// Recipe for butter chicken/chicken makhni?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long time, you learn about the character of your friend. - Chinese Proverb
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipe for butter chicken/chicken makhni?  (Read 4839 times)
LeylaNur
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
LeylaNur has no influence :(

Remembrance of Allah is the true source of peace..

« on: Sep 07, 2008 05:18 AM »

Does anyone have a simple, easy, tried and true recipe for butter chicken/chicken makhni?

I made it for my husband the other night, and since he wasn't here to see me make it, for some reason he thought it came out of a bottle!  Shocked I don't know whether to take this as a compliment or an insult (he does generally like bottled sauces, but it's weird he'd think home cooked was!)

By the way, my husband is Turkish and doesn't know a makhni from a biryani from a jalfrezi from a vindaloo! I only made him the chicken makhni since it was a mild dish. (spicy dishes irritate his stomach) The only other Desi dishes I'd try for him would be a korma or biryani. (he's partial to the mughal style dishes as they seem to be lighter on the spice and more familiar to his palate)

So.. Any recipes he might like would be greatly appreciated!

One more thing.. I don't know how "authentic" they are (I also doubt "butter chicken" is very authentic - like his beloved chicken tikka masala!), but when I was living in U.K. nearly every Desi restaurant had something called "onion bhaji".. I've never seen them in the U.S! I'm guessing they are just potato pancakes minus the potato and plus onion?  Huh? Not sure which spices are used though and if they use egg or not. I also loved the green (cilantro?) and brown (tamarind?) chutneys..

So, can anyone tell I have a major craving right now?  Roll Eyes

I try to remember to count my blessings each day because I have many:

To be thankful for my health, and that of my loved ones, the presence of my husband and the continuation of our marriage, that we can pay our bills and have food on the table..

So many blessings but often, so little thanks!
Princess1983
Sis

Princess1983 has no influence :(

Make duaa for those less fortunate than us.

« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2008 01:37 PM »

Salam sister,

the onion bhaji is literally a pakora minus the other veggies such as the spuds. It is indeed a british invention-you would never find them in India or Pakistan. The recipe is gram flower (chickpea flower) aka basan, onions and spices. All mixed together with water and fried. Pakoras can be made with all sorts of veggies. I love cauliflower ones-I think they remind me of the fritters I ate on holiday in Barcelona.

I love chutneys too  flowersis Do you want a recipe for them too?

I've never made Chicken Makhani so cannot recommend a recipe however if noone else passes you a recipe I can give you the website address to where I get my recipes from if that's any good?

Princess

Our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) wasn't just sent to guide us Muslims, he is a unique, true example to EVERYONE.
This life is only a test-passing will equal Jannah, Inshallah!
Oh Muslim brothers and sisters-consider sponsoring an Orphan if Allah has blessed you with the finances to do so-Ameen.
LeylaNur
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2008 08:09 PM »

Any recipes would be appreciated, keeping in mind that my husband can't handle "hot" spice.. Even some chicken enchiladas I made with MINIMAL green chiles caused him to feel stomach pain. I, on the other hand, have the stomach of a goat when it comes to spices.  Roll Eyes

Chutneys would be great!  Grin

There's a 'Rice & Spice' market in the city where I can get special ingredients like chickpea flour. I, too, love the cauliflower pakora.. That also reminds me of another one of my favorites.. It's a vegetable kofte. I think it's made with chickpeas and it's served in a tomato sauce reminiscent of the ever popular 'tikka masala' sauce. LOL.

I'm guessing that 'creamy red sauce' is just tomato sauce, cream and some kind of spice mix to give it a kick? Garam masala was listed as one of the ingredients on the makhni recipe. (which I only followed loosely as I didn't have any coriander seeds left)

To be thankful for my health, and that of my loved ones, the presence of my husband and the continuation of our marriage, that we can pay our bills and have food on the table..

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2008 04:12 AM »

salam

If you make onion bhaji/pakoras do not forget the pinch of baking soda otherwise they won't fry terribly well (you can get them in India, chicken tikka masala you cannot find in India).

This is my favourite chutney;

Tomato chutney;

Tomatoes x 2
red chilli powder 1/2 teaspoon (adjust according to taste)
2 garlic cloves sliced
salt
tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
bunch of fresh green coriander
5 tbsp Vinegar (adjust according to taste)

Drop tomatoes in boiling water for a minute, remove from heat and run under cold water tap, remove skin.

Place tomtatoes in a blender along with all the other ingredients and blend till smooth, decant and chill.

I eat it by itself sometimes I love it that much, adjust the amount of chillie, garlic and vinegar you put in till you acheive the taste suitable for you.

It never fails to impress when I make it for guests!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
LeylaNur
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2008 08:24 AM »

Mmm.. I LOVE fresh coriander (cilantro!).. Some people think it tastes like soap, but mixed with tomatoes, it tastes SO fresh! I want to try this! Probably on Tuesday night when I cook for the hubby since he breaks his fast at work due to evening hours every day except Sun and Tue.

maryamarub
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
maryamarub has no influence :(

VERILY ALLAH IS WITH THOSE WHO ARE PATIENT

« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2008 11:27 AM »

ASA, here is one sis

Butter Chicken

the very famous Indian butter and chicken dish with silky tomato gravy
  Main Ingredient: Chicken

100   grams   butter
4   piece   cashewnuts
1   springs   coriander leaves
1   tbsp   coriander pdr
1/2   tsp   Crushed fenugreek leaves
1/2   tsp   cumin seeds
100   ml   Fresh cream
1   tsp   Ginger garlic paste
2   slice   green chillies
2   tbsp   oil
1   number   onion
500   grams   Raw chicken slices
1   tsp   Red chilli powder
1   tsp   Red chilli powder
1   to taste   Salt
1/2   tsp   Sugar

grams   Tomato
   0   tomato ketchup ( optional )

cut chicken into thin slices and apply ginger garlic paste ,salt ,chillipdr and shallow fry in oil and set aside
 to the leftover oil add ,cumin,onion,ginger garlic paste , add onion ,tomatoes, cashewand other spices and cook covered with little water till everything is mashed up
put it in a blender and add to hot melted butter and cook on a medium flame season ,color and add chicken and cook for few more minutes
tomato ketchup is optional and usually use in 2 min butter chicken
ShaamAriturk
Sis

ShaamAriturk has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2008 05:13 PM »

salaam

thank you for the butter chicken recipe.  My husband is Turkish too.  I try to get him used to desi food, but it is so hard.  He cann't take any spice at all, forget about chillies.  I often have to give up many dishes that I love :-(  I love Turkish foods though.  So, I try to cook turkish dishes.  But, I miss my home food :-(   I often try to blend the two kitchen (Turkish and Desi) and come up with something in between  madinaflag  They often come out good...still it will be better to get some idea from my expert sisters here.  InshAllah. 

Btw, Leylanur, siz turkmusunuz?  nerede oturiyorsunuz? NYda mi? Ben turk deiyil...ama eshim turk :-)

ma slaama
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2008 01:26 AM »

As salaamu alaikum

As the weather cools I see me spending more time indoors and in the kitchen.  Keep the recipes coming; I love to cook (sssshhhhh - tell anyone and I might deny it) and my children (especially my son) loves to eat Smiley

Fa'izah
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2009 03:02 PM »

As-salaamu alaykum,
I've always just followed the Shaan masala recipe for Butter Chicken.
Smiley sofia

[ps. come to think of it, i've only ever had butter chicken at a restaurant/catered/someone made it bc they liked the restaurant version, like me. My mother has never made butter chicken, so it may not be an authentic dish. But it tastes good).

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
maryamarub
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
maryamarub has no influence :(

VERILY ALLAH IS WITH THOSE WHO ARE PATIENT

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2009 11:28 AM »

salam,

Chicken risotto
  Main Ingredient: Chicken

6   tbsp   butter
1   clove   garlic, minced
1   tsp   basil
1   cup   cheddar cheese
1   lbs   chicken breasts,
3   cup   chicken broth
3   number   green onions
1/4   lbs   mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2   cup   rice
       In large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add chicken and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until pieces are browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet. Add remaining butter, rice and garlic to skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until rice is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and green onion. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, about 2 minutes.
Stir in chicken broth and basil. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Gently stir in chicken. Continue simmering until chicken is heated through and rice is tender, about 5 minutes. Top with cheese and serve immediately. Makes about 6 servings

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: