Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 19, 2014 06:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: All the world's a kabob truck.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fashion Files [for Sisters]  (Read 20293 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2008 04:58 AM »

More designer bridal wear...
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2008 05:00 AM »

Too bad weddings are only once a lifetime, imagine wearing all this awesome stuff all the time!
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2008 05:04 AM »

Mo...

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2008 05:07 AM »

And this is the last bit...
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2008 05:08 AM »

the end for a lil while at least Wink
kba
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
kba has no influence :(

« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2008 05:38 PM »

salam
I have gone through all the pictures...  Oh yes I did hear gold prices have jumped up.  I wonder if people will get silver instead.

So my sister is getting married in Pakistan.  She is there now.  They are asking me what I want, or to describe what they should make for me because since I am working, I will not be there enough time to buy something and attend her wedding too.

I think the whole thing will not be 100% segregated so most likely will need to have hijab.  So my issue is I think that most desi type styles are not catered to go well with the hijab, or at least where you don't feel like you have to keep adjusting yourself.  I was wondering if there are any fashion pics out there of designs catered to the hijab clad lady, or ideas of what I can do to make it work.  Making the basic hijab (triangle or rectangle) with a material that matches is not a problem, it is just more the whole look of the outfit.

Usually tailors are good at making something from a picture, rather than designs/patterns they already have, but it can be a risk because the end product might not always be correct.  BUT it will still help to have those pictures to give those who will be shopping for me an idea.

I do not like to draw much attention to myself, and prefer more neutral colors, as opposed to say highlighter extreme bright colors lol.  and low maintenance is always good. 

I will check out some of the websites mentioned in this thread, but please feel free to share pictures and ideas for desi fashion combined with hijab, long sleeve, no low neck, etc...

THANKS in advanace.

kba
Sis

« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2008 08:36 PM »

One idea for an outfit I got is a high neck.  I like the black and gold design the best.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2008 08:46 PM »

wsalaam,

Ohhh congrats on ur sis!!  princesssis Well it's definitely difficult to hijabify stuff but here's what I've usually seen. On a lengha or shalwar kameez material is bought that matches and someone just wears it as a regular triangle scarf. Then the dupatta is draped over one shoulder straight down. So it's like the outfit with regular hijab.

I've also seen those tight almira/sock hijabs (u know that are two piece usually), the underscarf part of it is put on and then the dupatta is draped over it. This looks really nice for brides, but since it's your sisters wedding you want to avoid looking like the bride so dupatta over the head like that looks really bridal.

Another thing I've seen is the dupatta taken and draped really fancy in the hijab style. This is difficult and requires a lot of pins and is definitely annoying, but hey you gotta look good right!

In this thread somewhere are some hijabi pictures. Also I had some malaysian sisters outfits. They do hijab amazingly well. I'll post them inshaAllah.

When they buy something for you make sure you tell them it has to be long sleeve, no 3/4 1/2 sleeve, for some reason they do that and that the neck isn't too low. Ask them to get material that matches for a hijab. Square or long rectangle, I think the rectangle looks better. Aren't there any hijabis in pak?? Ok let me go find some pics inshallah Smiley
kba
Sis

« Reply #33 on: Feb 03, 2008 09:12 PM »

Maybe I will go for rectangle.  I could get the rectangle to match whatever is that is made.  I could try tying/draping in fancy style.  Maybe I can learn how to do it ahead of time, that way it wont fall off at the wedding lol.

I think I remember the post of the sis with the fancy 3 outfits and hijab.  Those are good, just maybe too intricate.  Usually desi weddings in the West, I noticed people get very decked out (like lots of dubka work etc), but those outfits will be too dressy for a wedding in Pakistan.   Well not all of Pakistan, but just the ones I have been to, at least in the family.  But I can at least look at the hijab style.

When they buy something for you make sure you tell them it has to be long sleeve, no 3/4 1/2 sleeve, for some reason they do that and that the neck isn't too low. Ask them to get material that matches for a hijab. Square or long rectangle, I think the rectangle looks better. Aren't there any hijabis in pak?? Ok let me go find some pics inshallah Smiley

LOL YEAH.  Once I was like what's the deal with the neck.. they said oh your jewelry wont show. I said yeah I am not too worried about that Tongue
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #34 on: Feb 04, 2008 06:22 AM »

wsalam,

yeah they're all about the jewelery! we had to fight with the tailors all the time to get them to make long sleeves they still just didn't get it so now alot of shalwar kameez's i have i have to wear something underneath cuz it's like 3/4. they have those lace sleeve things but i hate those.

anyways here's some pics of the malaysian brides. it's like they put a really tight scarf on underneath and then the dupatta sheer thing over it. they look amazing. i think u could do the same but take the dupatta and put it over one shoulder like. at my brothers wedding i had this beautiful sparkly lengha that was salmonish in color and ughhh it took a long time to find scarf material for it!!! i went to tons of fabric stores all over, finally found one that was somewhat the color and it was shineyish but stiff material. So i wore that as a scarf and then draped the dupatta like sari style...like wrapped it around the waist then bring it up the back and around to the front where it spreads out all nice and i think that turned out really well!

if u like black and silver what about something like this but with a long sleeve top and silver hijab?

nooners
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
nooners has no influence :(

« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2008 02:57 AM »

more algerian/moroccan ....

nooners
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
nooners has no influence :(

« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2008 03:00 AM »

kba
Sis

« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2008 09:36 AM »

Thanks J,  those Malaysian sisters know how to dress up  sis

I will add them to what I will send my sister to look out for. or see what a taylor could do.  I probably have to end up getting 2 outfits.  I realize when working full time, you dont get much of a life, at least during the weekdays. 

I will browse some more as well and share my findings.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2008 09:23 PM »

Speaking of gorgeous caftans.......... This one morroccan princess has the most AMAZING caftan collection. They are sooo unbelievably beautiful. Here's some I found online:

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #39 on: Feb 16, 2008 09:26 PM »

More of princess caftan collection and other moroccan fashions.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #40 on: Mar 15, 2008 12:19 AM »

I thought these were cute from the Fall 2008 Indian Fashion Week shows. Note that these are couture not ready-to-wear. You can find all the collections here: http://highheelconfidential.blogspot.com/

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #41 on: Mar 15, 2008 12:21 AM »

More from Fall 2008
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2008 05:33 PM »

How does a non-Indian woman have the most beautiful Indian clothes! Ahhhhhhhhhh we all need to marry billionaire industrialists from India

se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2008 02:33 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

So my issue is I think that most desi type styles are not catered to go well with the hijab, or at least where you don't feel like you have to keep adjusting yourself.

kba I totally know what u mean!  I actually really hate the shalwar qamees, somehow the pajama-pants of the outfit always end up looking dumb on me (I think because of my height/body type?), and they also look pretty silly if you are not wearing high-heeled sandals (which I don't usually do because I'm 5'6" and Shafii! Tongue)  I much prefer the Malaysian style outfits, with the long top and coordinating skirt... 

I recently visited Pakistan (my first time *ever*, to visit my husband's family and to attend his cousin's wedding... it was a very interesting experience) and one style I saw that actually looks very elegant and nice with hijab is a sari... they're never out of fashion and you can find some really beautiful ones, with very delicate work and in pretty colors... one of my husband's relatives wore this beautiful sari that kind of transitioned from a light blue to a darker blue towards the bottom, and it had sort of a dull/antique gold work on it... it was so elegant and beautiful.  They're also easy to 'hijabify' if you get the blouse made to be full sleeve and to the waist.... you just need a simple hijab in a nice fabric to go with it and voila Smiley  you're a hijabi fashionista Wink

tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008 03:16 PM »

Salam
Sr.Seven for me its opposite, I look better(OK my opnion Smiley) in shalwar qameez then in hijabized western clothes (I look like a square when I wear hijab with sari Smiley although I love sari but not on me Smiley).
Its much easier and looks nice to wear dupatta on your head then hijab since they are matching with shalwar qameez and you dont have to wear another hijab and also you can get your suits stiched in lighter material/colors for summer .
I really need some clothes for my work. I have been searching online but most of them are either toooo expensive or too dull (even for old person like me Smiley )  help!

Wasalam
tq

PS:Sr.Seven, how did you like Pakistan, where did you go?
PS:Sr.KBA are you going to almaghrib course at Ga Tech this weekend ?
kba
Sis

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2008 01:52 PM »

tq I am going inshAllah.  What is your name? You could private message me.

I like sari, but I am short, it seems to look better on taller women or its my self-perception.

I think it just depends whether the western or eastern style is better, I think it depends on the style and cut, and coordination.

For work clothes, the best you can do is try to modify and put things together.  you could get pants that will have the wider bottom, the top will still be tight but you can get a longer shirt.  If the shirt is short sleeve, try wearing the arm thing or a light layer underneath.

oh wow I gotta run to work but ill try to write more later

tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2008 02:06 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
kBA : Unfortunately I will not be attending it (two small kids and one husband Smiley plus out of town guests) but I will be there to drop my oldest so Inshallah I will look out for you. I 'll send you a message now .

Yes sari definitely look nice on taller women (I am short ). Actually finding full sleeves long shirts is tough. I know some sisters wear full sleeves tees underneath, but most of the time the wheather here is pretty warm .
Wasalam
tq(Tamseel)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: