// Do you have any suggestions for random quotes?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Knowledge raises the low, but ignorance brings down the mighty. -Ali (RA)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you have any suggestions for random quotes?  (Read 16527 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Feb 07, 2009 07:34 PM »

Salam,

I installed a plugin for random quotes. Please post any quotes we can add. They don't have to be Islamic in nature, just anything interesting or even humorous Cheesy

ws
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2009 10:31 PM »

"If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack. "
Winston Churchill
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2009 06:05 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

MashaAllah, I have to say these random quotes are really beautiful and inspirational

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2009 12:27 PM »

My recent favorite:

It is the providence of knowledge to speak, and it is the privelege of wisdom to listen.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2009 07:00 AM »

Asalamualaikum

MashAllah I absolutely love the random quotes as you probably already know!

Martin Luther King Jr and Abraham Lincoln have really good quotes.

You can search their names in Thinkexist.com
You can pretty much search anyone there.
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2009 11:12 PM »

Live life as if you will live forever, but do ibadah as if you'll die tomorrow.

(-the sheikh on ask huda, the one with the black beard not the one with the orange beard, i have no idea what his name is, and i tried searching but no such luck).
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2009 05:14 AM »

“To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men”
 Abraham Lincoln quote

“Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be.”
 Abraham Lincoln quote

“I walk slowly, but I never walk backward”
 Abraham Lincoln quote

“My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.”
 Abraham Lincoln quote

“When I am getting ready to reason with a man, I spend one-third of my time thinking about myself and what I am going to say and two-thirds about him and what he is going to say.”
 Abraham Lincoln quote

“Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”
 Abraham Lincoln quote

That some achieve great success, is proof to all that others can achieve it as well.”
 Abraham Lincoln quote

“Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
 Abraham Lincoln quote

“A house divided against itself cannot stand.”
 Abraham Lincoln quote

“I am not concerned that you have fallen / I am concerned that you arise.”
 Abraham Lincoln quote

“With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die”
 Abraham Lincoln quote

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2009 05:23 AM »

“In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
 Martin Luther King, Jr. quote

“Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'”

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.”

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

“The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically... Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.”

“The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.”

“Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.”

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”

“Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' But conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but because conscience tells one it is right.”

“It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.”

“Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better.”

“An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.”

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2009 05:59 AM »

“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
 Malcolm X quote

“I have often reflected upon the new vistas that reading opened to me. I knew right there in prison that reading had changed forever the course of my life. As I see it today, the ability to read awoke in me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive.”
 Malcolm X quote

“A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.”
 Muhammad Ali quote

“Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer.”
 Muhammad Ali quote

“What keeps me going is goals.”
 Muhammad Ali quote

“I never thought of losing, but now that it' s happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life.”
 Muhammad Ali quote

“It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself.”
 Muhammad Ali quote

Rehmat
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
Rehmat is not to be trusted!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2009 06:12 PM »

If I were an Arab leader, I would never sign an agreement with Israel. It is normal; we have taken their country. It is true God promised it to us, but how could that interest them? Our God is not theirs. Their have been anti-Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They see but one thing: we have come and we have stolen their country. Why would they accept that? - David Ben Gurion, first prime minister of Zionist entity.
UBAB
Bro

UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2009 07:05 PM »

A man who makes $10,000 a year and saves $1000 is richer than a man who makes $1,000,000 a year and spends $1,000,000

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
UBAB
Bro

UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2009 07:10 PM »

Do you know what happens when you win the rat race?    Huh?

Nothing, you still a rat...  Grin

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2009 12:01 AM »

I have lived a life full of regrets and have never regretted it.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2009 06:06 PM »

salaam

Yayyyy! You put some of the ones that I and others posted. That makes me feel good Smiley

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2009 06:04 PM »

"Do not speak much without mentioning Allah because you will harden your hearts. A hard heart is far from Allah, but you do not know. Do not look at the wrong actions of people as if you were lords. Look to your wrong actions as if you were slaves. Some people are afflicted by wrong action and some people are protected from it. Be merciful to the people of affliction and praise Allah for His protection." - Jesus (Peace be upon him)

wow really nice
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2009 09:05 AM »

You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.

Brian Tracy quote

Leadership is practiced not so much in words as in attitude and in actions.

Harold S. Geneen quote

My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.

Michael Jordan quote

In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it.

Michelangelo quote

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Anonymous quotes

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.

Lao Tzu quote

It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong.

Abraham Lincoln quote

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

Ambrose Redmoon quote

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Winston Churchill quote

Is he alone who has courage on his right hand and faith on his left hand?

Charles Lindbergh quote

Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.

John Fitzgerald Kennedy quote
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2009 09:20 AM »

What this country needs is more people to inspire others with confidence, and fewer people to discourage any initiative in the right direction; more to get into the thick of things, fewer to sit on the sidelines, merely finding fault; more to point out what's right with the world, and fewer to keep harping on what's wrong with it; and more who are interested in lighting candles, and fewer who blow them out.

Anonymous quote

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Abraham Lincoln quote

Long engagements give people the opportunity of finding out each other's character before marriage, which is never advisable.

Oscar Wilde quote

It is possible that the scrupulously honest man may not grow rich so fast as the unscrupulous and dishonest one; but the success will be of a truer kind, earned without fraud or injustice. And even though a man should for a time be unsuccessful, still he must be honest: better lose all and save character. For character is itself a fortune...

Samuel Smiles quote

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2009 07:47 AM »

“This is my wish for you: Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, Love to complete your life.”

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. Christopher Robin to Pooh”

“True friends stab you in the front.”
 Oscar Wilde quote

“Friendship is a treasured gift, and every time I talk with you I feel as if I'm getting richer and richer”

“Are you upset little friend? Have you been lying awake worrying? Well, don't worry...I'm here. The flood waters will recede, the famine will end, the sun will shine tomorrow, and I will always be here to take care of you. -Charlie Brown to Snoopy”

“true friendship isn't about being there when it's convenient; it's about being there when it's not.”

“Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it's all over.”
 Gloria Naylor quote

“They keep saying the right person will come along, I think mine got hit by a truck.”

“A woman has got to love a bad man once or twice in her life, to be thankful for a good one”
 Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings quote

“Why is it that men can be bastards and women must wear pearls and smile?”
 Lynn Hecht Schafren quote

“Men say they love independence in a woman, but they don't waste a second demolishing it brick by brick.”
 Candice Bergen quote

“If you want your dreams to come true, don't sleep”
 Yiddish Proverb quotes

“Never assume the obvious is true.”
 William Safire quote

“A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.”
 Winston Churchill quotes

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2009 08:19 AM »

“Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it”
 Albert Einstein quote

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
 Mahatma Gandhi quotes

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
 Robert McCloskey quot

“I just broke up with someone and the last thing she said to me was "You'll never find anyone like me again!" I'm thinking, "I should hope not! If I don't want you, why would I want someone like you."”

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans”
 John Lennon quotes

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2009 08:34 AM »

“Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.”
 William James quote

“Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations, our possibilities become limitless.”
 Jamie Paolinetti quotes

“We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.”
 MWhitner Calvin & Hobbes quote

“If you only do what you know you can do- you never do very much.”
 meimei Tom Krause quotes

“-You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
-What mood is that?
-Last-minute panic.”
 MWhitner Calvin & Hobbes quote

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.”
 Epicurus quote

“To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are.”
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2009 02:46 PM »

If you want riches [but have no wealth], if you want strength [but have no clan], then move from the humiliation of wrong actions towards the dignity of obedience

Ali ibn Talib

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #21 on: Apr 01, 2009 03:23 PM »

"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich."  - Peter Ustinov

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2009 07:10 AM »

The outset of a wrong is a thought just as the outset of a flood is a drop

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #23 on: Apr 20, 2009 07:13 AM »

We can come to look upon the deaths of our enemies with as much regret as we feel for those of our friends, namely, when we miss their existence as witnesses to our success.
*Schopenhauer

no one is free while others are oppressed

Pretty is something you're born with. But beautiful, that's an equal opportunity adjective.

These are all the best. But this? It's not the best...it's EXCELLENT!

immature love wanting the other person to be happy only when they are with you, mature love is wanting the other person to be happy period.-(van)-(reba show)

Women wish to be loved not because they are pretty, or good, or well bred, or graceful, or intelligent, but because they are themselves.

~Henri Frederic Amiel

'Life is not a problem to be solved, rather a mystery to be Loved.'
Osho

Lester Burnham in the film American Beauty:

"I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me. But it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once... and it's too much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst. And then I remember... to relax, and not try to hold on to it. And then it flows through me like rain. And I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life. You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. Don't worry... you will someday."

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.”
- Mother Theresa

The better part of one's life consists of his friendships.
- Abraham Lincoln

Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not.
-Oprah

True, we are often too weak to stop injustices; but the least we can do is to protest against them. True, we are too poor to eliminate hunger; but in feeding one child, we protest against hunger. True, we are too timid and powerless to take on all the guards of all the political prisons in the world; but in offering our solidarity to one prisoner we denounce all the tormentors. True, we are powerless against death; but as long as we help one man, one woman, one child live one hour longer in safety and dignity, we affirm man's right to live.
-Elie Wiesel

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #24 on: Apr 22, 2009 06:05 AM »

"Obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be Broken." -A.H.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Gandhi

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste"- Marcel Duchamp

“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Gandhi’s seven deadly social sins: “politics without principle, wealth without work, commerce without morality, pleasure without conscience, education without character, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice.”

"There's always gonna be "what if's" !!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: