Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 16, 2014 02:36 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: O rishta, rishta, wherefore art thou my rishta.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I learned something new today  (Read 4487 times)
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« on: Mar 01, 2009 02:16 AM »

I love to crochet, and always wanted to learn how to knit and also to spin fiber into yarn.
I learned both today. The spinning I did with a drop spindle, it was a little boring but fun.
It made me realize I don't know how to slow down and relax. Sitting, doing hardly anything for me is kind of
'painful'  Roll Eyes cause I'm so use to being on the go go go go go, sitting still is foreign to me. Cheesy
I'm working on learning how to relax. Even if it hurts  Tongue

Wondering? Any sisters out here wanting to always learn something but never took the time to do it?
What is it? Maybe some of us can encourage you.  purplehijabisis
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2009 02:41 AM »

I want to learn how to sit still and relax and then smell the roses....

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2009 02:58 AM »

I want to learn how to sit still and relax and then smell the roses....

Yeah, well Sis, let me know when you figure out how to do that LOL then share your secret.
I felt like I was on pins and needles and had to get up a few times when the lady was showing me how to knit and how to spin,
It was fun, but drove me nuts sitting still. It makes me feel like I'm wasting time.
Hard to learn to sit still and relax when we're use to going at the speed of light all day long. Wink
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2009 12:38 PM »

salam

Wooohooo I could do something Sr Blessedgrandma couldn't  Cheesy, we were taught to knit, sew and crochet in primary school I was better at knitting than sewing as no sharp points in knitting needles.

I'm in the middle of knitting a patchwork blanket, I knit loads of square before my divorce, as it helped to concentrate on my knitting then, but life has accelerated and as I'm living in fast forward I have no time to finish the blanket, which is a bit annoying. But I'll get round to finishing it someday inshallah.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2009 01:43 PM »

Assalaamu Alaykum, sisters...

Like sister Fozia, I learned how to knit, crochet and sew when I was young.  However, just a few weeks ago, I took a couple of classes in basket weaving.  That was great fun.  If I find the time, I'd like to keep it up and learn more.

Some things I always wanted to learn:  weaving and pottery.  Maybe someday....
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2009 03:53 AM »

I would say I learned to knit years ago, but found it incredibly  boring.
For some reason, 35 yrs later I wanted to learn again, know what?Huh? It's still boring  Cheesy

I love to crochet, it seems like it goes much faster, however I'm wanting to knit some socks, I love knitted socks.
The drop spindle method of spinning is also amazingly boring, but spinning on a wheel is great.
Next? I want to learn yoga and relaxation techniques.
Next winter, I'd like to try skiing.  Shocked Smiley

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2009 04:51 AM »

you wont believe that I made a huggge list on here and then just erased everything because it would never end Roll Eyes
Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2009 03:56 AM »

no fair sis blackrose, i wanna see your list, or at least some of it. Smiley purplehijabisis
cat
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
cat has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2009 10:51 AM »

Slm, i would like to learn how to successfully start and maintain a vegetable garden.  Oh before i do that it is important that i learn to landscape the place so the garden does not wash away.

I would also like to learn woodwork and make (small) furniture and the fun part of decorating / painting / finishing it.

Insha Allah.

Blessedgrandma
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2009 05:47 AM »

Sr. Cat, no need to worry about landscaping, have you heard about 'Container' gardening?
You can use large planters and grow strawberries, tomatoes, herbs, cukes, string beans and more.
There is a book about Container gardening, I'll try to look it up and post the author in cause you'd like
to get the book. I've known folks in apts growing a small veggie garden in containers on their balconies.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2009 11:03 PM »

There is lot of things I wrote, but I realized mostly I need to learn to be paralegal. Because that is what I think Im going go into now.. Anyone know a paralegal?
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2009 11:04 PM »

Right now the focus is on becoming independent

salaam
cat
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
cat has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2009 01:48 PM »

Sr. Cat, no need to worry about landscaping, have you heard about 'Container' gardening?
You can use large planters and grow strawberries, tomatoes, herbs, cukes, string beans and more.
There is a book about Container gardening, I'll try to look it up and post the author in cause you'd like
to get the book. I've known folks in apts growing a small veggie garden in containers on their balconies.

Slm BlessedGrandMa,

yes, at the moment i am trying my hand at container gardening and making a valiant attempt at keeping my geese away from the containers.

We have this huge yard / garden and it seems like such a waste to be planting in containers when there is all this space around us suitable for plants.

In the containers we have at the moment chillies (not very successful in growing these beyond 1cm), green beans, peas, mint, corriander and some flowers Insha Allah.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: