Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Friends, Rumi, countrymen, lend me your poetry.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Came from a Janaza...  (Read 1298 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: Mar 24, 2009 10:14 PM »

As-salam-mu-alaikum,

inna lillahe wa inna ilehi rajeoon

Just came from a Janazah, where a husband buried his wife who died of cancer on Sunday.

As soon as she was buried, he gave a small talk about her in front of her grave, which I wanted to share with you:

"
Buried here is my wife

She was a very pious lady

She never missed Fajr prayer

She never missed any of her prayers

She always read the Quran at night

Whenever I would wake up and go to the washroom (to do wudu), she would wake up and go to the kitchen

Whenever I finished my prayers, always sitting beside me was a hot cup of tea - it didn't matter how late it was - she aways prepared tea for me so that I could pray late into the night

She wasn't that outgoing, but she really loved her kids and through them expressed her love of the deen

This is the final resting place for all of us.

I have to ask you, if she has said anything or did anything to upset you, I ask on her behalf for your forgiveness. May Allah forgive any of her sins, and grant her Jannatul firdous
"

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2009 10:17 PM »

That's very beautiful ma'shallah. Inna lillah wa inna ilaihi rajeoon. May Allah bless her and have mercy on her and make it easier for her family.

Went to a janaza recently as well... here are my thoughts:

I attended a funeral yesterday on a very very cold day in March. My car has been acting up by starting to smoke after exactly 25 minutes of driving. (Bad car doesn’t know smoking is bad for it’s health!) So my brother bought something in a can that I put in the radiator and voila it didn’t smoke all the way to work. InshaAllah it stays that way although the scary red “Check Engine” light is still on. So now that my car was fixed it was providence to attend this funeral.

The sister who passed away was old, probably in her 60s or 70s. She had come here with her husband and sons a number of years ago from let’s say Bakhome-istan. The family owned a local ‘quicki mart store’ in our community and she sometimes worked there along with her husband who was there everyday. Her gnarled old hands wrung up the items one by one and she never spoke a word of English. He too unfortunately is in the hospital right now and probably won’t recover. Her sons are grown and one lived there above the store with his family and kids and I think they lived there as well. The store is not in the best part of town but it is across the street from our inner city Masjid so got brisk business. It was probably the first time in history that the windows were darkened and the shop was closed up.

The Janazah had maybe a little over 100 people who came. A handful of family, 2 grandkids, some ppl from their country, some kids who came over from the school who had the grandkids in their classes, some who got the email from the listserv about a Janazah today. The service after Asr was very short. They brought the body in a white glossy coffin. We prayed the 4 Takbeerat and then it was over. They lifted her up and took her back to the hearst and most of the men went out with it. They plan to send the body back to her home to be buried.

I wrapped up and went back to my car around 7 and drove home alone.

I found this to be the saddest saddest funeral I’ve ever attended. A woman who traveled so far from her homeland in the hopes of a better life for her children and her children’s children. Who still are struggling and visibly hovering above poverty. I mean what did they come here for? I see so many of these struggling immigrants especially nowadays up here and especially in places like New York city. Anonymous, androgynous, working working middle class, barely scraping a living, their kids half way cultural half way in the shadows. Friendless but trying so hard to stick with their cultural kind. Praying regularly in the inner-city mosque. And now she’s dead and being sent back to her country to be buried.

What does it all mean? What did her life mean?
I don’t know. May Allah have mercy upon her soul and enter her into Jannatul firdous. Ameen.
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2009 11:12 PM »

Sister Jannah,

I don't want to sound too much like an engineer, but are we not born for a specific purpose and reason? Will we not die when we have accomplished whatever it was to be accomplished?

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2009 06:05 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum

but are we not born for a specific purpose and reason?

Unfortunately, it is far too easy to forget about that in this helter skelter world of ours.

There's a quote from the Random quotes section which talks about us sleepwalking through our lives and only really waking up when we die. I always find going to a Janaza helps 'wake' me up a little.

May Allah bless her and have mercy on her and make it easier for her family

Ameen

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2009 07:25 AM »

Sister Jannah,

I don't want to sound too much like an engineer, but are we not born for a specific purpose and reason? Will we not die when we have accomplished whatever it was to be accomplished?

We were born to worship Allah. Whether we have accomplished that or not remains to be seen. The above was just random commentary on the difficult lives of immigrants who come to the US in search of 'better lives' for themselves and their children. Do they find that or not, is the difficulty and sacrifice of their life here worth it? Will anyone remember her and her life? Just random thoughts don't take anything from it...I was just rambling... Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: