// questions
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Appreciation: The Prophet said: 'Whoever does not thank people (for their favors) has not thanked Allah (properly), Mighty and Glorious is He!' (Musnad Ahmad, Sunan At-TirmidhĂ®)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: questions  (Read 1629 times)
Anonymous
« on: Jan 05, 2009 03:59 AM »

what is a rakat?
i hear there are also islamic personal hygiene things such as shaving every few weeks and
bathroom rule, guidelines, can you tell me about these things?
what is the reason for the exact times of praying?
Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2009 04:07 AM »

Asalam I will get back to you on this asap 2morrow whaen I have my book I don't want to make any mistakes.
Am going to take my rest now that my baby is down ttyl inshallah
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2009 08:45 AM »

hi,

it would be a good idea to get a basic book on islam which starts at the beginning and explains things. there's 'the idiot's guide to islam' which is actually a good book. and there are some others that give a very good overview and introduction to islam like one by mawdudi and afzalur rahman, and ghulam sarwar.

Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2009 10:58 PM »

Asalamualaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds.

what is a rakat?

A rakat simply means a unit of prayer.  It consists of standing, facing the Kaaba in Makkah, in a clean place, after one has performed ablutions for prayer, at the prescribed times.  One raises ones hands, says Allahu akbar, places their hands on their chest, recites some verses of the Quran or remembrances of Allah, then bows, stands up again, then prostrates on the ground towards Allah, Lord of the Universe, twice, sitting for a moment in between.  This is called one unit, or Rakat.  Depending on the time of the prayer, the preceding set of actions may by repeated twice, three times, or four times.

i hear there are also islamic personal hygiene things such as shaving every few weeks

It is good that you asked, since learning is important, and feeling too shy may prevent one from attaining the beneficial knowledge.

From the Sunnah (or way) of the Prophets, was to grow the beard (for men Smiley, trim or shave the moustache, clip the nails, remove the underarm hair and hair around the private parts.  There is not specific timing for these things, though some scholars say it should not be left beyond 40 days, and others recommend it once a week.

bathroom rule, guidelines, can you tell me about these things?

Cleaning properly after using the bathroom is also part of the great emphasis of Islam on hygiene, purity, and cleanliness, both bodily and spiritually.

The cleaning can be either with water or paper, or preferably both.  This includes cleaning after both urination and defecation.

what is the reason for the exact times of praying?

The reason for them being at those times is that the Prophet Muhammad, pbuh, taught us to pray at those times.  They are based on the motions of the Sun.

Some scholars mention that looking towards the heavens and reflecting on the power and beauty of Allah's creation is an act of worship, and perhaps there is a hidden wisdom in keeping us connected with motions of the heavenly bodies.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

May Allah make us of those who pray to him often, who are firm on His Religion, and follow His Prophet, pbuh.

May Allah protect the believers, send down on them His Succour, and humiliate the transgressors by His Power.  May He place the media and all means propogation in the hands of the Believers.

And Allah knows best.
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2009 05:32 PM »

The obligatory prayers are five ones to be performed daily, and each has a due time of performance specified by Allah so that it suits the life conditions of his servants; that is times of prayer are specified in a way that does not hinder people from managing their worldly affairs,but helps them manage such affairs. In addition, prayer is a way though which people's sins are forgiven; the Prophet (PBUH) has likened prayer to a river in which a Muslim takes a bath five times a day, so no trace of dirt would be left on him.

Those specified times of prayer are as follows:

1-The Zuhr (Noon) Prayer it's specified time begins when the sun passes it's meridian and declines westward, and this is what Is indicated in the verse in which Allah, Exalted be he, says: "Establish prayer at the decline of the sun..."(Qur'an: Al-Isra':78)

2-The 'Asr(AfterNoon) Prayer: It begins when the time of Zuhr (Noon) Prayer ends, i.e. when the shadow of an object is of the same lenght as the object itself, and continues until the sun sets according to the valid of two juristic opinions in this regard.It is an act of the Sunnah (Prophetic Tradition) to hasten performing the 'Asr Prayer at the beginning of it's due time, as it is the middle prayer whose virtues are stated by Allah,Exalted be,when he says: "Maintain with care the [obligatory] prayer and[in particular] the middle [i.e. 'Asr] prayer (Qur'an: Al-Baqarah: 238)

3-The Maghrib (Sunset) Prayer: The time Maghrib Prayer begins when the sun sets; i.e. when in completely disappears so that it can by no means be seen,neither from a plan hill nor a mountain. The time of sunset is known by coming of the darkness of night from eastward; the Prophet (PBUH) said: "When night falls from this side and day vanishes from that side and the sun sets, then the fasting person should break his fast.

4-The 'Isha' (Night) Prayer: The time specified for this prayer begins when the time of Maghrib Prayer (i.e. the time during which it is performed) ends. Thus, the time of the 'Isha' Prayer begins when the red twilight disappears and continues up half of the night. This time  is divided into two parts; an optional time and an obligatory time. optional time continues until the third of the night, and the obligatory time begins from the third of the night until the second (real) dawn.

5-The Fajr (Dawn) Prayer: The time of Fajr Prayer begins with the true dawn and lasts until sunrise, and it is desirable to hasten performing it provided that the rise of true dawn is certain.

These are the specified times of the five obligatory prayers decreed by Allah, so you should, perform them at their specified times without delay, for Allah,Exalted be he, says: "So woe to those who pray- [but] who are heedless of their prayer." (Qur'an: Al-Ma'un: 4-5)

Faatimah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: