// Can I use these words?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Beware of extremism in religion, since those before you were only destroyed by extremism." - Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I use these words?  (Read 2701 times)
Anonymous
« on: Mar 02, 2009 06:11 AM »

Hi

Good day! There had been some disputes on using these words especially from a non muslim. Are words like ALLAH, ASSALAMUALIAKUM and MUAILAIKUMSALAM permissible to be used? Aren't these words Arabic by nature and can be used by people from all walks of life?
Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2009 02:03 PM »

peace be upon you
Hi

Good day! There had been some disputes on using these words especially from a non muslim. Are words like ALLAH, ASSALAMUALIAKUM and MUAILAIKUMSALAM permissible to be used? Aren't these words Arabic by nature and can be used by people from all walks of life?

Allah comes from al-elaha, which menas the One and Only God. Now that does not allow for two, three or more Godheads or personalities. It does not allow for sons or daughters, etc. If you are referring to the same concept of Allah that Muslims use, then yes, there is no problem using the word. If, however, you were to use the term to mean a god in the Trinitarian sense, that would be akin to false pretentions, and that would be most unfortunate.

Asslamu alaykum is a phrase used by Muslims to identify themselves. Where I live, non-Muslims also use it, but I advise against it. It admits you to the club of Muslims only, and if there were Taliban who made congregational prayer compulsory for all Muslims, you would be hard put. So, I would not advise using that greeting or the return greeting "wa Alaykum asslaam" for non-Muslims.

and Allah knows best.
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2009 09:17 PM »

Peace be on the followers of Guidance,

I just wanted to tell you, welcome to this message board, and I am very happy that you are here learning about Islam.  Please feel comfortable and ask any questions that you have.

It is very nice and polite of you to ask about the usage of certain Islamic terms.  I will let Jannah or someone else answer your question.

I just wanted to say, thank you for coming by.

And Allah knows best.
Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2009 04:58 AM »

Hi

A quick question and appreciate your thoughts. Correct me if I am wrong. Is it not that the word Allah was used by the coptic (Arab) christians way ahead before the Prophet MUhammad (Pbuh)? Why then is it made into an issue in mordern times that results in disputes? I understand too, that Christians, Judaism and Islam are three major monotheistic religions originating from a common ancestor in faith ie, the Prophet Abraham or Nabi Ibrahim as Muslims refer to him.

Thanks!
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2009 05:30 AM »

Christianity did spring from Abrahamic roots, but Paul hijacked it.

Trinitarianism is not monotheirm. A god with multiple godheads is not a mono-god.

Now, if you were in a particular branch of Unitarianism, which does not regard Jesus (pbuh) as a son of God, or God himself, then yes, that would be monotheistic.

As for the Copts, I read about them ages ago, and have forgotten now, but when I get the time, I will look them up again.

Anonymous
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2009 09:55 PM »

Peace be on the followers of guidance,

Praise be to God.

Thank you for asking your question anonymous.  Please ignore the first post about the taliban, I think that person is just trying to scare you away from Islam. 

Let me see if I can help you with your questions:

1.)  Allah:  Allah is the One God of the whole Universe, He is the God of Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad.  There is no god but He.  Allah is the word used by Arabs for God, whether they are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or pagans.

The difference is that Muslims worship Allah alone, with no partners, and perfect His names and attributes.  While other religions, through the passing of time, attribute human qualities to Allah, such as children, opposites, etc.

Interestingly, I have an Aramaic manuscript of some parts of the Bible, and the world Allah (الله) is written nearly identically in both Arabic and Aramaic, so Allah is closer to the actual word used by Jesus and Moses, peace be upon them, then the word 'God'.

You are certainly welcome to use the word Allah.  Perhaps some Muslims feel bad when non-Muslims use the word Allah in a negative manner or to mock Islam.

2.)  Asalamualaikum means: "peace be with you".  It is the greeting of Muslims.  It is a prayer, a noble greeting, that was taught to Adam by the angels. 

An interesting story: during the time of the Prophet, pbuh, some Jewish people used to twist the words Asalamualaikum, in a way that meant "May poison be upon you."   

While the Prophet pbuh was walking with his wife Aisha, a Jewish person greeted the Prophet with the latter greeting.  His wife, Aisha, become very upset and said to the Jew:  "May the curses of God be upon you and His Wrath and Anger!"

The Prophet, the noblest of human beings, said to Aisha: "Take it easy."  She said, "Didn't you hear what he said to you?"

The Prophet replied, "Yes, and I simply replied, 'And to you also.' 

The Prophet then added, "Kindness is never added to a thing, except that it beautifies it.  And kindness is never absent from a thing, except that it leaves it deficient."

May Allah guide you to Islam, and please feel free to ask any other questions that you may have.

And Allah knows best.
Anonymous
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2009 03:30 AM »

Hi

Thank you for the kind explanation. Truly I am touched and I now understand better and it had cleared my doubts.

Best regards.
Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2009 11:22 PM »

Oh no problem, I am happy to help.  As they say in Arabic:  Ahlan wa sahlan, welcome and feel at home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: