below is a video of Madaine Swaleh (as) in English. Following this inshaAllah, I will post others, one is in Urdu, and then another one in english.
Why am I posting these here is because:
1. So far there is no separate section for such videos, and 2. There are lessons to be learnt by us from these videos, and these lessons are Islamic lessons.
These people were Nabateans, and sometimes the Nabatean land is called the Nabatean Empire. There was not so much an Empire as a loose conglemarate of independent cities along the trade route from Yemen to Syria. At the end there indeed was a king in Petra, who surrendered to the Romans, whereas earlier the Romans had come to grief by the desert.
There are bits about Petra and Madine Saleh that I do not understand. I will post a couple of stills and ask the questions there, inshaAllah.
1. Were these halls (cut into rock) dwellings or tombs?
2. Almost everyone refers to them as tombs. But if these are tombs, where did the people live?
3. Even before the start of this video, you can see rectangular shaped shelves in the walls. These are for placing the bodies. At the foot of the walls you can see somewhat raised structures; these maybe the graves, but not all such halls have such graves, although the rectangular shelves are there.
4. Did they find any bodies of Nabateans in these tombs?
These are the questions that puzzle me.