// Madain Saleh: The Thamud
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Patience: The Prophet said: 'No one can give a better or more abundant gift than patience.' (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Madain Saleh: The Thamud  (Read 3606 times)
timbuktu
« on: Feb 24, 2009 06:26 AM »

peace be upon you

below is a video of Madaine Swaleh (as) in English. Following this inshaAllah, I will post others, one is in Urdu, and then another one in english.

Why am I posting these here is because:

1. So far there is no separate section for such videos, and 2. There are lessons to be learnt by us from these videos, and these lessons are Islamic lessons.

These people were Nabateans, and sometimes the Nabatean land is called the Nabatean Empire. There was not so much an Empire as a loose conglemarate of independent cities along the trade route from Yemen to Syria. At the end there indeed was a king in Petra, who surrendered to the Romans, whereas earlier the Romans had come to grief by the desert.

There are bits about Petra and Madine Saleh that I do not understand. I will post a couple of stills and ask the questions there, inshaAllah.

1. Were these halls (cut into rock) dwellings or tombs?

2. Almost everyone refers to them as tombs. But if these are tombs, where did the people live?

3. Even before the start of this video, you can see rectangular shaped shelves in the walls. These are for placing the bodies. At the foot of the walls you can see somewhat raised structures; these maybe the graves, but not all such halls have such graves, although the rectangular shelves are there.

4. Did they find any bodies of Nabateans in these tombs?

These are the questions that puzzle me.
timbuktu
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2009 06:42 AM »

peace be upon you

As promised, here are two stills: One shows what may be graves, the other is marked three graves but these cannot be graves. These are mini chambers cut into the walls of a bigger hall (or tomb). These may be for placing statues. Were any statues found in these? There is none now.

These halls do appear to be family tombs. The bodies may have been placed in the shelves for the family and mourners to pay respects. What was done with the remains is not clear to me. In a few halls there are signs of raised graves(?), but I have yet to read of bodies. Simialarly, there are mini-chambers but I have yet to read of statues being found in one of the halls.

There were some other halls with benches cut into them. In Petra, there were even sinks outside these halls. These halls may be called funeral restaurants. Looks like the mourners were fed in these restaurants.
timbuktu
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2009 06:51 AM »

peace be upon you

a couple more pictures: graves cut into walls and mini-chambers. Why were the (burial?) graves found only in some tombs?
timbuktu
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2009 06:58 AM »

peace be upon you

yet another picture. The niche cut into the wall is without doubt one for one of the statues of deities the Nabateans worshipped.

and one of the promised videos:

timbuktu
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2009 07:39 AM »

peace be upon you

More on the graves. There is no mention of having ever been a wall to close these cuts in the walls and the mini-chambers. Hence I am not sure if these can be called graves.

Anyway, the last video. This one in Urdu, with verses from the Quran:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: