Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Does money upset the hearts of learned men? He answered, "men whose hearts are changed by money are not learned" - abu Hamid al Ghazali
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What can we do for Gaza?  (Read 7650 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jan 15, 2009 10:24 AM »

salaam

Recently some members contacted us about this topic. JazahumAllahu khairan. We would like to encourage each other on things we can do. I would like that if we could each personally write something we are trying to do, not out of riya' but out of personal sincerity and encouragement to each other. (If you absolute must you can always post Anonymously.) Things like 'I've made dua today, I've read certain such-and-such Surah, I've attended a protest, donated some money, I've boycotted such-and-such'. We can also write that we wish a partner or a 'matching person' for doing something like reading the last juzz, or looking for 10 ppl to read it or something. I hope this encourages us more in our ibadah, prayers, sadaqah, reading of quran and dua.

I'll go first. Today, I decided to avoid the Gap and Starbucks and a few other stores which apparently monetarily support Israel. I also tried to make sincere istighfar for my sins that have in the scheme of things contributed to the mess we are in and made dua that Allah lift the injustices that are oppressing us and protect us each, our families and as an ummah from evil and evil people.

=======================

I also read this timely article posted on Sh. Suhaib's blog by sister UmmEsa and thought I would share it:

Your Role in Gaza

How many of us have seen horrific images from Gaza? Images of dead children, bloodied faces, lost limbs?

How many of us wish we could be there to physically help them? Wish we were able, like the Companions were able at Badr, to overcome a bigger, more equipped army, like the Companions were able to overcome the disbelieving army of the Quraysh?

Look at the Companions of Rasulilah sal Allahu ‘alayhi wa sallama at Badr. SubhanAllah- they put in the physical effort, and us too, we now are putting in physical effort, whether it be through protests, calling congressmen, donating, or actually helping on the ground in Gaza. But what is the one thing which differentiates us and them? What is the biggest difference between us and the Companions?

The Companions radi Allahu anhum knew Who gives Success and they strove for success from the Source, and so their success was consistent, continual, just, and made an impact.

SubhanAllah, look at the difference between us and them- that there are hundreds of children who have been massacred, thousands of innocent civilians who are disabled for life, whose skins are burned, whose eyes have melted, and yet how many of us have not taken this opportunity to make this horrendous war a means of fixing our own sorry selves?

How many of us are still not praying all of our salawat on time, and our brothers and sisters are suffering beyond comprehension? How many of us, particularly our brothers, are not praying fajr in the masjid? This does matter; our individual relationship with Allah DOES make an ummah impact. And that’s why the Companions were so successful- they put in the effort with Allah, and Allah gave them victory.

How many times do we need to be on the defensive? From Iraq to Sudan, Afghanistan to Gujraat, we still have so many people who need help. We seem to get excited, make an effort for about two weeks, and then get caught up living our own lives until the next storm hits, and then start the process over.

This is our opportunity to seriously change ourselves, to come closer to Allah with the intention of being a means of helping the ummah through this change, as a response to the crisis in Gaza, but also as an offensive. The One Who gave victory at Badr can give us victory now!

Are you ready to physically help the people of Gaza? Here’s how: Get out a piece of paper and a pen, or open up a word doc, and fill out the following for yourself:

1- One thing I will increase to improve my relationship with Allah

(In relation to increase of worship, whether it be to perfect the mandatory actions or do something maybe I’ve not yet started or neglected for some time which is extra, like qiyamulayl, extra fasting, fajr in the masjid, salatulal Duha, the morning/evening athkaar, saying astaghforillah a hundred times a day, always being in a state of wudu, and more. Check out makedua.com.)

2- One thing I will leave to improve my relationship with Allah

(Perhaps in these days especially, we can replace the music with the Qur’an, replace movies with going out with the sisters/brothers with the intention to build sister/brotherhood to feel a stronger connection with the ummah, replace complaining with saying, “Alhamdullilah” regardless of the situation)

3- How I will guard my relationship with the Qur’an

ABSOLUTE MUST. How many of us have been trying to do #1 and #2 above but have not felt any sweetness in our relationship with the Creator? It’s because we continually deprive our hearts from the oxygen it needs to survive- The Qur’an. This isn’t just the cherry on top; this is breakfast, lunch, dinner and that huge chocolate fudge sunday - just replace all those calories with a ton of ajr.

This is prime time to make an intention to start making a consistent relationship with the Book of Allah, reading it in Arabic if we can, and if we cannot understand Allah’s Words to us, in addition to reading in Arabic, regardless of how slow we may be at first, we should make an effort to read the translation as well.

SubhanAllah, the Companions used to cry if they came across something of the Qur’an that they did not understand. It’s like waiting for weeks on end to get an email from someone you love greatly, and when it finally comes and you’re so excited, you find that you cannot understand something in it. Wouldn’t you seek a translator if it was in a different language? Wouldn’t you try to contact the person and ask them to explain what they meant? Wouldn’t you make an effort, if this person was someone you truly loved, to try and understand their words to you? So what about Allah ‘Azza wa Jall? What about the Qur’an? What about all those words just for you?

At the least, as a starting point, if we set aside only 15 minutes a day - set an alarm clock even where those 15 minutes are HANDS OFF YOU AND QUR’AN TIME, no phone, no net, nothing but you and Qur’an- insha’Allah we will taste a sweetness with Allah we have missed for too long.

And if we ALL do this, imagine insha’Allah how much the ummah will benefit from so many people revamping their relationship with Allah, the One for Whom it is so easy to give success to whomever He wishes. And you know why? Because we learn from the Prophet salAllahu alayhi wa sallama that for the one who wants the dunya, on this person is the Qur’an, and for the one who wants the akhira, on this person is the Qur’an, and the one who wants both, then on this person is the Qur’an. So basically, anything we want, and we all want success for this ummah- we need to go back to the Qur’an.

If we have 100 Companions of the Qur’an walking around the streets, sitting in class, working- wherever, and those Companions are making duaa for the ummah, and these people making duaa are beloved to Allah and so Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala answers their duaa, then of course we’ll insha’Allah see a great improvement in our situation as an ummah. Multiply that by thousands- and we pray millions more people- we would pray to never gain see something horrendous like what we are witnessing now.

———

Our Deeds Matter

During the new Hijri year, a few days after the war on Gaza began, I walked past an apartment building (currently in a Muslim-populated country), and there was crazy music blasting and men and women getting down…I was on my way to a nearby corner store, and I said to the store keeper, it’s unfortunate that these people (clearly Muslims) are partying when there is a great killing going on. And he explained that they’re celebrating the new Hijri year.

All I could think of is Ya Allah, protect us. This party is a supposed celebration of the Companions leaving their homes and families in Makkah to save their deen, and these people are getting jiggy with it haram style when our children are being massacred only hours away. Are you kidding me? How do we not see that our actions, and especially lack thereof, that our complete state of ghaflah (heedlessness) is screaming in big, bold letters: WE DO NOT DESERVE VICTORY! Auothobillah, may Allah protect us! Allahuma, forgive us! And do not cause my lack of consciousness to be a cause for the downfall of this ummah!

This is our opportunity to save human lives. With the number of casualties nearing 1000, and those wounded thousands more, we really cannot sit back and chillax any more, hoping things will somehow get better. Allah is testing us, perhaps with a test even greater than those in Gaza. Are we going to pass? Are we really aware of the magnitude of what we’re witnessing? What is happening in our very own lifetimes? Look: we can really help, and it’s through improving ourselves, through changing our speech full of backbiting and gossip to shukr (gratitude) and smiling in the faces of others, through changing our 3 minute salatul Dhur to one with a complete sujood, with full rest between every change of position. It’s through us caring about our relationship with Allah and actually putting in an effort to know Him, ‘Azza wa Jall.

Let’s make an effort to change ourselves N O W, and ask Allah to bless this effort and accept it as a means of helping the people of Gaza, and as a means of strengthening the ummah.

You game? If so, help us all feel encouraged to change ourselves: shout out an ALLAH AKBAR in the comment section and suggest a few things we can leave [i.e. buying a new videogame] and replace with something better [donating that money to Gaza].

Finally, check out the Gaza Checklist (doc | pdf) for other ideas of how you can physically help, from donating to calling your congressperson.

Ummah, insha’Allah we can do this! Allah is blessing us BIG TIME! That we are still alive, being reminded to CHANGE NOW before it’s too late! Alhamdullilah to the One Who guides His slaves to repentance before they really feel the weight of their sins on the Day of Judgment, when it’s too late to change.

May Allah give us tawfeeq and use us for His Sake, and may He give the people of Gaza and oppressed everywhere strength and the ability to overcome those who oppress them.

Allahuma! As You supported the Muslims at Badr with your Angels, as you gave victory to the Muslims at Badr, support the people of Gaza with Angels from You! Allahuma, gives this ummah victory!

lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2009 05:17 PM »

assalamualaikum

at the expense of sounding mean:

i wish muslims would replicate even 1% of their emotional reaction over murdered palestinians when muslims or other peoples in other parts of the world are slaughtered.

where is the outcry about darfur?  did any muslims give a damn about the congo?

and most interestingly, muslims in pakistan still don't give the slightest damn or even care that their country tried to annihilate the hindu population in bangladesh and pillaged and raped and killed over a million muslims in bangladesh.

call me bitter or cynical.  but all this public outcry over palestine seems fake too me.

if muslims really cared about other muslims they would care about the poor and oppressed everywhere, muslim and nonmuslim.

they don't however.  they just get excited when fair skinned babies with muslim names die on television.

nothing more, and nothing less....

hajra
الَسَـــــــلاَمُ عَلَيــْــكُم وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكـَـاتُه
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
hajra has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2009 05:59 PM »

Dua for Gaza by Sheikh Rashid Mishary

http://www.youtube.com/v/IdKULGBYNU4&hl=en&fs=1

Narrated AbuHurayrah:
The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) used to say: "O Allah, I seek refuge in Thee from four things: Knowledge which does not profit, a heart which is not submissive, a soul which has an insatiable appetite, and a supplication which is not heard."
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2009 07:47 PM »

salam

I'm helping my daughters school to raise moeny for Gaza, my little girl is doing a sponsored readathon.

For the record Lucid, I do give a damn, and I'm sure loads of us give a damn. How do you know what we as individuals do, and what we care about, other than what we post on here? I regularly sponsor non muslim charities, I give charity to non-muslims, and to non white charities, basically to people who need it.

The point of the matter is the people of Gaza are in need, our brothers and sisters are being cold heartedly massacred by the thieves who took their lands from them in the first place. And apparently the new president of the united states anounced, well if someone was firing rockets at my house where my girls were sleeping I would defend myself too. He really should have said, if I took someone into my house and out of compassion and charity, and they then stole my belongings raped my wife and children and threw us out of our home on to the streets in the hopes we'd die then I would...... (I'd like to hear what he would do then).

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2009 10:15 PM »

Asalamaualikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

This is a really important topic, thank you Jannah for posting it, and sending out the emails, inshaAllah you will get reward for it.

The Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, said to the Sahabah, during one of the expeditions, what means: Do you know that there are people with us right now, but you do not see them.  They said, how is that?  He said, their bodies are in Madina, they were prevented from coming with us do to difficulites, but they are with us.

Brother Lucid, although you may not realize it, the scholars state:  The situation that is happening is not one of land and borders, it is one of beliefs and existence.  It is an existential struggle, between truth and falsehood.  It takes on many forms, such as propoganda, media, and sometimes other forms of struggle.  The Quran describes those who always break their covenants and killed the Prophets.  These are people who tried to kill Jesus, the son of Mary, may peace be upon them both.

As righteous Muslims, our loyalty should be to Allah alone.  Some of the scholars have mentioned, if anything can come out of this tragedy, it is that the web of lies have been exposed, and Muslims are coming back to their religion, and their loyalties are coming back to Allah.

As for what we can do for Gaza, I have a humble suggestion.  Let us try to educate others about the truth.

For example:

1.) While some Muslims may employ controversial means of defending themselves, we have to ask, have we exhausted or even fulfilled our duty of combatting the enemy through the media?

For example, when Israel bombed the UN school in Gaza, they immediately sent out a press release claiming there were militants hiding in the school. When they realized that what they had done constituted a war crime, they changed the story, and said militants had fired on them, then took refuge in the school.

This sly maneauver worked for them in two ways: it protected them, somewhat, from international condemnation, and secondly, and more importantly, it could provide cover for them in International Courts, since firing in “self-defense” is considered legal according to Geneva Conventions.

Now, anyone with a little reflection could realize that it is impossible for militants to hide among school children, and secondly, that it is hardly plausable that men with light arms threatened a tank at a distance of several kilometers.

Why don’t we expose such lies in the media?

2.) International law forbids attacking civilians, so Israel says it is attacking terrorists using civilians as human shields. If we examine this claim, then we ask: Why does Israel bomb ambulances? (They also claim the exploding oxygen tanks in the ambulances are proof they are carrying missiles). Why do they block international media from entering Gaza? Why do they cut off humanitarian relief supplies, electricity, and water? Why do they bomb hospitals? Why do they use chemical weapons in densely populated areas? Why do they blow up a buildings filled with women and children under the pretext that there is a militant inside? These questions need to be brought to light in the media, because their claim that they are fighting terrorism convinces, or at least confuses many naive people.

3.) In summary, the scholars say we need to hold on to our Prophetic Character, which is our strongest weapon, avoid forbidden means of self-defense, such as suicide and harming non-combatants, and refocuse our intellectual abilities on thinking of new ways to combat in the media, which is the most important battleground. We have a sly enemy, so let us think of ways to outsmart them, and inshaAllah Allah is with us always.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2009 06:08 AM »

walaikum salam lucid,

many muslims DO CARE when atrocities occur across the world in whatever country. most recently i'm not sure why you're forgetting various muslim organizations raising money and having talks for Darfur. and remember in the past after the Rwandan genocide because of the muslim help there and dawah there was an article a few years ago in the BBC about many of the victims there becoming muslim. and all the fundraisers for kashmir, pakistan earthquake, the tsunami.

it is extremely bitter and perhaps wrong to think that we shouldn't care and do nothing for palestine because we feel other injustices have occurred on the earth and "no one did anything then".

why not be thankful this issue has touched a lot of peoples hearts (as it should touch anyone's heart) and that people are trying to DO something instead of being emotional.

if you don't wish to do anything out of cynicism and bitterness then don't, but i wouldn't try to judge what is in people's hearts who sincerely would like to something.

i know you are a sincere person yourself and having known you all these years, let me just say that this type of attitude is not a healthy one for anyone. when you carry such bitterness and grudge against other muslims it actually does nothing to them but immobilizes yourself in one place, where you're always focusing on the outer and not the inner. you can never change yourself or effect change in others. yes people are stupid, yes there are injustices everywhere, yes they're racist, yes they're selective, yes, they are human. let's accept that and move on.

Anas ibn Malik said, "The Messenger of Allah said to me, 'My son, if you can be without any grudge in your heart against anyone in the morning and evening, be like that.' Then he added, 'My son, that is part of my Sunna. Whoever gives life to my sunna has loved me and whoever loves me is with me in the Garden.'" [at-Tirmidhi]

let me end with a scene from one of my favorite old shows ER Smiley where they had one of the doctors go overseas to the congo for relief work where he falls in love with a beautiful african UN AIDS worker. Noah Wiley's character out of his own money (he comes from an aristocratic family) pays for the medicine for a child with AIDs. She learns of this and runs outside after him in the rain:

She: Why pay for one child, one?? (She has been trying for years to lobby gov't for clinics or something) We could save hundreds! Hundreds!

He: If not one, then none. If not hundreds, then one.

(something like that) anyway i always remember that because i think every muslim should be like that. we can't save the world. we can't change the world. we can only do what is in each of our capacities to do. and inshaAllah that is enough and Allah accepts that.

lucid
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2009 06:26 AM »

salam

I'm helping my daughters school to raise moeny for Gaza, my little girl is doing a sponsored readathon.

For the record Lucid, I do give a damn, and I'm sure loads of us give a damn. How do you know what we as individuals do, and what we care about, other than what we post on here? I regularly sponsor non muslim charities, I give charity to non-muslims, and to non white charities, basically to people who need it.

sorry to to make you upset sister. but did your daughter or you do anything like that when other peoples or other muslims were being slaughtered.  my point was that because people only get excited about palestine, it shows they really don't care/give a damn etc. 

if people gave a damn then they would care about everybody's else's sufferings as well.  you are pakistani...have you ever spoken against the mass carnage that pakistan inflicted on its poor stepbrother in 1971?

does it not bother you that the only reason my mother is alive and all of her children are alive (had even the chance to be born, etc)  is because my grandfather was urdu speaking and that the pakistani soldiers who came to my grandfather's house thought my mother was pakistani because of her height and coloring and my grandfather's urdu tongue? 

i don't mean to attack you (really i don't). but pakistanis complaining about palestinian suffering is about the most hypocritical thing i can think of.

Brother Lucid, although you may not realize it, the scholars state:  The situation that is happening is not one of land and borders, it is one of beliefs and existence.  It is an existential struggle, between truth and falsehood.  It takes on many forms, such as propoganda, media, and sometimes other forms of struggle.  The Quran describes those who always break their covenants and killed the Prophets.  These are people who tried to kill Jesus, the son of Mary, may peace be upon them both.

Uncle Abdurrahman, you always mention the "scholars state."  You really should be more honest with us -- by scholars, you mean just the subset that you like, such as the salafi ones. 

also, your attitude shows that you are very much part of the problem of why palestine is such a tragedy.  for you the jews are the cursed people -- descendents of pigs and monkeys.  for you they are the prophet killers, the worst of creation -- the daaleen.

yes, some of their ancestors opposed the prophet and isa.  but they did not.  sin is not inherited in islam. and muslims do almost equally bad things on a daily basis.  and did you forget that ali, hasan and hussein -- the prophet's closest kin were killed by muslims?  did you forget that the first four caliphs were assasinated? and who were they assasinated by?

when you dehumanize the jews, blame them for the faults of their ancestors 2000 years ago, you bring this conflict to the lowest possible level.  you hate them, and if they didn't hate you before, they surely do now.  and because they have the bigger guns they will kill all of you and your friends and kin.

bravo to the jewhaters of the ummah -- always doing their best to get the rest of us killed.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2009 06:32 AM »

Salaams,

Interestingly I came across this excerpt, Noam Chomsky pointed out in his book that the Palestinians lose more through peace than war.

Native Americans were destroyed through these negotiations and false peace treaties. Instead, they should have all banded together and fought relentlessly as one.

It doesn't translate into Hamas firing rockets carelessly on israeli civilians, but rather Muslim groups joining hands and target the israeli army.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2009 06:41 AM »

you are pakistani...have you ever spoken against the mass carnage that pakistan inflicted on its poor stepbrother in 1971?

does it not bother you that the only reason my mother is alive and all of her children are alive (had even the chance to be born, etc)  is because my grandfather was urdu speaking and that the pakistani soldiers who came to my grandfather's house thought my mother was pakistani because of her height and coloring and my grandfather's urdu tongue? 

She is not a pakistani. I'm one though, and have lived here all my life. Everyone I know and their next door neighbors condemn what Pakistani army did to our Bengali brothers and sisters. Our govt of that time and army is to be blamed.

An uncle from my neigborhood and his family getting butchered (just because he was in army) by some bengalis during those times is another story though. There are some rogue elements everywhere.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2009 08:42 AM »

when you dehumanize the jews, blame them for the faults of their ancestors 2000 years ago, you bring this conflict to the lowest possible level.  you hate them, and if they didn't hate you before, they surely do now.  .

I just wanted to say bro Lucid that a lot of people respect you on the board, including me.  And to an extent, I would say that you have a point, that some conflicts register more with some Muslims than other conflicts.  And I guess if your family has directly been affected then it becomes a slightly different matter.  However, I think your above quote can also be applied to you in this case too bro, why hold something against Muslims as a whole that which some others were involved in? Some people on this board may not even have been around at the time that atrocity occured, so why make them feel bad for something that they had nothing to do with?  I'm not entirely sure what you want, a public apology from Pakistanis for what happened, or a public apology from all Muslims?

You also mentioned the killings of the Companions and the Prophet's family.  As a result there are some who hate other Muslims for this.  Do you really want to be one of those that holds hostility towards his Muslim brethern for the actions of some?

I hope that Allaah ta^ala cools the flames of injustice that seem to be raging in your heart, and may He continue to Protect you and your family, ameen.

Take care.

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2009 09:34 AM »

salam

Yes Lucid actually my girls did a sponsored toddle for Darfur, I helped raise money, my little girls school did sponsored coffee mornings. The school is very active in charity work and tries to instill a love of giving and being kind to others in the children.

I find it hugely insulting when I am told I'm not allowed to feel empathy, sympathy, sorrow for my own. Because like I don't do it for non-muslims, I generally have two words for people who tell me that.

I am allowed, and expected to feel the pain of my brothers and sisters in Islam, I will try my hardest to alleviate their pain the best way I can.

I get my girls to pray for the people of Gaza every night, for the little babies, for the mummies and the daddies, and the big brothers and sisters, and the grandmas and grandpas, and the uncles and the aunties.

Do not tell me I am wrong for feeling pain and sorrow and helplessness for my brothers and sisters in Gaza, and Afghanistan and Iraq, I don't care if it's only their names that are Muslim, that makes them mine.

I used to raise money for Ethiopia, and Africa, we did sponsored activities for the feed the world campaign.

I am furious that apparently, Muslims shouldn't want to help eachother more because there are others in the same situation, because we aren't sorry enough of 9/11 because the Jews suffered the holocaust, well newsflash, I had nothing to do with the latter two and frankly not many Muslims had much to do with holocaust unless it was to save the Jews and offer them sanctuary, only to have their hands bitten off and their lands stolen from them.

I also save whales in my spare time, always buy, dolphin friendly tuna, and fairtrade or local to help out the local farmers, and am working up towards saving the banana!

By the way I am not Pakistani! Never have been, not even before partition!

Wassalaam,

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
lucid
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2009 11:44 AM »

An uncle from my neigborhood and his family getting butchered (just because he was in army) by some bengalis during those times is another story though. There are some rogue elements everywhere.

granted...but that is not a fair retort.  the war was as asymmetric as you can imagine.  there were many pakistanis who got hurt/killed, but the number is dwarfed by the number of bengalis who were killed. and the pakistanis ruled the place since partition.

Do not tell me I am wrong for feeling pain and sorrow and helplessness for my brothers and sisters in Gaza, and Afghanistan and Iraq, I don't care if it's only their names that are Muslim, that makes them mine.

sister, i didn't tell you that you're wrong about anything.  you're really, like totally cool and you're really articulate.  i totally admire you and your family.  i was just trying to make a general point (which has nothing to do with individual cases like yourself).

I'm not entirely sure what you want, a public apology from Pakistanis for what happened, or a public apology from all Muslims?

a public apology (the most trivial thing you can imagine) by the pakistani government would be most appreciated. and the ridiculous claim that only 28,000 people died and prosecution of the those guilty of war crimes would also be most kindly appreciated.  but none of this will ever happen, let alone a token apology.  the pakistani government and military are simply too proud to ever do this.

I hope that Allaah ta^ala cools the flames of injustice that seem to be raging in your heart, and may He continue to Protect you and your family, ameen.

actually sister, this is a bit funny.  i am about the furthest from an angry bitter person that you can imagine.  there was a reason why i was hyper in another life and mr bean as well...

the only thing is i get annoyed at the selective attention of muslims.  i get annoyed when i go to friday prayer and the imam prays for the muslims who are being oppressed in foreign lands but never mentions the 50% of the muslim population, a significant proportion of which, are abused at home on a daily basis.  i get annoyed when people forget other peoples who are suffering, muslim and nonmuslims.  and i do get annoyed at the attitude of pakistanis who refuse to believe that dire evil happened at their hands in bangladesh, or that it is something controversial, or a tit-for-tat type thing.  i used to be a innocent, trusting type person and once gave a khutba in cambridge where i briefly mentioned a long litany of abuses by muslims of muslims.  i was shocked that pakistanis later complained about me saying my 5 second mention of the massacre of so many muslims (most say 3 million) in bangladesh was "controversial."  and i also get annoyed when people go after the jews and blame them for everything from the financial crisis to every injustice in the muslim world.  they are a people of only 10 million.  yet they have given the world so much in terms of knowledge, literature and culture (33% of the Nobel Prizes were won by Jews) and yes there are many nasty, even evil jews in isreal and elsewhere.  but, as the coolest people, as the most generous people, and as a faithbody of 1.5 billion people -- that does not give us the excuse to dehumanize them or abuse them. we are a lot better than some of our jew-hating, petty and mean-spirited brethren would have you believe. 

anyhow, the madina is becoming more exciting now!! maybe i should act like a jerk more often Smiley

may allah bless you all Smiley

assalamualaikum

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2009 04:13 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum

Last week was the start of the Dubai Shopping Festival which is usually accompanied by a grand opening ceremony with fireworks etc etc.

I say usually because the opening ceremony was cancelled by the Ruler of Dubai as an act of solidarity with the people of Gaza. This was after the new year fireworks and celebrations were also cancelled.

Now I’m sure we could all get into whether our leaders should be doing more in the current crisis but I have seen the level of awareness amongst Muslims and non Muslims rise many fold since these declarations were made.

We had thread recently about small kindnesses and I can’t help feel that as a corollary that we really shouldn’t demean any good action that is done sincerely for the sake of Allah. Be it big or be it small.

What does the hadith say?

"Whoever among you sees wrongdoing, let him rectify it with his hand. If he is unable, then with his tongue. And if he is incapable of that then with his heart and that is the weakest level of faith."

If we can’t do more than feel in our heart, then we should try and rectify that but at least be grateful that someone has at least that level of faith to feel sympathy and empathy with fellow brothers and sisters. Of that we should be encouraging and not disparaging.

Anyway, I applaud everyone doing their own little bit in this current crisis including lucid because like jannah said, we’ve always known you to be a sincere person despite the multiple personalities!!

For my part, we as a family went to help assemble food and humanitarian aid box kits with supplies provided by a local Dubai charity over the weekend.

Whilst there was much talk of whether these supplies would actually get through to the recipients, I was constantly reminded of the fact that we are not responsible for the ultimate outcome of our actions, but only for what is within our control. The rest is the will of Allah swt

I was, however, surprised by the queues of people who volunteered, running into hundreds (maybe thousands?) and by the number of non Muslims who also participated in sorting out the supplies, making boxes, filling them and then carrying them to the checkout point. People were engaged, were talking to each other and reveling in the sense of a shared purpose. Personally I was looking at my son and all the other multitude of children there, busily making boxes and the eagerness of which they were working. Whilst we may not be in the midst of bombings, death and destruction, there is indeed a lesson for us to learn when such things happen. For each one of us that lesson maybe different, but there is something there which we should take heed from.

InshaAllah, if by an off chance someone from Gaza is reading this thread I hope they know that we are all trying to do something and remembering their plight purely on the basis that we share the same belief.

I know how I would feel if the roles were reversed.

Wasalaam
BrKhalid

PS Jazakhallah khair to jannah for starting this thread and encouraging us to good.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
timbuktu
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2009 04:30 AM »

peace be upon you

Brother lucid, why did you stop with a 5-second khutba?

Start a website, or at least a blog, if you find you cannot speak freely. Let us know the address of your website, and we will come appreciate you.

If you can think of something practical, tell that on the website, maybe some will join you.

I remember you also accusing me about the genocide in East Pakistan, but instead of getting annoyed, I explained to you where I had tried to help those in suffering. Yet you repeated the same later. Is it a fixation you have?

Why do you assume that everyone who feels the pain of Palestinians is selective? You think that everyone owes it to you to prove that he/she is evenhanded in feeling outrage.
lucid
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2009 05:09 AM »

I remember you also accusing me about the genocide in East Pakistan, but instead of getting annoyed, I explained to you where I had tried to help those in suffering. Yet you repeated the same later. Is it a fixation you have?

thank you uncle timbuktu.  i learned something from your post.  i used to be perplexed as to why do most bangladeshis hate pakistan.  pakistanis were always my best friends and they were muslims, and i got along great with them,...etc

but after reading your post, now i understand why so many of the 150 million bangladeshis hate pakistan.  i guess its obvious really...

thanks....
timbuktu
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2009 12:03 PM »

peace be upon you

no, it is not obvious.

When one gas seen and tried to stop injustice, arson, murder, kidnapping, ...

when one has oneslef been close to death several times for trying this,

and yet when one is hated, for what ...

it is not obvious.

Perhaps you will clarify it to a thick-headed person like me.
hajra
الَسَـــــــلاَمُ عَلَيــْــكُم وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكـَـاتُه
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
hajra has no influence :(

« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2009 04:10 PM »

The Palestinian Crisis 4: Lessons From The Qur'aan
by Imaam Ibn 'Uthaymeen (rahimahullaah)

B i s m i l l a a h i r R a h m a a n i r R a h e e m

Allaah The Exalted Says:

By the heaven, holding the big stars.

And by the Promised Day (i.e. the Day of Resurrection) ;

And by the witnessing day, and by the witnessed day;

Cursed were the people of the ditch;

Fire supplied (abundantly) with fuel,

When they sat by it (fire),

And they witnessed what they were doing against the believers (i.e. burning them).

They had nothing against them, except that they believed in Allaah,

the All-Mighty, Worthy of all Praise!

Who, to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth! And Allaah is Witness over everything.

Verily, those who put into trial the believing men and believing women (by torturing them and burning them), and then do not turn in repentance, (to Allaah), will have the torment of Hell, and they will have the punishment of the burning Fire."

(Suratul Burooj 85:1-10)

The Imaam, Shaykh Muhammad ibn 'Uthaymeen (rahimahullaah) said:

In these verses there are lessons:

- Allaah The Exalted might give His enemies the upper hand over His allies, so don't be amazed when Allaah The Mighty and Majestic let's the kuffar have the upper hand over the believers - and hence they kill them, and burn them, and transgress over their honour - don't be amazed.

Surely Allaah The Exalted has wisdom behind all that.

- The victims from among the believers; their reward in front of Allaah is great [InshaAllaah] .

- And those transgressing disbelievers; Allaah is giving them some time- and He shall punish them gradually from directions they perceive not.

- And for the rest of the Muslims; for them [these occurrences] are lessons, and admonitions [to benefit and build upon] - as to what is happening to their [victimized] brethren.

So for example we hear of what is happening of the great transgressions: of the honour [of Muslims], and the destruction of property, and the hunger suffered by the young and the weak old ones- we hear of things which makes you cry.

So we say: 'SubhaanaAllaah [Far removed is Allaah from any imperfection] , what [and how] is this strength given against those Muslims!!?

But we say: 'O, my brother; don't be amazed - for indeed Allaah The Exalted Has struck for us an example in those before us - who used to be burn the Believers with fire.'

Thus for those brethren of ours -in the Islamic Lands- who have been [wrongfully] overwhelmed:

- This is a raise in degree for the victims.

- And a reason for the sins to be expiated.

- And it is a lesson for the rest. [1]

- And it is also a delusion for those disbelievers such that when they [continue upon] transgression - then Allaah destroys them.

And from the other points of benefit in these verses:

That these disbelievers they did not extract from the Muslims [and punish them for] any sin- except one sin, and it is: That they believed in Allaah, the All-Mighty, Worthy of all Praise! [2]

And [surely] this is not a sin. Rather this is the truth. And the one who denies it; he is the one who is reprimanded.

So we ask Allaah The Exalted, The One who is free from All Imperfections ; to aid and grant victory to the Muslims in all places, and that He prevents from us the evil of our enemies, and that He return their plots onto themselves : Indeed He is All-Able.'

End of the Shaykh's words.

____________ _________ _________ _________ ____

Footnotes:

[1] The Shaykh said this in they year 1414 [almost 16 years ago], And still after all these years, we still have not taken heed, and learnt and rectified, and built upon those happenings!!

Surely we are all to blame - in our respective capacities. We ask Allaah to forgive us.

[2] How wishful -and sad- that the one who said; 'our confrontation with the jews is not of aqeedah!!' I wish that they realize the truth and return to the way of the Salaf - especially in interpreting the Qur'aan and the Sunnah - and leave off partisanship.

[3] A reminder to our brethren in Gaza [and all the other oppressed lands],

Allaah Says:

"Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: "We believe," and will not be tested.

And We indeed tested those who were before them. And Allaah will certainly make (it) known (the truth of) those who are true, and will certainly make (it) known (the falsehood of) those who are liars, (although Allaah knows all that before putting them to test).

Or those who do evil deeds think that they can outstrip Us (i.e. escape Our Punishment)? Evil is that which they judge!

Whoever hopes for the Meeting with Allaah, then Allaah's Term is surely coming. and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower." (Al-Ankabut 29:2-5)

A reminder to our brethren in Gaza [and all the other oppressed lands],

Allaah Says:

"Indeed in the Messenger of Allaah (Muhammad sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) Allaah and the Last Day; and remembers Allaah much." (Al-Ahzaab 33:21)

If we take a look back at the Seerah of the best of all people (sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam)- we will see the trials, tribulations, oppressions- he went through; from his own people-!! Let alone from the cursed jews!!

How many times did they all plan to kill him!?

Indeed in him (sallahAllaahu alayhi wasallam) and his companions (may Allaah be pleased with them all) we have a sufficient example.

Especially in times of weakness [as we are in now].

So brethren in Gaza be patient - and most importantly- return back [you and us] to Allaah; indeed there is no might nor any change except by His will.

A reminder to our brethren in Gaza [and all the other oppressed lands],

The Word of The Supreme:

'But give good news to those who are patient, who, when a calamity strikes them, say: 'Indeed we belong to God and indeed to Him we shall be returning: They are those on whom are blessings from their Sustainer, and mercy-and those, they are the rightly-guided. ' (Al-Baqarah 2:155-157).

And His promise :

'So surely, with the hardship, there is relief.Verily, with the hardship, there is relief.' (Ash-Sharh 94:6-7)

7th Muharram 1430

http://aqwaalulhikmah.wordpress.com/2009/01/03/the-palestinian-crisis-4-lessons-from-the-qur%E2%80%99an-by-imaam-ibn-%E2%80%98uthaymeen-rahimahullaah/

Narrated AbuHurayrah:
The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) used to say: "O Allah, I seek refuge in Thee from four things: Knowledge which does not profit, a heart which is not submissive, a soul which has an insatiable appetite, and a supplication which is not heard."
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2009 06:40 PM »

Asalamaualikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah.

We need to follow the scholars, and our success lies in following the scholars, and adhering to the Quran and Sunnah of the Prophet, pbuh.  If we follow our vain desires, we will be following the Shaitan, our avowed enemy, who will lead us to the Hell Fire.  If someone thinks his opinion is more correct than the scholars, and he doesn't even mention a verse of the Quran, or a single hadith, how can he claim to be following the truth?

The sign of the true scholar, when he speaks, he does not say : "I think this, my opinion is this, why this, why that...", that is from the nafs.

The true scholars says: "Allah says..., the Prophet says..., the scholars say" and these are the ones who are following correct guidance.  If you feel you are correct, bring your evidence from the Quran and Sunnah.  I challenge you.

Getting back to the original theme of this thread:

Allah says:  "Oh you who believe, if you meet the disbelievers (in conflict), then be firm."

The scholars say, this means, that we should trust in Allah, and that victory is from Him alone.  It is not by the worldy means that brings victory, it is by Him.  We should be patient, and firm, and not turn our backs.  The Muslims were never victorious because of numbers. 

Let us trust in Allah, and seek His Pleasure alone.  We don't look to the worldly people, who have turned their backs on us.  We look to Allah, and stay firm, and we don't turn our backs clingly to our lives.

We need to make ready the means for victory, which is the realization of Imaan, of Tawheed.  We need to bring the Ummah back to following the Sunnah, and adherance to the Quran and Sunnah.  Allah will give victory to the Ummah to the extent that it fulfills true Imaan in Allah, adherence to His Commands, and staying away from what He forbade, and calling to the truth.  This is an important condition before the realization of Allah's help.

Allah says:  "If you help Allah, Allah will help you and give victory to you."  That is, if we enjoin others to follow Allah's commands, and stay away from what He forbade,  and help propogate His Religion, He will reward us and make us victorious on the earth.

My beloved brothers and sisters, do not give up on your dua for your brothers and sisters in Gaza, be firm, for victory is near, very near indeed.

And Allah knows best.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
lucid
Bro

« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2009 08:24 PM »

We need to follow the scholars, and our success lies in following the scholars, and adhering to the Quran and Sunnah of the Prophet, pbuh.  If we follow our vain desires, we will be following the Shaitan, our avowed enemy, who will lead us to the Hell Fire.  If someone thinks his opinion is more correct than the scholars, and he doesn't even mention a verse of the Quran, or a single hadith, how can he claim to be following the truth?

The sign of the true scholar, when he speaks, he does not say : "I think this, my opinion is this, why this, why that...", that is from the nafs.

the true scholars do not abuse the quran and hadith by senseless invocations of them whever their nafs desires. 

anybody can invoke hadith and ayaat to prove almost anything and this sickening excercise makes it all the more important that ideas and opinions be rigorously grounded in logic and foundational islamic concepts and not just dressed up in the garb of false islamicness with half a dozen hadith and ayaat...

allahu alam...

assalamualaikum
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2009 12:40 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum, Jannah,

I've been worried about the state of this ummah, with all of the catastrophes happening, one after another. My own soul is guilty, but maaannnnn, how far are we (read: I) from the sahabah? When, in disagreement, they still chose their words wisely and loved each other. This ummah needs unity, to hold fast to the rope.

Thanks, I needed this article.
Jazaakum Allahu khayran.

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
Tabriz
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
Tabriz has no influence :(

« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2009 05:33 AM »

Assalamu alykum,

Here is something we can practically do to help Palestinians in Palestine. The following link will take you to a website that offers arts/crafts/books, etc from Palestine as well as about Palestine. -This benefits a not-for-profit organization based in Washington D.C. that advocates on behalf of Palestinians. If you purchase the crafts/arts then that directly benefits Palestine and the artists there.

I have made a vow to myself that any gifts, especially wedding gifts, office gifts, boss day gifts, housewarming gifts, eid gifts, that I need to buy, I will be purchasing from this website.

This is much more effective than boycotting, which can be stressful and  not practical at times. I hope people pass this link on and encourage people to support the artists based in Palestine.

http://www.middleeastbooks.com/
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2009 04:15 PM »

The best thing you can do right now (while boycotting stores etc is all good and dandy)..What's best is to donate money and time. Because of the cease fire, perhaps the gates will open up for aide etc. Just donate donate donate. Use that latte money wisely.

Islamic relief for example: http://www.irw.org/campaigns/palestinecrisis08&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Palestine_Humanitarian_Crisis_09
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2009 08:40 PM »

salaam
I have been updating and informing on facebook. you can too.

today I emailed bbc to protest because they wont air ads to help the humanitarian crisis in Gaza. many more are dying each day from their wounds and lack of supplies

http://muslimmatters.org/2009/01/25/protest-bbcs-refusal-to-air-dec-gaza-appeal-broadcast/
nuh
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2009 08:59 PM »

Canadians support for Gaza families

At least there's STILL humanitarian support from WESTERNERS in the northern hemisphere, for
the GAZA families who were subjected to BARBARIC Israeli AGGRESSION, that has continued for 60 years.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: