Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 17, 2014 01:42 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: All the world's a dars.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modest dressing, American Muslim Style  (Read 9378 times)
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« on: Jan 16, 2008 04:50 AM »

http://www.modestclothing.com/cgi-bin/group.pl?id=26

My favs being
corduroy tiered skirt
Dakota Skirt

I really like this one:
http://www.modestclothing.com/cgi-bin/group.pl?id=40

Here is one of most favorite clothing places:
It's called Coldwater Creek
Here are a few that are 'my style'

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/products/product.aspx?productid=37189&ensembleid=42890

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/products/product.aspx?productid=37183&ensembleid=43053

Check this out:

http://colleenhammond.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/petition.html

We need 250,000 signatures!

Aren't you sick of walking into Macy's, Nordstrom's, Dillard's, Target or Wal Mart (just to name a few) and not being able to find anything decent to purchase?

But another petition? Will it do any good?

It already has! Only 4,000 signatures collected by some teenagers  compelled the Dillard's in Tucson, Arizona to adjust its inventory and carry more conservative clothing. Read the story here!

Wouldn't it be nice to dress like a woman, without having to hunt and search for hours, days, and weeks?

So, what can it hurt to join us by adding your signature to the thousands that have already signed. We are already making a difference.

The following text will appear in a petition letter which will accompany all the names collected on this petition. All information submitted will be used only for the benefits of this petition!

Please read the message below and join us in support of this petition. Simply fill in the form below and click the "submit" button. Or, if you would rather print out the petition and mail it in, click here.

Dear Clothing Manufacturers and Fashion Designers,

We are surrounded by an abundance of racy, tawdry, and degrading clothing. Clothing that—only a short time ago—prostitutes would have been ashamed to wear!

We, the undersigned, are part of a world-wide grass-roots movement determined to find tasteful and feminine clothing to purchase for the women and young ladies in our lives.

We do not want:

·        Boyish or masculine looking clothing

·        Tight fitting clothing.

·        Plunging necklines and climbing hemlines.

What we want is decent, modest, and tasteful clothing that enhances a woman’s femininity instead of degrading it.

Surely you can appreciate the economic advantage you'll enjoy by taking the lead in this groundswell towards modest fashions! And think of how your store will benefit by the increased traffic just by catering to this growing segment of the population that wants feminine clothing!

Women around the world deserve to have a choice when it comes to fashion. We hope you will see that it is in your best interest to cater to this growing and influential segment of the population.

Be assured that when we see modest fashions in your store, we will happily be there with our open wallets.

mary
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2008 02:05 PM »

Thanks for posting this!  I work in an office and need to look professional - looks like Coldwater Creek will have some modest options!   Kiss

Mary 
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2008 03:29 PM »

wsalam,

I dunno if a petition is going to do anything. I think with retail stores it's all about $$$$ If they find it viable to sell more modest clothes then they'll do that. I haven't found any one store to be particularly modest. We just end up going around to different ones (avoiding the teenybopperish ones) and sometimes you can find some nice things. Some modest things come into vogue and that's a good time to buy, like right now it's those loose tops and wide leg pants. Also, a good trick is to find stuff to go underneath or on top to halalify stuff.

Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2008 07:13 PM »

Thanks for posting this!  I work in an office and need to look professional - looks like Coldwater Creek will have some modest options!   Kiss

Mary 

You're welcome sis.
I personally have always loved Coldwater Creek and they recently
opened a shop near me  Smiley
They're a bit pricey, the store has some sales 40 to 60% off.
I love their skirts. They also have real nice scarf's that are long enough
to use as a cover. purplehijabisis
CountlessBlessings
Sis

Reputation Power: 7
CountlessBlessings has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2008 11:26 PM »

Wow pretty skirts.  I love flowing printed skirts. I'm not really big on ruffles but I could learn to love them if the skirt were pretty enough
Yasmia
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Yasmia has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2008 02:25 PM »

Assalamo Alaikum Sisters,

I am with you on trying to shop for nice, modest clothing. I searched everywhere for a long denim skirt this summer (department stores, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Wal-mart, you name it). I found nothing anywhere. It was only until after the summer ended that I found a cute skirt at Burlington Coat Factory, go figure.

EBay is also a great resource. You can sometimes find abaya, but it's a great place to find skirts and suits with longer jackets. I searched for a particular size and length, and I've also found tunics, longer and less fitted sweaters. Lands End also makes some great long sleeve, longer shirts (tunics), but they're more expensive. I've also bought a bunch of hijab from Ebay and Jelbab (the latter most of you may know is in Jordan). Jelbab has very quick shipping, often free shipping depending on their sales and what you buy. They're having a great sale right now, as a matter of fact. I think their url is www.jelbab.com. But if that's not it, just Google it.

Wassalum,

Yasmia  purplehijabisis

tree
Sis

tree has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2008 11:41 PM »

Interesting topic seeing as I was just online looking for some abayas.  Don't mean to offend anyone, But is it just me, or do most of them make you look like aunties/very mature women??   bolt 
Or is it just the way they look online?  I just don't seem to be able to find any that are a bit....trendy...and not black! 
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2008 05:11 AM »

As with anything it's always a matter of shopping around.  I agree that most often when you find a long skirt you are shocked to find a huge split either up the side of the leg or up the back.  Of course if you are nifty with needle and thread and the skirt is the right design, you can make the split disappear.

I recently found some nice pants suits in the Woman Within catalog that offer the longer length jacket and the price was good so I'll be hitting the website soon. 

For me it's bad enough to be "top heavy" so if an abaya or jilbab is already roomy (read tent like) it really looks huge on me.  I've got a couple of those hanging in my closet sadly taking up space, along with some with sequined accents and lined chiffon which are way too dressy for work (I've so got to get away from the "it's so pretty" syndrome, although it does permit me to have something for any occassion or setting).  I love my denim jilbabs (some with matching scarves) as they are great for weekends or dress down Fridays (or whenever) at the office.

If I had the time to sew it would be cake to whip up a few simple skirts and matching tops and probably far cheaper, but unless I can figure out how to sew in my sleep or while driving I don't see sewing being a viable option, but I can always dream.

I'll have to check out some of the referenced sites, who knows what may catch my attention.

Fa'izah

Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2008 05:29 AM »

Don't mean to offend anyone, But is it just me, or do most of them make you look like aunties/very mature women??   bolt 
Or is it just the way they look online?  I just don't seem to be able to find any that are a bit....trendy...and not black! 

Now what age do you consider 'very mature' Tongue
Actually on the Coldwater Creek there are pages and pages of all different kinds of shirts.
The ones I chose were cause I am 'auntie' age (46)
purplehijabisis
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2008 04:01 PM »

peace be upon you

Here try also

http://www.shukronline.com/home.html

I buy my clothes from the UK branch, they're a bit pricey, butthey're very well made and last for aaaages, also the sales asistants are so lovely, and the customer care is second to none.

Wassalaaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
tree
Sis

tree has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2008 07:22 PM »

salaam

Yes, Shukr is the only site I've liked, but I haven't ordered anything yet because I've been unsure about which size - according to my bust/waist measurements I'd be a S/M at most but L for length/height.  I suppose I could order a M and just accept it won't be long to the floor!!  At least they account for shrinkage...I bought a linen Abaya before which was already short in length and after one wash the sleeves are 3/4 length and the overall length is to my shins  Shocked  Not a good look!

Blessedgrandma: 'very mature' is an age I'm fast approaching, but probably just in denial about, lol!!
shareislam
Sis

shareislam has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2008 12:20 PM »

salam sisters
I really like this site for trendy modest clothing www.newport-news.com.
I have ordered from them before, and the quality is good. Sometimes you can find really good deals on clearance.
 purplehijabisis
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2008 09:19 PM »

salam sisters
I really like this site for trendy modest clothing www.newport-news.com.
I have ordered from them before, and the quality is good. Sometimes you can find really good deals on clearance.
 purplehijabisis

mmmmmmm I like these purplehijabisis

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=30403096&index=7&gp_coll_id=9&gp_cat_id=1649&nav_cat_id=1704&category_id=1707

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/product_ensemble.aspx?ifn=F0763034_Q107_048_A&effort=1A&style_id=31416096&index=16&gp_coll_id=9&gp_cat_id=1649&nav_cat_id=1704&category_id=1707

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=26386096&index=21&gp_coll_id=9&gp_cat_id=1649&nav_cat_id=1704&category_id=1707

Suzanne
Sis

Suzanne has no influence :(

« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2008 10:15 PM »

purplehijabisis Finally have time to devote to actually READING and replying at the same time! This thread is amazing and SO helpful to me! Thanks!I have a hard time finding anything decent to wear but now I may be able to order from some of these places on line!
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2008 10:46 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

I've always liked ordering from Alhediya.com because you can custom order your items so you can get the size and length you need as opposed to what is pre-made.  Sadly I just found out that they are going out of business  :'(    :'(
So between now and the June closure date I guess I'll be attempting to stock up.  What I'm going to do after that is a mystery because it's often hit or miss with finding something I like, that isn't to dressy for work, that actually fits and doesn't have me going like this  Shocked when I see the price tag.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
Hayah
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2008 12:03 PM »

salaam

There are several blogs on the internet that cater for muslimahs looking for modest clothing in the USA, including niqabis! (Sorry mine is UK based!)

http://beautifulmuslimah.blogspot.com/

http://thecoveredlady.blogspot.com/

http://hijabchique.blogspot.com/

The owner of the first blog, Alixianna, is also starting out her own business, where they custom make matching abayas and shaylas, read more about it here: http://beautifulmuslimah.blogspot.com/2008/02/furasha-name-of-our-new-line-and-what.html

Also check out The Modest Clothing Directory http://www.modestclothes.com/ It has loads of links to Islamic clothing and modest clothing stores in the USA!

Hope that helps!
Princess1983
Sis

Princess1983 has no influence :(

Make duaa for those less fortunate than us.

« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2008 07:20 PM »

I've got to the stage of learning how to sew properly so I can make my own modest clothes.

At the moment I mainly buy long tops (to go on jeans etc) from Primark. My jeans come from all over the place.

Its never enough though-I prefer to have separate clothes for desi do's, home, work and pleasure. Not because I'm greedy Lips Sealed-my separating them they last longer.

Our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) wasn't just sent to guide us Muslims, he is a unique, true example to EVERYONE.
This life is only a test-passing will equal Jannah, Inshallah!
Oh Muslim brothers and sisters-consider sponsoring an Orphan if Allah has blessed you with the finances to do so-Ameen.
tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008 02:36 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
I ordered two shirts from islamic outfitters and they are wonderful - material is of good quality and stiching is very neat. I ordered them on Friday and recieved them yesterday!!

Here is their website, might help some one Smiley

www.islamicoutfitters.com/

Wasalam
tq
Disclaimer: I donot know the owners and not getting any profit Smiley
Yasmia
Sis

Yasmia has no influence :(

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008 03:53 AM »

Salam sisters,

I've been away from everyone for awhile and am glad to be back. I just checked out the Islamic Outfitters site, and the tops are very nice and affordable! I'll check out the other sites, as well. I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but JJill is another store, similar to Coldwater Creek, that sells nice modest clothing. The sizes run a little larger than normal, which also helps. Last year, I picked up two linen, long sleeve tunics that were perfect for me (couldn't see through them, either, which is sometimes a problem with linen). They, too, can be pricey, but they have good sales. Lands End also has some nice tunics -- not the plain ones you may be thinking, but nice loose fitting tunics with v-neck and embroidery at the chest and wrists. When I bought them, I thought they were expensive, but I've worn them a lot and they've held up in the wash.  Smiley

Wassalum,

Yasmia

Nadiyya
Sis

Nadiyya has no influence :(

« Reply #19 on: Jun 06, 2008 10:30 PM »

salaam
Oh sisters, was I happy to see this topic

I forgot which sister talked about abaya's being a bit "mature" i forgot to snag a quote but sometimes i feel the same way too. I am only a young 21 and I like to stay trendy and modest without looking older than my age and sometimes with a traditional abaya i feel that way

But here are a few good few sites for some nice things

www.2hijab.com
www.shukronline.com
www.rebirthofchic.com
www.almuhajabaelaniqa.com    ---great hijabs and more

i hope to add more links soon, inshallah

Nadiyya hijabisis

When the world pushes you to your knees, you are in the perfect position to pray

Be Yourself beautiful, and you will find the world full of beauty
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: