CAIR Action Alert #566
Thank CBS for ‘Powerful’ Report on Mistreatment of Palestinians
Segment shows expanding settlements, evictions, humiliating checkpoints, ‘Apartheid’ roads and wall, families imprisoned in their own homes
(WASHINGTON, D.C., 1/26/2009) - CAIR today asked American Muslims and other people who seek peace with justice in the Middle East to thank CBS for last night’s “60 Minutes” program that outlined in detail the injustices suffered by the Palestinian people at the hands of the Israelis.
The 13-minute report by journalist Bob Simon showed the damage to the cause of peace caused by the ever-expanding and illegal Israeli settlements, the evictions of Palestinians from their homes, the humiliation they experience at Israeli checkpoints, the “Apartheid” roads and wall built by Israel, and the bizarre experience of Palestinian families imprisoned in their own homes by Israeli soldiers.
You can watch the video of the report here http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4752349n
, or read the transcript here.
“We thank CBS and the producers of ’60 Minutes’ for having the courage to show the American people the truth about the injustices that are at the core of the Middle East conflict,” said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad. “This powerful report shows clearly that the only way to resolve the conflict and bring peace and stability to the region is to address the fundamental issues of justice that have been ignored by the world community for far too long.”
Awad said Muslims should thank CBS because the media are often criticized for not showing the full picture of the suffering of the Palestinian people at the hands of the Israelis.
IMMEDIATE ACTIONS REQUESTED:
1. CONTACT “60 Minutes” - They are getting a lot of “heat” from the vocal minority who support Israel’s brutal and counterproductive actions. It is important that those who value peace with justice in the region make the effort to support balanced media coverage.
Copy to: email@example.com
555 West 57th St.
New York, NY 10019
2. COMMENT ONLINE about the segment. (Always be polite and respectful.) Hundreds of people have already made their views known. Add your comments here or here.
3. SHARE this important alert with your colleagues, friends and family. Post to personal blogs.
4. CONTACT YOUR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES to ask that they view the CBS report.
Contact Your Congressional Representatives: U.S. Senators and House of Representatives
- PLEASE ANNOUNCE, POST AND DISTRIBUTE -