Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

This is the winter of our dawah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Women Drivers  (Read 2833 times)
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« on: Feb 04, 2009 04:02 PM »

slm
Saw this the other day and thought of bhaloo.

Why I start every car ride with:
Subhanalla-thee sakh-khara-lana haatha wa-ma kun-na lahoo muqrineena wa inna ila Rabbina la-mun-qali-boon.
Translation: Glory be to Him (Allah) who has brought this (vehicle) under our control though we were unable to control it.  Sure, we are to return to our Lord.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
shareislam
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
shareislam has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2009 04:46 PM »

salaam
LOL at that last one. BtW I am a WAY better driver than DH and even he will admit that.

Stephanie
a_desert_rose
Sis

a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2009 08:37 PM »

Oh God, 0:26 is SO me!! I'm really small so my arm can never reach  Sad

On the rare occasions when I get to drive with my brother actually sitting in the passenger seat, I get so much criticism the WHOLE way it drives me crazy. Especially when he tells me to "BRAKE!" and I'm actually already braking, he just doesn't trust me in the driver's seat  Roll Eyes Serously, big brothers  Roll Eyes

Wassalam
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2009 11:15 PM »

Lol, I'm so like the woman who was being timed whilst she parked!  But I am not that bad!  If I can't do it after like 3 attempts, I'm so flustered and embarrassed, especially if there are people behind me, that I drive off and go park elsewhere.  Why didn't she just give up?? 

SubhanAllaah I got my husband to watch it, and it when it came to that bit, he was chortling away, and when I asked him why he was laughing, he said 'Because that's you!'  Shocked

I can't believe I fit in to a classic negative stereotype of women  Roll Eyes

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2009 08:20 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Saw this the other day and thought of bhaloo

Bhaloo would be proud I'm sure Sr Kathy  bro

I have no idea how that car managed to keel over in the driveway though, seriously scary!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2009 09:18 AM »

I am a good driver, a fast one (like speed) and those slow on the road really annoy me.  I get out any tight spot in parking smartly. I have beaten the stereotype and got an 'A' certificate from all the males who know me!

I am not just blowing my own trumpet!  It is true!  Women drivers are better than men drivers.  All it takes is guts.

slm
Why I start every car ride with:
Subhanalla-thee sakh-khara-lana haatha wa-ma kun-na lahoo muqrineena wa inna ila Rabbina la-mun-qali-boon.
Translation: Glory be to Him (Allah) who has brought this (vehicle) under our control though we were unable to control it.  Sure, we are to return to our Lord.

I do that too!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Nafs
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2009 06:32 AM »

salaam

Oh My! That was hillarious! ... I just read this article about a woman who has taken her driving test 771 times so far >

Woman Has Failed Driver's Test 771 TimesAP

World News
SEOUL, South Korea (Feb. 5) - A woman in South Korea who has taken the written exam required for a driver's license nearly every day since 2005 has failed again — but is hoping attempt No. 772 will be the charm.
The aspiring driver took her first test in April 2005, according to Choi Young-chul, an official at the North Jeolla Province driver's license agency in Jeonju, 150 miles south of Seoul.
Skip over this content She has taken the test a record 771 times, most recently on Monday, but has yet to pass. She said she plans to take the test again but did not say when, he said Thursday.
The 68-year-old has spent $3,000 on fees for the test, he said. Applicants must score at least 60 on the written exam before they can get behind the wheel for a driving test. Choi says she's scored as high as 50.
"I feel sorry every time I see Cha fail. When she passes, I'll make a memorial tablet myself and give it to her," Park Jung-seok, a traffic police officer at the agency, told the Korea Times newspaper.
No other details about her identity were released other than her family name, Cha.

anyways I have a speeding problem too I guess ..once a friend of mine refused to sit in the car with me ..and once my sister and I   had a huge fight and then she decided to record me while driving so if I made a mistake or speeded she'd show my parents as proof ..that too k a lot of patience on my part....
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2009 09:52 AM »

salam

How can anoyone fail a written test that many times? I can see (sort of) how one can fail the practical test a billion times but written tests, surely if you study you pass without ever having seen an interior of a car?

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2009 01:06 PM »

and once me and my sister had a huge fight

I'm sooo sorry for being an old fuddy duddy,    oldshaykh   but this really drives me nuts...

It's "MY SISTER AND I"!!!!  I'm constantly correcting my kids.  I guess English teachers don't care about this anymore...

I remember when I was a kid and we'd get chewed out for simply mixing up "may I" with "can I".

sooo sooo sorry, sister nafs... just can't help myself....
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2009 09:06 PM »

How can anoyone fail a written test that many times? I can see (sort of) how one can fail the practical test a billion times but written tests, surely if you study you pass without ever having seen an interior of a car?

I guess people who may have difficulty with reading or do not have a certain level of intelligence (i.e. possibly some kind of learning difficulty) perhaps.

Hm, people who speed really drive me nuts on the road.  There is a *reason* there is a speed limit.  If these people don't care about endangering their own lives, then at least respect the lives of others.  Our Creator Has Made us responsible for each other, this also applies when we're driving on the road.

wasalaam

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2009 10:16 PM »

lol wow... here's one for the grammar nazis or is it nazi's ? Tongue

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090131/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_no_apostrophe

Its a catastrophe for the apostrophe in Britain

Writer – Sat Jan 31, 9:26 am ET AP –

England's second-largest city has decided to drop apostrophes from all its street signs, saying they're confusing and old-fashioned.

But some purists are downright possessive about the punctuation mark.

It seems that Birmingham officials have been taking a hammer to grammar for years, quietly dropping apostrophes from street signs since the 1950s. Through the decades, residents have frequently launched spirited campaigns to restore the missing punctuation to signs denoting such places as "St. Pauls Square" or "Acocks Green."

This week, the council made it official, saying it was banning the punctuation mark from signs in a bid to end the dispute once and for all.

Councilor Martin Mullaney, who heads the city's transport scrutiny committee, said he decided to act after yet another interminable debate into whether "Kings Heath," a Birmingham suburb, should be rewritten with an apostrophe.

"I had to make a final decision on this," he said Friday. "We keep debating apostrophes in meetings and we have other things to do."

Mullaney hopes to stop public campaigns to restore the apostrophe that would tell passers-by that "Kings Heath" was once owned by the monarchy.

"Apostrophes denote possessions that are no longer accurate, and are not needed," he said. "More importantly, they confuse people. If I want to go to a restaurant, I don't want to have an A-level (high school diploma) in English to find it."

But grammarians say apostrophes enrich the English language.

"They are such sweet-looking things that play a crucial role in the English language," said Marie Clair of the Plain English Society, which campaigns for the use of simple English. "It's always worth taking the effort to understand them, instead of ignoring them."

Mullaney claimed apostrophes confuse GPS units, including those used by emergency services. But Jenny Hodge, a spokeswoman for satellite navigation equipment manufacturer TomTom, said most users of their systems navigate through Britain's sometime confusing streets by entering a postal code rather than a street address.

She said that if someone preferred to use a street name — with or without an apostrophe — punctuation wouldn't be an issue. By the time the first few letters of the street were entered, a list of matching choices would pop up and the user would choose the destination.

A test by The Associated Press backed this up. In a search for London street St. Mary's Road, the name popped up before the apostrophe had to be entered.

There is no national body responsible for regulating place names in Britain. Its main mapping agency, Ordnance Survey, which provides data for emergency services, takes its information from local governments and each one is free to decide how it uses punctuation.

"If councils decide to add or drop an apostrophe to a place name, we just update our data," said Ordnance Survey spokesman Paul Beauchamp. "We've never heard of any confusion arising from their existence."

To sticklers, a missing or misplaced apostrophe can be a major offense.

British grammarians have railed for decades against storekeepers' signs advertising the sale of "apple's and pear's," or pubs offering "chip's and pea's."

In her best-selling book "Eats, Shoots and Leaves," Lynne Truss recorded her fury at the title of the Hugh Grant-Sandra Bullock comedy "Two Weeks Notice," insisting it should be "Two Weeks' Notice."

"Those spineless types who talk about abolishing the apostrophe are missing the point, and the pun is very much intended," she wrote.
Nafs
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2009 03:33 PM »

I'm sooo sorry for being an old fuddy duddy,    oldshaykh   but this really drives me nuts...

It's "MY SISTER AND I"!!!!  I'm constantly correcting my kids.  I guess English teachers don't care about this anymore...

I remember when I was a kid and we'd get chewed out for simply mixing up "may I" with "can I".

sooo sooo sorry, sister nafs... just can't help myself....

Lol, dont be sorry... My english grammer ..lets just say it doesn't exist... my sister always corrects me =) ... so hopefully I don't forget that inshaAllah

btw salaampeaceshalom, you're right.

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2009 05:09 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Wow, I'm going to get real self conscious now that the Grammar Police (aka Sr rahma) are(is?) patrolling the board  bro

Yeah..I mean yes, I remember having syntax lessons being drummed into me as a kid. I'm not sure how successful they were but there was much soul searching to be had if you forget the apostrophe in youre, or even worse wrote your instead!!

Sr rahma - Admit it, you're one of those people who write text messages in full sentences aren't you?  bro

PS Don't come down too hard on Sr jannah and her complete disregard for the use of upper case letters at the beginning of sentences.

She has to maintain this wonderful place after all, so I think we should cut her some slack (or maybe fix her shift key?)  Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2009 03:43 PM »

Sr rahma - Admit it, you're one of those people who write text messages in full sentences aren't you?  bro

Yeah...pretty much...  I once sent a text message to my son and it had an abbreviation in it.  He texted back "Who is this?"

My english grammer ..lets just say it doesn't exist.

Sister Nafs, and I'd be totally lost without spellcheck....
Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2009 08:41 AM »

Hm, people who speed really drive me nuts on the road.  There is a *reason* there is a speed limit.  If these people don't care about endangering their own lives, then at least respect the lives of others.  Our Creator Has Made us responsible for each other, this also applies when we're driving on the road.

wasalaam

I like speed but not to the extent of endangering myself or others on the road.  I just don't like slow drivers, epecially someone who will just block you for the heck of it and would not give you the courtesy of overtaking even when the road is clear!

Hey, a value my life and those of others and I do respect the speed limit though in Africa, the speed limit or traffic rules are not really respected and most of the roads do not even indicate the speed limit.

The Almighty Allah says,

Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2009 09:06 AM »

Salaams,

I am a good driver, a fast one (like speed) and those slow on the road really annoy me.  I get out any tight spot in parking smartly. I have beaten the stereotype and got an 'A' certificate from all the males who know me!

I am not just blowing my own trumpet!  It is true!  Women drivers are better than men drivers.  All it takes is guts.

Yeah yeah... BTW, have you been talking to BroHanif lately on facebook? Coz thats how he has started talking since he setup his own business.

There was once this fast&furious auntie who was driving bumper2bumper behind me. I got annoyed and stepped on the accelerator, next thing I saw in the rare view mirror is that she's like 6 cars behind. So women should know their place really.

Sr rahma - Admit it, you're one of those people who write text messages in full sentences aren't you?

Yeah...pretty much...  I once sent a text message to my son and it had an abbreviation in it.  He texted back "Who is this?"

I do that too. When i'm driving and ask wifey to text someone for me, I ask her to read it to me before sending, and then I get all the abbreviations expounded.

Wasalam,
-Hard2Hit

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2009 09:57 AM »

salam

That's so funny  Grin
...  I once sent a text message to my son and it had an abbreviation in it.  He texted back "Who is this?"

Must admit, my grammar is pretty hit and miss, sometimes I go back and correct my spelling and grammar, at other times I just ain't bovvered... btw I didn't have syntax lessons or grammar lessons :'(, my written and spoken english was learned by reading, still makes for interesting conversations to this day as written words are not always pronounced how they look like they should....!!! I was born in england but in a house that spoke Urdu exclusively so I didn't speak a word of english when I started school.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
a_desert_rose
Sis

a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2009 05:01 PM »

I was born in england but in a house that spoke Urdu exclusively so I didn't speak a word of english when I started school.

I'm exactly the same. I still remember saying the word 'gorgeous' out loud for the first time, came out as 'jorjious'.

Does anyone else change their writing style depending on the person they're texting? I always use full words, punctuation etc when I text, but when I'm replying to a certain friend ma riting jst cums out all ghetto, jst cos she rites like dat n she probs wont read my txt if its written properly  Roll Eyes takes so much more time, I have to think about each word and how to spell it in text-speak.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2009 09:42 PM »

salam

I can't do 'ghetto' and as a result I tend to need a translator when speaking with my baby sister and as for text messages form her, I pass them onto my bosses daughter who translates....two girls born in one household divided by language <sigh>

Wassalaam

Halima
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2009 06:23 AM »

Salaams,

Yeah yeah... BTW, have you been talking to BroHanif lately on facebook? Coz thats how he has started talking since he setup his own business.

There was once this fast&furious auntie who was driving bumper2bumper behind me. I got annoyed and stepped on the accelerator, next thing I saw in the rare view mirror is that she's like 6 cars behind. So women should know their place really.

Wasalam,
-Hard2Hit

H2H, not all aunties are like the ones you have described above.  You should be on the road with me (regardless of whether it is a busy one or not) and then we can talk about women drivers and especially aunties only after I have put you in your place as far as driving is concerned (that would be fun, indeed).

As for text messaging, I only use full sentences with certain people, especially if I am communicating with them for the first time.  I enjoy the abbreviated version more plus you can say so much using it.

The Almighty Allah says,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: