// White Girl - North American premiere
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Never forget that turning a blind eye to oppression and watching from the sidelines is itself opression - Harun Yahya
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: White Girl - North American premiere  (Read 2739 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: Mar 18, 2009 08:35 PM »

White Girl - North American premiere - Sunday March 22 at 9 pm

How does the daughter of a white working class woman find sanctuary in
Islam? This provocative and emotive drama stars Holly Kenny as Leah, an
11-year-old whose adoption of Islam to escape the pain and strife at home has
a profound impact on her family.

(Being shown in Canada on the TV Ontario Channel)

Preview video clip

http://www.bbc.co.uk/white/white_girl.shtml

This provocative and emotive drama from the Bafta Award-winning writer of Sex Traffic tells the story of the clash of cultures that occurs when a white family relocates from Leeds to an otherwise wholly Asian community in Bradford.

Abi Morgan's compelling film is told from the perspective of 11-year-old Leah, played by newcomer Holly Kenny, whose world is turned upside down when her mum Debbie (Bleak House's Anna Maxwell Martin) moves the family to Bradford to escape the fallout from her recent relationship break-up.

Leah becomes friends with her neighbour Yasmin and discovers that the culture she was initially intimidated by isn't so alien after all. She is soon seeking sanctuary in the rituals of Islam, away from the pain and strife at home. But this innocent fascination turns sour for Debbie when her daughter comes home wearing a hijab, and the family's violent reaction has explosive consequences for everyone.

Credits:
CastAnna Maxwell Martin... Debbie
Holly Kenny... Leah
Daniel Mays... Stevie
Melanie Hill... Sonya
Jay Simpson... Adam
Jade Islam... Yasmin
CrewWriter... Abi Morgan
Director... Hettie MacDonald
Producer... Andrew Woodhead
Tiger Aspect Productions

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2009 04:16 AM »

Sounds very interesting... also interesting they picked an 11 year old... guess it makes it more innocent that way... Saw a similar film a while ago called Anita & Me... about a young desi girl who moved with her family to the north of England to a working white class rural neighborhood...i think the time period was supposed to be the 60s/70s. can't remember if they were supposed to be muslim or not. but it was a very powerful film. here found it on imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303661/
CambridgeSister
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
CambridgeSister has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2009 09:33 AM »

I haven't seen/heard of the film but it reminds me of a video I saw online a few years ago.

Had a bit of trouble finding the original link with a better format but I found this:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2009 10:43 AM »

I just started watch it on Youtube...caus' I could wait until tonight...

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

UBAB
Bro

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2009 04:19 PM »

I just finish watching it - it's a BBC drama - not a documentary - just in case anyone is confused -  If you want to watch it, I would recommend the youtube version as the poster of movie gives warning before certain scenes - allowing you for forward past those scenes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: