Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Apr 23, 2014 02:36 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inauguration thoughts...  (Read 2944 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jan 21, 2009 03:55 PM »

salam,

Yesterday I watched all the news about the inauguration, saw the almost 2 million crowd converge on DC, listened to the speeches, listened to the commentators, and you know I feel positive for the first time in a long time. Really when you think about it.. a son of immigrants,middle class,  African-American, from a background of nowhere to now our charismatic president. It really is amazing. You know all our teachers would say "you know if you work hard you could be the next president" we were all like "ok yeah right". But now I can really say it to my students and in fact I don't have to even say it as they're seeing it with their own eyes.

I feel like over the last 8 years America has split down the middle between the 'old school', good-ole-boy, pro-patriot, reactionary, protect America's dominance at all costs, and the pro-health care, anti US foreign policy, pro America being part of the Global order. Yesterday I felt like the second group is finally after so many years on top and now everyone can listen to what they have to say. I'm sure every good-ole-boy racist person in America is totally having to reevaluate what happened and this event has completely changed how we Americans even define ourselves as American. Many groups who have been feeling disenfranchised these last years now feel they can participate and make change happen.

So I know many of you, especially overseas, will not understand this and feel that 'every politician from the US is the same it doesn't matter'. But I think this is something that can only be felt as someone who lives here. Regardless of what Obama does in office, I think the impact of this day should be far-reaching, and we pray beneficial.

lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2009 05:16 PM »

assalamualaikum

how many people get annoyed when the press mention over and over and over and over and over and over again that obama is the first african-american or the first black president, etc......

that kind of rhetoric -- of classifying obama, categorizing him -- just seems demeaning.

obama is so appealing because he doesn't belong to any one category -- he transcends all those narrrow minded attempts at categorization.

obama is so appealing because he is cool, so very cool, and you more or less agree with everything he says and really do believe him when he speaks.  and because the dude is smart, very smart.

the honest, sincere, believable politician is an oxymoron, but at least in this case there is a lot of reason for hope.
CountlessBlessings
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
CountlessBlessings has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009 08:35 PM »

Working at the Fulbright office here in Rabat I've been thinking how Obama's election will probably change a lot of what we do.  After September 11 a lot of money was put into small short term student exchange grants-well, mostly one-way exchanges- that bring poor, brilliant students from the Muslim world to America just long enough for them to "gain a better understanding" of the American people.  In other words America's trying to buy the approval of Muslim youth, because its image has deteriorated immensely over the past 7 years.
In Obama's election, the image has been turned around almost immediately (well except for that small matter of him not saying anything regarding Gaza), and there probably won't be a need to sell America's image overseas, at least for the time being.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009 06:58 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

But I think this is something that can only be felt as someone who lives here

I think that's probably very true.

For those of us not in the States, I don't think we really get how a big a deal it is for America to have Obama as President.

I guess the hard work for him really starts now and only time will tell.....

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2009 07:02 AM »

The same feelings and sentiments are felt around the world.  That of hope and giving him a chance to work.  Even miracles take time.

Two things about Obama that have resonated with people from around the world are: a sense of hope and change.  His demeanor radiates these.  His face shows that he his sincere about them.  His speech did not mention the word "terrorism" even once.

Borrowing from his speech, "from the gradiest capital in the world to the village where my father was born", people were glued to TV sets.  It was 8:00 p.m. here when the inaugural ceremeny itself started though the coverage started as ealy as 3:00 p.m.  There was no movement whatsover.  There were times we clapped during his speech.

We all hope for change.  We all hope for Peace.  We all hope for Justice.  And we hope he will achieve them.  He has a tough task ahead of him.  And people of the Third World understand this more so.  That is why we were optimistic.  And we hope and pray that God helps him along the way.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2009 07:25 AM »

I think what bothers me the most, actually there are several things,
He keeps getting refered to as the 'first African American President'.
HE IS NOT African American, he is a Bi-Racial American, 50 % of the blood that
runs through that mans veins is WHITE, yet he and the media seems to side a lot with the African American side.
At the college on election day two African American males made a comment,
Now that there's a brother in the white house we'll see some jobs Huh?
I was like, A DUHHHH, that man (Obama) got a job, actually more than one without a 'BROTHER' in
the white house. I could care less if he his skin was bright purple with green poka dots wearing a yello tutu,
if he can do the job then he can have it.

And the prayer after, when the yellow can mellow and the red man something or other
and the white can embrace right?
So because I am white I don't embrace right?
That one truly truly shocked me.

What I fondly remember and makes my heart warm, is watching him with love in his eyes for his wife, her in his arms
and all the hope of tomorrow in his eyes, them dancing, now that warmed my heart.
I feel this man has walked into a hornets nest and I pray Allah will guide him and give him wisdom to make the right
choices and decisions. He sure has his work cut out for him.
I will try my best to make sure I make a brief prayer each night for his and his families safety and for his heart and mind to be just and that Allah will give him wisdom to make the right choices.
He sure has one heck of a job on his hands. He seems like a very bright, intelligent man.
I really enjoyed his speech and hope he can get through these next 4 yrs without losing his faith, determination and sincerity.
Sister Halima said it beautifully when she said,
'Two things about Obama that have resonated with people from around the world are: a sense of hope and change.  His demeanor radiates these.  His face shows that he his sincere about them.  His speech did not mention the word "terrorism" even once.'

Bobseed
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
Bobseed has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2009 11:08 AM »

I feel this man has walked into a hornets nest

You are 100% right sister! Obama is in the hornets nest, yes that is where fate puts him. For the Jews the time is indeed very near when the big fight to rid them off Allah's earth will take place. The Jews we have in Israel  now are not   the BIBLICAL JEWS but Jews from all over Europe and America, (imported Jews)they are FAKE Jews.People who believe in God don't fight the way they just fought our beloved brothers - HAMAS ..........just wait, something is about to happen!

For Obama, you cannot pray for him. The only prayer Allah will accept from you for him is that he becomes a muslim, he as you said has walked into a hornets nest, but that is his fate.

Lastly sister do not be afraid of the things to come, though they will be hard........remember Bob Marley's words? "Have no fear for atomic energy for none of them gonna stop the time"

lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2009 02:12 PM »

Salaam,

It's a biggggg deal for many here. BlessedGranda...you are right, he is bi-racial. We had this discussion at my parents house the night of the inaugaration. Why people of mixed race align themselves one way sometimes and w/o regard for the other half or third or whatever. Interesting.  Never-the-less, it is a big deal for people of color - no matter what color. It's a big deal for people of middle/lower classes. As he is not from big time estate money or anything like that.  He has that name! lol

However, I was not really impressed either way with his inaugaration speech. He's coming in with high hopes and is already on a pedastal before he has even done anything. Let's let him do something and 'make some change' and then decide if he's all he's cracked up to be.

It's just refreshing to finally get rid of an ignoramous.  Like everyone here , let's hope and pray for the best. World peace or rather just stability...food for the hungry, roofs for the homeless and health for the unhealthy..

much love
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2009 06:42 PM »

For the Jews the time is indeed very near when the big fight to rid them off Allah's earth will take place.

ok can someone tell me if this is from a Quran verse? Or the hopes of some Muslims?
The word that's going around in other countries?  Cause another brother mentioned something like this in another post. I find it disheartening and wonder what those who aren't Muslim think when they come to a site such as this and read such a thing. I don't wish to see anyone anihilated, or wipped off the earth. These two countries sound like naughty fighting children in need of seperation. 

For Obama, you cannot pray for him. The only prayer Allah will accept from you for him is that he becomes a muslim, he as you said has walked into a hornets nest, but that is his fate.

We say that Allah is the most compassionate, the most merciful, if we believe what we claim, who are we to say
what Allah will and will not accept?

Lastly sister do not be afraid of the things to come, though they will be hard........remember Bob Marley's words? "Have no fear for atomic energy for none of them gonna stop the time"
My biggest fear is so many of many different beliefs may be in a huge shock when they arrive at Judgement Day, all of them thinking THEY were righ or part of the right ones.
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2009 03:20 AM »

blessedgrandma,

no, it's not in the quran.  he is a referring to some hadith about the end of time.  many of the hadith about the end of days are not credible, and should generally be ignored whenever they smell funny.

assalamualaikum

[Edited by Admin: Do not insult other users.]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: