// Deaths of gamers leave their online lives in limbo
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Allah does not open the heart of a servant if it still contains three things: loving to remain [in the world], love of wealth, and concern about tomorrow." - Sahl Al-Tustari
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deaths of gamers leave their online lives in limbo  (Read 4621 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Mar 16, 2009 11:01 PM »

Kind of scary to think about this... maybe I should put all my passwords and stuff together... J.

=========================

Deaths of gamers leave their online lives in limbo (AP)

NEW YORK - When Jerald Spangenberg collapsed and died in the middle of a quest in an online game, his daughter embarked on a quest of her own: to let her father's gaming friends know that he hadn't just decided to desert them.

It wasn't easy, because she didn't have her father's "World of Warcraft" password and the game's publisher couldn't help her. Eventually, Melissa Allen Spangenberg reached her father's friends by asking around online for the "guild" he belonged to.

One of them, Chuck Pagoria in Morgantown, Ky., heard about Spangenberg's death three weeks later. Pagoria had put his absence down to an argument among the gamers that night.

"I figured he probably just needed some time to cool off," Pagoria said. "I was kind of extremely shocked and blown away when I heard the reason that he hadn't been back. Nobody had any way of finding this out."

With online social networks becoming ever more important in our lives, they're also becoming an important element in our deaths. Spangenberg, who died suddenly from an abdominal aneurysm at 57, was unprepared, but others are leaving detailed instructions. There's even a tiny industry that has sprung up to help people wrap up their online contacts after their deaths.

When Robert Bryant's father died last year, he left his son a little black USB flash drive in a drawer in his home office in Lawton, Okla. It was underneath a cup his son had once given him for his birthday. The drive contained a list of contacts for his son to notify, including the administrator of an online group he had been in.

"It was kind of creepy because I was telling all these people that my dad was dead," Bryant said. "It did help me out quite a bit, though, because it allowed me to clear up a lot of that stuff and I had time to help my mom with whatever she needed."

David Eagleman, a neuroscientist at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, has had plenty of time to think about the issue.

"I work in the world's largest medical center, and what you see here every day is people showing up in ambulances who didn't expect that just five minutes earlier," he said. "If you suddenly die or go into a coma, there can be a lot of things that are only in your head in terms of where things are stored, where your passwords are."

He set up a site called Deathswitch, where people can set up e-mails that will be sent out automatically if they don't check in at intervals they specify, like once a week. For $20 per year, members can create up to 30 e-mails with attachments like video files.

It's not really a profit-making venture, and Eagleman isn't sure about how many members it has — "probably close to a thousand." Nor does he know what's in the e-mails that have been created. Until they're sent out, they're encrypted so that only their creators can read them.

If Deathswitch sounds morbid, there's an alternative site: Slightly Morbid. It also sends e-mail when a member dies, but doesn't rely on them logging in periodically while they're alive. Instead, members have to give trusted friends or family the information needed to log in to the site and start the notification process if something should happen.

The site was created by Mike and Pamela Potter in Colorado Springs, Colo. They also run a business that makes software for online games. Pamela said they realized the need for a service like this when one of their online friends, who had volunteered a lot of time helping their customers on a Web message board, suddenly disappeared.

He wasn't dead: Three months later, he came back from his summer vacation, which he'd spent without Internet access. By then, the Potters had already had Slightlymorbid.com up and running for two weeks.

A third site with a similar concept plans to launch in April. Legacy Locker will charge $30 per year. It will require a copy of a death certificate before releasing information.

Peter Vogel, in Tampa, Fla., was never able to reach all of his stepson Nathan's online friends after the boy died last year at age 13 during an epileptic seizure.

A few years earlier, someone had hacked into one of the boy's accounts, so Vogel, a computer administrator, taught Nathan to choose passwords that couldn't be easily guessed. He also taught the boy not to write passwords down, so Nathan left no trail to follow.

Vogel himself has a trusted friend who knows all his important login information. As he points out, having access to a person's e-mail account is the most important thing, because many Web site passwords can be retrieved through e-mail.

Vogel joked that he hoped the only reason his friend would be called on to use his access within "the next hundred years or so" would be if Vogel forgets his own passwords.

But, he said, "as Nathan has proven, anything can happen any time, even if you're only 13."
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2009 02:56 PM »

As salaamu alaykum
Seriously- any one of us could die. I feel close to many on this board...
When people disappear... we don't know why.
Any suggestions?

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2009 04:21 AM »

wsalaam,

become friends in real life??
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2009 06:57 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Seriously- any one of us could die. I feel close to many on this board...
When people disappear... we don't know why.
Any suggestions?

I was trying to find the previous thread in the archives when you raised this topic before to see what we said then.

Unfortunately, I couldnt' find it but if you can, let me know.

PS Rummaging through the archives is a scary thing. We were all so much younger then, I even found Sr JO's first ever post and introduction!!  Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2009 10:31 AM »

salam

We aint friends??? Shocked
wsalaam,

:'(

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2009 11:10 AM »

oh my! you did?

that IS scary, considering I wasn't even "JustOne" back then!

I've thought about this before, especially since my mom was fond of using the "if you die, these people will never even come to your funeral" to try to coax me off the internet to do some chores. Smiley

I think I'd rather just dissappear to all the people who don't know me in real life.
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2009 11:45 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

We aint friends???  Shocked

Of course we all are, this just isn’t real life.

[Ermm..not sure that sounds much better either to be fair!!!] Wink

oh my! you did?

that IS scary, considering I wasn't even "JustOne" back then!

Exactly, that’s what I was so surprised when I came across it!!

Don’t worry I’m not going to put up the link since we’re all friends right?  bro

if you die, these people will never even come to your funeral

On a serious note, it may be true that we are not able to attend funerals but one never knows whose du’as are accepted by Allah and du’as are certainly something we can all make wherever we are in the world and something we are all in need of.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2009 12:22 PM »

salam

Continuing the serious and rather morbid tone.

I actually regularly remember all you guys in my duas, OK so we don't know eachother real names (well most of us don't), or what we look like, but I think a lot of us have grown up with the Madinians in our lives for support.

I found Jannah when I was expecting Fatima, whilst I was on maternity leave and looking for stories of Muslim women.
Fatima is now 6 years old!

I really do feel that sometimes, when nothing but dua will do I turn to the madinans because whatever we do wherever we are we all pray to the one Allah, and I'd rather various small duas (thoughts) from all over the world for a rather forlorn unknown sister than none at all.

For me personally the Madina has given me comfort during a rather trying few moments in life, I tend to take the advice offered more serisouly too, as we are brothers and sisters in Islam and I know the advice will reflect that.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 23
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2009 03:12 PM »

Yup. I agree, become friends with whom you like to get in contact...
...at the Madina Message board;)

"Do not treat people with contempt, nor walk insolently on the earth. Allah does not love the arrogant or the self-conceited boaster. Be modest in your bearing and subdue your voice, for the most unpleasant of voices is the braying of the ass." [The Holy Qur'an, Surah Luqman - 31:18-19]
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2009 08:06 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

I still think we should have one big Madina get together one of these days and have everyone fly in to somewhere central.

Who knows one day we could have a gathering of the Madina in Madina?  bro

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2009 08:41 AM »

wsalam,

yeahhh or like someone's wedding.. we could all drink  bebzi toasts together Smiley that would be soooo cool OR we could all go for vacations at ATLANTIS Dubai!!!  surfer how cool would that be  bouncygrins

hey if i ever got married i'd invite u all... so start makin dua!@ Wink   bropraying bropraying bropraying
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2009 09:38 AM »

salaam

I like the idea of becoming friends in real life. we should have a meeting somewhere planned every yr and if people can they come if they cant then they cant. maybe everyone will get to meet someone atleast once?
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2009 10:18 AM »

salam

Perhaps we should just have get togethers in each country, we'll start somewhere central in the states (can you imagine they mass hysteria an influx of visibly Mozlem tourists would have on the American immigrations people!!! Shocked Cheesy), then we do England, then Africa and slowly we go further out altho I appear to have missed out Canada, sorry we'll do Canada after America.

Great way to see the world at the same time, no?Huh?

Wassalaam

UBAB
Bro

UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2009 10:53 AM »

Why not start small? Like meeting at an Islamic Conference first? Such as ISNA or ICNA Convention or something like that - and going to a great local location from there - either a tourist location or a halal resturant... or even stayin' at the conference hall ... that way you gain some knowledge, do some networking, and eat a great meal Smiley

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2009 08:20 AM »

wsalam,

i like the idea of meeting at conventions or something... i don't think many people have the money to fly out abroad to just meet people or something. there's two conventions coming up in the US: ICNA memorial day weekend (last wknd in may) in Hartford, CT and ISNA July 4th weekend in Washington DC... anyone going to either of these???
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2009 12:30 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum  bro

Okay hypothetically how many people would be interested if we could organise something in say the States and the UK?

idunno

*BrKhalid raises his hand to get the ball rolling*

Any other suggestions/ideas/comments/thoughts/brainwaves/flashes of inspiration most welcome  bro

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2009 01:08 PM »

salam

I'm there, and my girls (do we count as three?)

Wassalaam

Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2009 06:11 AM »

Assalamu'alaikum,

I second the conferences idea.

But , man, I dont know abt travelling for ISNA or anything below New York anymore. That 15 hour drive to Ohio last year... well... ahem. I thought that would be my last.

Didnt we daydream smt like this before and we're supposed to meet up for haj or umrah or smt?

Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #18 on: Mar 24, 2009 07:23 AM »

Salam alaikum

lol...Wink  I have met only 2 fellow madinites in real life so far, mashaAllah, wish I could meet more!  Smiley

But there would be some trouble getting a visa to the US stating "I want to attend an *islamic* conference, and met some muzlim friends I met on da interneeet!"...yeah, that would not go down too well.  Many ppl I know have been denied visas, its an expensive waste of time and energy.

The UK just instituted new visa laws, requiring us to have a visa to enter the UK.  I knew I shouldve done the whole London thing before this, but I just assumed I could hop on a plane at any time, where or where is that EU passport I always covetted??

Anyway, I think ALL of you should save up big time, and come on Safari to Africa.  We can ponder on the Majesty of Allah and His beautiful creation, see a part of the world most will never experience, and have fun doing it.  Once in a lifetime, let that once in a lifetime be with some good friends, inshaAllah.  Bunjee jumping can b arranged for those so inclined Wink and we can ride on elephants and walk with lions...

Come on already!
Salam
S.
tq
Sis

tq has no influence :(

« Reply #19 on: Mar 24, 2009 12:58 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
Wow that would be a great idea to meet everybody Smiley
I have met only 3 Smiley actually 4 if I count my son also Smiley

Sr.Shahid the trip to Africa sounds soooo good , the place where I work has an office in SA and most of the people are from there and they always talk about how wonderful it is - let me just save for 3 college tuitions, then 3 weddings and then I will be there Inshallah Smiley

Wasalam
tq
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #20 on: Mar 24, 2009 01:56 PM »

As salaamu alaykum!
I want to come... but I gotta make my Hajj first!

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2009 07:59 PM »

Well, I have met Shahida and talked to blackrose on the phone recently! 

Don't forget, Kenya is a great country too, with African Safari among other delightful events/experiences. And we are very friendly as people and welcoming as well. Karibu Kenya (meaning Welcome to Kenya in Swahili).

Halima
Camp East Lansing, Michigan, USA.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
UBAB
Bro

UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2009 09:01 PM »

I've only been part of Madina for about 7 weeks compared to 7 years of other members, but the brothers I would like to meet, inshallah, given the chance are

BrKhalid
Abdurahman
Timbuku (yeah, I would travel to Pakistan to see him, inshallah)
and
abu yusuf nuh ibn zbigniew gondek al kitab (NUH) - who seemed to disappear the same time I joined.

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
blackrose
Sis

blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2009 01:09 AM »

I have met one. and talked to sister Halima, sister Kathy, sister Maliha, Sister Umm Ibraheem on the phone
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2009 07:02 AM »

Salam alaikum!

Sis Halima!!! Smiley nice to see you!  Ok, so I have never been to Kenya either, so it would be the perfect place for our Madina get2getha! 

Sr Kathy, I pray that Allah swt will make it easy for you to make Hajj sooooooon!  I would like to be there next to you and see you on the Day of Arafah Smiley

I love making plans, and travel plans are by far the best. Even if only in my head for now...
Salam
S.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: