Madinat al-Muslimeen Community -  Job Interview Tips for Muslims - 2009 Remix Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 24, 2014 08:27 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: To biryani, or not to biryani.

+  Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
|-+  Sis/Bros
| |-+  The Brother's Club Hangout
| | |-+  Job Interview Tips for Muslims - 2009 Remix
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job Interview Tips for Muslims - 2009 Remix  (Read 1774 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reps: 37

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: Feb 19, 2009 05:25 PM »

Here are some additional Job tips for all, updated for 2009:

(Please refer to the original thread to get you started ... Madinat al-Muslimeen > Sis/Bros > The Brother's Club Hangout > Job Interview Tips for Muslim Men)

General:

Electronic file submission – if you are giving them a file of your resume, name it appropriately. Have your name and phone number and job # as the file name

Example

Mohammed-Ali- 518-274-0137-Senior Engineer-Job 786A.doc

This way they don’t have to open the file to get your contact number.

Cover Letter Tips

You have 10-15 seconds to show the prospective employer your skills - don't give them a sob story - give them results.

I have provided a cover letter that I have used. It’s actually a table (See the attachment)

The Left column has all the requirements that job is looking for and the right column has your qualifications *Matching* the requirements. These qualifications must be also scattered throughout the resume. It’s a tool to bring attention to the fact that you are qualified to do the job.

This technique gets you noticed when competing against 10s of thousand of resumes.

If you cannot fill more than 70% of the requirements, re-consider applying for this position.

Resume Tips

The resume should answer this basic question: What did you accomplish??
Do not use the word “managed” - it means nothing

One my first engineering roles we have a large project with many issues that I had to resolved across many disciplines – these are the lines I used:

Resolved the project deficiency list from over 10,000-post start up items down to 1 in less than 6 months.

Successfully accelerated the project closeout process and ensured that there was minimal out-of-scope work required to satisfy client’s requirements

Mashallah, it gets me the interview all the time, as interviewers want to know more about this.

Two School of thought on the beginning part of the resume

My experience is that the first 3 inches of the resume is the most important – use it well. Frankly, I don’t care what you aspire to be or what your objectives are – this is the area to promote your qualifications.

Instead of objectives: Try this:

Summary of Qualifications
Quality, Engineering and Validation project manager with extensive experience in heavily regulated industries. Proven ability to lead project validation, engineering and commissioning teams using problem-solving and decision-making skills in the following areas: 
•   Formal Project Management Training & Experience
•   GAMP,  GMP and QSR Experience
•   Root Cause Investigations
•   Validation Master Planning
•   Experience with internal and external audit processes
•   Corrective Action Preventative Action

Next

If you are education heavy – list key degree first
If you are experience heavy, list most relevant job experience first.

Don’t call it Work Experience, use  Professional Experience instead

The most valuable real estate on the resume is the left hand side – and usually we waste it with useless info, instead, use this format instead:

Company name on the left
Job Title
One Line description of work
List year(s)  of employment on right hand side – give years only – most don’t care which months you worked at different places.

Example

Cantel Medical, City, State   2006 to Present
Project Manager - Solid Dose Operations
Experience in leading successful projects from inception through to completion with extremely vertical timelines to meet market, safety and regulatory needs

Finally list any on the job training and Professional Associations or Chapters you are part of

Example:
ISPE - International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineers - Member

INTERVIEWS THEMSELVES

Bros - Do not provide any additional information than necessary

Never Mention your *MOSLEM* - never ask for special accommodation - I have been working for many years mash Allah - they never bothered me about prayer. If you know they don’t have wudu facilities – use the washroom and do wudu  before you go to work – pray zuhr asap (at the earliest time) and then use the washroom and pray asr at home. Or use the handicap washroom – if they have one – and pray in the first aid room, if possible.

Take your lunch later so it fits the Jumaah times.

Please, please, please – you know your self better than anyone =  Grooming is the most important part of the interview:

If you know you are jungly – please address this right away – that the heck does that mean?

Bros, if your hair grows faster than Chia pet – please arrange for a hair cut as close to the interview as possible.

Dry cleaning is not a waste of money! Creases in the pants and shirt arms means that you pay attention to detail (aka the creases that are supposed to be there - not the wrinkly type !)

Jeans are not cool – you must always dress one degree above your perspective colleagues – if they wear pants and shirt – you have to wear a tie, if they wear a tie, you have to have a blazer. But if it’s a grease monkey shop and you come with a suit – chances are you won’t get the job.

If you don’t know the answer right way, say, that’s a good question before answering – those few second may give you the ability to come up with the answer, if not, tell them the truth.

Confidence – if you need any confidence booster – remember this – You have something every special – that other don’t have:
You are part of the best Ummah in the World, when you die, you will be the first group to enter Jannah, inshallah.

Anyways, if I have offended anyone, please forgive me, that was not my intention

As-salama-mu-alaikum

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Madinat al-Muslimeen Community - Job Interview Tips for Muslims - 2009 Remix

Nostalgia racing theme by © Mustang forum. Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines