Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Mosque of Djenné - Mali  (Read 3806 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Feb 22, 2009 03:54 PM »

My interest in this was piqued by an article I read in Msafiri - the Kenya Airways in-flight Magazine. Enjoy!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The mosque in Djenne dominates the village, overshadowing all the other mud-brick structures built in the Sudanic style. When we were in Djenne, the huge mosque's mud walls still had not been resurfaced. Every year after the rainy seasons the villagers take great pride in participating in this ritual, keeping the world's largest mud structure repaired. The wooden posts adorning the sides enable workers to climb up the massive building during the restoration process. The June 2001 issue of National Geographic details the restoration of the mosque.

http://www.sacredsites.com/africa/mali/djenne.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mosque_of_Djenn%C3%A9

http://homepage.mac.com/melissaenderle/mali/pages/mosqueside.html

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2009 10:39 PM »

salam,

gorgeous would love to go there one day...i think that was the same mosque with the controversy over some haute couture european fashion shoot hosted there. i think the people there were upset about it but the imam was like it's not a big deal.... thought that was interesting... some people can get very touchy about the subject. i know the NYC islamic center is rented out for different events as well.

ws
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2009 01:19 PM »

To me it looks like a torture prison.
Where is the beauty?
This is a serious question- enlighten me- is it a special art form?

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2009 01:56 PM »

Sr. Kathy,

In Mali, most dwellings are constructed this way. This is their architecture..just like how we have 'Victorian', Greek Revival.., Roman.. Etc. They use what wood they have and then clay. They have to coat these buildings with fresh layers of clay almost every year I believe. There was a really good TV show on some cable of public access channel about a year ago about Djenne.

Plus like they say...Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One mans art is another man's..... I dunno..but something not art Smiley Personally, I think it's quite lovely as well.

much love
timbuktu
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2009 02:56 PM »

peace be upon you

It looks beautiful to me, and practical - keeps the sand out and must be cool inside, too.

It is amazing that cultures have used whatever is locally available to create functional and (in my view) beautiful buildings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: