Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need your ideas: Ideal School?  (Read 6748 times)
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« on: Feb 02, 2009 01:07 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah,

No worries, this is not a thread on Islamic schools vs. public schools vs. home schooling.  sis

If you had your own wish, what would your ideal school (primary, middle, high school, any level)
Look like?
Be like?
Produce?

Pretend funding is not an issue.

Jazaakum Allahu khayran,
sofia

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009 10:06 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Well if I had pretend funding I'd hire all the best teachers and bring classes sizes down to one!!  bro

But joking aside, I'm not sure what the concept of an ideal school means?

Is it meant to be ideal for the students, the teachers, the parents? All of the above?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009 01:01 PM »

salam

It would look like a ummmm school, I suppose, large and airy classrooms, big windows, huge playground, the premises would be clean, the class sizes 15 pupils to two teachers or one teacher and one TA.

The outcome would be a strong work ethic instilled in the children, teaching should be interesting and emphasis placed on maths, reading, and writing, and science I'm talking primary school here too. Manners and mutual respect should be encouraged amongst pupils and teachers.

Staff and students should appear clean and smart, the latter in uniform. The school should work with the parents to achieve standards

The school should produce students who are happy and healthy, nurture a love of learning in students, and when they leave the students would carry on the legacy of the school into their future careers/lives and very importantly have very happy memories of their childhood. Children after all spend most time at school.

Don't ask for much me

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2009 12:24 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Peter Sanders would teach photography to the high school kids, Dawud Wharnsby Ali and Yusuf Islam would take turns teaching the music class, Yahiya Emerick and Reshma Baig would be the English teachers, and Sh. Mokhtar would take everyone out on nature hikes and field trips.

madinaflag
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2009 10:29 PM »

ws,

I would soo go to that school ^!! Positive teachers, clean and organized classrooms, up to date technology, an amazing library, amazing playground/gym/recreational activities. If I had about 50 million I could do it Smiley
sofia
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2009 01:16 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah,

Wowow, jazaakum Allahu khayran, keep the ideas coming!

Is it meant to be ideal for the students, the teachers, the parents? All of the above?

For all stakeholders, so yes, all the above.

sofia Smiley

Btw:
I'm trying to wrap my mind around a more "implementation of knowledge" school culture (ie, higher up on the taxonomy scale than understanding/memorizing/testing well level many schools are at).  Hence the question. Great ideas so far. May Allah grant this ummah beneficial knowledge and success.

"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2009 10:22 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

I'm trying to wrap my mind around a more "implementation of knowledge" school culture (ie, higher up on the taxonomy scale than understanding/memorizing/testing well level many schools are at).

Can you really ever *teach* someone to *apply* the knowledge that they learn or do people only really learn when they put things into practice once they encounter a particular situation or experience?

Sometimes, you may have the knowledge right there but don’t know how to use it, such as the many verses of the Qur’an which give guidance but which we are too blind (or spiritually unable) to see how.

PS A decent cricket pitch wouldn’t hurt either  bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
sofia
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2009 09:59 PM »

As-salaamu alaykum,

Can you really ever *teach* someone to *apply* the knowledge that they learn or do people only really learn when they put things into practice once they encounter a particular situation or experience?
I guess that's the question.
I used to think, "Doubt it. Dream on."
But after hearing of schools where students are affecting change* and trying to make the world a better place (seems it's the new trend...), I'm starting to wonder...why not Islamic schools?
The issue of Qur'aanic teachings is one that I'm concerned with in regards to Islamic Schools...we're currently figuring out the whole hifz vs. tafseer vs. ? Implementation is key...

*Like the school kids from GA (?) that performed at Obama's inauguration (some say their pre-election song was influential, but who knows?)
*Like another school I just saw on Dateline or World News, where each class had its own special "project" to positively affect change in some aspect (local, regional, national, international). Like environmental issues, AIDS, etc.

um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2009 11:14 PM »

salam

Have you experimented with PBL in your class?

sofia
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2009 12:50 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum, um aboodi,

Problem-based learning (or is it project-based)? I'm all for varied forms of active learning.

That reminds me, I was just reading an article on how boys and girls learn differently. I'd also suggest separate classes for girls and boys by middle school...anyhow, boys tend to favor problem-based learning, while girls tend to favor project-based learning. Girls tend to favor collaborate learning, while boys like competition and movement.

Fascinating stuff. Trying to implement various methods of teaching to accomodate various learning styles is definitely a challenge, but it leads to so much better performance (and rare behavioral issues) if done right.

Keep the ideas coming!
 pinkhijabisis

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: