Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A rakah a rakah! My kingdom for a rakah!'

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bungee Jump  (Read 2669 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Feb 10, 2009 06:47 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Has anyone on the board ever done a bungee jump before?

Would you recommend it?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2009 01:14 PM »

Assalamo elikuim

Are you talking about the one in six flag sort of amusement parks or the one which is done from a cliff ?

My boys(ages 14 & 11) and my husband did it last Sept at Muslim Day at six flags. They all enjoyed it and want to do it again.
I on the other hand dont enjoy these things - I like my feet on the ground Smiley

My son is in school right now, I'll ask him to reply to this thread  .

Wasalam
tq
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2009 04:37 PM »

with the news of the instructor having a heart attack midair - i'm having major second thoughts of ever doing it Smiley
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2009 07:09 PM »

salam

Why would anyone in their right minds wish to consciously hurl themselves off a high place attached to nothing more than a bit of elastic....elastic is for keeping your trousers up, not you!

My advice, have a nice bar of chocolate, put the money aside for something else (anything else), and keep your feet firmly on the ground!!!

Or come back and tell us about the adrenaline rush and we'll live vicariously (and safely), thro you.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
CountlessBlessings
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
CountlessBlessings has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2009 10:01 PM »

A new park opened in the mountains south of Marrakech where they have suspension bridges and zip cords that basically take you over an actual gorge between two mountains. Personally  think that's enough of a thrill for me.  I dunno doing things where you could actually die... seems like a waste.

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2009 04:25 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Okay, I'm sensing a collective no in these answers which is understandable enough.  bro

But what if someone asked you to do a bungee jump for charity (Gaza for example), would that change your mind?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2009 06:13 AM »

Isn't there another saner way of raising funds for Gaza?  Charity has many forms these days hence you don't need to go to such an extreme to do it.

How about a children's competition for one, through Masjids for another, etc.

I was once (September 1999) on a roller coaster in Wonderland, Toronto, Canada with my eldest who was then 12.  My baby boy's (8 at the time) height was not enough for him to be on it.  Anyway, I closed my eyes through the whole experience and when the thing came to a stop, I touched my son's heart to find out if it was still beating.  I looked at his face and he was smiling from ear to ear.  That was enough of a roller coaster experience for me.

Compared to bungee jump, a roller coaster seems tame!  I wouldn't want to see any of kids doing it though, however grown up they might be.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2009 07:49 AM »

I would totally do it. Just as long as my instructor doesn't have heart disease Wink
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2009 09:21 AM »

salam

On a serious note, bungee jumping is completely down to you, it depends on how much of an adrenaline junkie you are, and how much you can cope with.

I wouldn't do it personally, not for charity not at all I'd have to be forcibly tied to the bungee and then pushed off the cliff edge (or wherever), I would not do it voluntarily.

I guess it's a personal preference thing, I don't do amusement parks either.

My boss on the other hand loves doing things like this, so he's very easy to buy gifts for, one year we sent him white water rafting, another his wife sent him parachute jumping etc.

If you want to do it, if the instructer is competant, if the site is fully health and safety certified...... I actually can't bring myself to tell you to go jump off a high place with nothing more than an elastic attached to you....!!!

Take care.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2009 12:23 PM »

As salaamu alaykum
just as an FYI. i was at a Muslim Eid Carnival in NJ a couple of months ago. The line for the portable Bungee Jump was the longest of all the rides/attractions.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2009 01:02 PM »

Yes Yes Yes!!! i would but i need someone to convince my hubby that it's a good idea Smiley

Either bungee jump or a sky dive.......

Baji
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2009 01:42 PM »

Salam alaikum

Br Khalid!  Bunjjeeeee jumping?? oldshaykh just kidding   Wink

I won't do it even if you paid me, unfortunately, as there are 2 main obstacles I would face:

1: I have a fear of heights (ok, u say, that can be solved by jumping down to a lesser height? right? Cheesy)

2: more NB: the bobbing around, up-and-down, up-and-down, up-and-down, up-and-down would seriously nauseate me and the mere thought of it freaks me out to no end... Shocked

BTW, Southern Africa has some amazing bunjee jumping sights...so if you're gonna do it, then why not here, where the scenary is spectacular!  Smiley

Let us know what you decide

Salam
S.
p.s i only saw the "jumping for gaza" charity add-on...I dunno, maybe maybe if someone went with me?
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2009 09:32 AM »

salam

What like tandem bungee jumping, as they do with sky diving.....Huh??

I'd enter a charidee chocolate eating contest....

Wassalaam

Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2009 09:59 AM »

Salam

Yeah, haha, you can jump with someone. Tandem bunjee jumping.... ok, so I think I'll join you on that chocoate eating charity drive...goooo chocholate!

Kudos to those who have the nerve for the adrenalin-packed activities.  You wouldnt even see me on the teacup thingie at amusement parks! Wink

Salam

salam

What like tandem bungee jumping, as they do with sky diving.....Huh??

I'd enter a charidee chocolate eating contest....

Wassalaam
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2009 07:42 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

BTW, Southern Africa has some amazing bunjee jumping sights...so if you're gonna do it, then why not here, where the scenary is spectacular!

Indeed, we have a close family friend from Cape Town who keeps telling us about all these bungee jumping sights in South Africa so who knows…one day….

As for this time around, the logistics didn’t pan out so my feet stayed well and truly on solid ground.

I guess you’ll have to add me in to that chocolate eating contest (assuming you guys haven’t already finished all the chocolate!!)  bro

Has anyone done anything a bit far out for charity I wonder?

Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2009 01:49 PM »

Salaams,

I think bungee jumping has to be the pansiest adventure ever. Like you have no control over where you are gonna go... you jump down, you swing left and right, then you oscillate... I mean come on, is that an adventure even or letting gravity pw3ning you totally.

Skiing, water surfing or water scooter riding is the way to go... Ask auntie Halima if you dont trust me.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: