Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 16, 2014 05:13 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Once more into the quran, dear friends, once more.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FASCINATING! Study on Hijab  (Read 4221 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jan 17, 2008 04:42 PM »

salam,

Ok so they took two pictures, THE SAME GIRL, wearing hijab and not wearing hijab and then they asked people stuff like: How old do you think she is? What kind of education do you think she has? Do you think she's married? Does she have a sense of humor? Is she beautiful?

Wow...! And some of the answers are definitely not what you'd expect! Like they thought her more beautiful when she WORE HIJAB!

Check it out, I've attached it below:
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2008 04:42 PM »

From Washington Tribune blog:

A Muslim headscarf can make a big difference...

If you're a woman who wears a Muslim head covering or hijab, a lot of people might think you look pleasant enough but they wouldn't necessarily want you living in their neighborhood.

That's one conclusion to draw from research done by our friends at HCD Research Inc., using their MediaCurves technology.

They showed more than 600 people photos of the same woman, one in which her hair was uncovered, the second in which her head was covered with a hijab or Muslim head covering.

According to the HCD Research:

The study was conducted by HCD Research, using its mediacurves.com web site during January 2-3, to determine whether Americans possess different views of a woman based on whether or not she wears traditional Muslim headwear.

Participants were divided into two randomly assigned groups. Members of each group were asked to view one of two separate photos of an attractive young woman. Neither photo was identified in any way. Each sample was then asked identical questions about the woman, her age, perceived personality, activities, and how acceptable she might be as a neighbor.

One-third of participants indicated that they would rather have the woman with the traditional headwear live in another place, another city, and maybe out of the U.S, as opposed to living in their neighborhood. However, a clear majority of participants (89%) reported that the woman without the shawl would be welcome in their neighborhood.

It's ironic that as President Bush prepares to travel to the Middle East to talk to Israelis and Palestinians about living side by side in peace and security, so many Americans would say that they wouldn't want to live side by side with a woman in a hijab.

But it seemed like good news that nearly two-thirds of those polled said they wouldn't have a problem with a neighbor in a hijab, especially given all that's happened since 9/11.
salaampeaceshalom
Sis

Reputation Power: 2
salaampeaceshalom has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2008 08:28 PM »

This is really interesting.  Am not surprised by most of the responses though to be honest.  It also seems very similar to a project/'experiment' I've got in mind, just to do out of interest, and maybe to show/share if I ever get around to doing it!

Thanks for putting this up  Smiley

wasalaam

'If he woke up and had enough food for the day and shelter (a roof over his head) and he does not fear for his safety, then it is as if he has been given the dunya.'
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2008 01:25 PM »

peace be upon you

People are so weird, how on earth can one tell from a picture of a face, that a person is a working mum or not?Huh?

The whole study is very bizarre, and actually predictable, except the beautiful bit, obviously the people who dont want the woman to live in their neighoburhood are insecure about themselves and clearly do not need the extra competition, the ones who want the lady to be in another country moreso..... and that is my assessment of the 'study'

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2008 05:36 AM »

The findings from this study are reflective of the misconceptions that abound and shows that I guess we have a lot of work to do still to dispel those misconceptions.

For example, only in the photo with hijab did "having less than a high school education" or "some high school" enter the equation.

There were significantly higher percentages of people that believed that the young woman wearing the hijab was from a wealthy family, was married, was a stay at home mom or was Middle Eastern.

Fa'izah
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2008 02:45 PM »

Another point that just bothers me.  In the question regarding "lifestyle" I wonder why "lesbian" was even among what people thought of when they saw the photo with hijab; admittedly it was a small percentage but for it to even be there is disturbing.  Perhaps this has a lot to do with Muslims who have come forward identifying themselves as being gay or lesbian and pushing for reforms in Islam to embrace said lifestyle.

Fa'izah
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2008 06:09 PM »

peace be upon you

Those who answered the survey, prolly think all hijabis are daughters/wives of wealthy arabs.... It actually translated very amusingly into real life.

For example, when my non-muslim friend visits ultra expensive shops in Bond street, the security guard follows her around and the sales people are very snooty to her.....When I waltz in, the sales girls rush to help me, and the security guard opens the door for me to enter!!!!! Is it wrong to try on lots of stuff and then walk out without buying anything???

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Nadiyya
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Nadiyya has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2008 05:33 PM »

salaam

Yea that was pretty intresting. I wonder if they had showed her with her hair not look a complete mess what they would have thought.   Grin

hijabisis

Nadiyya

When the world pushes you to your knees, you are in the perfect position to pray

Be Yourself beautiful, and you will find the world full of beauty
mujaahid
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
mujaahid has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2008 10:20 AM »

This is a very interesting study.

Me and my wife live in an area where there are no Muslims. There are also very few non-whites, so we stand out like a sore thumb, especially considering my wife wears the full hijab/jilbab. However that said, we have rarely had any problems, and I really do feel the reason we have had so little trouble/issues, is we are always friendly and open to the neighbours and locals, we dont withdraw and keep ourselves to ourselves. I know train local kids in martial arts and my wife looks after the babies of some people, and its given them all a positive image of muslims.

Too many muslims where i used to live, would only ever come out of their house to go to the shop or take the kids to school. The rest of the time they stay indoors and very rarely interact with non-muslim neighbours, which obviously then causes resentment, suspicion and mistrust. 

I suspect the majority of people who know muslims see muslims as people who want very little to do with anyone else, prefer to keep themselves to themselves and are unsocial.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: