// Saints
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: When many astronauts go to space, they see the insignificant size of the earth and vastness of space, and they become very religious, because they have seen the Signs of Allah. --Cat Stevens
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saints  (Read 1125 times)
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« on: Jan 07, 2009 05:41 PM »

As salaamu alaykum

I was just reading a post by Sis Halima about sitting with the saints.

Saints. This is a topic in Islam I have never looked into. Growing up as a Catholic- saints are revered people who are often prayed to for protection, favors, etc..

Can someone tell me more about saints in Islam?

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
nuh
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2009 03:09 AM »

As-salaam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wabarakatuh.

I hope you are all in the best state of health and iman.

Being raised in a catholic home, I was confused by the idea of 'islamic saints' as well. Having looked into the subject a little bite it seems as though it is the exact same idea (with no formal canonization process) -- praying to/through 'holy people' to gain favours from or nearness to Allah (swt).

It is clearly innovative in nature.

Here is a ruling on the subject:

It is known, from the proofs of the Quran and Sunnah that seeking nearness by slaughtering or acts of worship to other than Allah, such as pious people, Jinn, idols or other creatures is Shirk and the practices of pre-Islamic era and the pagans. Allah, the exalted says:

Say, 'My Salah, and my offering, and my life, and my death are all for Allah, the Lord of the worlds. He has no partner. And so I am commanded, and I am the first of the Muslims.' (Al An'am 6:162, 163)

Allah, Glorious is He, clarifies in this Verse that sacrificing to other than Allah is Shirk, just as performing the prayer to other than Him. Allah, the Exalted, says:

We have given you Al-Kawthar. So, pray to your Lord and offer sacrifice. (Al Kawthar 108: 1,2)

In this Surah Allah, Glorious is He, instructed his Prophet (saws) to pray to His Lord, and sacrifice to Him, contrary to the people of Shirk, who pray and slaughter to other than Allah. Allah, the Exalted says:

And your Lord has decreed that you should worship none other than Allah (Al Isra 17:23),

He also says:

And they are commanded only to worship Allah, being sincere to Him. (Al Bayyinah 98:5)

There are many Verses that convey this meaning.

Since sacrifice is an act of worship, then it must be dedicated sincerely to Allah. Imam Muslim narrated in his Sahih that the Commander of the Believers. Ali said that the Messenger of Allah (saws) said:

"Allah curses him who sacrifices to other than Allah" (Muslim No. 1978)

As for those who say: "I adjure Allah by the right of His beloved believers, or by the honour of His beloved believers, or by the right of the Prophet, or by his honour." Such adjuration does not constitute Shirk, but it is innovation, according to the assemble of people of knowledge, and a means of Shirk, because the supplication is an act of worship, and the way it should be made is not subject to opinion. There is no proof related to the Prophet (saws) denoting legality, or permissibility of adjuration by the right or honour of any human.

Hence, it is not permissible for the Muslims to innovate a type of Tawassul which Allah, the Exalted, does not legitimize. Allah, the Exalted, says:

Or do they have partners who legalize for them acts of worship which Allah does not permit. (Ash Shura 42:21)

And the Prophet (saws) said:

"He who initiates something in this matter of ours that is not from it, shall have it rejected." (Bukhari No. 2697 & Muslim No. 1718)

His statement 'shall have it rejected', means that it shall not be accepted by Allah from the one who introduces it.

It is incumbent upon the Muslims to restrict themselves only to what Allah has legitimized, and beware of what people innovate.

As for the legitimate Tawassul, it is adjuring Allah by His Names and Attributes. It can be effective by up holding the beliefs in His Oneness, doing good deeds, charitable donations and by believing in Allah and His Messengers. It is Allah who grants success.

- ibn Baz

May Allah grant us all Tawfiq.  Ameen.
Ma'as salaama,
nuh ibn
 bro
peaceman
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
peaceman has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009 07:38 PM »

Salam alaikum wrb,

Honorable sister,

Sometimes when one looks at  the terminology of saints, and sainthood, what may come to mind
are monks that isolate themselves from the rest of society. In actuality, many of these practices were not
ordained by Allah, and Allah has given us the best example of that of prophet Muhammed, may Allahs
peace be upon him, who lived a full life.

A person comes closer to Allah by obeying Allah more. One can achieve this obedience by learning from
our ulema, on what are the things that Allah has ordained and forbidden.

Whats comes to my mind as a saint, i.e. someone very close to Allah, would be a shaikh that is knowledgeble in the tajweed (recitation) of the Quran, and knowledgable in the fiqh (Islamic laws), and teaches and propogates this noble knowledge. It would not neccesarily be someone that is famous, and known amongst the people, but one that has much rewards in the afterlife in the jannah.

And Allah knows.

May Allah increase you in knowledge.
Take a look at my site:  http://www.tajwid.info

Also a good site with several mp3 durus of beneficial knowledge from our ulema, fiqh explaining the book "bulgh Maram" , Q&A, http://www.imamfaisal.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: