Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

To biryani, or not to biryani.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let it snow...  (Read 2499 times)
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« on: Feb 04, 2009 12:31 PM »

Assalamualaikum  Smiley,

Unlike some lucky lucky people in the madina, us poor folks in London only get snow about one day a year (two if we're lucky), and we generally get it right at the end, when everyone's like 'been there done that' - I mean, last year we had snow in April fer crying out loud.

Anyway, us Londoners tend to go a little umm *loopy* when we see snow and we go all out to celebrate...no transport, everyone off work, schools closed, people staring out the windows, everyone's facebook status reads "it's snowing!!!!!" (like we haven't noticed already), nearly every kid (and adult) is out building snow sculptures or sledding in the park, people going crazy taking pictures -even the BBC goes a little nutso - this year I ended up baking the WHOLE day.

Soooo....I'd like to know what YOU guys do when it snows..and please don't say you curl up in bed and go to sleep!

Wassalam,

a_desert_rose

yes I'm bored and I have loads of work to do but I'm putting it off and starting pointless threads on the madina  fez
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2009 01:06 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

...us poor folks in London only get snow about one day a year...

Speaking to my folks back in London, I hear it really is bad at the moment!!

I used to remember those odd days of having to scrape all that snow off the car and trudge into work through the slush!!

Londoners tend to go a little umm *loopy* when we see snow

Londoners wouldn't be Londoners if we weren't moaning about the weather all the time.  bro

Mark my words adr, you and Sr Fozia will be complaining about the heatwave in May in a few months time  Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2009 02:30 PM »

salaam,
I'm tired of the snow and will welcome with outstretched arms...the warm weather. I hear it's going to be in teh 50's this weekend (10C). That's warm ..Perhaps I should take out the flip flops.

This year is an exceptional one. We just had a lovely storm yesterday here in NYC. This AM there were car pile ups on the highways due to heavy ice conditions etc. It's rough I tell ya.

I heard about the London super storm this past weekend and don't envy you one bit. What I wouldnt give to be in the desert right now BrKhalid Smiley or a desert like place. Luckily, I have to go to Las Vegas for work next month! hehe

much love
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2009 02:37 PM »

salam

Oh woohoo Sr. a_dessert_rose did you get snow down your way too??

We had snow for the first time in 18 years!!! My girls had such fun, we built snowmidgets and everyone got two days off work and school, there's more snow scheduled for Thursday let it snow indeed.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2009 04:05 PM »

We got snow too Smiley.  Ok, I do feel sorry for all those people who missed their flights, got stuck in delays, etc but I think there's been a lot of negativity in the media coverage about how the govt and councils weren't prepared etc.  I say let every snow day be a national holiday!  No seriously, people should have the day off and spend it with their kids or with whoever and go play in the snow.  It's been interesting to see how creative ppl are when it comes to snow  Smiley

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2009 08:32 PM »

Br Khalid, I ALWAYS mean loopy in a good way! We LOVE snow. Okay, I may be exaggerating and yes, there are some weirdos who were complaining about the transport problems and not wanting a day off but the majority of us were having fun! Just check out the amazing snow sculptures on the Beeb!

lalamarcy: other parts of the world get huge blizzard-like snow storms and act like it's normal. We get 24hrs of snow (not even very heavy) and it's called a superstorm  Roll Eyes  Reminds me of the time we had a bit of fog about a year or two ago, and the whole city literally came to a standstill.

Fozia and salaampeaceshalom, let's all collectively pray it snows on Thursday and Friday! I have a very boring lecture tomorrow  Embarrassed

Wassalam
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2009 10:38 PM »

ws,

I heard about the snow in London via news stories and friends and I was like oh wow they must have gotten a HUGe snowstorm like our valentines day snowstorm a few years ago. So I checked the news and they got 4 INCHES of snow!!! I was like WHaaaaaaaaa??? 4 inches that's it!! And all of England is shut down!! I seriously don't get it... Let me tell you guys something... 4 inches is like a nice weekend for us... 8-12 is like oh a storms 'a comin... we gotta get ready to shovel.. and 12-14 is what we consider a REAL Storm when everything get shutdown and we stay in for the night. Sheesh kabobs.. For some reason I thought England was at the same latitude as us and got the same weather but now I'm thinking it must be like Florida or something?? How can it never snow??
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2009 11:08 PM »

Fozia and salaampeaceshalom, let's all collectively pray it snows on Thursday and Friday! I have a very boring lecture tomorrow  Embarrassed

I'm right with you!  Alhumdulilah I've got the next 2 days off.  Am hoping if it snows bad enough my husband won't be able to go to work and so we can spend some time together  Smiley

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2009 08:07 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

So I checked the news and they got 4 INCHES of snow!!! I was like WHaaaaaaaaa??? 4 inches that's it!! And all of England is shut down!!

lol

I think what everyone else has to realise is that if it snows anywhere else in the UK besides London, then it’s not news.

If some of the white stuff settles in Trafalgar Square, however, then you won’t hear the end of it and all hell breaks loose!!  bro

An indication of how Londoncentric news in the UK is. I wonder if the fellow Brits would agree?

Having said that it’s been cold over here too, I mean it's only in the mid 20’s/70’s today….brrrrrrr….  Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2009 09:38 AM »

salam

That's exactly what I'm saying, London has not seen settled snow for almost 17/18 years!!! Snow in Scotland and ermmm other places with high latitudes (can anyone tell I did not do geogrpahy at school), is normal snow in Londres no no no. It used to be common when I was very oyung but it sort of disappeared for near two decades.

Apparently parts of England is expaecting 12inches of snow over the weekend, that kinda scares me!!!

To be perfectly honest, I think as its been so long since we saw a proper snowfall, everyone just immediately decided to give up and allow themselves to be snowed in. The atmosphere was so festive, everyone was having snowball fights with eachother, people were building snowmen in eachothers gardens, and this is england you dont talk to one another, ever, even if you get the same train as someone for twenty years, you do not speak unless you are formally introduced!!!

It was just great fun, the entire street came out to have mad snowball fights, for a while we were all united together and everything was picture postcard perfect!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2009 05:11 PM »

To be perfectly honest, I think as its been so long since we saw a proper snowfall, everyone just immediately decided to give up and allow themselves to be snowed in.

truesay.

everyone's facebook status reads "it's snowing!!!!!" (like we haven't noticed already)

lolz, I've done that too.  And uploaded my pix of me and my snowman that I built.

I'm from the Midlands region and the snow doesn't seem all that much to me but it does make for treacherous driving.  We're already starting to run out of salt here (what do we pay our council taxes for? harrumph). 

Basically, I'm enjoying the days off.  This has been the third day off this week, and I get to play in the snow, yay!  The five day forecast says more snow is due.  I can't wait!

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2009 11:39 PM »

Summer is almost here in NY... we can see the deer moving around now....

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2009 03:53 AM »

lol... what a great picture Smiley

the crazy thing is going by shopping malls there are mountainssss of snow piled up... and it's so cold my eyeballs almost froze today so no chance of melting any time soon Sad
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2009 04:16 PM »

Our snow was practically all gone by last night. Then it snowed 'heavily' for about half an hour at 8 in the morning so everyone was undecided as to whether they should go to school or not. The weather really couldn't make its mind up either -after the snow we had rain which basically washed it all away Sad , then we had about 5 minutes of sleet/hail/rain/snow at midday then it all stopped.

And I just realised I've been complaining about the weather, thus proving Br.Khalid right Smiley

Londoners wouldn't be Londoners if we weren't moaning about the weather all the time.

But London wouldn't be London without frustrating whinge-inducing weather  Wink

Wassalam,

a_desert_rose

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2009 07:11 PM »

salam

According to a friend we had about a foot of snow down our way, I think the four inches thing was a national average and given that cornwall/devon area had none I guess it bought it down.

There's more expected, my trains are already running late/suspended it's no fun anymore, roll on spring.

Wassalaam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: