Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 23, 2014 06:33 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Alas, poor imam.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where Can One Order Beautiful Saris Online?  (Read 14215 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Mar 10, 2009 07:13 PM »

Asalamualaikum

My friend is getting married next month and her fiance wants her to wear a beautiful sari for the next day brunch. Where can she order nice saris online?
UBAB
Bro

UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2009 08:17 PM »

Sister Blackrose, the best Sari's online are

http://www.utsavsarees.com/

Theres also, Satya Paul, but there prices are getting out of control along with their designs, but they have three stores in the US : (NJ, and 2 in Cali)
http://shop.satyapaul.com/

In Utsav,

The best Saris are in Fashion 2009, but designers ones are good to.

Don't go for the cheaper priced printed - because it will seem cheap for a wedding setting.

But please pay attention to shipping times - see what they say and build a safety factor of 2 (5 days shipping = 10 days), in case (had trouble with other vendors)

Best saris are usually between $100-200 (in terms of value quality and price) - below that, it could get risky/cheap looking, above that seems like a lot of money for a post wedding event.

Beware of changing fashions if its a concern for your friend, example, the mermaid style was common from 2006-2008 in Canada, now it may be overdone, but if it works for your friend, it's still a great design. But mermaid is an unforgiving design if her body type doesn't work with it.

Also there is a huge push into the transparent designs - but there's the added hassle of buying additional material - so it may not be such a great idea as time is short - she should buy in the next 2 days if shes going to buy online.

Careful of colours that are too unique, it would be hard to find a matching hijab that would work with it. Build in time to find a tailor who can properly make a blouse with the material - a good tailor can make a 3/4 length blouse with the existing material, whereas a crappy one couldn't even make a 1/4 or sleeveless properly ... unless she is going to risk it with an existing blouse. This point seems to be missed by many people, as it starts a cascading effect: a bad blouse and poorly chosen hijab can clash with the bangles and shoes

Finally, if your friend does not know how to wear a sari. find out someone who does - perferable a Muslim girl, as there distinct styles of wearing saris, specifically designer saris , like satya pauls,  are not designed for modesty

Disclaimer:   before I get booted off this site for providing the Fiqh of Saris oldshaykh: I buy and sell Islamic clothing (hijab, abayas, long skirts0 and Indian clothing such as saris and Indian costume jewelry for the Western Canadian market through our storefront there, so don't be mad if I am too forward about this topic - its better from a friend then your mother in law  Smiley

Just gave a call to one of our suppliers - he is currently in India, coming back on Thursday, so I will call him up then and ask what has changed - as North American saris are at least 8 months or more behind the styles of India or more if it's from Bombay, Calculata or Bangladesh

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2009 09:45 PM »

JazakAllahu Kair!

Did you accidentally put yourself as a bro?

she doesnt wear hijab.
UBAB
Bro

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2009 10:47 PM »

JazakAllahu Kair!

Your Welcome Blackrose,

Did you accidentally put yourself as a bro?

Ah...believe it or not, it's not a mistake - I'm a bro - my kufi wearing, bearded hockey playing brethren would not appreciate this fact, so I don't disclose this knowledge of saris and indian clothes to many; that's why I wrote the disclaimer  thobebro so that you guys don't vote me off the Islan... I mean Jannah.org

she doesnt wear hijab.

This will definately help with the timeline in getting ready - which by the way is too tight of a schedule already: to have a brunch the day after the wedding is crazy - especially since muslims have become picture crazy, theres like 2 hours of family pictures after a wedding then she get home at like 2 am  and by the time all the things are put away its like 4 am and then to get ready and look like the new freshing looking bride at like 9 or 10 in the morning (you said brunch!) Ask if they can push it to like 2 or 4 pm - seriously - at least they can enjoy their first meal as a husband and wife - or better - not have any events the next day .

Additional Risks of not being a hijabi in this case:
There willl be more focus on HOW shes going to wear it - especially if her future in-laws are from a sari wearing culture/group. Check to see if there are youtube videos or help videos on these sari sites - unless of course she is a regular sari wearer - like the style of drapping (there are three or four major styles: Bengali, Gurjati, South Indian/Dravidian/Tamil and Rajastani/Central India style) as important as the material and design (note: I didn't recommend what material that the sari as that's a whole new ball game surely to get me booted off this site )

If she doesn't fall in love with a sari and you are running out of time to select a sari, sometimes go backwards works better: she selects what shoes, purse and other accessories (check with inlaws, as they influence the accessories more than anything) she wants to wear that day, and then chooses the sari based on that selection.

Anyways I said too much and this pink background is hurting my eyes Smiley
Inshallah, your friend will find the sari of her dreams to cap a perfect weekend. bebzi

PS- If you are her friend you better carry enough safety pins, bobby pins and hijab pin with u that day to supply an entire army!  malaybro

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2009 11:14 PM »

wsalam,

I'd recommend buying a sari in person. It's just hard to see the fabrics, the work and how the sari would look on a specific person online. If she can make a trip out to Chicago, NY-NJ, Houston or any big city that has some desi stores she can find something in person, and also maybe find a tailor to make the blouse. In places like NYC you can buy the sari right there, they take your measurements and you can come back later that evening or tomorrow for the blouse. If you buy online you'll get the fabric but the blouse material is usually not sewn so she'll have to do that herself. They sometimes have plain blouse tops in a range of backgroundish colors to match any sari but they don't look as nice as the sari material. Also if she knows anyone coming overseas for the wedding they could buy a really gorgeous one at 1/3 the price. What's in right now is something called the "butterfly sari" so ask her to look for that.

ws
UBAB
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2009 12:24 AM »

Thanks Jannah! The perfect Sari is the Butterfly Pallu, although it came out in about 2005 it still carries well!

Please don't let me influence you too much, but

Grin Grin Grin Grin Georgette:) ! With beads, diamontes, sequins or threadwork, potentially pre-pleated (okay maybe not the last one:)

Definitions for the rest of the team:

Pallu
The pallu is the part that goes over the shoulder

Normal Sari
The 'pallu'  is the width of the sari

Butterfly
Narrow at the part where you put it over the shoulder to help carry it

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2009 04:57 AM »

Dude I was almost sure you were a sister:)

Shes mashAllah gorgeous. So anything will look good on her. She ordered a sari from Utsav. I will post the link of which one when I get to my comp. Its saved there.

yah so right about the pins I had to do it all for her sis (ru sure your not a sis?Smiley) But I hope she forgives me as I do not think I will attend her wedding...

I think its the hearts that r hurting the eyes.

I think butterfly saris are mostly out now..
I think silk saris look really nice.

salaamz
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2009 06:14 AM »

All the sarees here are so gorgeous and so cheap! Shocked

http://www.utsavsarees.com/pages/BestSellers.asp

Brother UBAB how and why do you know so much about memons and sarees?
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2009 06:17 AM »

fer real UBAB u know wayyy too much for a Bro  Cheesy

awww butterfly saris are out!! and i so always wanted one  :'(

the saris in the $400+600+ range are goooorgeous... but $400plus??? seriously, who spends that much on a sari?? u could get such gorgeous designer whole lenghas sewn in india for that much. and u could get those 700 ones for 200 over there. i can imagine paying 200 max if ur here but i didn't see any that were 'wedding nice' in that price range?? i hope she found a nice one..maybe like that 'red georgette sari' that's on sale looks very weddingish...http://www.utsavsarees.com/pages/sarees-large.asp?icode=X1413 oh i checked in the other categories there seem to be some very nice one's much lower priced...like:

http://www.utsavsarees.com/pages/sarees-large.asp?icode=SLSMA1007
http://www.utsavsarees.com/pages/sarees-large.asp?icode=SLSMA1051

and what on earth is faux georgette and why's it so cheap??

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2009 06:27 AM »

btw im so tempted to buy thisssssssssssssss: http://www.utsavsarees.com/pages/sarees-large.asp?icode=LDS371 but found some ppl complaining about their service: http://www.complaintsboard.com/byurl/utsavsarees.com.html so dunno...
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2009 07:47 AM »

salaam

Ok she ordered this one http://www.utsavsarees.com/pages/sarees-large.asp?icode=slsds1356
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2009 07:58 AM »

I like this one Jannah: http://www.utsavsarees.com/pages/sarees-large.asp?icode=SLLDS322
UBAB
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2009 12:12 PM »

Sister blackrose, well done! By choosing the lehenga saree you reduced the time to get ready significantly! The lehenga work is amazing, and will look even better when the sunlight hits it during the day (I'm thinking amazing outdoor pictures, inshallah)! Nice touch with the rust blouse! Inshallah she will really stand out that day .  fez

Now to make sure her husband looks just as good that day as she does... Smiley

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2009 12:24 PM »

btw im so tempted to buy thisssssssssssssss: http://www.utsavsarees.com/pages/sarees-large.asp?icode=LDS371 but found some ppl complaining about their service: http://www.complaintsboard.com/byurl/utsavsarees.com.html so dunno...

Sister Jannah, there are always risks in buying things, online or in person. At the same time, if you went to NYC or NJ and tried to find a Saree close to that, would it cost $100-125? Then add the gas to drive there and parking , and of course the cost of your time (even assuming you found it in the first store you went to - even then - one would visit 2 or 3 more to compare and make sure that was it was the right one - finally you would start the haggling dance)

I'm sure your new 22" monitor, which you will throw out in 5 years or less, cost more than that - but a good saree you can give to your daughter purplehijabisis, daughter-in-law niqabisis or niece shaykha

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2009 02:33 PM »

and what on earth is faux georgette and why's it so cheap??

Its a nice way of saying imitation georgette  Shocked ... if you can't afford the real thing, or if its not for the main event - it could be a nice alternative.  Smiley

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2009 06:25 PM »

bro ubab i agree that there is risk in everything but if you do a search on that particular web store there are at least 5 sites where people are complaining that they didn't get what they ordered, they order something and pay for it and then the store says "it got damaged" and that they have to choose something else, that what they receive didn't look anything like the picture, they paid for things they didn't receive and etc etc. this store is located in india. if anything goes wrong there isn't much you can do. there are women who said they called everyday to india trying to get their money back and were never able to. one woman lost 270 pounds and never saw it again. she even created a blog about it! i'm all for online shopping but people should be careful about where they're buying from. there's no rating system for overseas sites and there's no guarantee of anything. i'm honestly afraid for blackrose's friend. i hope everything goes well inshaAllah. it truly is a gorgeous sari and i hope she is able to wear it on her wedding.

as for driving to a large city and shopping, it's something we do here every season so why shouldn't she do it especially for her wedding?

as for my new screen it's awesome! much better priced than the sari Wink because i bought it on sale when circuit city was going out of business and i doubt i'll be getting rid of it anytime soon but who knows...by then we might all be using those huge clear glass star trek screens Smiley

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2009 08:54 PM »

I've already emailed the following to Blackrose and Jannah (the 2 people who are part of this thread), but in case there are others who was thinking of buying online (seeing that this thread already has 146+ reads), I am providing the following to the rest of the community:

My supplier just called me back (the one who recommended Utsav originally)... he was in Jaipur last week, and in fact visited the Utsav warehouse, and he told me that their quality is not to his satisfaction anymore. I'm sorry if this causes any inconvenience - I called him yesterday when I saw your message - but his wife said he was out of town till Thursday, but he was actually in the warehouse receiving his new shipments from India...

I'm sorry if anyone was misled by this info on this thread regarding external websites.

I do standby the statements I made on fabrics/material, style of draping, pins and the importance of finding a good tailor.

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2009 10:48 PM »

salam

I shop online for everything, I mean it everything; groceries, clothes, shoes, gifts, flowers, electrical equipment etc.

I've only been burned once, and that was my own recklessness for not having looked thro the company details properly, and obviously the sellers dishonesty. But there we go we live and learn...incidentally anyone want two hideous large leather handbags?? I'll send them out immediately their ugly as sin!

My advice, check out the website properly, find out where the company is based. The seller should never ever deduct money from your card unless the item has been processed and is on its way to you, if they claim its damaged demand a refund, no alternative.

Always buy with a credit card, you are pretty much covered, if the seller reneges on the sale or the conditions of the sale the credit card company will reimburse you (might deduct a bit but they will reimburse you), and the card company will chase the seller.

Other than that, buying online is an act of faith, altho to be honest, I would never ever buy from India, unless I was physically there, India is just so corrupt ime, I could not trust any online company based in India..... but that's my hang up!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2009 05:35 AM »

jazaks for the update. it's no problem. anyone buying something should always do their research and 'buyer beware' as the saying goes. you just posted some possible sites, it's up to each person what they wanted to do with it. inshallah it'll be fine. there was one girl who posted a picture of what she bought from them and it did seem very nice.

take care inshallah
UBAB
Bro

« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2009 09:20 PM »

Thank you sisters Blackrose, Jannah et al for your responses. thobebro

In our industry, all electronic records including most emails are considered legal documents, so  I wanted to quickly clarify any misunderstanding, especially when new information became available. The concept of information without responsibility or that information as caveat emptor is new to me, as this is the first blog I started posting in, and that by accident to (see intro)

Like sister Fozia, I've never had trouble with online purchases before, so I rarely do an investigation into them. In fact, since most of the online vendors deals with US Dollars that I recently got a US Dollar Mastercard through/thru our Canadian bank so that I can save on the conversion rate and "foreign exchange fee" that adds at least 3-5% to the purchase price every time.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2009 04:09 AM »

ws,

u guys lucked out i think.. i always have problems... even with amazon or ebay or big companies... they eventually sort it out but then i'm like whyyyyyyy didn't i just go to a normal store even if i have to pay a little more... i wouldn't have these problems. for example buying things on ebay that don't work, sure they give you your money back but they don't return your shipping or your money shipping it back. or amazon when you have certain coupons/gift certificates they just abruptly expire, or if you order something rare it's on hold for months... or if you order something big you can't return it, you have to send it to the manufacturer. web shopping doesn't seem to be anything easier except for browsing around to find if a place has what ur looking for.

anyway back to saris... a friend was saying she's getting one of these for her wedding. they're called dupatta saris and they are saris but they come with an extra gorgeous dupatta that matches and it's perfect for hijabis to wear just a neutral color underneath and then drape the dupatta on top... sooo lovelly....

here's some pics..http://www.cbazaar.com/Clothing/bigprdimgt.asp?prdintid=20176

http://www.cbazaar.com/Clothing/bigprdimgt.asp?prdintid=9970

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/ebaysalwar/paula/winner/2001avin4800.jpg

ps disclaimer don't know anything about the above companies.

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2009 06:54 AM »

I dont think I have ever ordered anything online..

Beautiful saree for hijabis (necklace is gorgeous also) http://www.utsavsarees.com/pages/sarees-large.asp?icode=SMR1254

Beautiful saree for Bride  http://www.utsavsarees.com/pages/sarees-large.asp?icode=SLSSK2745

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #22 on: Mar 25, 2009 05:25 PM »

It's Indian Fashion Week (South Delhi Area )

A link to a gallery

Note: Viewer discretion is advised   Shocked

Main Gallery
http://www.indiafashionweek.com/gallery/index.php?sr=10

Only One Saree that I could find
http://www.indiafashionweek.com/gallery/pages.php?t=0395

blackrose
Sis

« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2009 06:43 AM »

salaam

dude you should not be lookin at that:)

Ok well she got that sari in one to two weeks when they said they will ship it in 2 days. She did NOT like the quality so she returned it and now she ordered this http://www.benzerworld.com/collection2009/DepartmentHomePage.aspx?hm=1
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2009 06:44 AM »

ok it doesnt have a direct link so go to sarees (left side)(second row) and its the last saree (green) in the scroll down
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: