// The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith's
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Meet people in such a manner that if you die, they should weep for you, and if you live, they should long for you - Ali (radi Allahu anhu)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith's  (Read 3406 times)
CambridgeSister
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
CambridgeSister has no influence :(

« on: Mar 13, 2009 09:06 AM »

Salaams Book Lovers,

heart the series of books by Alexander Mccall Smith based on a ladies detective. Its a funny series set in Botswana, Africa with a beautiful Lady Detective, Precious Ramotswe.

The books are heart warming and innocent (so refreshing to pick up a book which has not been infiltrated with todays usual 'sexual' content and rude words).

The books have been made into a six part series. The first book was shown last year in March and the rest of the series returns this Sunday 9pm GMT  loveshower

Here's a sneak preview:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ladies/

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2009 05:01 AM »

ws,

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my eyes my eyes!!! haha i cant believe they're making it into a movie/series. those images just don't match with my imagination! i'm just going to keep my imagination one and think of that as a separate movie Wink !

we were talking about these books before here: http://jannah.org/madina/index.php?topic=752.0 i like reading them... makes me happy to read them and that can't be said for most books!!

CambridgeSister
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
CambridgeSister has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2009 07:12 AM »

salam,

Sis Jannah I saw the first of the series (based on book 1), last March 08 and it was soooooooooooooooooo good, I was crying, my sis was crying, my nieces were crying, even my husband. We also laughed  tv

Now when I read a book from the series I always have a vivid picture of the guys from the film. For me Jill Scott is the jolly Precious Remotse with a brilliant smile and perfect white teeth.   eye

I even bought some RedBush Tea from the suprmarket after watching it hehe
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2009 07:54 AM »

Ahhhh I gave in and am watching it on youtube:

ugh i hate that Note is at her father's funeral.. what a jerk why'd they put him in there.. and also meeting mr. jlb happens so soon. i think they should show her more in the stronger independent female mode she is in the books. it's definitely colored my view of the books a little wonder if i should continue... but i guess i could always go back and read the books to 'cleanse' myself of the movie Wink

apparently hbo is coming out with a full season series next year
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2009 12:41 PM »

Salam

Oh my!  I only read the first book, and yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Smiley

Dont want to watch the movie, I think it would spoil it for me!!! But thats just me...am trying to get hold of the other books in the series...

For anyone wanting an *actual* real-life, non movie experience, just fly to Africa!! Wink  Seriously, it is soooooooo worth the trip...

Salam
S.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2009 10:16 PM »

salam

I'm not watching the series either, as I feel it would ruin the books for me, I know they wont stay true to the books.

The books are lovely, very gentle, proper well told stories, it's hard to remeber they're written by a man sometimes, he has a veryy amusing, sarcastic and dry humour.

I do love the fact the books are not violent, or sexual in content, the hard work will you get you there attitude is very refreshing.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: