not a 'misery memoir' in the typical sense (you know the salacious, horribly written ones). 

Also, as a classic, I'd recommend 'Walden' by Henry David Thoreau.  I found it inspirational and it's highly quotable - something to impress your friends with at dinner parties!

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #77 on: Dec 05, 2013 10:27 PM »

Sis fozia that is precisely why I got a tablet so hubby not disturbed by lamps ....
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #78 on: Dec 06, 2013 01:26 AM »

Yeah i usually read in bed just before sleeping...I wish I had read more when I was younger (high school and earlier), but yeah, while I understand the use of tablets to have many books in one place, nothing like holding an actual book and entering into that world - not staring at a screen - don't we do that enough already? Smiley

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #79 on: Dec 09, 2013 05:31 AM »

Have you read L.M. Montgomery (author of "Anne of Green Gables")? She also has some lesser-known books, like "The Blue Castle", which is an entertaining, lighthearted read written for an adult audience.

If you have a taste for satire, one of my friends introduced me to a British author a few years ago named Terry Pratchett. I'm really not into sci-fi in general, but I love his sense of humour, and I usually laugh out loud reading his books. If you like his writing style, you'll have a long series about an alternate world (which shockingly resembles our world Smiley ) that you can enjoy for a while.

Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #80 on: Dec 09, 2013 09:33 AM »

oh, I have a load of Terry Pratchett books on my kindle...I just never knew who he was (thought Terry was a she), but thanks to sis Tahirah for giving a thumbs up!  And not revealing too much (appreciate it!!).  The time has passed for me to read serious works of prose, a book that gets me laughing, that I can take any day!

happy reading
salam
S
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #81 on: Dec 09, 2013 10:06 AM »

Terry Pratchett is very funny, read his Discworld death books for a proper laugh.

He's suffering from Alzheimer's now and it's pretty heartbreaking, he is very open about it.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
tahirah
Sis

« Reply #82 on: Dec 09, 2013 03:44 PM »

No prob, sis Shahidah  Wink . His Discworld books are a series (starting with the Color of Magic), but you can basically start with any of them without being confused. I think a few are spoofs of classical works, and some are hilarious social commentaries, like "Going Postal" (one of my favorites so far) on the perils of working for the government.

Sis Fozia, yeah, DEATH is my friend's favorite character, lol. But I haven't read any of those yet.

I remember when I first heard about Terry Pratchett's Alzheimer's diagnosis, I thought about the ironic illnesses that have befallen some famous people (The actor who played Superman, becoming paralyzed from the neck down; Muhammad Ali, and incredible boxer suffering from Parkinson's; Terry Pratchett, with his brilliant mind, being diagnosed with Alzheimer's)...
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #83 on: Dec 09, 2013 04:28 PM »

I remember reading Terry Pratchett, he was very funny! I think that I ended up giving him up because I got a little bit uncomfortable with the constant jokes and stories of the gods.

L.M. Montgomery also wrote 'Emily of New Moon' - the animated adaptation felt better than the book, but she said that Emily was by far her favorite character.
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #84 on: Dec 10, 2013 08:51 AM »

Oh sis Nature, you brought back a lovely memory!!! I loved Emily of New Moon...the animated series.  Got hooked, it was done so well (watched it in Arabic, haven't seen the English version, but am sure the language is equally good).  Then I bought the books, and couldn't get beyond the first couple of chapters...she must hold some record in being able to cram the most adjectives into a sentence!  It was long winded and too much effort to read for little reward in the end...LOVED the animated series, it was really awesome!
imaazh
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 17
imaazh has no influence :(

« Reply #85 on: Dec 12, 2013 03:29 AM »

Terry Pratchett's "Mort" is very funny! It's the book where Mort becomes Death's apprentice and we get to know them both.  Death is hilarious. 

"The Blue Castle" by L.M. Montgomery is one of my all time favourites.  I read it every couple of years.  It's not a profound work of literature, but the language and sweet whimsical story keep me returning to it.  Perhaps it is a bit too whimsical, but don't we all need a little bit of that every now and again?

If you like period fiction with a bit of mystery, Kate Morton has written a few books set mainly in the early part of the twentieth century and involve the uncovering of family secrets.   "The Forgotten Garden" and "The Secret Keeper" are my favourites.   I didn't really like "The Shifting Fog".  The ending was too haunting. A page or so of skipping but otherwise really good. 

Sharon Maas, a Guyanese writer of Indian descent wrote "Of Marriageable Age" as her debut novel.  It's told through the eyes of several characters and shifts in time and setting.  She's written some other books but they are nowhere near as good as the first novel. 

I am always on the lookout for Post-Colonial/South Asian Literature in English.  I love short stories, so I try and collect them whenever I can. 

I once read a short story by Kunal Basu called "The Japanese Wife" about a man in India and his wife in Japan they've never met but ...  ... a very sweet sad story.  I believe it was made into a film.

First week of the summer holidays here, and I've already demolished 3 novels.  Love this thread, it'll keep me going all holidays me thinks. 
tahirah
Sis

« Reply #86 on: Dec 13, 2013 03:43 AM »

Sis Nature, I'm glad you mentioned Middlemarch. I started it a long time ago, and I don't think I ever finished it - or if I did, I forgot how it ends. Maybe it was too brooding, as I like my brooding with a dose of absursity. (I thought a good amount of Jane Eyre was funny). I'm going to try it again, though, and see if I like it better this time around.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #87 on: Dec 18, 2013 01:19 PM »

I thought all you fans of Anne of Green Gables would like this article Smiley reader
 11 Indispensable Life Lessons Every Woman Can Learn From 'Anne Of Green Gables'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/15/anne-of-green-gables-_n_4275662.html
imaazh
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 17
imaazh has no influence :(

« Reply #88 on: Dec 19, 2013 12:49 PM »

Thanks for posting the article.  Love "Anne of Green Gables" and all the Avonlea books.  There's definitely a lot you can learn from Anne - she's such a scatter-brained loveable character.  The film adaptations where all quite good too, although part three of the film version kind of deviated from the original stories.   

L.M. Montgomery and her heroines have an appeal to almost everyone.  I loved "Jane of Lantern Hill".  Jane was such a sensible, practical character and always thinking one step ahead.  Loved the way she planned her dad's garden and the description of the cats she acquires. 

Sister Tahirah, I too attempted to read Middlemarch but never finished it.  Sometimes you come across certain books and no matter how much you try you just can't get into them.  One such book on my "try again list" is 'Moby Dick'.  I think I've tried to read it about five or six times over the years but can't get past the first three or four chapters.   I don't know why.  It's supposed to be a great work of literature, but I just can't get into it.  I'll have another go eventually and who knows, something just might click. 
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #89 on: Dec 22, 2013 06:04 PM »

twelve  days of kindle sale at amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_179141507_2?ie=UTF8&node=3974595031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=10MNG2K1NGR71EYJ1FAE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=457344067&pf_rd_i=341689031

Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #90 on: Dec 22, 2013 08:04 PM »

I've just finished the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, lovely reading as always!

If you want a really mind-blowing intellectual read, try 'Invisible Man' by Ralph Ellison. I'm reading it right now - it's about the nameless black narrator's journey from his Southern black college to the North, where he encounters strange situations and eventually turns mad, recording his experience as an 'Invisible Man'. FULL of symbolism, and it was written in the 1950s - in the words of Wikipedia, "It addresses many of the social and intellectual issues facing African-Americans early in the twentieth century, including black nationalism, the relationship between black identity and Marxism, and the reformist racial policies of Booker T. Washington, as well as issues of individuality and personal identity."

P.S. Sis imaazh, I think that the main reason I got into Middlemarch was that I read it on a kindle and didn't realize how long it was! When you're holding all that paper, it can be off-putting to read on when the story is so slow-moving.
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #91 on: Dec 23, 2013 10:12 AM »

The Invisible Man sounds appetizing. I just downloaded an electronic copy and will try it. It appears I have regained my reading spirits since I employed sister Jannah's reading tricks.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: