// Halal Tiramasu recipe
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Diet: The Prophet said: 'There is no vessel worse for the son of Adam to fill than his stomach. A few morsels are sufficient for him. If he is to consume more then a third is for his food, a third for his drink, and a third for air.' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî, Sunan Ibn Mâjah)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halal Tiramasu recipe  (Read 11868 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Dec 27, 2008 10:05 AM »

My friend made this the other day and it was awwwesome. I want to try it one day so I'm posting here for safe keeping Wink

She said she replaced the usual 'coffee liquor' with 'coffee' and added two capfuls of artificial vanilla extract.

Classic Halal Tiramisu     

Rated: 5 out of 5 by 420 members    

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes    Ready In: 2 Hours
(This is really like 2 hours!!)

Yields: 12 servings

"Classic Italian dessert made with ladyfingers and mascarpone cheese. It can be made in a trifle bowl or a springform pan."

INGREDIENTS:
6 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 1/4 cups mascarpone cheese (they say 8 oz = 1 cup)
1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream (make sure it's 'heavy')
2 (12 ounce) packages ladyfingers (i would say 3 even)

1/3 cup coffee
2 capfulls artificial vanilla extract

1 teaspoon unsweetened
cocoa powder, for dusting
1 (1 ounce) square semisweet
chocolate

DIRECTIONS:

1.    Combine egg yolks, vanilla extract and sugar in the top of a double boiler (or two pans on top of each other), over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon colored. (Start with eggs on burner and add in sugar a little at a time so it melts well.)

2.    Add mascarpone to whipped yolks. Beat until combined. In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks. (There's a trick to this, go only in one direction moving upwards.) Gently fold into yolk mixture and set aside.

3.    Split the lady fingers in half, and line the bottom and sides of a large glass bowl. Brush with coffee. Spoon half of the cream filling over the lady fingers. Repeat ladyfingers, coffee liqueur and filling layers. (I'd say equal layers of ladyfingers and mascarpone.) Garnish with cocoa and chocolate curls. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.

4.    To make the chocolate curls, use a vegetable peeler and run it down the edge of the chocolate bar.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010 06:03 AM »

Salams,

Well it took me two years but I finally made this. I fixed up the above recipe and here's the picture Smiley Everyone loved it!
skhansj
Bro

Reputation Power: 1
skhansj has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010 02:58 AM »

That looks absolutely yummy. All you need is some Turkish coffee, or chai.... and you'll have a whole bunch of happy friends/family (you're not planning to eat the whole thing yourself, are you Huh??!!!!)

Smiley
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010 05:27 AM »

It's gone Smiley alhamdulillah was great Wink

ws
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2010 06:55 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

As the eloquent cats say on that one website, NOM NOM NOM.

In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks.

what does that even mean?  it's a very cool phrase though 'whip cream to stiff peaks', like as if Stiff Peaks is a place and you whip the cream until it runs away there?   Huh?

what  Undecided
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2010 07:24 AM »

wsalam,

hah funny... Stiff Peaks must be a new show like Twin Peaks... except this time its the murder of...  cookiemonster yummy desserts!! Tongue

whip cream to stiff peaks means to use those wiry mixy thingies and start mixing it at a right angle lifting up as you go at a steady pace for 10 mins. i didna know how to do it either but alhamdullilah my sister in law was able to do it and then it comes out like whipped cream.
Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2010 12:37 PM »

A friend of mine gave me a really quick version of this.... takes 5 minutes tastes wonderful stays on hips forever!!!!

line the bottom of a dish with trifle fingers (thing this is same as US ladyfingers)

make a cup/2 cups of v strong instant coffee (depends how much u like coffee) pour over the fingers so it absorbs it.

in a bowl beat together 300ml double cream with marscapone (small tub) and nestles milk till thick. pour over coffe finger mix and top with cocoa powder / grated chocolate.... put in the fridge and eat in 2-3 days (if it lasts that long!)

Baji!!
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2010 02:01 PM »

salam

When you use a hand held electric whisk, you can get the soft peaks.

I've been baking mad a bit recently, I used an american recipe book, and I didn't have the size cup cake cases (I use silicone bake ware), so divided the cake mixture into twelve English sized silicone cup cake cases, instead of six of the American equivalent. The cakes were the perfect size, I keep forgetting American portions are like three times the size of English ones, I'd have ended up with mutant cupcakes if I'd followed the method exactly!

I also made cheescake a while back, and it said serves 4...yeah but like 4 sumo wrestlers!!!!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2010 08:43 PM »

OOHHHHH.. YUM. I wanna try this.. Then again I am wanting everything lately..lol

Fozia.. you're baking like mad?? I am coming over! Wink Love ya!

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2010 11:04 PM »

salam

Yeah I've totally been baking like a person posessed. I'm actually pretty good at it, I make a dozen batch a go, so far I've done vanilla with vanilla buttercream icing, banana and peanut butter cupcakes, chocolate chip cupcakes, lemon and coconut, and I'm baking a batch of rainbow cupcakes for a friends little girl... I'm also making space themed cupcakes for another friends little boy who's having  a space themed party.

I bake and post pictures up on my facebook Roll Eyes, most people post exotic holiday pictures, I post pictures of baked good..... idunno

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2010 12:58 AM »

WE NEED PICTURES HERE sister fozia!!!  thanx  Grin
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2010 12:59 AM »

Hey, sister,

If you're good at baking, I have a question.  Have you ever made cooked icing?  I did once and it came out AWFUL  :'(

Someone told me there was a trick to it, but that they themselves didn't know what it was.  I was wondering if you know.

Also,  where in the world do you get mascarpone cheese?  I keep seeing it in recipes, but I can't get the cheese at my local market.  Huh?  Is there a substitute?  
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2010 08:24 AM »

salam

Coconut and Lemon cupcakes

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2010 08:32 AM »

salam

Arrrrggghhhh, help resize!!!!!

See this is why I never faff around with pictures.....<<goes off to sulk>>>

I didn't have an icing sugar piping bag at the time I did my first few batch of cupcakes, if someone can resize my picture, I'll post up the party cakes, I'm making them today inshallah!

Sr Rahma, dunno about cooked icing I don't like certain icing, I prefer butter cream icing, the above cake icing is made with icing sugar, butter, double cream and vanilla pods.

Tell me the ingredients you put into your icing and I'll tell you if I know a good method.

I tend to bake cupcakes, macaroons, biscuits, shortbread and the ocassional mutant cheesecake......

Sr Rahma where are you, Mascarpone cheese is very easy to get in England, and nope I don't know of an adequate substitute. Sorry.

Wassalaam

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2010 08:42 AM »

salam

Chocolate chip cupcakes (I only maanged to put a small bit of icing on...the rest disappeared fomr the bowl Undecided)

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Jun 18, 2010 08:44 AM »

salam

Peanut butter and banana

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #16 on: Jun 18, 2010 06:10 PM »

salam

Rainbow cupcakes (see bet you wished you never asked now don't you Tongue)

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2010 07:28 PM »

ws,

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm those look so gooooddddddddddd I can see your daughter licking the frosting lol mashaAllah what a cutie!!

good thing we're posting these pre-ramadan... i think if we were fasting till 8pm and  i saw these at 7:45 I'd be in trouble!! hungry

ps rahmaa mascarpone is sold sometimes in local grocery stores. you might find it where they put specialty ethnic items like hummus and other italian type stuff. i have seen ppl substitute it with cream cheese with a ton of sugar in it but not sure how that turns out...
rahma
Sis

rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #18 on: Jun 21, 2010 03:45 PM »

Nope.  Can't find it here, sister Jannah.  I'm in a small town "deep in the heart of Dixie".  If it ain't in Bubba's daily diet, the stores don't have it!  I've even tried some of the "deli" type stores.

I found on Wikipedia how to make it, but I'd hate to try to make it without knowing how it's supposed to turn out.  Is it thick like cream cheese?  Or a little softer like Neufchattel (sp?) cheese?  Is it lumpy like cottage cheese?  Is it sweet?  Is it tangy?

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Jun 21, 2010 04:15 PM »

salam

It's like cream cheese, has a very mild taste. Do you have Italian style delis, they may have mascarpone cheese.

I wouldn't want to make it myself, cheese making not my forte!

Wassalaam

rahma
Sis

« Reply #20 on: Jul 01, 2010 02:47 AM »

I finally found one little tub of Mascarpone in the deli section of one of our local supermarkets.  I asked if they were going to get more, and the ladies behind the counter didn't seem to know or care... Sad

Anyway, I made it.  Didn't have one of those pretty bowls to make it in, so I just made it in a 10 x 13 pyrex pan.  AND I COULD NOT GET THE CHOCOLATE TO COME OUT IN CURLS!!! Angry  So it didn't look to pretty, but everyone said it tasted great!

Since it didn't look too pretty, I didn't take a picture.  However, here is a picture of my claim to fame:  Baklava!!

rahma
Sis

« Reply #21 on: Jul 01, 2010 02:54 AM »

Sorry about the super big picture.  I don't know how to make it smaller.... Huh?
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #22 on: Jul 01, 2010 09:27 PM »

salam

Oh  I love baklava, I wish you were my sister, you could make the baklava and I would eat it..!!! It owuld be a dream fmaily!

Wassalaaam

rahma
Sis

« Reply #23 on: Jul 04, 2010 01:21 PM »

AA, sister!

It would be a dream fmaily!

I don't know about that.... It would be an overweight family!

Between your yummy looking cup cakes and my baklava, we'd really be packing on the calories!

Well,  looking at the pictures is fat free!  And here's a no calorie pepsi to go with them  bebzi
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2012 01:06 PM »

Salams,

Planning to make this again this weekend. Luckily found most of the ingredients in waitrose yayy! Found this video on youtube. She makes almost the same version except more lemony I think?? She's pretty funny. So good for a visual to see how to make it!! She seems like a convert??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQlhLBs7j0E
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: