// Prince Harry condemned over "Paki" remark
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Harry condemned over "Paki" remark  (Read 2349 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jan 12, 2009 05:32 AM »

He's like the wildchild of princes... Sad

================================

LONDON (Reuters) - Politicians and religious groups on Sunday condemned Prince Harry for calling an Asian army colleague a "Paki" in video footage published by a tabloid newspaper on its website.

The 24-year-old prince, no stranger to controversy, was forced to apologise, saying there was no racist malice intended by the comments made in a 2006 video which was procured by the top-selling News of the World tabloid.

Conservative Party leader David Cameron said the comments were a "completely unacceptable thing to say and it is right that he has apologised."

"I think that it is important in the great institutions, whether it is the army or whether it is political parties, we have had to root out (such) attitudes," he told BBC television.

Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg echoed Cameron's remarks, but said a line should be drawn under the incident.

"He shouldn't have used those words, it will have caused considerable offence and has obviously caused him a considerable amount of embarrassment," Clegg told Sky television.

The word "Paki" is derogatory slang for an immigrant or descendant of an immigrant from Pakistan.

Downing Street declined to comment when contacted by Reuters, but Innovation Secretary John Denham told Sky television such language was no longer acceptable.

"This sort of language can be seen as offensive, is offensive, is gradually going out of use in our society, and he's apologised for it," he said.

The recording was made a year after Harry was pilloried for wearing a Nazi uniform at a costume party, a gaffe that sparked an international outcry.

In some of the footage, Harry is behind the camera and can he heard making a mock commentary.

"Anyone else here ... ah, our little Paki friend ... Ahmed," Harry says as he zooms onto the face of an Asian officer cadet while waiting at an airport to fly to Cyprus.

Harry was also shown telling another officer cadet wearing a camouflage veil during a night manoeuvre in Cyprus, "You look like a raghead" -- an offensive term for an Arab.

Mohammed Shafiq, director of the Ramadhan Foundation, said the prince's remarks were racist.

"I am deeply shocked and saddened at Prince Harry's racism which upsets and offends many British Asians. The use of this sort of racism has no justification and I am saddened by those that are advocating using this term is not racist," he said.

But a spokesman for Harry said the prince understood how offensive his language towards his comrade was.

"However, on this occasion three years ago, Prince Harry used the term without any malice and as a nickname about a highly popular member of his platoon," the spokesman said.

The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB), an umbrella group for British Muslim organisations, said Harry's language was unacceptable and had harmed the image of the army, which has been trying to recruit more widely from minorities.

But MCB spokesman Inayat Bunglawala said Harry had done the right thing by apologising.

"In the big scheme of things, there are more important issues that we should be discussing, not least the carnage in Gaza," he said.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009 09:41 AM »

salam

No actually he's an idiot and thats about the short and long of it!

As a person he is apparently nice enough.

However he like his grandfather, has no sense of propriety, which comes from leading a closetted, over priviliged life thro no personal effort on his own part.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
timbuktu
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2009 06:49 PM »

peace be upon you

I am from Pakistan, and do not see why "Paki" should be a slur.

Pak means pure. Paki means purity. Used as a shorthand for Pakistani, it means someone who is pure. I would be flattered to be called a Paki, unless the speaker was going "Paki-bashing". Then I would be concerned.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2009 10:10 PM »

wsalam,

While literally the word "paki" has no negative connotations, and also in other countries like in the US there aren't any connotations behind it. (I used to say she's a paki..etc he's a paki ie meaning from pakistan all the time.) But in the UK it is apparently used as a derogatory term...somewhat akin to "nigger" or "towelhead" or whatever else term ppl come up with.
timbuktu
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2009 05:23 AM »

peace be upon you

A long time ago, much before the creation of India and Pakistan as indpendent states, when the Christian missionaries were active in the streets of major towns of India, a missionary was seen preaching at a junction of streets in Delhi. The thugs set street urchins upon him and they started calling him "Lulu hai bay, Lulu", meaning the guy is bonkers (mad). They did not stop at this but pushed him so he fell on the ground.

A respectable learned Muslim notable saw this scene and was upset, so he told the street urchins off that they should show respect to other human beings, particularly their elders.

The padre got up, and told the notable, in very clear Urdu, not to be harsh with the boys, for maybe they are calling him by a good name: "Lulu kay maanay motee bhee tau hotay hein", meaning "Lulu also means pearl".

The urchins were not very impressed with the notable's words, but at this they became ashamed and expressed their apologies to the padre.

So, I would thank Prince Harry that he regards me as pure.

Whenever I have used this approach in my life, of avoiding confrontation, and instead turning an abuse as an expression of appreciation, the tables have been turned.

Very rarely does one need to express that one is hurt, or even feel a hurt.

a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2009 09:52 PM »

I agree with some of what you said br.timbuktu, but doesn't turning the other cheek encourage use of such words. It's the intentions that count, and those using words such as Paki are using it in a derogatory manner, regardless of what the word literally means. I don't think Prince Harry meant it in a derogatory way so we shouldn't really make a big hoo-ha about it but if say a member of the BNP used it, they are obviously being offensive and should be condemned.

Wassalam,
a_desert_rose
timbuktu
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2009 03:38 PM »

peace be upon you

precisely. If one takes offence at every offensive word or action, people will stop being sensitive to that person.

There are so many problems, and we should not waste our energies on little things.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2009 10:46 PM »

wsalaam,

I think it was handled very well in the UK media. The remark was publicized, groups found it offensive and protested. The media covered both sides. The one that was offensive apologized and everyone is now aware that this is not an acceptable thing to do.

lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2009 04:33 AM »

peace be upon you

precisely. If one takes offence at every offensive word or action, people will stop being sensitive to that person.

There are so many problems, and we should not waste our energies on little things.

on just about the first day i got to england i was called a paki by some old guy yelling at me get off the sidewalk with my bike.

maybe its just the english way of saying cheerio!

but it sure didn't sound nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: