// The Love of Worship: Fasting, Hajj, and Zakat—Sh. Hassan
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.” Martin Luther King, Jr. quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Love of Worship: Fasting, Hajj, and Zakat—Sh. Hassan  (Read 1703 times)
Abdurahman
Bro

Reputation Power: 4
Abdurahman has no influence :(

Oh Allah, Guide us to the Straight Path.

« on: Mar 18, 2009 11:57 PM »

Bismillahir rahman ir raheem
March 18, 2009

The Love of Worship: Fasting, Hajj, and Zakat—Sh. Hassan

Asalamu alaikum wrt wb,

All praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds, All praise be to the One Who did not take a child, and has no partner in dominion, the One Who has no helper, Whom there is no God except He, the Creator of all things.  The One whom there is no god except He, Allah deserves all forms of worship, that is because Allah is the Truth, and what they call on other than Him is falsehood, and Allah is the Highest, the Greatest.

I bear witness that there is no god other than Allah, unique in His Actions; He has no equal, no partner, no opposite, no wife, no parents, nor children.  Say: Allah is One, the Lord and Sustainer of the Universe, He has no children, no parents, and there is nothing like Him.
And I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, the Leader of those who declare God’s Oneness, and His close Friend.  He is the most knowledgeable of people from amongst Allah’s creation, who said about Allah: Indeed Allah does not sleep, and it is not befitting of Him sleep.  His veil is Light, if it were lifted, the vision of the onlooker would be set ablaze.

May Allah send peace and blessings on Prophet Muhammad, the Shining Sun, and Allah opened through him blind eyes, sealed hearts, and left us on a clear manifest guidance. He is the caller to the best of actions and speech and character, and may peace be on his companions, family, and all those who follow his guidance and Sunnah, until the Day of Judgment. 

Welcome my noble brothers and honorable sisters, and may Allah reward you for your efforts.  I ask Allah the Loving and Generous, who joined us during this blessed hour, to join us with the Best of Callers, and Imam of the Prophets in the Gardens of Paradise.  You have done well, and earned a place for yourself in Jannah. 

My beloved: Jibreel asks, and the Prophet pbuh answers.  Lessons in Aqeedah and Tawheed, based on the Hadith of Jibreel, I present it to the beloved Ummah in a unique presentation, the questions and answers that take place between the Prophet pbuh and Jibreel.  Why not, and the questioner is Jibreel the trustworthy one of the heavens, and the teacher is Muhammad, pbuh, the trustworthy one of the earth.

In a hadith narrated by Bukhari in its abridged form, and Muslim, Ahmed, and others at length:  Ibn Umar said, my father (Umar bin al-Khattab) narrated to me: “While we were sitting with the Prophet, pbuh, a man suddenly came upon us, his clothes were extremely white, and his hair extremely black, and he had no signs of travel upon him, and none of us knew him.  He sat next to the Prophet, placing his knees next to his knees, and placing his hand on his thigh and said, ‘Oh Muhammad, Teach me about Islam…’ 
The Prophet pbuh said, ‘Islam is to bear witness that there is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is his messenger, establish prayer, pay Zakat, fast Ramadan, and perform Hajj if you are able.’  The man said, ‘You have spoken the truth.’  We were amazed that he asked him a question, then told him he was correct!  He then said ‘Teach me about Iman.’
 The Prophet replied, “To believe in Allah, His angels, His Books, His Messengers, and the Day of Judgment, and to believe in Destiny, its good and evil.”  He said, ‘You have spoken the truth.’  He then said…’Teach me about Ihsaan…’  The Prophet said, “To worship Allah as if you see him, and if you aren’t able to see him, then He indeed Sees you.”  He said, ‘Teach me about the Hour…’ 
The Prophet replied, “The one being asked does not know more than one questioning.”  The man said, ‘Then tell me about its signs.’  The Prophet said, ‘A slave-woman will give birth to her master, and you will see barefoot, naked, herdsmen competing in building tall buildings.” 
Then the questioner left.  We sat for a while, then the Prophet pbuh said: ‘Do you know who the questioner was oh Umar?’  I said, ‘Allah and His Messenger know best.’  He replied, ‘He is Gabriel (Jibreel), he came to teach you your religion.’ ”

My beloved, we continue in a series of lessons on the methodology of “Hadathani Abi” or “My father taught me,” a lost means of raising our young, which our houses are in desperate need of.  I ask Allah to make our houses places of peace and love and security, and that Allah raise our children, and that we raise them properly.

We continue in this foundational means of raising children: Tarbiyyah Through Acts of Worship, which comes after what we mentioned about raising children through good example, love, and Aqeedah.

Tarbiyya through worship is complementary to raising children through Aqeedah and Beliefs.  I spoke last time about the main act of worship that we must instill in our children, that is the Salat, and I don’t want to repeat, but let me emphasize that it is the most important connection between our children and their Creator.

After Salat, the next important foundation of Worship is Siyaam, or Fasting.  It is one of the greatest acts of worship, a pillar of this deen, it is an act of worship that trains the soul and the body. 
Siyaam is a form of worship about which Allah said:
“All the acts of worship are for the child of Adam, except Siyaam, it is for Me, and I reward for it.”

This is because Fasting trains us in sincerity, devotion, and love of Allah.  Invest in your child by teaching him Fasting. How can you raise your child on this act of worship?

You can train your child, even from an early age, to practice Fasting.  I am not saying we must force them to Fast, no it is not required of them, and I can’t imagine a person asking a child who is 3, or 4, or 5, or 6, to fast, and they are not able to.  But, there are children who have done this in Ramadan.
When the child reaches maturity, the parents should require him to fast.

Once one’s child is beyond childhood, he must Fast, and act according to the command of Allah, “Oh you who believe, Fasting has been prescribed for you like it has been prescribed for those before you, in order that you may attain Taqwa of Allah.”

But for an earlier age, we can let them practice, and there is no harm at all for the child to fast half the day, or until Asr.  If you find the child that he is not able to fast the whole day, then tell him the ruling, since many parents, we sometimes think our children cannot understand religious rulings, this is a wrong belief, we should tell him:  If a person reaches maturity, they must fast, as long as they are not sick, or traveling, it becomes wajib on him.

Fasting helps a child learn discipline, for a child wants food at all times, even a snack, a drink, but if you teach your child to fast, it will strengthen his will-power and discipline, since eating is something that he desires but if he prevents himself from this desire, he will be able to stop himself from other things in the future.  We use Fasting to train our child to perfect his morality and purify his soul, and clarify his conscience, and soften his heart.

Siyaam is a school, a madrassa of piety.  Say to him:  Know that Allah hears you and sees you.  Don’t think that you can go to your room and eat a cookie or some sweets, no Allah sees and hears you.

Your child will learn Muraqaba, realizing Allah is watching always, and that he should be watchful of Allah always.  Wherever you are, Allah sees you, and you should be mindful of Him.  “Allah has heard the complaint of the one who complained to you of Prophet about her husband.”

This understanding will grow with time, through experience, but you are nurturing an idea and letting it grow, so that Islamic society will benefit from this child, and you will see the fruits of your work on the day of judgment.

In Bukhari and Muslim, “The Prophet sent a meal on the 10th of Muharram to a tribe,”
This is the day that Allah saved Musa (Moses), so the Prophet fasted that day, and asked people to fast that day, and he said fast on the 9th and 10th so that we are different then the Jews, since Muslims have their own identity and beliefs and they should not imitate others, and should be proud of their own ways. 

The Prophet, pbuh, mentioned, “You will follow other nations, even into a lizard hole.”  The Companions said, “The Jews and Christians?”  The Prophet, pbuh replied: “Then whom?”

May Allah make us proud of our deen.

“So he sent the meal to the tribe, and he said, “Whoever woke up and ate already, then let him at least fast the rest of the day.  And whoever woke up fasting, then complete his fast.  Rubayya said, may Allah be pleased with her, “We used to fast, and we would make our children fast.”  (Pay attention to this, honorable sisters and mothers) We made our kids fast.”  And we made them toys from wool so if one of the kids would cry, we would give him the toy and keep him busy, until it was time for iftar.”

Look at how these women trained their kids to worship Allah!  They made their kids busy with toys until it was time for Iftar, then gave them their Iftar.  So the children would fast this day, even though it wasn’t even a day that is required to fast!  If a woman from the Sahabiaat would do this on an optional day, then how about on a required day!  Pay attention to this, honored sisters, the father might be busy, but the mother can teach the child love of fasting, praying, charity, hajj.

The Mother is a Madrassa that lays the early foundations of the child, the house is the first madrassa, and good and evil is imprinted on the hearts of the child during these early years.

We see from this hadith the merit of making children learn to fast.
Yes, we need to use fasting to nurture some beautiful meanings in the child’s heart:  Patience, piety, will-power, discipline, sincerity, and others.

Let me suffice with this foundation, the foundation of Fasting.

Now let us talk about Hajj, is hajj required from a child?  No, it is not even required for a mature Muslim if he is not able!

Allah says, ‘The Right of Allah on people is that they perform the Hajj for whoever is able.”

And the Prophet said, “Hajj, for those who are able.”

Yes, we don’t say Hajj is required for a child, but if a family has the ability to take the child, and I have seen many families bringing their children to Hajj, then what is more beautiful than this, and what a crucial foundation that is being laid.

Ibn Hajr, said, “The Imams of fatwa have said that Hajj is not required on a child, but if he does perform it, it will be an extra Hajj, and he and his parents will be rewarded for it.  When he matures, he must make his Hajj that is required of him.”

Imam Muslim narrates, on Ibn Abbas, “The Prophet met a caravan of people near Rawhaa, about 36 miles from Madina, and he said “Who are these people?”  They replied, “Muslims.”  They asked, “Who are you?”  The Prophet pbuh replied, “The Messenger of Allah.”  A woman held up her baby, from amongst the group, up on her hands and said, “Does this one have a Hajj?”
The Prophet said, “Yes! and you will have reward.”

The Sahaabi Sa'd said, “I was taken to Hajj, and I was only 7 years old.”

So there is no harm to take your child to Hajj, how beautiful would it be to see your child wearing the clothes of Ihram, and you have seen many of our children wearing Ihram, and saying the Talbiyya (Here we are at your calling, oh Allah), and it makes us so happy.

By Allah, some of them teach us beautiful lessons, and I am not exaggerating.  There was a child who was ten years old, he came up to me during Hajj, and was kissing me and hugging me, and then he said, “Oh Shaykh…”  I said, after hugging him and kissing him and making dua for him, “Yes?”  He said, oh Shaikh, I heard you were in this tent, and I came from far away to come to your tent, I have a very important request.”  I said, “What is it my son?” He said, “Please make dua for me that my Hajj will be accepted.”

What is more beautiful than to hear a child making Talbiyya, we even hear 7 or 8 year old children taking the loudspeaker and making the Dhikr on buses on Hajj.

And what is more beautiful than teaching your child to love the Kaaba, and love to go there, and love the place and environment, and you what is more beautiful than to have your child with you when you first see the Kaaba, by Allah.

I saw a child, who was making Tawaaf, and suddenly he was crying and shaking, and I knew that he didn’t know anything about Hajj, except that he knew of the awesomeness of this house, the House of the King of Kings, it made me cry.  It is so beautiful to see a child, who doesn’t know meanings, but knows feelings.

I said to one child, do you want me to carry you between Safa and Marwa?  No, no I am not tired.  This child didn’t get tired, he tasted the sweetness of this act of worship.

I say to the parents, who spend thousands to travel to Europe, I don’t say it is haram to travel, but I ask, does it make sense to take your child where he will see Fitnah open, in front of his eyes, since Fitnah is no longer hidden in those countries.

What a huge difference from such countries and taking your children to the Haram, to Madina, to the Masjid of the Prophet, and you take your child in your own hands, to give Salam to the Messenger of Allah!

And you take your child to the Rawdah, and you tell him stories from the Seerah.

What a difference, from a trip with your children to the Haram, to Madina, and from those who take their children to Europe, to see nothing but Fitnah and temptations, and their hidden desires are provoked.

Raising our children to love Hajj is one of the foundational means of teaching the child truthfulness, righteousness, and purity.
We must use these acts of worship to inspire our children to love obedience to Allah.

Remember this hadith in Bukhari: Sa’d said “I was taken to Hajj with the Prophet, and I was a child of 7 years old.”

The fourth foundation, Zakat.  And there is no difference of opinion that a child does not have to pay Zakat.  Except Zakat al–Fitr, it is required from a child.   His parents pay it on his behalf.

But, if a child has wealth, from inheritance, that belongs to him personally, then the parents must take out Zakat from his wealth.

If he doesn’t have wealth, then how do we raise the child to love Zakat and Sadaqa? as Allah says, “Take from their wealth Charity that purifies them.”

Zakat is purification for the wealth of the rich that removes from their hearts greediness, love of dunya, and miserliness.

And it is purification for the poor, to remove jealously and hatred.  Imagine a poor person living near a rich person, and he sees how much food is thrown in the trash, he will have hatred and ill-feelings.

Zakat purifies society from this hatred, so the rich is purified from greed and stinginess, and the poor are purified from hatred and ill-will towards the rich.

Few parents gather their children together, if they want to give Zakat, and teach their children that they are giving charity to such and such people, or certain family members.
A child should learn these things, so if I pass away, my children will be ready to give.

Teach your children to give, to love charity.  Tell them how you used to be poor, and teach them how you are now drowning in Allah’s blessings.  And tell them you have had so many blessings that 30 years ago you could have never imagined.

Teach your children that money is a passing cloud, teach, oh noble mother, that the dunya is four people:

A person who has wealth and knowledge, he spends it wisely and earns reward.
A person who has knowledge, but no wealth.  He has a good intention, that if he attained wealth, he would give it.  He earns the same reward as the rich wise person.
A person who has wealth but no knowledge, so he doesn’t give wealth, he is keeps it and is in a wretched state.
And a person who has no wealth and no knowledge, so he doesn’t earn by giving his wealth, nor by having a good intention to give if he could.

Teach your child, oh father, oh mother, to love to give Sadaqa.   It is beautiful, if you want to give Sadaqa, to give each child a portion, and have them give it by themselves.

Perhaps one night, you go out to visit a poor person, for the sake of Allah, to give wealth, and you bring your child, and he sees you crying to Allah out of the blessings you have been given, hoping that your charity will be accepted.

I said so many times, Tarbiyya isn’t sitting your child in front of you and giving him a lecture, no it is through example, through love, through your stations in life.

How beautiful to teach your child from his youth the danger of not giving Zakat, or from taking the wealth of others, or taking Sadaqa that doesn’t belong to you.

Hassan bin Ali, took a date from the charity, and you all know how much the Prophet loved Hassan, but said, “Throw it away, don’t you know we don’t take charity, throw it away, don’t take Sadaqa.”

Make your child memorize the verses that speak of the punishment of those who take the wealth of others.
Imam Bukhari narrates:  The Prophet pbuh said, “Whomever Allah gives wealth, and then doesn’t give Zakat, he will be given the shape of a bald person on the Day of Judgment, wearing choking rings, squeeze him and pull at his mouth, saying ‘I am your Wealth’.”  They were stingy in the world, and commanded others to stinginess.
“Those who pile up gold and silver, they will be branded with it.”
How many people are holding back the right of Allah, Most High.  The first thing many people do if they see a poor person, even if they are required to give Zakat, they turn to their sides, and then show their back to the poor person.
You might say, “So many people need money….”

Allah says, “They will be branded with it, on their foreheads, sides and backs.”  This, because they faced the poor, turned their sides to them, then their backs.
Allah also says, “Your wealth and children are a Fitnah for you.”  It is a test for you .

If you attained your wealth from Halal, then you are successful.  But if you take from Haram, you will be a loser in the dunya and Akhirah.

Someone might be bedazzled by the wealth he has piled up in the dunya, but that wealth, it will either disappear and leave you behind, or you will disappear and leave it behind.

I saw yesterday, with my own eyes, someone in France, taking food from a trash can.  In Britain, or America, many of you have seen the same thing by your own eyes.
“Say, the dominion belongs to Allah.”

The worldwide financial crises, which few have truly contemplated, they have not given thought to Allah’s words, “Allah will obliterate Usury, and bless Charity.”

Teach your child the value of Charity in the sight of Allah.  Tabaraani narrates in an authentic hadith that the Prophet said, “Sadaqa puts out the anger of Allah.”

Tirmidhi narrates that the Prophet said, “Sadaqa puts out sins like water puts out Fire.”

So give Zakat, and give Allah’s right from your wealth.

Then don’t leave it to that only, give extra wealth, and train your children to give charity as well, even from their allowances.  If a mother teaches her child to give a single dollar, she will find that he will become a beautiful fruit ripening in front of her own eyes.

There are still many more foundational acts of worship through which we raise our children:  through Dhikr, prayer at night, kindness to parents, to relatives, sending prayers on the Prophet, through remembering religious occasions, we will cover all these topics, inshallah.  There is no reason to rush in this critical issue of raising children, and I will take the time to explain it in detail, inshallah.

We have finished the subject of Tarbiyya through the four main acts of worship:  Salat, Siyaam, Hajj, and Zakat.
These acts clarify our conscience, and purify our hearts and souls, and how much blessing is in Worship!

Allah says, “Doesn’t the One Who Created know, and He is the Sublime, all-Knowing.”

May Allah raise our children to be righteous and noble.  Oh Allah grant us from our spouses and children the coolness of our eyes, and make us foremost of the righteous.

I will suffice with this, and may peace and blessings be upon Prophet Muhammad, his family, and companions.

Be merciful to those on earth, and the One in the Heavens will be merciful to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: