// Memon
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Delusions, like dreams, are dispelled by our awaking to the stern realities of life. - A. R. C. Dallas
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memon  (Read 3569 times)
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« on: Mar 06, 2009 10:30 PM »

asak
What is a Memon?

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2009 12:00 AM »

Yes!, Wikipedia comes to the rescue...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memon

Memon

(Gujarati: મેમણ; Urdu: میمن; Hindi: मेमन) an ethnic group tracing their roots largely to Sindh, Kutch and Kathiawar and are sometimes seen as transitional between the two regions.[1] A Sunni Muslim group, Memons predominantly adhere to Hanafi Sunni Islam although some are Maliki. Historically Memons are a mercantile community (and are generally referred to as a business community in Pakistan and India). Most of them are merchants and traders, industrialists, professionals and generally hold white collar jobs.

Role of the Jamaat

Memons generally tie to their respective locally well-organized societies called "Jamat", literally means congregation, which are generally established for the betterment and social welfare of its members which may include issuance of marriage license, matrimonial dispute resolution, adaptation and enforcement of the rules and guidelines against certain undesirable customs, establish healthcare and education centres, provide various facilities for the community need‎ and also financial support and housing‎ for the poor and needy members and sometime non-members.

The following are some common well organized societies or welfare associations called Jamaat (Gujarāti script: જમાત) of the Memons community which generally refer to their ancestral village or town.

Kathiawadi Memon Jamats

* Bantva,
    * Bombaywala,
    * Kutiyana,
    * kutchi,
    * Jetpur,
    * Vanthli,
    * Halari,
    * Okhai,
    * Gondal

Religious practices

Memons follow the Hanafi school of Sunni Islam

Marriage customs

Memons usually marry within their own social affiliation (Jamat) (endogamy), depending on circumstances a group (Jamat) may be as small as few hundred families and as large as few thousand families. For example Cutchi Memon define their jamat to be entire group having very few sub-groups whereas Kathiawadi Memons are branched into few dozens sub-groups. For Kathiawadi Memon a group, by and large, usually shares their ancestor village in Kathiawad as a reference point. Marriage between close relatives especially first cousins is discouraged but such reunion is possible where a group is too small. Marriage outside the social group (e.g. marrying a Surti Muslim) is now quite common and accepted by most Memons, although some community elders may still discourage it.

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
blackrose
Sis

blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2009 03:53 AM »

basically they are annoying haha

memons are pakistani people. There are types of pakistanis. Like there are punjabis and just plain urdu speaking people.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2009 03:54 AM »

memons usually go into business instead of education. Most of their last names end in 'wala' 
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2009 04:12 AM »

they are also made fun of as they tend to talk funny and chew tobacco or beetlenuts or paan. so their teeth tend to be colored somtimz lol
timbuktu
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2009 06:31 AM »

peace be upon you

Memons are also Indian, not just Pakistani. And nowadays, they are found all over the world, for being a mercantile community, they have travelled and set up businesses everywhere.

The previous generations were more commercially inclined. The new one is more educated, and some are professionals.

chewing paan and beetlenuts is now a Karachi-Hyderabadi habit. Ages ago, when a proposal came for my sister, I rejected it for the boy was not well-educated, and was addicted to paan. In my immediate family, some take paan but very rarely, indeed, and some, like me, avoid it altogether.

but what you say of Memons is also true of Dehli Saudagraan and Chinioti Shaikhs.

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2009 07:35 AM »

yes true and there are also types of memons like Im sure there are types of punjabis. my husband and I are diff types. Im 'jetpoor wala' and hes 'doraji wala'
timbuktu
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2009 08:06 PM »

peace be upon you

I have heard of Doraji walas, and I think they run a society, something like Doaraji (Kutchhi ?) Memon Society, but I never heard of Jetpoor walas. Could  it be Jodhpur? Jodhpur is a city in Rajasthan, propably its capital.

Memons have contributed a lot. The top Industrialists of Pakistan were Memons. And they run good charities. The way they run their community bus system in Karach is quite exemplary, too.

Come to think of it, my Memon friend in Birmingham was from Rajasthan, or rather of Rajasthani origin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: