Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single muslim man is in want of a muslim wife.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I just ate a Big Mac and Chicken Nuggets from McDonalds!  (Read 3424 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: Mar 19, 2009 06:25 AM »

I'm not sure if this qualifies for a topic of the week but...

I just ate a Big Mac and Chicken Nuggets from McDonald's!

There I said it - with well over 430 known halal restaurants in the city  - why did I have a Big Mac? And Chicken Nuggets?

Basically there is no food on earth that tastes as good as a Big Mac  Shocked

Before you send the calvary - the Big Mac and Nuggets were from Kuwait - with big letters on them stating that they are Halal.

This brings me to the questions I want to ask:
Is there support for a Halal McDonald's in North America? I'm not talking about the dearborn style chicken sandwich and chicken nuggets - but a full serve McDonald's similar to 2 franchises in Australia

Second,
Is the price of halal meat preventing people from eating halal in North America?

It occurred to me that the main reason Toronto has so many halal restaurants is because the largest producer of chicken in the province, Maple Lodge Farms, has been certified halal by ISNA since 1991 - this has lead all 22+ Popeyes Restaurants and almost a dozen KFCs, Moes, Mary Browns. etc to serve halal meat.

But the main reason seems to be price  - there are places in western Canada that is paying 4 x price we are paying for halal chicken, so many families there do not follow zabihah halal.

The price of halal chicken in Toronto is on par or slightly higher than non-halal chicken. The Walmart Supercentres (Supercenters) carry halal products in freezers along with other 24 hour major supermarkets on top of the over 100 halal meat shops in the city - which means you have access to halal meat 24 hours a day here. In addition, Walmart serves halal rotisserie chicken (roast chicken) at many of its locations - at some locations, you have to wait half an hour to get this prepared roast chicken.

So I want to ask you - How much do you pay for the following: 

(I'm listing Toronto prices in US dollars)

lb of Halal Chicken (dark meat) =  $0.79 per pound (40 lb retail box)
lb of Halal Chicken (breast meat) = $2.09 (11 lb box)
lb of Halal ground beef (regular) = $1.53
lb of Halal ground beef (extra lean) = $2.68
lb of Halal beef (with bone) = $2.30
lb of Halal beef (boneless) = $3.07

Halal Chicken Hot dogs = $0.80 per pack of 12 dogs (when you buy 24 pack box)
FrozenBeef Burgers = $3.85 (8 patties)

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2009 02:07 PM »

Assalaamu Alaykum, Brother.

Consider yourself VERRRRY lucky.  If you want to see the kind of prices we pay here in the US, take a look at:

http://www.midamarhalal.com/

For example, a 1.5 lb package of chicken breast is $7.00!  And that's not including shipping....

saleem
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
saleem barely matters :(saleem barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2009 07:13 PM »

I got chicken for $2.49/lb and beef tikka for 3.49 the other day....its much more than b4 but still ok.... fez
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: