Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 17, 2014 01:38 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: To biryani, or not to biryani.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Niece and Nephew Got Engaged!  (Read 2946 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Jan 07, 2009 01:31 PM »

Well, the topic might sound odd to some but Islamically, it is allowed and Halal!   

The bride is my brother's last born and last daughter to get married and the groom is my first cousin's son from Michigan.  This makes them second cousins.

The engagement took place in Eldoret, Kenya where my brother lives.  My niece decided to wear a Sari for her engagement and boy, was it is beautiful!  Two young Indian girls helped her with the Sari but their Mom had to come to the rescue when they couldn't do it properly.

I also drove my car for a long distance for the first time in my life (from Nairobi to Eldoret) - 310 Kilometers both ways.  We were in two groups, one in car and the other in a 11 seater Nissan.  We left Nairobi at 3:00 p.m. on Friday (because I was at work and it was a half day with COB being 2:00 p.m.) and arrived in Eldoret at 9:30 p.m.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 was a full day with organizing the event hence I was on my feet the till 1:30 a.m.  My group left Eldoret for Nairobi at 7:00 a.m. on Sunday and arrived in Nairobi at 1:05 p.m.  By then my feet were both swollen. 

We had loads of fun combining cultural folklore with Islamic laws of the Nikaah.

Here are pics of the bride and groom,the ladies who did her Sari and full one of her in the Sari.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2009 01:39 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
Mabrook !! Mashallah they make  beautiful couple - May Allah swt thier marriage a happy one Ameen.
Sr.Halima I didnt find the topic odd Smiley some of my cousins and friends are happily married to their cousins Smiley
Wasalam
tq
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2009 02:01 PM »

salam

Oh Mashallah she is beautiful.

May Allah make them a happy and successful couple.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2009 03:32 PM »

Aw congratulations! Smiley  What a long drive though!

They look so good together masha'Allaah, isn't it weird how some couples look like they are just meant to be together?  Smiley

There was an article in the Independent not too long ago- they're trying to get the message across that it's ok for cousins to marry.  Thought you might like a read: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/theres-nothing-wrong-with-cousins-getting-married-scientists-say-1210072.html

Take care*

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2009 04:15 PM »

Shukran Sisters for the congratulatory messages.

Sis tq, I knew that you wouldn't find the topic odd.  It is just that were are from different cultures here even though we share the same religion.  So, some might find it odd.

Sis salaampeaceshalom, thanks for the article.  It is has been happening in our family and all the marriages so far have been the couples' choice.  No arranged marriages!  I married my first cousin way back many centuries ago.  The choice was ours. 

As far as birth defects are concerned, those are superstitions.  I know of people who are not related in anyway who have had children with severe birth defects. 

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
timbuktu
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2009 06:54 PM »

peace be upon you

mashaAllah and mabrook.

True that it is allowed in Islam, and that is just what it is - allowed and nothing more, nor less.

However, same genetic defects in both families can result in a greater likelihood of these defects turning up in the offspring. This is a scientific fact, not a superstition.

These days, I am opposed to marriages between cousins because in most Muslim families, marriage within the same genetic pool has been the norm for centuries, and I have seen some evidence of problems turning up.

So I think there should be a little more tilt towards diversification of the genetic pool.

Ideally, a DNA test for known carriers of geentic defetcs should be carried out for prospective bride and groom, whether cousins or not.

May Allah bless this couple and families, and protect them and their offspring.
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2009 12:23 PM »

Salam alaikum

Wow, mashaAllah, she looks so nice!  Mabrook on their engagement, may Allah swt bring together and keep them happy always...

So whens the wedding?  and am I invited?  Loool, I have to make a plan to visit you, and a wedding is a great event!!!

Salam
Shahida pinkhijabisis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: