Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Apr 18, 2014 04:00 AM

News:

Now playing: Famous Muslim literary quotes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Love in a Headscarf by Shelina Zahra Janmohamed  (Read 7877 times)
CambridgeSister
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
CambridgeSister has no influence :(

« on: Feb 19, 2009 08:13 AM »

Salam,

was wondering if anyone has read this book and do they have any reviews? I think its a Muslim style meet Mr Right, move over Bridgette Jones meet Elizabeth Bennett style with a hijab.

http://www.loveinaheadscarf.com/

Shelina is keeping a very surprising secret under her headscarf – she wants to fall in love and find her faith.

Torn between the Buxom Aunties, romantic comedies and mosque Imams, she decides to follow the arranged-marriage route to finding Mr Right, Muslim-style. Shelina's captivating journey begins as a search for the One, but along the way she also discovers her faith and herself.

A memoir with a hilarious twist from one of Britain's leading female Muslim writers, Love in a Headscarf is an entertaining, fresh and unmissable insight into what it means to be a young British Muslim woman.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1149280/Bridget-Jones-easy-It-took-years-The-One-arranged-Muslim-marriage.html
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2009 09:15 AM »

Salam,

was wondering if anyone has read this book and do they have any reviews? I think its a Muslim style meet Mr Right, move over Bridgette Jones meet Elizabeth Bennett style with a hijab.

I would love to read it and wish I could get my hands on it!

Torn between the Buxom Aunties, romantic comedies and mosque Imams, ...

Aptly described.

"At the age of thirteen, I knew I was destined to marry John Travolta.  One day he would arrive on my North London doorstep, fall madly in love with me and ask me to marry him. Then he would convert to Islam and become a devoted Muslim."

Oh my!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2009 02:37 PM »

I would love to read it and wish I could get my hands on it!

I just found it on e-bay, if you're interested...

http://books.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=love+in+a+headscarf&_sacat=267
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2009 05:56 PM »

How about in the US?

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
rahma
Sis

rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2009 07:13 PM »

How about in the US?

You can still get it thru e-bay.  You might have to pay thru paypal...
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2009 11:23 PM »

Never bought anything from overseas. What about customs?

rahma
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2009 12:10 AM »

Assalaamu Alaykum, sis.

I've bought several items from e-bay from other countries over the years.  If you pay with pay pal, they convert the money for you.  I've never had to worry about customs or anything.  The person just ships you that package.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2009 07:56 PM »

salam

Amazon sells it, but the UK one not the US site.

Customs is pretty much hit and miss isnt it, I bought a pair of uggs recently which came thro fine, I bought something else from the US a while before and it was flagged up I paid a small amount to get it released, still cheaper than buying from a UK supplier.

In the UK, books are zero rated for VAT, so you won't be paying any tax on the english end, are US books subject to taxation? That's a bit mean.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2009 07:42 AM »

Love in a Headscarf

Interview With Author Shelina Zahra

By  Emdad Rahman

UK Correspondent

"Through my book I have attempted to give ‘love’ a platform, and to allow open and honest discussion..."

Shelina Zahra Janmohamed is keeping a very surprising secret under her headscarf – she wants to fall in love and find her faith.

Torn between the Buxom Aunties, romantic comedies and mosque Imams, she decided to follow the arranged-marriage route to find Mr. Right, Muslim-style. Shelina's captivating journey begins as a search to find herself, her faith and love.

Shelina got the idea of writing her book Love in a Headscarf after toying with the idea of portraying and telling a story based on being a Muslim woman. Thinking global, Shelina focused on the most universal story of love.

“Love has been hijacked by so called romantic comedies and satires – a taboo subject in our Muslim Asian communities,” Shelina told IslamOnline.

“Through my book I have attempted to give ‘love’ a platform, and to allow open and honest discussion.   There is considerable pressure on Muslim Asian women to conform to certain standards and expectations and it is important that someone puts forward the female point of view.” She added.

In a nutshell, Love in a Headscarf is the story of an Asian Muslim woman’s search for the divine love, described very poetically by the Author as; “seeking divine love through the medium of mundane worldly love.”
The Contradictions of Culture and Faith

Fed up of seeing the constant barrage of 'misery memoirs' about Muslim women, with images of veiled women and words like 'kidnapped' 'oppressed' or 'slavery', Shelina decided to take matters into her own hand  and convey the universal, human and often hilarious experiences of being a British Asian Muslim woman.
Her story starts right from the subversive pink and purple cover of the book featuring a stylish Audrey Hepburn-esque hijab-wearing Muslim woman, and takes the readers through the humorous anecdotes unravelling the contradictions of culture and faith.

"Is it hot under there?" She is asked about wearing her headscarf. "Do you wear it to bed?" Her humour is tempered when faced with the events of 9/11 and she declares to those who choose to stereotype her and other Muslims into little boxes that she is 'none of the above.”

In a nutshell, Love in a Headscarf is the story of an Asian Muslim woman’s search for ‘the One,’ described very poetically by the author as; “seeking divine love through the medium of mundane worldly love.”

Shelina feels that there is not enough open discussion on divine love and is asked to offer her understanding of this notion.

Shelina quotes; [ Allah says that you cannot find Him anywhere in the universe, except in the heart of the believer]  “This,” she says, “indicates quite clearly that there is a direct connection between the Divine and the love that lies in the heart of the human being.”

She adds; “the spiritual quest for divine love is vital."

“Again, there is a very direct connection between a human being and the Creator.”

This is Shelina’s debut novel and naturally she is very enthused about its launch on Valentine's day.

“Everyone around me, including myself was very excited about the book, especially those who share the same affinity. The launch and subsequent sale of the novel will ultimately say a lot more about the reaction and thoughts of mainstream Muslims.”

Shelina signed copies of her book after the launch event, hosted by the City Circle. Headscarves, humour, modern angst and of course a discussion about love just in time for the notorious Valentine's day would all be served up for a feisty discussion with the audience.

And of course, we must remember love. What kind of love should we be looking for? Does romantic love conflict with Divine love? And what is Divine love anyway? This was a timely discussion on that day to provoke thinking about whether Muslims have forgotten love, and if they need to recapture it.

At the time of writing Love in a Headscarf   has rocketed up the sales chart and is number on the Amazon sales list – an awesome achievement for any author, new or renowned.

Shelina writes columns for EMEL magazine and The Muslim News and regularly contributes to the Guardian, the BBC and Channel 4.

She is much in demand as a commentator on radio and television and has appeared on programmes including Newsnight and The Heaven and Earth Show.

Her award-winning blog, Spirit21, is hugely popular. Love in a Headscarf is her first book.

A Human Story

Love in a headscarf is a very human story. It is a witty, sharp account of a Muslim woman who does not see herself ‘oppressed.’ The book is most certainly not a chick only read, but is very likely to appeal to a wider range of readers. It is skillfully written to gain the interest of both men and women.

Detractors may point to the novel of just another humorous account of a discussion on arranged marriage. Those who do so are placing theuthor in a box and very clearly missing the point. In turn, they completely miss or ignore the writer's spiritual quest for divine love.

Asked if she faces any negativity or opposition, Shelina is realistic; “You can’t please everyone. I wanted for a short period to veer away from the story of the ‘subjugated’ Muslim woman. Some people may say that I am taken away from oppressed women, who so need your attention and constant support."

It is precisely the lack of understanding regarding the appeal of a happy successful story that reason why Shelina was turned down by other publishers.

“Muslims themselves may feel that it is shameful to discuss issues pertaining to marriage, but it still does not rebut the fact that it is important for us to do so.

“Muslim women are too often pigeonholed as second class, subjugated humans. This is a lighthearted read and I am simply highlighting variety in our lives.”

Many people see Islam as a connection with fellow humans and Shelina’s book will join with readers on a human level, and will help many others understand and refine their ideas of Islam and Muslim women and provide an opportunity for the reader to beam and delight at the sharing of daily experiences.

This is a delightful read, a memoir with a hilarious twist from one of Europe's foremost female Muslim writers. Love in a Headscarf is a novel that is entertaining and zesty. It provides a wonderful insight into what it means to be a young British Muslim woman.

a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2009 11:28 PM »

Has anyone here read this book? Is it any good? To buy or not to buy?
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2009 03:45 PM »

salam

Okaaay,

So I read this book.

It basically details the authors journey to find her Mr Right.

My favourite part were the Rishta's detailed, does anyone remember a few years ago, the sisters posted stories of wierd and wonderful rishtas that had happened to them?

The book tries intergrates Quranic teachings and the sunnah wihin the plot line, occassionally it feels a bit preachy, for this reason I thin kthe audience will be limited to Muslims, it won't be as appealing for non-muslims.

I like the ending tho.

Sr. Kathy are you still looking for a copy?

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2009 04:39 PM »

yep!

The Humble Muslim
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
The Humble Muslim has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2009 05:31 PM »

Salam

My 16 year old and 11 year old girsl are big readers.  Would this be suitable for them?
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2009 07:30 PM »

salam

The first part is funny, your younger child might find it a bit tedious in parts but I don't see why you shouldn get it for them. I think it puts expectations and the search for a life partner into perspective, which is not a bad thing

Salam

My 16 year old and 11 year old girsl are big readers.  Would this be suitable for them?

Wassalaam

Sr.Kathy
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2009 08:21 PM »

As salaamu alaykum Fozia!!!

The book came today... how wonderful!
That was really sweet of you. On behalf of our masjid's library I want to thank you. Jazak Allahou Khyra

Kiss And.... thanks for the chocolate! I can't believe it made it in one piece and not crumbled or melted. I was soaking my hand when the package came and asked my hubby (the original choco-holic) to open it...not knowing that there were delightful pieces of confection inside. You should have seen his eyes light up. arabbeardbro

LOL... Allah swt has his ways... good thing i was soaking...and my hubby was there.... because i am not sure it would have been shared.... Wink

He had a bar for Suhoor this morning.... May you be rewarded for that too!

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2009 08:56 PM »

salam

I'm so glad the packet arrived safely. We've had postal strikes here, so I was getting a bit worried!

I was rushed when sending out the book to you, and then I remembered a thread on here a while ago about not having cadbury's chocolate over there, I did get the ones I thought would be OK even if they broke (hence none with gooey fillings), my experience of overseas post is that the air mail tends to be put in the coldest part of the plane so I was hoping it would not melt (am very impressed it arrived in one piece tho!).

If you'd have posted your Ramadan diary a bit earlier I'd have sent you an English brooch (pin), I work in shopping central. Next time Inshallah.

I was a bit worried about customs tho, a friend sent a picture frame in which she'd planted grass (the regular normal stuff that you grow on your lawn), customs confiscated and destroyed it.....friend regaled me of this tale after I had sent the packet out, man did I pray customs would be reasonable with the confectionary after that!!!!!

Very glad you guys like chocolate!!! I live on the stuff myself.

Hope the book is well received over there. Hope your hand feels better soon.

As always remember my girls and me in your duas inshallah.

Wassalaam

Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2011 10:07 AM »

Photos of ‘Love in a Headscarf’ Discussion @ Shj Intl Book Fair http://www.jaihoon.com/4785.htm

Author's blog http://www.spirit21.co.uk/category/blog/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: